Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

Is anyone else kind of disappointed in Fable II after playing Fallout 3? Like, I still think Fable II is a great game but it isn't as nearly a good a game as Fallout 3. :\

This game has very, very quickly vaulted (no pun intended) into my top five favorite games of all time, taking Oblivion's place. I love post apocalyptic settings (especially in movies like Mad Max and Doomsday), I love urban exploration, and this game combines the two. Throw in the RPG elements of Oblivion and you've got one of my favorite games this year.

Far Cry 2, Fable 2, Little Big Planet, Fallout 3.. I love this time of year. I really, really, really love this time of year.

And not even just those, in November, I have to pick up Smackdown vs Raw 09 and Mirror's Edge! Ahh!

Vault spoilers
so did anyone kill the Overseer? I did at first, but then I saw Amata, and she was freaking out (obviously) and I had been friends with her all my life so I didn't want to do that.. I re-loaded a save and kept the Overseer alive and he handed over the password and everything else.. the amount of choices you have in the game and the outcome is staggering

[quote name='Scorch']This game has very, very quickly vaulted (no pun intended) into my top five favorite games of all time, taking Oblivion's place. I love post apocalyptic settings (especially in movies like Mad Max and Doomsday), I love urban exploration, and this game combines the two. Throw in the RPG elements of Oblivion and you've got one of my favorite games this year.

Far Cry 2, Fable 2, Little Big Planet, Fallout 3.. I love this time of year. I really, really, really love this time of year.

And not even just those, in November, I have to pick up Smackdown vs Raw 09 and Mirror's Edge! Ahh!

Vault spoilers
so did anyone kill the Overseer? I did at first, but then I saw Amata, and she was freaking out (obviously) and I had been friends with her all my life so I didn't want to do that.. I re-loaded a save and kept the Overseer alive and he handed over the password and everything else.. the amount of choices you have in the game and the outcome is staggering
[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. Easily my favorite game this year.

[quote name='Scorch']This game has very, very quickly vaulted (no pun intended) into my top five favorite games of all time, taking Oblivion's place. I love post apocalyptic settings (especially in movies like Mad Max and Doomsday), I love urban exploration, and this game combines the two. Throw in the RPG elements of Oblivion and you've got one of my favorite games this year.

Vault spoilers
[/quote]

I killed him. Then I tried killing Amata but it wouldn't let me. Instead of dying, she would just faint for a few seconds and stand back up.

[quote name='yukafls']Someone help me, I am freakin out here :0[/quote]
The last time a game ever did that to me was Stranglehold and when it happend I just pressed the RT again and it returned to normal, don't know how well it'll work for you.
[quote name='Scorch']

Vault spoilers
[/quote]
I Did, but I just figured meh and let it be as Amata freaked out. I Did feel a bit bad, but not bad enough to stripping the Overseer and taking all his supplies.

Also more I play this game the more it sucks me in...

I played a lot yesterday.

I went on a tangent from my helpful, friendly self and
killed everyone in Megaton. After raiding their supplies, hacking computers, and seeing what I could get if I killed certain people (the Overseer's key, a bobblehead, holotapes, and other very interesting goodies), I went off on a trek to GNR Plaza. Along the way, I encountered mutants, raiders, and creepy minotaurs. I leveled up myself to level 5, and had no difficulty taking down Super Mutants. Stupidly, I didn't save my Very Evil tangent, and was killed by multiple rockets during a gun fight at GNR Plaza. If only I could have fixed the minigun; I would have killed those GNR Plaza raiders very quickly. All I had that worked was my pistol that dealt out 9 damage. I am glad I explored early. It got that craving out of my system, and now I will focus on quests and sidequests. But man, that was quite an epic journey.

Fallout 3 is incredible and incredibly immersive.

I have to get up for work in four hours. :cold:

Just put in my first 3.5 hours of the game in. I'm finding some of the combat difficult as I don't really have anything good as far as equipment goes. I'm liking the conversations so far though.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']
I killed him. Then I tried killing Amata but it wouldn't let me. Instead of dying, she would just faint for a few seconds and stand back up.
[/QUOTE]

You ruined a pretty cool quest you get later in the game by doing that. I doubt it will be available to you. That's the main problem I had with going through the game. I had to think about my decisions, and how they would affect quests later on.

Regarding the Overseer
I killed him as well, but after seeing Amata freak out I reloaded and didn't kill him.

Enjoying the game so far, played about 8 hours in one sitting which doesn't happen too often. I haven't even gotten very far in the game but I did something stupid that look me a pretty long time. Basically, I went where I didn't have to go searching for The Family.

Haha looks like we were all thinking alike
I killed the Overseer as well and I also killed that little adopted girls dad in Megaton. LOL He caught me stealing and I had to shut him up. So yea I went ahead and destroyed Megaton since i'd already started the ball rolling. I saved it right before that point to go back to later and see what happens if you disarm the bomb instead. I'll prolly just restart and play the whole thing as good sometime later on. Also go an extra save set aside when I was at level 6 to see if I can get back to good karma or neutral for achievement points lol. If I can't it's fine because i'll be playing back through this sometime in the future anyway, i'll just have to be a good guy next time.

I'm playing a somewhat good guy. I have to commit a lot of minor crimes though because I started my game with the idea of having good lockpick/hacking/speech skills and two of those give bad karma. I'm still "Good" though so as long as I don't start killing innocent people I should be fine.

[quote name='Draekon']
There are a few places in Megaton that you can sell. One is the little bar at the bottom, another is the bar at the top, and then finally at Craterside.

It just sucks that they're limited on how much they give in return. Makes it a little bit of a pain.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up.

Don't know why I didn't think I couldn't sell at Craterside. It had a buy option but I didn't think to hit "LT" to sell :)

[quote name='$hady']Haha looks like we were all thinking alike
I killed the Overseer as well and I also killed that little adopted girls dad in Megaton. LOL He caught me stealing and I had to shut him up. So yea I went ahead and destroyed Megaton since i'd already started the ball rolling. I saved it right before that point to go back to later and see what happens if you disarm the bomb instead. I'll prolly just restart and play the whole thing as good sometime later on. Also go an extra save set aside when I was at level 6 to see if I can get back to good karma or neutral for achievement points lol. If I can't it's fine because i'll be playing back through this sometime in the future anyway, i'll just have to be a good guy next time.
[/quote]

When you do the opposite in Megaton you get:
a house with a robotic butler who gives you free water and free haircuts. It also provides a place to sleep and had a stand to hold all your bobbleheads. It also seems like the stuff you put in your house won't randomly disappear as well.

[quote name='Chroma914']Anyone know how to get to the following location (early game spoilers maybe)
The GN Radio building
? I swear I hiked around for a good 45 minutes and have no clue how to actually get there.[/quote]

Anyone?

[quote name='Chroma914']Anyone?[/quote]

yea, it's kind of confusing at first. but you have to walk down into the first subway station and find it from there. at least that's what I did..

Vault spoilers
[/quote]
I did. He was running at me and I thought he was going to attack me like the guard did, if I had known he wasn't I think I would of let him live.

anyone good at character building? This is my first character what do you guys think?

S 5
P 5
E 7
C 4
I 7
A 7
L 5

And for perks I'm choosing Small Guns, Big Guns, Repair

I only got to play through the intro last night. Some funny stuff happened.
I was sneaking around as people searched for me in the vault when I came upon Amata being harassed by two guys. I snuck in the room and killed one of them with a stealth bat attack only to have Amata scream, "My father!" Oops.

I'm done with this thread for now, I don't want to accidently read spoilers until I've done at least one walkthrough.

[quote name='badramen']Is anyone else kind of disappointed in Fable II after playing Fallout 3? Like, I still think Fable II is a great game but it isn't as nearly a good a game as Fallout 3. :\[/quote]

I am not. This game is good and I like it a million times better than other Bethesda products, but Fable II really sucked me in from the start. This is again a great game, but it hasn't given me a connection like I did with Fable II. I haven't played as much of this game yet. But so far, I enjoyed Fable II more than this.

Anyway, going to throw more time at this game. :whee:

Has anyone played the game with an Int stat of 1 yet? Curious if they limited your convo replies and NPCs treated you like a moran, like in the previous games.

[quote name='DCriminal']Wow. Based on five hours of playing, I have to say that this is strong contender for Game of the Year.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly concur.

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']anyone good at character building? This is my first character what do you guys think?

S 5
P 5
E 7
C 4
I 7
A 7
L 5

And for perks I'm choosing Small Guns, Big Guns, Repair[/quote]

That's not bad, I s'pose. Mine looked something like:

S 5 (Now 7)
P 7 (Now 9)
E 5
C 4
I 9 (Now 10)
A 9
L 1 (I think it's higher now?)

Doing fine so far and I just hit level 8 with very good karma. Most of my skills have gone into Lockpicking/Science/Speech with a little into Medicine, Repair, and Small Arms.

This game is like crack. Didn't mean to finish a quest and ended up finishing it anyway.

Killin' ants and disarmin' bombs

Can't wait to get the funds to decorate the casa.

[quote name='badramen']Is anyone else kind of disappointed in Fable II after playing Fallout 3? Like, I still think Fable II is a great game but it isn't as nearly a good a game as Fallout 3. :\[/quote]
I feel the same way as well. Mostly though I kept hitting every bug in the game and had to restart 4 times.

Met my first Super Mutant Behemoth. He wasn't very friendly as you can see:

behemoth.jpg

Well when I was running to deliver that letter, I ran into two Super Mutants and they had fucking Rock-It launchers, I took one out and then my head asploded.

Came across a glitched achievement, minor spoilers I suppose.

Following in His Footsteps. Basically I didn't pay Moriarty to find out about my dad and was doing a bunch of side quests. The quests took me to Rivet City and I talked to Dr. Lei completing the Following in His Footsteps quest in my Pipboy, but not giving me the achievement points. I tried going back to Moriarty and paying him, but the option is no longer there. A bit annoying, but at least it is early in the game and would be pretty easy to grab in another playthough.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Came across a glitched achievement, minor spoilers I suppose.

Following in His Footsteps. Basically I didn't pay Moriarty to find out about my dad and was doing a bunch of side quests. The quests took me to Rivet City and I talked to Dr. Lei completing the Following in His Footsteps quest in my Pipboy, but not giving me the achievement points. I tried going back to Moriarty and paying him, but the option is no longer there. A bit annoying, but at least it is early in the game and would be pretty easy to grab in another playthough.
[/quote]

I don't think it's glitched in the way that you don't get the achievement as I did the same thing after Moriarty. Then I went to the place I was suppose to go before Rivet City (The Radio Station that fights the "good fight") and got the achievement.

[quote name='Draekon']I don't think it's glitched in the way that you don't get the achievement as I did the same thing after Moriarty. Then I went to the place I was suppose to go before Rivet City (The Radio Station that fights the "good fight") and got the achievement.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I guess I'll just stumble on that? Is that where Moriarty tells you where to go after you pay him or does he tell you to go to Rivet City?

How are the side quests in this game? Looking at the achievement list it looks like the majority of the ACH come from finishing story-line quests.

In Oblivion, you could kind of get an idea about the side quests such as the Fighters Guild, Thieves Guild and such.

I would have thought that you might have different quests lines for the factions in the such as the Brotherhood of Steel and the Enclave (which I assume are in the game).

I'm doing that quest right now but instead of paying
I hacked into his computer and then got the information. You can't even mention the dad to him now.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Oh, I guess I'll just stumble on that? Is that where Moriarty tells you where to go after you pay him or does he tell you to go to Rivet City?[/quote]

I don't remember if he tells you, but it's the next point in the chain. After that though, I don't know as I got the Rivet City glitch also like I mentioned before.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']How are the side quests in this game? Looking at the achievement list it looks like the majority of the ACH come from finishing story-line quests.

In Oblivion, you could kind of get an idea about the side quests such as the Fighters Guild, Thieves Guild and such.

I would have thought that you might have different quests lines for the factions in the such as the Brotherhood of Steel and the Enclave (which I assume are in the game).[/QUOTE]

The side quests aren't linear like they are in Oblivion. You get them from talking to random NPCs. Most of the achievements actually come from side quests.

[quote name='Chase']I have no idea how to get to the Museum of Technology. :whistle2:([/quote]

Amen, same here. I swear this game is incredibly frustrating in the way you can get lost so easily.

[quote name='Draekon']Use subway tunnels.[/quote]

I'll try that later.

When I return to Fallout 3, I'll be off to Jefferson Memorial (from Rivet City).

[quote name='Draekon']When you do the opposite in Megaton you get:
a house with a robotic butler who gives you free water and free haircuts. It also provides a place to sleep and had a stand to hold all your bobbleheads. It also seems like the stuff you put in your house won't randomly disappear as well.
[/quote]

You get the exact same thing..........
in Tenpenny Tower :p
Also the chick who wants to use you in her book and send you for landmines will still be there after it blows up but she's torn up and a ghoul now. Oh yea and after I killed the little girls adopted dad I found her wondering the streets talking about who will raise her now. Maybe she will join the church and let that lady care for her she says.

I've been playing quests out of order and just scouting around alot. I'm gonna hop on now and work on the main storyline from the start.

DAMN!
I went into one of the metro subway stations, and I had done some explring to get dogmeat at the scrapland, and i ran into my first mutant guy with a rocket launcher. After unloading on him in the subway I got the launcher and exited back out the door to the aboveground and a message displayed that Dogmeat had died! fuck!

Other than that this game is really blowing me away, it is the only game that I have played that does pretty much everything right. Easily becoming one of my favorites of all time.

[quote name='smarkbran']DAMN!
I went into one of the metro subway stations, and I had done some explring to get dogmeat at the scrapland, and i ran into my first mutant guy with a rocket launcher. After unloading on him in the subway I got the launcher and exited back out the door to the aboveground and a message displayed that Dogmeat had died! fuck!

Other than that this game is really blowing me away, it is the only game that I have played that does pretty much everything right. Easily becoming one of my favorites of all time.[/quote]

I haven't yet gone to
get Dogmeat
specifically because
I don't want him dying
. :oops:

[quote name='smarkbran']DAMN!

Other than that this game is really blowing me away, it is the only game that I have played that does pretty much everything right. Easily becoming one of my favorites of all time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had Dogmeat die on me earlier today and I decided re-playing the previous 15 minutes from my save point was worth having the mangy little mutt back with me.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
Yeah, I had Dogmeat die on me earlier today and I decided re-playing the previous 15 minutes from my save point was worth having the mangy little mutt back with me.
[/quote]

You're going to have to reload after every battle...

[quote name='Trakan']
You're going to have to reload after every battle...
[/quote]

Well, now I'm glad
I haven't gone for Dogmeat. I would feel compelled to reload and regain my in-game pal. :oops:

Edit: And has anyone actually
set off the bomb in Megaton? If so, what happens (and where did you find the part)?

[quote name='DCriminal']Wow. Based on five hours of playing, I have to say that this is strong contender for Game of the Year.[/quote]
It's a great game, but so far it seems like they didn't even try to fix most of the flaws that Oblivion had.

bread's done
Back