Employees of all stores--post your stupid customer stories--part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='greendj27']Was it your nephew? ;)[/QUOTE]

:lol: he's 7!

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Who cares? Is it really that huge of a deal? And maybe if you store didnt have such a shitty check policy maybe it would be better?

Very Rarely are game stores that busy.[/QUOTE]

Ummm... OK... I don't work at a game store, ya know. And check payments polices suck everywhere because it's too damn easy to print fake ones.

So at my store, the basic routine is, 4-5 people get in line while I loan the person a pen, wait for the check to get written, then re-written becuast they wrote the wrong store name on it, then for the balance book to get filled out before they hand me the check... then wait for ID because they put their wallet completely away...

Then, 2 days later, I get in an argument with said person because now they want to return half the stuff they bought, get cash instead of store credit, but not wait the 10 day check clearing period that's been policy for years.

I think I can be miffed when I see that checkbook come out... :D

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Ummm... OK... I don't work at a game store, ya know. And check payments polices suck everywhere because it's too damn easy to print fake ones.

So at my store, the basic routine is, 4-5 people get in line while I loan the person a pen, wait for the check to get written, then re-written becuast they wrote the wrong store name on it, then for the balance book to get filled out before they hand me the check... then wait for ID because they put their wallet completely away...

Then, 2 days later, I get in an argument with said person because now they want to return half the stuff they bought, get cash instead of store credit, but not wait the 10 day check clearing period that's been policy for years.

I think I can be miffed when I see that checkbook come out... :D[/QUOTE]
You forgot writing the driver's license number on the check. That's why I hate Marc's (an Ohio grocer). They just started accepting Discover as the only credit card there, previously it was all cash or check. And God knows the woman with one thousand items in her cart was bringing out her checkbook. And no, they don't have scanners either. The cashiers have to look up the price on paper, memorize it, or hope the price tag is on every item to ring it up.

[quote name='botticus']You forgot writing the driver's license number on the check. That's why I hate Marc's (an Ohio grocer). They just started accepting Discover as the only credit card there, previously it was all cash or check. And God knows the woman with one thousand items in her cart was bringing out her checkbook. And no, they don't have scanners either. The cashiers have to look up the price on paper, memorize it, or hope the price tag is on every item to ring it up.[/QUOTE]

What...?

Are you serious?

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Who cares? Is it really that huge of a deal? And maybe if you store didnt have such a shitty check policy maybe it would be better?

Very Rarely are game stores that busy.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Yes, she works at a game store, when all her stories are about fabrics and crafts and people talking about "JoAnn Fabrics". I know when I'm at Gamestop, and I get bad customer service, I always tell the employee "You think you'd want to prevent a JoAnn Fabrics sale".

[quote name='Roufuss']What...?

Are you serious?[/QUOTE]
Yessir. It's the cheapest grocery store for a reason.

The only bonus is occasionally you can get stuff really cheap cause the cashier forgets the price and doesn't bother checking it, or you can not-so-subtly hint what the real price is.

[quote name='Roufuss']:rofl:

Yes, she works at a game store, when all her stories are about fabrics and crafts and people talking about "JoAnn Fabrics". I know when I'm at Gamestop, and I get bad customer service, I always tell the employee "You think you'd want to prevent a JoAnn Fabrics sale".[/QUOTE]

:bouncy: Ya know, I'm gonna try that one of these days, just to see what the GS guy does.

I really hate the customers who call up, asking for a random CD or DVD (something I know we don't stock on a normal basis). I tell them we don't have it in stock (and my inventory computer let's me know if we did have one but sold it recently). He/she then claims that according to the store's website, we should have it in stock.

You know, I can almost see their raised eyebrow's through the telephone wires. It just sucks because to the customer I am just another lazy retail worker who doesn't know how to do their job, when that's anything but the truth.

[quote name='Scahom1']I really hate the customers who call up, asking for a random CD or DVD (something I know we don't stock on a normal basis). I tell them we don't have it in stock (and my inventory computer let's me know if we did have one but sold it recently). He/she then claims that according to the store's website, we should have it in stock.

You know, I can almost see their raised eyebrow's through the telephone wires. It just sucks because to the customer I am just another lazy retail worker who doesn't know how to do their job, when that's anything but the truth.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. I just had a customer today tell me that I knew nothing about CD-Rs since his CD burner in his computer will only let him burn music on those music labeled discs that are designed for componet CD burners. Sure.... okay, I guess even though I have been burning CDs since 1999 and DVDs since 2002... that means I know nothing next to Mr. Genius who has had his computer for two months now.

I work at a Pawn shop here in GA, so we deal with all sorts of merchandice, from the guns and jewelry to the electronics. I'm the resident geek, therefore games/computers/electronics is my gig.

When I first started, the bossman was a little taken aback by how much "old useless stuff" (rare DC games,SNES systems/games etc) I was buying with his money, but really changed his tune when I brought in a pretty hefty profit last year of eBay. I paid my yearly salary in net profit in '05 alone.

Back on topic, we get some scary people. I have never before seen so many grown men and women whine and throw temper tamtrums over a $4.50 late fee, or a $5 lost ticket fee. I'm really lucky that in there I could sell ice to an eskimo, cause my customer service skills suck (from the customer's standpoint). I have openly laughed in people faces when they tell me they want a $75 loan on a $30 DVD player. granted, I know most people don't know how the system works but damn, that was a semi-regular customer. He should know better.

For those souls unfamiliar with the pawn biz, you bring in say a PS2. I'll loan you 25% of the retail value (usually $150 now) making the loan amount for about $40 and to get it back is 25% of that, getting it back for $50. We're really useful if you're in a bind, between paychecks, whatnot.

Anyways, today I had a guy call asking what we can do on his N64. I told him what I tell everyone else, $5. I can barely sell 'em for $20, and $15 is very low profit. He gets all flustered and goes on and on about how he bought it for $150 when it came out, blah blah. I ask him where he can buy one now. He says EB. And how much are they there? $20. He shuts up, and later on comes in with it and sells it. I did get a copy of Smash Bros with it for about $3 so I guess dealing with a little annoyance was wall worth it.

*whew* sorry about the length, more stories forthcoming, I'll make 'em shorter.

I hate it when people in line use checks and pretty much hold up things, especially when their total is less than $10. And I can't help but laugh at Wal-Mart's "solution" to the check problem (I don't know if they still do this): Just sign the check, give it to the cashier, and our machine will fill it out for you!

[quote name='Scahom1']
You know, I can almost see their raised eyebrow's through the telephone wires. It just sucks because to the customer I am just another lazy retail worker who doesn't know how to do their job, when that's anything but the truth.[/QUOTE]

But since 90% of retail employees are like you described, the other 10% automatically just get shit on because of assumption.

Its just one reason why I don't want to go back to retail.

[quote name='SilverGriever']*whew* sorry about the length, more stories forthcoming, I'll make 'em shorter.[/QUOTE]

Why make them shorter? I actually enjoy reading the stories in these threads. Makes my sanity feel more normal at night knowing that I'm not the only person who deals with looneys, wackos, nutjobs, whores, drunks, druggies, screaming kids, screaming babies, screaming adults, old senior citizens with 20 year old cordless phones that we don't carry the battery for, Big Foot, aliens, dinosaurs, people looking for 360s, ghetto thugs, Fatasswalleters, tabloid junkies, Fox Mulder wannabes, Jerry Springer lovers, action movie stars, homeless folks, short midgets with green hair, ninjas with whips, Indiana Jones with swords, long hair Wagner opera freaks, Harry Potter fanatics, some guy claiming to be WILLIAM H. MACY, novel freaks, ballet dancing kids, homicidal suicidial genocidal freaks..... oh, and did I mention looneys?

Had to deal with this idiot kid again today. I dealt with him over the holiday season when he said that he had credit and we couldn't find it at all. Then he told us "I'M NOT SHOPPING HERE ANYMORE!"

He calls us again today claiming he has a reserve on a game and when we cant find it he gets all pissed off. My manager asked if the guy had the reciept and he says that we didnt give it to him.

That's a lie, we always give the reciept to the customer.

Then he says he put down $102 on a $65 game.

Right then my manager had enough and hung up.

Who the hell puts an extra $37 on a game on top of the full price?

Had a lady come in the other day, buying Ivy vases (those round dollar vase things.) Manager told me she'd given her a couple boxes, and she'd be up for paper to wrap 'em in in a minute. I'm OK wit that- people who buy these things in quantity usually wrap them up, tell me know many, I use a special quanity key and we're done. Not today!!!

Lady comes up to the register with 2 carts of vases. I say, "How many do you have?"
"We need 60."
"Ok, so you've got 60?"
"No."
"... so, how many do you have?"
"I don't know, but we need 60."

Idiot lady didn't count her damn vases!!!!:bomb: But I'm OK, we'll count 'em as we start wrapping them, right? So I wrap up one, put it in the box, look up- and idiot lady has left the counter. Now, I'm only cashier right now. There's 1 guy on the floor to help people, but he's on break. And apparently, Idiot Lady thinks I need to drop everything so I can wrap and count her vases, by myself, so she can pay when it's convient for her? Uuuhhh... no. I checked around the vases on the counter till the other guy got off break, and had him help me out. I also made it a point to wait until Idiot Lady came back, and asked her if she was checking out now, before either of us started boxing up vases.

So, we finish, she pays and leaves... and now we have half a cart full of vases to put back, becuase Idiot Lady didn't count. :bomb:

As a side note- I later mentioned this to the manager who told me about Idiot Lady- apparently, she'd originally asked her to count and pull all the vases from the shelf and box them for her. (Manager had actually been going to lunch at this point.)

Laziest person I've run into yet. And I just know she's gonna lose her reciept, but still want to return all things damn vases later... I just know it...

[quote name='DuelLadyS']

Laziest person I've run into yet. And I just know she's gonna lose her reciept, but still want to return all things damn vases later... I just know it...[/QUOTE]

Welcome to my world. I work at a home improvement store with the loosest return policy ever. So I get contractors with boxes full of small copper and pvc fittings, that dont have tags on them anymore......... Of course they dont have their reciept, because they are contractors they dont keep track of paperwork. God I hate that returns desk. On a funny note I came into work one day and some one got by with returning a roomba, Ha.

We have this kid that comes in every once in a while looking to trade stuff in. He JUST turned 18, so had legally to trade-ins in New York now. Of course, kid doesn't have any form of ID. He has his selective service card (who the HELL carries that?) and tries to say it's a valid ID. I tell him it doesn't have a picture, we can't accept it. We can only accept a DMV issued ID, Passport or Military ID. He starts cursing in the store (on a busy Saturday) at we have to take his ID blah blah blah...whatever. He then threatens to go get mall security. I'm like, ok, you do that. Mall security could care less. He leaves, cursing up a storm.

He does the same thing to the EB around the bend, and then comes back. We appease him a bit by telling him how much he was getting for his shitty old games. 12 bucks it came to. He was like, I think I'll keep them. I said, you can't trade them in anyway, you don't have ID.

He left after that.

[quote name='botticus']Yessir. It's the cheapest grocery store for a reason.

The only bonus is occasionally you can get stuff really cheap cause the cashier forgets the price and doesn't bother checking it, or you can not-so-subtly hint what the real price is.[/QUOTE]
I freaking love Marc's. You just never know what you might find there. ;)

[quote name='daroga']I freaking love Marc's. You just never know what you might find there. ;)[/QUOTE]
Oh God, you're like my fiancee ;) She loves wandering through all the aisles, while it takes me two minutes to complete the shopping and then wait in line for a half hour. If she did the shopping, it would take an hour for two things.

[quote name='botticus']Oh God, you're like my fiancee ;) She loves wandering through all the aisles, while it takes me two minutes to complete the shopping and then wait in line for a half hour. If she did the shopping, it would take an hour for two things.[/QUOTE]
My mom, fiancee, and I will often go in to buy some things and then just start laughing at some of the random crap they have there. The one in Medina recently expanded (like, within the past 2 years), that and it being next to the original Super KMart in the country (and therefore the grungiest), there's always interesting stories. I wish some CAGers worked in those stores to share some of their experiences. ;)

To help this thread long I'll post one or two stories I'd had.

This little old lady comes up to me, and seems as if she wants to ask me a question. I ask her if there's anything I could help her with, and she asks me what a dvd is. I had to stop to think a moment on how I could easily explain this to someone who probably didn't understand 8-tracks. I told her it was a video on a cd basically. She then asked how she could use it since she got one in the mail. I told her to go ask a guy in a red vest so I could pay more attention to everyone coming in the door.

Quick background of my job, I'm supposed to be checking every single 'group' of people coming in the door to see if they have a card to shop at Costco. They've also extended this policy to coming in to eat food. People try to bypass this all the time so I try to catch people. This one guy comes in and says that he's just going to the foodcourt after I ask him for a card. He says he doesn't have one and when I tell him he needs to have a card to go to the food court, he looks at me with this perplexed expression and just says "uh-uh" as if he could jedi-mind-trick me. To say the least I didn't let him through and he went on his merry hungry ass.

i have some stories

we just closed the fairfield toy r us store last sunday. we told everyone and there was a sign syaing sunday was the last day. well monday - thursday of last week we jad to clean every thing we had the doors open so that we can go back and fourth cleaning stuff. some people came in the building looked around asked are you guys closed? there was nothing left in the store most of the funiture was gone. i started laughing when they asked us. i had to tell them we closed sunday. this happened every day mon- thursday

well, im a manager at target and phew..... all i can say is pregnant women are scary beasts. i had a lady literally get in my face and proceed to cuss me out because i wasn't doing her return fast enough. she had a gift receipt and the item had actually been purchased the same day, so i am prompted to call our service center. her friend and husband had to hold her back. her husband just kept giving me a sympathetic look and telling her to calm down
i feel for ya, man.

Anyone have a similar experience, i work at tjmaxx and when we put stuff in the bags it's always normal, but once in a while we just stuff the bags into the drawer and then when we put the merchendise in them they look a little folded, about once a week i get someone who says "i don't want a used bag" wtf is up with that, are you ever actually gonna reuse the bag?

[quote name='studfool']Anyone have a similar experience, i work at tjmaxx and when we put stuff in the bags it's always normal, but once in a while we just stuff the bags into the drawer and then when we put the merchendise in them they look a little folded, about once a week i get someone who says "i don't want a used bag" wtf is up with that, are you ever actually gonna reuse the bag?[/QUOTE]

Once, actually, althoug hthey were really used. It was right after Christmas, and I had a lady who was just stunned that I gave her secondhand bags. She actually had me put the used bags into new bags, becuase apparently her husand would yell at her for having used bags (???)

For the curious- no matter how much effort we put to the contary, my store always runs out of bags during Christmas. Combination of rainy weather, people needing to 'hide' presents, and sheer stupidity. (My fav- "double bag this, I'm riding the bus." ... What does that have to do with it?!)

[quote name='DuelLadyS']For the curious- no matter how much effort we put to the contary, my store always runs out of bags during Christmas. Combination of rainy weather, people needing to 'hide' presents, and sheer stupidity. (My fav- "double bag this, I'm riding the bus." ... What does that have to do with it?!)[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what kind of merch you sell, but larger items are easier to handle if they are double-bagged as it also doubles the tensile strength and spreads the weight over a greater palm area. It also alleviates the "**RRRIIIIIIPPP** There goes the bag!" worry.

Groceries spilling in your trunk is a hassle, groceries spilling all over the bus is public spectacle at best, a driving hazard at worst.

Speaking as someone who rides the bus every day.

Of course, if all you sell are small items individually, then you have some persnickety clients.

[quote name='Fanboy']
Of course, if all you sell are small items individually, then you have some persnickety clients.[/QUOTE]

I work in arts and crafts. I realllly doubt a bag with 5 packages of feathers, or 3 balls of yarn in it will rip open on the bus.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I work in arts and crafts. I realllly doubt a bag with 5 packages of feathers, or 3 balls of yarn in it will rip open on the bus.[/quote]

true, but it might tickle the bus driver... thus leading to a crash and potentially killing many people! ;)

I had a weird customer today. I was checking receipts as normal when a guy comes through with a good dozen packages of compressed air. I was trying to be congenial with the dude, so I commented, "Must like that stuff huh?". He responded well enough, "Yeah, it's for the office". Since I knew we hadn't had it for a while, I commented this to him. It was this response that really baffled me for a second, "Yeah, we tried the Nestle, but it wasn't as good." It took me a few seconds to realize that he was talking about the hot chocolate that was also in his cart. Why the hell would I comment about something so trivial as that?

Warning: it's fairly long, but anyone who's worked at a car dealership should be able to relate.

I work on Saturdays at a Honda dealership in Charlotte as the cashier. The combination of an automobile with all its parts and a person who's somewhat lacking in intelligence is often a frustrating experience; especially if the person has no knowledge of cars at all.

Something to note about the dealership: we've won Honda's Presidential Award three times. It's an award Honda gives out to the dealerships that have the best customer service, it's as big of an award a Honda dealership can get.

Anyhow, this woman had her car serviced on a Friday and she was at the dealership for over 4 hours. 4 hours of labor alone costs about $300, not to mention the parts and everything else (although we do give rather generous discounts to customers waiting forever and who have expensive work done to try and help out). I never found out the total of the first bill, but it was not cheap.

Well, she gets on the highway and the car dies and she has to have it towed back to Honda so it can be worked on Saturday. We fix up the car and she comes to pick it up and she's pissed. I'm talking face red, voice cold, look-at-me-and-I'll-rip-your-head-off pissed. Something had gone wrong with the firing system in the engine and it had to be replaced. She blamed us for it breaking even though her service advisor and the technician both explained to her in detail that what we had done yesterday had nothing to do with the firing system. It was a freak occurance. Of course, she didn't believe it (after all, she spent a few hundred dollars yesterday, her car is now brand new, right?).

They handed me the paper-work to collect her payment and now she's complaining to me about her life problems and how much money she's already spent and how insane this is. . .yadda, yadda, yadda. All this is in front of the waiting room which was packed with other customers. I almost went off on her crazy ass but I looked at the ticket and grinned. She got out her American Express and was still bitching when she threw the card at me. I handed it back and asked her to sign the paperwork. She did and I gave her the copies of it and said she was free to go. She looked puzzled and I told her that the dealership is going to take care of her replacement (even though she really should have payed) and that we're sorry for any inconvenience.

She shut her mouth immediately and we had the following converstation:

Her: I don't owe anything?

Me: No ma'am. It's on us. Sorry you had some difficulties, but your car's fixed and you're ready to go.

Her:

Me: It's okay ma'am. We take care of our customers here.

Her: I feel like an ass.

Me: Have a nice day.

The mechanic who worked on the the car was laughing his ass off next to me and the vast majority of the people in the waiting room were as well. She looked like she wanted to cry.

Her original bill: at least $300
Her second bill: $273 (on us)
Her towing fee: ? ? ? (on us)
Her yelling at us: un-called for
Making her look like an ass in front of everyone: priceless.

Side-note: I've seen many, many upset customers over their bill. Please know this, if you have a big job done to your automobile (I'm not talking an oil change, tire rotation, allignment, etc.); it's going to cost a bit of cash if it's not covered under warranty. Try not to act too shocked and get upset over this. People spend thousands to buy the car and get pissed over a big service job that costs in the hundreds. If it costs a lot of obtain it'll will likely cost a little bit to keep running.

One last thing, if you abuse your car the odds of something going wrong increase quite a bit. It's amazing how many people come in with their beat-to-hell cars and blame whatever's wrong on Honda or our dealership. Yeah, it's our fault you drove your Element into a lake thinking it's waterproof (true story).

[quote name='studfool']i thought the element was supposed to be waterproof...........:bouncy::bouncy:[/quote]

It's waterproof in the sense that you can hose it out, not drive it into a fuckin' lake.

[quote name='Bezerker']I'd so say "Well, if you think our price is too much, you can always try to take it to the toyota dealership"[/QUOTE]

I've been tempted a few times with a line like this since there is a Toyota dealership right next door.

As for the Element story, some older guy drove his Element into a nearby lake. He thought that because it had four-wheel drive he could take it into a body of water without a problem. That's what he told our service advisors when he was having some engine cleaning done and getting some interior replacement estimates.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I've been tempted a few times with a line like this since there is a Toyota dealership right next door.

As for the Element story, some older guy drove his Element into a nearby lake. He thought that because it had four-wheel drive he could take it into a body of water without a problem. That's what he told our service advisors when he was having some engine cleaning done and getting some interior replacement estimates.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

My boyfriend used to work at a Dodge dealership; I'll have to ask him if he has any stories like this.

[quote name='captainfrizo']
Her: I don't owe anything?

Me: No ma'am. It's on us. Sorry you had some difficulties, but your car's fixed and you're ready to go.

Her:

Me: It's okay ma'am. We take care of our customers here.

Her: I feel like an ass.

Me: Have a nice day.

The mechanic who worked on the the car was laughing his ass off next to me and the vast majority of the people in the waiting room were as well. She looked like she wanted to cry.

Her original bill: at least $300
Her second bill: $273 (on us)
Her towing fee: ? ? ? (on us)
Her yelling at us: un-called for
Making her look like an ass in front of everyone: priceless.
[/QUOTE]

If she hadn't made a scene, would you have charged her for the replacement and towing?

[quote name='neonglow']If she hadn't made a scene, would you have charged her for the replacement and towing?[/QUOTE]

Haha, that sounds like my mom's philosophy. She makes a scene whenever she buys ANYTHING and usually ends up getting a nice discount while I'm walking away pretending I don't know her.

[quote name='neonglow']If she hadn't made a scene, would you have charged her for the replacement and towing?[/QUOTE]

That wouldn't have been my call. The service advisors and the service manage determine which jobs the dealership will cover (if any). All I do is take the money. The decision for us to handle the entire bill was made before she made the scene in front of everybody.

She blamed us for what happened to the car and instead of fighting her over why she should pay for the repairs we decided to take the bullet and avoid that mess as much as possible. Even though we still got bitched out we came out looking like the good guys in the end - mission accomplished.

I didn't know we were covering the costs until I had the final Repair Order in front of me and it was labelled as an internal ticket (that's where we cover the costs of the work and then we see if we can recover any of the costs from Honda themselves).

I was at Gamestop last night to pick up the Elder Scrolls guide, and they had a Core Package that this hick looking guy was picking up. He kept on asking the dumbest questions, like where does he plug in his Xbox 1 controllers, and just some more of the dumbest questions in the world. I have been waiting for about 20 minutes now, and the employees looked pissed. Then he asked if all his Xbox games were compatible, they said yes on some games but told him that he needed the hard drive. I could have swore that hell opened up in his eyes at that point.

He starts yelling at them, just litterly screaming that they are trying to get him to buy something he doesnt need, just to make a commission, I dont know if GS is on commission or not, so. He then takes it and goes and gets mall security, saying that they are making threats at him. Mall security in return escorts him with his 360 out of the mall. No memory for the system at all. Then I get to the counter and they give me the new guy, who has no idea how to work anything, including opening the bag for my games, I had to do that myself. One of the main reasons I never shop in mall Gamestops

[quote name='OzCatter']I was at Gamestop last night to pick up the Elder Scrolls guide, and they had a Core Package that this hick looking guy was picking up. He kept on asking the dumbest questions, like where does he plug in his Xbox 1 controllers, and just some more of the dumbest questions in the world. I have been waiting for about 20 minutes now, and the employees looked pissed. Then he asked if all his Xbox games were compatible, they said yes on some games but told him that he needed the hard drive. I could have swore that hell opened up in his eyes at that point.

He starts yelling at them, just litterly screaming that they are trying to get him to buy something he doesnt need, just to make a commission, I dont know if GS is on commission or not, so. He then takes it and goes and gets mall security, saying that they are making threats at him. Mall security in return escorts him with his 360 out of the mall. No memory for the system at all. Then I get to the counter and they give me the new guy, who has no idea how to work anything, including opening the bag for my games, I had to do that myself. One of the main reasons I never shop in mall Gamestops[/QUOTE]

Nope, game stores don't get commission for selling systems. I usually try to avoid selling new systems to customers because it brings my pre-played percentage down which results in me getting yelled at by my boss.

Yeah, some lady was mad b/c I hadn't memorized the whole XBOX 360 compatability list. Then she pissed me off some more by asking to speak with a male worker to see if he would know.

[quote name='JediBaja']Yeah, some lady was mad b/c I hadn't memorized the whole XBOX 360 compatability list. Then she pissed me off some more by asking to speak with a male worker to see if he would know.[/QUOTE]

Wow, what a bitch.

You should have asked her if it was easy for her to memorize 300 random games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back