Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

[quote name='ratsock']Fallout 3's status in Australia is still 'refused classification' (i.e. Banned) :(
Looks like I'll have to import a copy (thank god I also have a ps3 and thank god for regionfree ps3 games :D )[/quote]

I will send you a PS3 Fallout 3 for a kangaroo. No lie.

This year is going to have the craziest and best special editions. Fallout 3, Fable 2 and Gear 2. My gaming shit shelf is going to need to expand!

[quote name='Razzuel']Or it's a great addition to the Fallout series...?

It's interesting to see both perspectives. There are those who are looking at this game from the not having played Fallout view, basing their opinions on what they know about Bethesda and how Fallout 3 is similar to other games, which is what you said. Then there is the Fallout fan perspective. I am really looking forward to Fallout 3 because I am a Fallout veteran—I guess that's a good description—and because Bethesda makes great games.

There are a few bits that worry me because I think they might take away from the Fallout-ness, but Black Isle Studios isn't around anymore so I'll take a Fallout 3 from Bethesda any day.[/QUOTE]

I've played Fallout 1,2, and Tactics and I must say it will feel weird to play a fallout game in first person... Hope it works flawlessly!

The moment I saw the trailers for this, I knew I needed it!! I already have mine preordered at gamestop and I can't wait till it comes out. I am getting on the Xbox, though. I don't have a PS3 but even still most of the previews I've seen come from the Xbox build of the game.

I've been watching alot of videos of gameplay on various websites and just watched the new good/bad karma ones on IGN and this game looks freaking insane. Less than a month, I can't wait! :D

[quote name='the_deej']I've played Fallout 1,2, and Tactics and I must say it will feel weird to play a fallout game in first person... Hope it works flawlessly![/quote]

I think it'll be just fine. It looks amazing. I really hope this game ends up being a huge seller.

Welp, count me in... just dropped my pre-order cash down on the table today. I'd been sitting on the fence for a while and just went with it. I'm actually glad to know that the overall scope will be smaller than that of Oblivion. I like the idea of a sprawling, open world as much as the next guy, but I also like to just get on with things. And of course I also prefer pneumatic fists that allow you to punch someone's head off to swords.

By the by, I've used my Nuka-Cola bottle opener twice already... it wins my vote for Most Practical Pre-Order Bonus. :)

I really need to avoid this thread. I want the game so badly, but I have a huge backlog and I haven't even finished Oblivion yet.

[quote name='darthbudge']Has anyone heard of this game is gonna have an option to tone down the gore like Oblivion and the original fallout games did?[/quote]

why does the sight of blood make you faint? :lol:

has anyone read the new EDGE 60 minute REVIEW in this month's mag? I read it today and it's not good. They're saying the VATS system isn't that great. I don't have any past game play, so as great as it looks, I'll wait until the ratings start coming in. plus, with gears 2, fable 2, and prince of persia, no rush jumping into this monster of a game too...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='darthbudge']Has anyone heard of this game is gonna have an option to tone down the gore like Oblivion and the original fallout games did?[/quote]
I'd like to know this also,... If I'm going to devote a ton of time to this game, I don't want want to quit the game every time my nephew or my girlfriend walks into the room. I consider it a courtesy not to gross people out when they watch me play games. It's not a deal breaker, but considering its length it would be nice.

I'm curious to see how combat plays out in the third person perspective. Most videos have shown combat in either first person or vats, but not much in third person.

[quote name='evyrew']I'd like to know this also,... If I'm going to devote a ton of time to this game, I don't want want to quit the game every time my nephew or my girlfriend walks into the room. I consider it a courtesy not to gross people out when they watch me play games. It's not a deal breaker, but considering its length it would be nice.

I'm curious to see how combat plays out in the third person perspective. Most videos have shown combat in either first person or vats, but not much in third person.[/quote]

This is exactly the same reason I was looking to tone it down, I mean, I would even be fine with the blood, just as long as body parts aren't flying off in every direction.

[quote name='von551']why does the sight of blood make you faint? :lol:[/quote]

See evyrew's post above.

[quote name='darthbudge']Has anyone heard of this game is gonna have an option to tone down the gore like Oblivion and the original fallout games did?[/QUOTE]

Ahahaha your life sucks.

[quote name='darthbudge']Has anyone heard of this game is gonna have an option to tone down the gore like Oblivion and the original fallout games did?[/QUOTE]You'll have to buy the DLC that comes with the perk No Bloody Mess.

[quote name='dfo']This week they put up some awesome Fallout 3 ads in the DC Metro (at Metro Center station). I don't know much about the game and probably won't buy it at launch, but I'd love to get hold of some of those posters!

I didn't take these myself but here are some pics (unfortunately few samples of the in-game product ads, which are the best looking and most interesting ones):
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/07/fallout-3s-washington-d-c-metro-ads/[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I might have to get out and check them out on the way home from work. That sounds awesome.

[quote name='evyrew']I'd like to know this also,... If I'm going to devote a ton of time to this game, I don't want want to quit the game every time my nephew or my girlfriend walks into the room. I consider it a courtesy not to gross people out when they watch me play games. It's not a deal breaker, but considering its length it would be nice.

I'm curious to see how combat plays out in the third person perspective. Most videos have shown combat in either first person or vats, but not much in third person.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. One TV in the house, so if I want to game, she's going to be using laptop in same room. I have no doubt she'll give me shit if game violence is stupid or unnecessary.

Also, I appreciate that they intend to make a dark & gritty game (and respect that they are sticking to the tradition of violence in the original games) but I do find it a little off-putting at how awkwardly the violence has been used as a marketing point in the lead up to release. There are a few moments in the E3 Microsoft demo and gameplay videos that had me rolling my eyes. Hopefully without the voiceover commentary from developer, these same moments don't come off as lame in actual game.

[quote name='Draccius']Seriously? I might have to get out and check them out on the way home from work. That sounds awesome.[/QUOTE]

Went to Metro Center and checked out the ads. Pretty impressive; can't say that I ever expected to see a game advertised in there. It's pretty entertaining to watch people give double-takes at the ads as they walk by, especially the posters that have images of the Washington Monument and US Capitol in ruins.

My OXM came in the mail today featuring Fallout 3 "world exclusive review"

They said the game is not perfect, it does have flaws but over the 40hours of there run through of the game... not too often you see a game like this made.
+A genuinely compelling story that you want to follow.
+Massive, rich world that you'll explore for a loooong time.
+Intense, challenging combat.
? Can someone make a real-life Pip-Boy? That'd kick some iPhone Ass.
Overall 10

Hopefully my first RROD console comes back in time for this game. Been fucking waiting for Fallout 3 since it was announced...

[quote name='naiku']My OXM came in the mail today featuring Fallout 3 "world exclusive review"

They said the game is not perfect, it does have flaws but over the 40hours of there run through of the game... not too often you see a game like this made.
Overall 10

Hopefully my first RROD console comes back in time for this game. Been fucking waiting for Fallout 3 since it was announced...[/quote]

Did they mention what the flaws are?

[quote name='naiku']
[/QUOTE]
Good news! Shell out for the SURVIVAL Edition, and you get a Pip-Boy!
pipboyprototype_open.jpg

se_items.gif

(Except, it's a clock.)

[quote name='naiku']My OXM came in the mail today featuring Fallout 3 "world exclusive review"

Overall 10

Hopefully my first RROD console comes back in time for this game. Been fucking waiting for Fallout 3 since it was announced...[/quote]

hmm it's not perfect but they gave it a 10. then again i don't give a shit what it's rated. my panties have been wet with anticipation for last 6 months over this game.

Yea I read the review, sounds like they really liked being able to review the game lol. I think I'll be getting Far Cry 2 on pre-order and prob Fallout 3 CE for Christmas.

god i cant wait til next week. preordered and ready for launch. just need to distract myself with halo 3 for a few more days.

[quote name='GeneralJenkins']god i cant wait til next week. preordered and ready for launch. just need to distract myself with halo 3 for a few more days.[/quote]

I'm doing the same thing with Mass Effect. It's working quite well...

[quote name='Chase']Six days left.

Time needs to move quicker. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]
This! This! One hundred times THIS!

Yeah, I'm psyched for Fallout 3 as well, thankfully I've got Saints Row 2 and Far Cry 2 to keep me occupied ... plus Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, GTA IV, Resistance, Uncharted, Paradise City, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Paper Mario .... HOLY SHIT I NEED HELP!!!!!!!

I'm going to check my local Entertainment Outlet to see if they are breaking street date like they do all the time.

I gotta say, this looks very cool. I've always been interested in nuclear warfare/conspiricies, etc. so I may have to pick this one up. I've never played a fallout game before, but it looks good.

Also, with Bethesda banning the sale of this game in India because of "cultural insensitivities" it makes it sound that much more interesting.

argh I hate living on a tight budget...

I think I am going with Fallout 3, since I can only allow myself one. I picked it over Fable 2, Farcry 2, and Guitar Hero World tour.

Well I went with Fable II, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3 and Gears 2. Yea I'll have to wait on World Tour, I have GH3 anyways so it's not like I wouldn't be rocking.

[quote name='n00bie']You can buy all three games for less than the price of World Tour, can't you?[/QUOTE]

haha your right, but I think you can use the rock band instruments for it, so I was just going to do that, and buy just the game.

Kewl- I think this game is going to be a blast- I just hope that my 360 gets here from the repair center before Tues. I have Fable 2 and Fallout 3 paid for...but I got nothing to play them with. Uuuugh.

GOOD NEWS! I went to wallmart today and they had ALL THE VERSIONS of fallout already for sale!

Sadly I coudn't buy it cause mines is preordered at gamestop :whistle2:( BUT my friend bought the pc version im reading the manual now IT HAS A LIST OF PERKS!

also in the PC manual it shows a xbox 360 controller so this game supports the xbox 360 controller :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope mine ships soon from Amzon. I ordered release day shipping, so it should get in the mail soon. I can't wiat to make bodies turn into piles of pieces!

bread's done
Back