Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

Shacknews Review:
http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1037

(it's been taken down by the way)

Fallout 3 is a PC game.

Sure, it's an Xbox 360 game, too. And it's a PlayStation 3 game, I guess. It's also an RPG, technically.

But when you get at the heart of it, Fallout 3 feels like a game designed for the PC. It has the soul of a big-boxed, full-manual, five-CD game from 1998. It has all the complexity and addictiveness of a System Shock, or a Deus Ex--or, yes, a Fallout.

And when I say "game," I mean it in the most ambitious sense. It's the kind of title that rekindles that 90s spark of imagination, when the borders of gaming were less defined, and anything seemed possible. From the opening moment, it's the kind of work that has you thinking: "Goddamn--this is a real game."

Not just another collection of cutscenes and shooting galleries. Not just another roller-coaster ride with a slightly different track. Fallout 3 is a deep, interactive experience; a compelling blend of crafted art, inventive quests and open world freedom.

Less a ride and more a trip down a lazy, apocalyptic river, Fallout 3 has a strong current in its central quest line. But it's the option of abandoning the raft--and killing your raft-mates, and stealing their stuff, and selling it to a zombie trader for a quick buck--that makes it something gamers should not miss.

Above all else, this is a game to savor.

Developing this version of Fallout 3 was a brave choice by Bethesda. When most players aren't even finishing directed, non-linear shooters like Half-Life 2, creating a vast volume of content that the majority of owners will likely never experience seems a risky business decision. Why even give us the option of passing by so many wonderfully designed quests?

If I was Todd Howard, I would have shoved every single shred of dialogue in the player's face. I would have pushed every encounter and bit of backstory onto the main path. I would have squeezed every development dollar for all its worth.

Instead, if you're anything like me, you'll likely miss a lot of Fallout 3 on your first play-through. After 12 hours of gameplay I was already watching the credits, but had barely scratched the surface of the available content.

The game carries you through its multi-faceted wasteland at a good clip, leading you by the nose with main quest elements and big green map markers. For a while you're caught up in the middle of it, ticking off the pages of the quest log like the pages of a good novel. You can get swept up in the story from the first beat.

Though identical in function, Fallout 3's introductory sequence is a huge improvement over Oblivion's, both in terms of character development and pacing. Starting out in the world as a newborn child in Vault 101, Bethesda brilliantly incorporates the process of picking character statistics and learning movement controls into the experience of growing up. WASD movement is learned as a baby, crawling across the floor and making goo-goo noises with the "E" key. A children's book serves as your first introduction to statistics; an early birthday party brings your first weapon in the form of a BB-gun.

Fans of the original Fallout games will admire Bethesda's franchise faithfulness right off the bat. The same post-nuclear, 1950s-era style informs both the art and the sardonic humor. In fact, a surprising amount of the same themes found in the original Fallouts are presented in this sequel. You'll run across sentient computers and governmental remnants. You'll face down racist isolationists and disenfranchised ghouls, blood-thirsty raiders and sympathetic super mutants.

Of course, Bethesda also puts its own spin on things. Signature Fallout entities, such as the armor-clad Brotherhood of Steel and the Ghoul Underworld, are explored in detail. A countless amount of story materials exist to be discovered, some of which delve into mysteries already established by Black Isle's previous games. For example, a computer terminal in a newspaper office--a building that one might simply pass by if they weren't careful, and which serves no purpose other than to provide backstory--contained several articles pre-war articles, one of which explained how the US annexed Canada.

Just knowing that this material exists to be discovered can be enough to make the world feel like a real location, rather than a mess of buildings and AI characters. Even if you don't stop to explore a single house, the fact that there might be something to find behind those doors makes it that much more exciting of a game.

Most importantly, the richness of dialogue options and quest choices lives up to the Fallout standard. And while the quality of voice acting does not always live up to the original titles, this can be partly excused due to the sheer volume. Fallout 3 contains an enormous amount of characters, each presenting a satisfying number of dialogue paths and quest twists. It's a mind-boggling piece of work when examined as a whole.

It can make for some mind-boggling decisions when playing, as well. Save-loaders are going to have a difficult time with this game--those players who can't resist exploring every branch of every quest may find themselves torn, reloading the game repeatedly to take a different path. Players that can't decide whether to be a nice guy will have it even harder. At one point I found myself spinning off into evil for several hours, wiping out an entire town--including some very important quest-givers--just to see what would happen. As it turned out, I survived, but it was certainly more difficult to solve those quests.

The game does an admirable job of providing a large number of approaches to each quest. Generally each choice applies to a good, evil, or neutral approach to a situation. However, although your "karma' is tracked based on your good or bad deeds, it's less transparent than something like Fable II, never showing you just how many "evil points" you've earned. Fallout 3 also offers plenty of chances to escape from a situation using only dialogue, a feat mostly predicated upon your speech skill.

But amongst all of the varied characters and clever quests, the star of the game remains the world itself. To me, the wasteland of Bethesda's DC is far more captivating than any generic fantasy setting. There is a gritty reality to it that enhances almost every moment of outdoor exploration. Just staring off in the distance at the ruined hulks of our iconic national landmarks can be entrancing.

Bethesda's artists deserve an enormous amount of praise for pulling off such a compelling world. Making a collection of burned-out buildings and rocks into a beautiful, but believable landscape is no easy task, and the team exceeded my expectations. Oftentimes I found myself stopping in the middle of a long journey to admire the apocalyptic view, even as I was attacking by Radscorpions and other friendly wildlife.

Speaking of attacks, players will be faced with plenty of enemy encounters as they explore the wasteland--some random, some scripted. Often you'll simply run across packs of human raiders battling it out against Super Mutants. Other times you'll find innocent victims being held hostage by Super Mutants in disheveled houses. As you must first walk to a location before you can fast-travel to it, these side-shows serve as entertaining--and mostly optional--distractions to break up the long journeys.

If pure exploration isn't your thing, the combat is entertaining enough to compensate. While I was skeptical of how the slow-motion VATS system would impact the flow of the game, it works quite well in practice. With a press of the spacebar the game freezes, allowing you to target an enemy's head or leg. More often than not you'll go for a satisfying headshot, but immobilizing an enemy's leg or weapon-arm can also be a wise choice, and satisfying--watching a hobbled Super Mutant futilely amble toward you is a sick pleasure.

True to the Fallout style, players will have a huge amount of options when it comes to character builds. As always, a high speech skill level is preferred, allowing for far more dialogue choices during quests. Beyond that, it'll be up to your preferred play style. Specializing in stealth, demolition, giant guns or computer hacking can all be advantageous depending on the situation. The game is balanced such that you can choose enough of these skills to feel diverse in your powers, but not all-powerful.

Now, if I was looking for a reason to dock percentage points from a great game, I could pick out some flaws in Fallout 3. The stiff character animations that often lead to embarrassing mid-hallway collisions. The repetitious dungeons, in the form of the ghoul-infested metro tunnels.

But despite its flaws, the game more often surprised me with its polish. Every time I tried to creatively "break" Fallout 3, it defied me. When I jumped into a slave pen from above, trapping myself inside, a guard was triggered that opened the door from the outside before attacking me. When a quest took me deep into a dungeon, and then left me wandering all the way back out after completing it, the game interjected with a scripted sequence that whisked me off to another location--one of, if not the only time this happens in the game.

As you may read in other reviews, the ending of Fallout 3 is an abrupt, unsatisfying halt to a fantastic experience. But as with all good things, the journey is the important part, and it simply should not be missed. This is a game that can be played and replayed. Even the plodding nature of your character's movement speed seems to be Bethesda's way of telling us to slow down and smell the Brahmin.

So get out there and explore the edges of the wasteland. Take your time. Games like this don't come around every year.

Fallout 3 is something to savor.

Fallout 3 is out today on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

A note on platforms:

First of all, the PlayStation 3 version isn't an attractive option, considering exclusive DLC is lined up for the 360 and PC versions.

Now, I played through Fallout 3 on the PC. While I have not played the final version of Fallout 3 on the Xbox 360, I can make a few recommending statements based on my experience.

The game's UI and controls work perfectly well on the PC--the "A" and "E" keys provide easy loot and dialogue solutions--so that shouldn't factor into your decision. Regardless of that, I far preferred using a keyboard and mouse to control the game, especially in combat situations.

Load times on a high-end PC were mostly instantaneous, and even going from a major town into the wasteland only took a second or two. I can't speak for the final 360 version, but outside of the option to install the game on the 360 hard drive, load times will almost certainly be higher. And on a solid PC, with 4X AA and a widescreen monitor, Fallout 3 looks as good as it's ever going to get.

More than that, as I stated above, Fallout 3 just feels like a PC game. This is an immersive FPS in the classic sense. It's a game to be played a few feet from a monitor, with thick headphones clapped around your skull--preferably in the dark.

Even weighing the presentational advantages of a home theater setup, for me, the Fallout 3 platform of choice is the PC. If you have the means, I highly recommend it.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I switched my pre-order over from the CE to the standard edition. I just can't justify spending $20 on stuff I won't use. Plus after coupons I'm getting the game for $30 with release day shipping.

Does anyone know how amazon usually ships games when release day shipping is selected? Which carrier do they go through?[/quote]

what coupons? :)

Ok, so does this game "ship" tomorrow or actually come out tomorrow? What I want to know is, can I pick up my pre-ordered copy at Blockbuster tomorrow or the day after? :)

[quote name='Pck21']Ok, so does this game "ship" tomorrow or actually come out tomorrow? What I want to know is, can I pick up my pre-ordered copy at Blockbuster tomorrow or the day after? :)[/QUOTE]

It's street dated, meaning it shipped to stores around a week ago and will be ready for pickup when they open tomorrow.

I'm so tempted to just go buy the regular version and play it tonight. I bought the Collectors Edition online but I don't know if I can wait a few days. :lol:

[quote name='yukine']I'm so tempted to just go buy the regular version and play it tonight. I bought the Collectors Edition online but I don't know if I can wait a few days. :lol:[/QUOTE]

You'll be glad you waited.. I know the feeling though, I could easily rent this in two days and save myself 55$.

Alas, patience is not a virtue of mine.

Reviews

IGN.com 9.6
IGN AU 9.5
TeamXbox 9.4

I cant wait to pick up my pre-order after work tomorrow LE. All the reviews so far mimic the same thing "The Best game you'll play this year"

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Calamityuponthee']You'll be glad you waited.. I know the feeling though, I could easily rent this in two days and save myself 55$.

Alas, patience is not a virtue of mine.[/quote]\

Ugh, I'm too weak.

Called my Walmart and they will be selling them at midnight, I'll just have to sell it when my Collectors Edition comes.

I do wonder if the UPC is the same in the Collectors Edition? That way I won't take as big of a hit by selling it to someone opened.

[quote name='yukine']\

Ugh, I'm too weak.

Called my Walmart and they will be selling them at midnight, I'll just have to sell it when my Collectors Edition comes.

I do wonder if the UPC is the same in the Collectors Edition? That way I won't take as big of a hit by selling it to someone opened.[/quote]
Don't do it! I was in the same situation with you in GHWT, but I went against and I got it today so what I missed out a day and the way money is now hold on to it.

For the west coasters or anyone I guess wondering which to buy here are a couple pics. The lunch box is a full size kids lunch box and the game case sits inside with just a little wiggle room on each side. It has the outer clear/artworked slip cover like most CEs but I left that out. Looks pretty cool and the artbook is 95 pages and the bobble head is like a heavy plastic.

And for the people mentioning waiting on theirs to come in the mail.... The game inside is a SEALED normal edition. ;) UPC code is: 0 9315512680 0

thanks for the confirmation on the UPC. i wonder if gamestop will let me buy this at midnight launch without a preorder. i'm on the west coast...

Who has it, how is it? Like so far. I know the Eastcoasters have had some time with the game. I demand answers and no spoilers.

Damn Target gift card and Target not opening until 9 a.m.!

...and work. Damn work! :bomb: I have to pick it up tomorrow---afternoon. :sobs:

The Target ad at least for the west coast shows that they open at 8am for Fallout 3...

I can't believe my GameStop is not open for midnight launch!

My GS has a midnight launch, but I am too lazy to go. Traded in some games from flipping and I have $16 left to pay on the CE :) :)

[quote name='Kendal']Who has it, how is it? Like so far. I know the Eastcoasters have had some time with the game. I demand answers and no spoilers.[/quote]

Played 2 hours plus and it's fantastic. :applause: The answer is buy it and enjoy.

Put about an hour in. Man, this game has a wickedly hilarious sense of comedy that I wasn't expecting. The shooting feels a bit weird, then again using BB Gun when I got a pistol, but other then that pretty damn fun. Though all the talking and such makes me think of Half-Life, which isn't a bad thing.

I'm thinking of picking up either this or Fable 2. Can anyone who's played both shed any light on the core differences?

I mildly liked Oblivion, but not that much. I found the combat, stealth elements, and NPC conversations horribly clunky and not at all fun. Yet I still enjoyed wandering about the land seeing all the sights and sounds. Once I discovered that I could run faster than most enemies, I found myself frantically scrambling through the oblivion gates, checking my map every 2 seconds as I would when playing a Silent Hill game. Once I started "breaking the game" by running through it, I found it much more exciting, oddly enough. In other words, the game seemed broken in a lot of regards, but it was so ambitious that there was at least some way to make it fun for anyone. Not worth $60 for me, but not bad for $30. Fallout 3 looks much the same way, so I'm wondering if others who didn't love Oblivion (but also didn't hate it) feel differently about Fallout 3.

Haven't played the first Fable, so I have nothing to compare Fable 2 to other than Oblivion. I'm leaning towards buying Fable 2 over this, but I'm pretty on the fence. Any advice would be appreciated.

Just got back.

They only had the PS3 version... everyone who was waiting for it walked away with no game in hand.

Apparently all the Walmart stores in the area don't have the 360 version. Guess I have to wait a few days for my online copy, ugh.

[quote name='chickenboybryan']Fallout will be long and fable has op, where do want to spend your time? Both are great games. Thx xbox for wanting me time[/quote]

Meh, I was disappointed in Fable 2. So for me, it's Fallout 3 easily. However I hated Oblivion and it is my only hated Elder Scrolls game to date.

[quote name='yukine']Just got back.

They only had the PS3 version... everyone who was waiting for it walked away with no game in hand.

Apparently all the Walmart stores in the area don't have the 360 version. Guess I have to wait a few days for my online copy, ugh.[/quote]

Well, you're not the only one who got screwwed. :p

I had Release Date Delivery via Amazon for the PC CE. It still hasn't shipped, so I'm now ordering via in store pickup on Best Buys website and canceling my Amazon order. I guess Amazon still hasn't learned their lesson with video game shipping.

I just gotta say, before I pass out, that they could not have cast a better actor as your father than Liam Neeson.

[quote name='Kendal']Who has it, how is it? Like so far. I know the Eastcoasters have had some time with the game. I demand answers and no spoilers.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of spoilers, some motherfucker in line ruined part of Command & Conquer 3 for me tonight.

I'm picking up my copy in 2 1/2 hours and will be leaving work early to get some more game time. Well I'm also leaving early to drop some papers off at the courthouse.

[quote name='$hady']Played 2 hours plus and it's fantastic. :applause: The answer is buy it and enjoy.[/quote]

I ordered mine in June, I am waiting for my UPS delivery from Amazon. They don't sell the version I got in stores. :D

That is good to hear. I knew people would like it. I hope UPS is on the ball today. I want to play this before noon.

Game is good, i'm putting in my vote for GOTY.

Only thing I do not like is that they give you enough skills to choose from to last you til level 50, however the cap is level 20, so you can only maximize a few of the skillsets and 20 or so perks.

[quote name='Bezerker']Game is good, i'm putting in my vote for GOTY.

Only thing I do not like is that they give you enough skills to choose from to last you til level 50, however the cap is level 20, so you can only maximize a few of the skillsets and 20 or so perks.[/quote]

You can maximize most skills, possibly even all if you build your character in a specific way. Heck you can maximize more than half (EDIT: Just checked, 6 + Almost another full one) skills even without perks or books/bobbleheads.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='$hady']For the west coasters or anyone I guess wondering which to buy here are a couple pics. The lunch box is a full size kids lunch box and the game case sits inside with just a little wiggle room on each side. It has the outer clear/artworked slip cover like most CEs but I left that out. Looks pretty cool and the artbook is 95 pages and the bobble head is like a heavy plastic.

And for the people mentioning waiting on theirs to come in the mail.... The game inside is a SEALED normal edition. ;) UPC code is: 0 9315512680 0

[/quote]That settles it, CE for me!! See you after work Circuit city!

Did anyone else get the Special Edition Strategy Guide? I normally don't get those kind of things, but it said it was a hardcover and from what I've gathered from the GameStop guys the thing is more massive than the regular version and is really heavy for a book. Any confirmation/thoughts?

[quote name='jp0213']Did anyone else get the Special Edition Strategy Guide? I normally don't get those kind of things, but it said it was a hardcover and from what I've gathered from the GameStop guys the thing is more massive than the regular version and is really heavy for a book. Any confirmation/thoughts?[/QUOTE]

im getting da LE guide in da mail tomorrow

[quote name='jp0213']Did anyone else get the Special Edition Strategy Guide? I normally don't get those kind of things, but it said it was a hardcover and from what I've gathered from the GameStop guys the thing is more massive than the regular version and is really heavy for a book. Any confirmation/thoughts?[/quote]I saw one at BB last night on the shelf with the rest of the guides. It's freaking huge. :shock:

Just picked it up, and while it is still quite huge and the hardback looks great, it wasn't all that heavy. I haven't opened it up yet though to see what it looks like.

Anyone understand how selling stuff works? Do you get the same trade in value across the board? It looks like every possible trader has a set limit of money/caps and once you sell him that much he'll take your stuff but he won't cash you out anymore, is that correct?

Also, after your initial stat loadout you can only add to your stats(Agility/Luck/Intelligence/...) with special perks and by collecting bobbleheads? Thanks.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Also, after your initial stat loadout you can only add to your stats(Agility/Luck/Intelligence/...) with special perks and by collecting bobbleheads? Thanks.[/quote]

Yes. There's one bobblehead for each stat and skill (7 stat bobbles and 13 skill). I believe they raise a stat by 1 and a skill by 10.

There are also books for each skill, but I don't remember what the exact amount they raised the skills by was.

Okay question for others who got the game, both CE and regular. I noticed that my case for Fallout 3 in my CE looks more like an original Xbox case than the translucent of the 360. Anyone else get that on their CE or Regular?

Got my Amazon Survival Edition...

The Pip Boy 3000 "Alarm" Clock
-LED Screen isn't so hot. It's that kind of semi-gloss plastic screen that can scratch easily. NOT that you should be wearing this anyway...
-It says not to wear it, but you totally can. But I don't think it really snaps and closes properly.
-The Halo 3 cat helmet had better quality, thicker plastic. This isn't too bad. I'd say it's your typical toy plastic helmets, fake army or cowboy guns, etc. But I was expecting a little more weight and durability to it.
-Uses 3 AAA batteries...hope those last long.
-I was under the impression this was an alarm clock, but the instructions say nothing about that feature. Oh well. At least I have a clock to put on my nightstand.

About the CE: I didn't know the lunch box was like Assassin's Creed size. I thought it was a full size lunch box (like those Princess Peach or Mario DS boxes). I was concerned b/c the Pip Boy + CE was packaged in one cardboard Fallout 3 box that had another cardboard slipcover.

To the spoiler above
I love how it started slow and the baby stuff was awesome and something actually new. Exploring everything when you first get out of the vault is fun and I was combing every shack looking for whatever haha. This game is massive. :D

And not a spoiler, very much a GOTY contender. I'm loving it so far. So the strategy guide is nice and hardcover? Wow i'm not a guide kinda guy but that sounds interesting. I might have to pick that up.:cool:

bread's done
Back