Fable II - Gen Discussion & Info

[quote name='Trakan']I can't really understand how this game is getting such insanely good reviews. It's mediocre at best. It's not a bad game, don't get me wrong, it's just nowhere near a 9 or 10. I was entertained the whole way though, but the combat is wonky and the story is lacking. I don't know where the reviews are coming from saying the main quest is 15 hours long. I beat it in under 8 hours, and that's with doing a bunch of sidequests because you need to gain "renown" to progress through the story.

I have a feeling A LOT of people are going to be disappointed with this one. I have to basically discredit everything Molyneux says from now on.[/QUOTE]

Sounds EXACTLY like Fable 1 to me. I was hoping for better, but at least now I don't feel compelled to drop $60 on this.

My Fable II/Gamestop story.

I went there about 15 minutes ago. I was talking to one of the part-timers as he is ringing me up. I ask him how many of the ones do they guess don't have the codes. He said they got 13 without the code and 7 with the code. I asked him how he knew and he said the store manager (who is a great guy, helps me out all the time) opened them all so they would know which ones were which and be able to give people a heads up.

I was a little pissed off by this I mean, I paid for an unopened game, but whatever. He said they only had 10 of them left and they were all the codeless ones. That sucks definitely, and I was going to cancel right then and there when the manager comes out. He seen me and walks into the back room real quick and brings out a Fable II LE. Had my name on a sticky-note on it. Apparently he had hid one of the games with a code in the back for me. Also, that pissed off the part-timer because he got stuck with one without the code. He was a little pissed.

I also ended up picking up the Special Edition Fable II Strategy Guide. I will never use it, but I got 20% off on the guide and $10 back from my pre-order so what the hell. Cost me like $15 after that. Has a nice slipcover and pretty cool art-book.

UPDATE: Did anyone else notice that the downloadable content was only 108KB? That shit is already on the disc and this is just an unlock key. NOW, I'm pissed. I DEFINITELY should have gotten the regular edition. Damn it. They will be releasing this content over the next few months easily. Probably charge 200-800 MS points depending upon how they bundle them.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wanderlai']Is there any penalty for bringing over the "gitch" money from the free pub games?[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing...was it all talk, or does something really happen?

Got mine (LE) from Best Buy in Westland, MI. It had the "don't sell" sticker and the DL card. All is well.

I'm impressed with the LE package, considering all that's gone on with it. It's an interesting take on the old slipcase formula. I can't wait to get home and play!

Picked up mine as well today. Got an LE box that has the "Xbox Live Included: Bonus Game Content and 48 Hour Trial" Sticker on it. Opened it up and yes indeed the code for the Bonus Content was in there.

Well my bro ended up getting the code! So this means when they solve the problem and start to issue them out to people that got screwed he'll hopefully be able to snag one for me.

Any cag out there that did mange to get one should probably do something similar for those that got the regular edition. That way we all can enjoy the the plasma sword and spartan armor!

[quote name='Wanderlai']Money from the glitch transfers over to the game without any issues so far as I can tell. Sweet![/quote]

If this is true, then I'mma go back and bring those pub games to their knees!

[quote name='Trakan']I can't really understand how this game is getting such insanely good reviews. It's mediocre at best. It's not a bad game, don't get me wrong, it's just nowhere near a 9 or 10. I was entertained the whole way though, but the combat is wonky and the story is lacking. I don't know where the reviews are coming from saying the main quest is 15 hours long. I beat it in under 8 hours, and that's with doing a bunch of sidequests because you need to gain "renown" to progress through the story.

I have a feeling A LOT of people are going to be disappointed with this one. I have to basically discredit everything Molyneux says from now on.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Fable 1 to me, which I did enjoy, since I don't have the time to play 50+ hr RPGs.

I might pick this up on eBay with the 30% Live discount for $37.

I got my LE from amazon, no code, no sticker.:bomb::bomb:
fuck on you microsoft. Never again will i get excited for one of your mediocre games filled with broken promises.
This whole thing has been dissapointing from start to finish crappy co-op, no actual LE, average game.
I can't believe I almost got an F on a paper cause of this game, now i want to finish writing it.

[quote name='Trakan']. I don't know where the reviews are coming from saying the main quest is 15 hours long. I beat it in under 8 hours, and that's with doing a bunch of sidequests because you need to gain "renown" to progress through the story.

I have to basically discredit everything Molyneux says from now on.[/quote]

Thanks for letting me know about the length. I will not be picking this up. I agree with you on Molyneux hyping the shit out of his games and then failing to deliver this epic game that he has been talking about.

Molyneux has been hyping the shit out of his products and not delivering since Black & White. I figured everyone had learned their lesson by now, if not from Black & White then from Fable.

Either way, I picked this up for $40 on Amazon.ca so I'll be playing it when it arrives. I don't mind the length since it's a change of pace. You could also beat Oblivion in a day if you just did the main story arc.

[quote name='KingBroly']You know...I personally don't like the idea of an RPG that only allows you to have a single save file.[/QUOTE]

I could see that stance, but it sure makes things more tense when you have to make a choice.

I am also missing my code. Just found a chest that said something about "Go to www.fable2.com to find out how to access the contents of this chest." I'm guessing that is where my bonus content is supposed to be. Microsoft must have been using the same printers for the codes that they were going to use for those trading cards...

... Lets get this straight. Every online capable game where the items in question could POSSIBLY be shared between 2 machines... is pretty much going to have it's special content be an unlock key. This helps EVERYONE see the content, even if they don't have access to it.

If someone joins your LE game where you're wearing the Halo armor, but they didn't pay for the LE, you DO want them to be able to SEE it, right? If you walk into the extra dungeon, you do want your non-LE partner to be able to enter it with you as well, right?

It's just a "necessary evil" in this modern gaming world. Would you prefer to walk into textureless block caverns that have big "BUY THE LE TO SEE THIS PLACE CORRECTLY!" marks all over them? Or be unable to walk into caves with friends, due to a need to Download? I don't hate the idea of Unlock keys in an of themself. I just don't like the method they're used in all the time.

Anywho, about to get mine in about an hour. I'm not hyped about it in an unrealistic way at all, I actually like the fact the story doesn't sound like it's full of useless bloat in order to make it falsely longer. I'm mostly getting this because of Offline Co-Op... and because I rather enjoyed Fable 1.

Well I got mine today from Amazon (free shipping too!), so now it's time for the playing.

EDIT: Btw, my LE had the sticker (which I hate...) and the bonus content.

[quote name='SAB-CA']... Lets get this straight. Every online capable game where the items in question could POSSIBLY be shared between 2 machines... is pretty much going to have it's special content be an unlock key. This helps EVERYONE see the content, even if they don't have access to it.

If someone joins your LE game where you're wearing the Halo armor, but they didn't pay for the LE, you DO want them to be able to SEE it, right? If you walk into the extra dungeon, you do want your non-LE partner to be able to enter it with you as well, right?

It's just a "necessary evil" in this modern gaming world. Would you prefer to walk into textureless block caverns that have big "BUY THE LE TO SEE THIS PLACE CORRECTLY!" marks all over them? Or be unable to walk into caves with friends, due to a need to Download? I don't hate the idea of Unlock keys in an of themself. I just don't like the method they're used in all the time.[/quote]

I agree with your points, definitely good for the people joining into your game. The problem I have with it though are companies like Namco that abuse it. They are going to be charging 400 MS points for a Vader unlock for Soul Calibur IV. Vader is on the disc and they are charging us for it. It's becoming more and more prevalent with companies doing something like this. I don't like it, I'm already paying $60 for the disc, if it's on said disc I shouldn't have another charge to unlock something I already have in my possession.

Also, has anyone tried to do the co-op and see if they can even enter the special dungeon? You are assuming that they can, but it may be that they won't let them enter in the co-op. I haven't seen anyone state either way, I hope they can but I haven't seen anything for yes or no on that.

Don't get me wrong, what I've played on the game so far is good. I do believe it was overhyped and if Peter would have kept his mouth shut for once there wouldn't be a huge backlash against the game. His mouth plus the LE getting downgraded and then the production error, just really hurting it.

Waiting for the game from Amazon, but I just read how lame the coop is. Kinda disappointing, but I'm still looking forward to playing this as I never got to try the first one.

[quote name='jp0213']I agree with your points, definitely good for the people joining into your game. The problem I have with it though are companies like Namco that abuse it. They are going to be charging 400 MS points for a Vader unlock for Soul Calibur IV. Vader is on the disc and they are charging us for it. It's becoming more and more prevalent with companies doing something like this. I don't like it, I'm already paying $60 for the disc, if it's on said disc I shouldn't have another charge to unlock something I already have in my possession.[/quote]

-nod- I don't mind paying for something "already in my possession" if it's worth it, though. I think Namco Holding back Vader to just make him a paid unlock later is stupid. I wouldn't mind paying for a completely new, unexplored, unrevealed character that was unlocked in this way THAT much. But the fact that Vader and Yoda have already been played and dissected by SC fans for months now... It makes all this long holding back just seem extremely weak. Or Vader could have been extremely cheap (80 points) and a REAL new character could have been the 400 pt DLC.

I hope the LE stuff stays exclusive, with the dungeon always accessable if you play with a gamer that owns the LE. If this games gets DLC, I hope it's all fresh, new stuff. As you can tell, I don't like "waiting" for DLC only for all the wait time turning out to be for things that have already been available for ages.

My expectations were never very high to begin with. I really enjoyed the first game, so if this one is as good, I'll be satisfied.

Yeah, I wouldn't be so sore about it if it was a whole new character. I can't really equate the Fable II DLC to the Soul Calibur IV, yet. I think Namco has just been the biggest abuser and it's left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. I know I'm going to pay for Vader too, because that blank spot on my roster just bugs the hell out of me.

weird I ordered from Amazon.com, The LE and got a Shipping notice yesterday with tracking for UPS (Release Day delivery, next day air) I enter the tracking and it says Billing recevied....but never says if its been shiped yet according to UPS site, so anybody else who got Release date delivery from Amazon using UPS, did it have your tracking information on UPS or what?

A review I read today of the game felt like it was saying just that but gave the game a 8.8 anyway.

Reading about the length of the game, the lack of epic enemies you'd find in other Fantasy/RPG games and the silly Expressions system has made me pass on this game.

Which is sort of a shame since I was looking forward to it.

[quote name='JustAim']I got my LE from amazon, no code, no sticker.:bomb::bomb:
fuck on you microsoft. Never again will i get excited for one of your mediocre games filled with broken promises.
This whole thing has been dissapointing from start to finish crappy co-op, no actual LE, average game.
I can't believe I almost got an F on a paper cause of this game, now i want to finish writing it.[/quote]

Did you check online, the code might be in your amazon account. They usually have special codes in your account on their site usually so check there. Still waiting for my game but its only one state away!

As soon as I heard about the shitty co-op I figured I would just let my wife have the game and I'll watch it. You can't buy items, etc. what kind of crap is that?

Hope the overall game is still decent. I enjoyed the first Fable despite the lack of delivery on all the promises that were made.

I traded in all my DVD's(about 24-25 total) I have upgraded to either BR or HD and picked up the LE at the local mom-n-pop shop this morning. Can somebody please explain the difference between the SE and LE versions real quick to me. Is there a code I should be looking for and where would it be when opening the game.

Sorry for such the dumb question.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm still looking for a co-op orb. Where are they?[/quote]

You have to have a friend playing the game in the same area to see an orb.

[quote name='ajh2298']I traded in all my DVD's(about 24-25 total) I have upgraded to either BR or HD and picked up the LE at the local mom-n-pop shop this morning. Can somebody please explain the difference between the SE and LE versions real quick to me. Is there a code I should be looking for and where would it be when opening the game.

Sorry for such the dumb question.[/quote]

There should be a card with a code to redeem a dungeon and spartan armor and plasma sword for your hero. It has been noted that if the game case you receive doesn't have a 48hrs XBOX Live Trial sticker, it may not have the DLC code.

5:30 PM, still no UPS man.....getting nervous, tracking has not updated yet....got release day delivery, I am going to call and rant if I do not get it today

[quote name='Poor2More']5:30 PM, still no UPS man.....getting nervous, tracking has not updated yet....got release day delivery, I am going to call and rant if I do not get it today[/quote]

I may be wrong, but I think UPS runs until 8. I am pretty sure its after 5 when they stop delivering for the day.

[quote name='craven_fiend']I may be wrong, but I think UPS runs until 8. I am pretty sure its after 5 when they stop delivering for the day.[/quote]

WOW if amazon screwed me over like that....release day delivery is suppose to be release day deliver

Nice job Amazon, I got the game just now! Impressed with their consistently fast shipping these past few months. I'll give the game a try tonight.

[quote name='craven_fiend']You have to have a friend playing the game in the same area to see an orb.[/quote]

Funny thing is, right after I made the post, I saw a couple of orbs. I still don't quite understand their full functions, though.

In the meantime, I managed to get married and have a kid. I'm starting to show signs of corruption, too. Is there any way to reverse that?

[quote name='KingBroly']Funny thing is, right after I made the post, I saw a couple of orbs. I still don't quite understand their full functions, though.

In the meantime, I managed to get married and have a kid. I'm starting to show signs of corruption, too. Is there any way to reverse that?[/quote]
Take out bandits, be nicer? From what i've gathered, things you did when you were young start taking shape as you grow up.

[quote name='KingBroly']Funny thing is, right after I made the post, I saw a couple of orbs. I still don't quite understand their full functions, though.

In the meantime, I managed to get married and have a kid. I'm starting to show signs of corruption, too. Is there any way to reverse that?[/QUOTE]

The functions of orbs? Just so you can see where your friends are in the game. Check their stats. Also invite them to join you quickly. I actually think it's pretty neat idea.

Craven. No I only got one. But unsure if I want to use it. i don't want my character to be overpowering with the armor and weapons. the New dungeon seems cool though. So i might have to use it.

Amazon rep said UPS delivers till 9 p.m at night? does that sound right?

She said If I do not receive it tonight she will send one again tommorow 1 day....how does that help me?

[quote name='Poor2More']She said If I do not receive it tonight she will send one again tommorow 1 day....how does that help me?[/quote]
Maybe she's trying to teach you patience.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Maybe she's trying to teach you patience.[/quote]

Why offer a service if you can not stand behind it?

bread's done
Back