Fable II - Gen Discussion & Info

Maybe I'm a bit of a purist, but this is Cheap Ass Gamer, I frankly don't think any of us should be paying more than $20 tops for ANY game.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']Maybe I'm a bit of a purist, but this is Cheap Ass Gamer, I frankly don't think any of us should be paying more than $20 tops for ANY game.

~HotShotX[/quote]
Agreed..BUT those are unrealistic goals for some games...I have played this at a friends house and I plan on picking this one up, probably used with the Gamestop coupon with a trade in. Its not the best game ever but its worth the price to me.

[quote name='KamikazeSim']Ok here is another question: should I take back Fable 2 and just pay $30 more for Killzone 2? I need a new MP game. GOW2 isn't doing it for me.[/quote]
Yes. KZ2 = awesome fun. Played this last weekend with a friend for 4 hours straight, had a blast the entire time.

[quote name='SynGamer']
Story wise, Fallout 3 is MUCH better, simple as that.[/quote]

I don't disagree with you on the story. All around, I fully believe Fallout 3 is the better game. But as for value, don't you have to agree that Fable 2 is worth 30 bucks? I mean, the Op: Anchorage and the Pitt were worth 20, and that gave you maybe 6 hours of playtime.

I paid $10 for Fable 2. How?

buy a $10 game from Best Buy and trade it in for GOOZEX points then use those points to request a game.

Its not worth $30, I was stoked to get this one and pissed after about an hour into it. The weapon/armor options are what did it for me. Also combat is a joke like others have said. Quests are not tricky or even interesting, and I just couldnt get into the story at all. After playing the 1st Fable I had high hopes for this one and it turned out to be a real big gooey stinky $60 turd.

I think its worth 30 bucks. Just make sure you turn your online off for that game. or you'll be bombarded by people asking for red dragons

[quote name='Luftwaffles08']I don't disagree with you on the story. All around, I fully believe Fallout 3 is the better game. But as for value, don't you have to agree that Fable 2 is worth 30 bucks? I mean, the Op: Anchorage and the Pitt were worth 20, and that gave you maybe 6 hours of playtime.[/quote]
PM hyped this game so much that by the time i played it, i felt as though half the features and promises were missing. It's too repetitive, there's no challenge, and the story is bland (ending is horrible as i said), so no, i don't agree that it's worth $30. To each their own but my opinion stands at no, definitely not worth $30...

[quote name='SynGamer']PM hyped this game so much that by the time i played it, i felt as though half the features and promises were missing. It's too repetitive, there's no challenge, and the story is bland (ending is horrible as i said), so no, i don't agree that it's worth $30. To each their own but my opinion stands at no, definitely not worth $30...[/quote]

Maybe it helps that I waited more than a year to get it and only played the first Fable for a little bit. I really had no expectations for it until it came from Goozex.

And yeah. I almost laughed when the ending came.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']Joystiq's game of the year.[/QUOTE]

They picked Fable II over Metal Gear Solid 4, Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, and probably a few other games that are far better? Seriously Fable II is a rental at best and I'm honestly enjoying Two Worlds just as much. If Two Worlds wasn't so broken I'd like it a lot more--way more to explore and I don't have to worry about visiting my wife or dancing for people =\

Fable II is fun for less than a week, so I don't consider that worth buying, worth renting though.

Short answer....Hell YES!!!

We can play all sorts of "SO AND SO GAME IS BETTER"

Fable 2 is a great game, that only suffers from lofty expectations. The game developer has a big mouth, and nothing he promises ever lives up to the hype. I always picture the first time he is with a lady, and about to have sex, how he must really get her pumped up. She probably thinks she is about to have a 6 hour, 14 orgasms experience with John Holmes. I would love to get her opinion after sex. Even if he was good, I am sure there are women out there who think he sucks, just because they were expecting A LOT more.

Fable 2 is a fun, sometimes brilliant action RPG.

1: Brilliant start. The first hour of the game is almost Disney magical.

2: Leveling up your character is fun, though by the end of the game every aspect is maxed out, which takes away from the idea of a "customized" character.

3: Art direction and settings are inspired and enveloping.

4: Final boss a let down to be sure, but leaves an uneasy feeling that almost works in spite of.

5: A little on the easy side, with Boss battles almost to easy.

6: Some of the side quest are BAD, but others fun...almost like real life.

Really, this is a great game for 30 bucks.

I think it comes down to what your cheapness level is, do you play everything, did you play and like fable 1? honestly it's a triple A title and I'm sure it's worth $60 to most. I rented it from gamefly and got everything I needed from it in about 2 weeks. But if I bought it for $30 I wouldn't have been upset. They're giving lots of support through DLC, and I didn't do everything there was to do, and you can always flip it for like a 1000 points on Goozex.

[quote name='freshzen']They picked Fable II over Metal Gear Solid 4, Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, and probably a few other games that are far better? Seriously Fable II is a rental at best and I'm honestly enjoying Two Worlds just as much. If Two Worlds wasn't so broken I'd like it a lot more--way more to explore and I don't have to worry about visiting my wife or dancing for people =\

Fable II is fun for less than a week, so I don't consider that worth buying, worth renting though.[/quote]

It wasn't my game of the year, but I could see how anybody might feel that way. They averaged the editorial staff's top 10 lists and Fable II showed up on everyone's list, but not at the top of any one list. In other words it's a fun game. I don't think you're going to be upset. The main quest is short if you blast through it but it's above average contentwise. I think Cheapy and Wombat considered it their xbox GOTY too.

I enjoyed the hell out of Fable 2. I would say it is definitely worth $30. However I cannot argue with those that suggest Fallout 3 as that game is awesome. One unfortunate truth about both games is that they both have terrible endings....but that seems to be par for the course these days.

[quote name='bg88']I enjoyed the hell out of Fable 2. I would say it is definitely worth $30. However I cannot argue with those that suggest Fallout 3 as that game is awesome. One unfortunate truth about both games is that they both have terrible endings....but that seems to be par for the course these days.[/quote]

But don't worry, for the low low price of 800 Microsoft points, you can buy a new ending for Fallout 3!

Yes, it definitely worth $30. I bought it when it was $50 and do not regret it. After I beat GoW2 I'm going back to it especially since new DLC is coming soon.

If you are the completionist type of RPG gamer than go for it, as you'll get a lot more out of it. But if you're the type that is mostly in it for the main storyline and a little somethin something only some of the time, you might feel it's short then. I LOVED this game and played it to death for $60 and it's one of my top Xbox 360 games. Plus they are still showing love and releasing DLC. Personally I'd say $30 is a steal for Fable II.

I think it's worth $30. I've been playing the game since January, and I have enjoyed it. It's a quirky little game infused with dry British wit. I wouldn't step over my own mother to play it, mind you, but it is worth playing. Especially for that price.

The OP only asked about Fable. What's with all the comparisons to Fallout? Are we only allowed to have one F title in our library or something?

Fable is definitely a fun game. The main criticisms I would level at it are its brevity, its glitches (which may be fixed by now), and its inability to match the charm of the first game. But it's a good effort all around that I'd give a 7.5/10.

I would give my recommendation at $30; however, knowing that it's part of an upcoming system bundle makes me think that the market will soon be seeing a good amount of secondhand but unplayed copies that will go for cheap.

is it possible to get the new achievements if i dont buy the new pack?
can i get it thru "see other hero do so"
i dont have knothole island...will this be free?

If they did exactly what they did with Knothole Island and release a Premium and Free DLC pack, then yes. Otherwise, nope.

How often are you paid rent for the houses you own when you are not playing? I get paid 61 gold every 5 minutes when I play, but when I got off for the night and then got back on in the morning, I only got 610 gold.

It's every 5 minutes in game but it uses a formula if you turn it off. So you do earn less money, but you still earn a lot of money.

[quote name='HotShotX']Maybe I'm a bit of a purist, but this is Cheap Ass Gamer, I frankly don't think any of us should be paying more than $20 tops for ANY game.

~HotShotX[/quote]

Sometimes there is a game that you just want to play on day one or atleast shortly after it's release. I'm not saying that we should pay MSRP but I'm willing to pay more than $20 for some games. I payed $17 for Fable 2 (using GS credit, nonetheless) but would've had no problem paying $30 cash.

Maybe we should all just subscribe to GameFly and just have Cheapy shut down the site. :roll:

I'm kinda mad at Fable II right now. One of the Expression Statues glitched on me and now I can't finish that part of the game :(

I did manage to get The Chopper, though. What a useless Legendary Weapon that is. It still doesn't come close to my Axe of Disharmony.

[quote name='KingBroly']It's every 5 minutes in game but it uses a formula if you turn it off. So you do earn less money, but you still earn a lot of money.[/quote]

Oh ok, makes sense. Do you know what the formula is that it uses when you are not playing?

Completed all of See the Future. All Main Quests. All Side Quests. All Achievements. Some thoughs.

The Good
- I really like the first mission. The atmosphere was awesome, and the enemies had a little bit more strategy to them than your regular bandit thugs.
- Lots of little nooks and crannies. I really enjoyed this part of Fable 2, and it seems like they made this part a lot better in the DLC.
- The costumes. They're pretty cool

The Bad
- The 3rd quest. No explanation needed.
- The Colourist Achievement, or more specifically, how to get the last dye needed for the Colourist Achievement. Holy crap.

Beyond that, nothing too eye-popping. The Colosseum is there, but it seems a bit too...short sighted I should say. A strict time limit isn't really necessary. Let me fight until I die, but with no items to use. Overall, it's a bit shorter than Knothole Island if you don't include the Colosseum. If you include the time it takes you to get the Colourist Achievement in the Colosseum, it could probably take you 3 hours of non-stop trying to get it.

Is it worth $7? If you bought Knothole Island, you bet. It's about the same amount of content, although shorter for $3 less. If you didn't buy Knothole Island, I'm sure you'll be happy without it, unless you really want a Dalmation or Husky dog.

[quote name='dallascowboys']Anyone know if See the Future will stay at 560 or go back up to 800 after this week?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, this will be the regular price. Good thing too, since it's really too short to be worth more than that. I enjoyed it while it lasted though.

I haven't bought either of the two DLC packs yet. Not sure I will. I wish they would just do a shivering isles type deal like what Oblivion got.

I thought the "See the Future" DLC was worth the points, even though it took me about 3 hours to complete everything.

Time control actually slows the timer down a ton in the coliseum if for some reason you can't get enough multipliers or make it to the necromancer in the time allotted (for the achievements).

I dug up two hero dolls as well. One near the shadow court in the snow globe, and one in the cursed skull where the statues come to life and attack.

I'm still missing 3 though. I only have Hammer, Hero & Theresa. That and paramour are my only missing achievements in Fable 2. Maybe I'll find someone to help with the other dolls eventually.

I thought the "See the Future" DLC was worth the points, even though it took me about 3 hours to complete everything.

Time control actually slows the timer down a ton in the coliseum if for some reason you can't get enough multipliers or make it to the necromancer in the time allotted (for the achievements).

I dug up two hero dolls as well. One near the shadow court in the snow globe, and one in the cursed skull where the statues come to life and attack.

I'm still missing 3 dolls though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im finally getting around to playing Fable 2 finally after a massive backlog. Looking forward to it, however ive got a question. Anybody got an unused collectors edition code that they want to sell or trade to me? i got the CE thru goozex and of course the code has already been used.

I thought See the Future was worth it, but the fact that it had 2 extra months of development time over Knothole Island and it had less content is a bit puzzling. If the village was interactive with the ability to manage the town through real estate and whatnot, it'd be better than Knothole by a mile.

I finally beat the game tonight. I quit playing about 4 months ago when we started to pack up for our move. I didn't realize how close I was to the end of the game. Even after all that time off, it was a satisfying ending. :) Now I've got to go back and try to finish off some more achievements. I've gotten nearly all of the big ones, I think. And I need to download the DLC.

[quote name='Sharp Katana']did anyone manage to get the strawberry blonde dye? I'm having some trouble scoring exactly 1985 points.[/QUOTE]

After you get the first two bears save and quit, load your game back up and you will have the third bear.

[quote name='life.exe']
After you get the first two bears save and quit, load your game back up and you will have the third bear.
[/QUOTE]

i just tried that. It didn't work, unless I'm doing something wrong ??

[quote name='Sharp Katana']i just tried that. It didn't work, unless I'm doing something wrong ??[/QUOTE]
You have to score exactly 1985 points in the colosseum. (The numbers on the first 2 bears were 19 and 85.) It doesn't matter if you finish with more points or not, just so long as you hit exactly 1985 at some point during the battle.

[quote name='Redrazorback']You have to score exactly 1985 points in the colosseum. (The numbers on the first 2 bears were 19 and 85.) It doesn't matter if you finish with more points or not, just so long as you hit exactly 1985 at some point during the battle.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I haven't played the colosseum yet (just did the snow globe so far), so I don't know how hard getting it to land on that exact number actually is to do, but it sounds kind of ridiculous. Between things like that and the flit switches in Knothole Island, I'm starting to really question the thinking of the designers at Lionhead.

bread's done
Back