Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

[quote name='$hady'] So the strategy guide is nice and hardcover? Wow i'm not a guide kinda guy but that sounds interesting. I might have to pick that up.:cool:[/quote]

I'm not normally strategy guide guy either, but if it's the right price or looks nice I'll get it. They have a hardcover special edition version. It's definitely a nice book, and it has a large world map on the inside that isn't attached to the book so it come out without damaging anything. It's large enough I might actually put that thing in a frame.

This game makes me feel like The Hulk with a puppy. I Go in hoping to make things alright by being gentle, but instead it just gets crushed in my hands and I make a bigger mess then originally planned.

there is two strategy guide the reguler one (soft cover) and the colectors edition one (hardcover)

also here is a pic of the pip boy on a wrist from kotaku
2lo582c.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5069898/check-out-my-sweet-pip+boy-watch

[quote name='v1et r1ce']I tried looking this up but was a little confused

Is this game basically Oblivion with guns?[/QUOTE]

Kind of. It's made by the same people who made Oblivion and it runs on the same engine as far as I know. So it's a yes and no.

Is this game basically Oblivion with guns?[/quote]

I hate Oblivion, but I don't hate this. At least not yet.

So far everything is proceeding smoothly. Giant naked mole rat attacks, mutants named Centaurs that throw what looks to be shit at you, and the good old clean water beggars.

So is there a big difference in content between the CE guide and the regular guide other than the behind-the-scene look at the game? It seems to be a really good deal at Amazon for only $21, but CC has the regular in the ad for $10.

[quote name='Over easy']So is there a big difference in content between the CE guide and the regular guide other than the behind-the-scene look at the game? It seems to be a really good deal at Amazon for only $21, but CC has the regular in the ad for $10.[/quote]

WOW thanks for that info. The guide is talked about in the last few pages, it sounds pretty slick and a nice collectible to go along with the CE.
http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-Colle...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225224878&sr=8-1

I'm going to order it now, I was considering it at full price minus a $5 BB rewards coupon but for $21 it's a no brainer. Sucks Amazon charges tax since we have a warehouse 15 minutes from me but yea it's still dirt cheap. Now the question is what to buy to get over $25 and free shipping. :cool:

EDIT: Looks like the CC regular edition price is $15 not $10 unless you buy the game there.

Can't wait to play more of the game. I played for about 3 hours last night late and i'm about to start a marathon now. :drool: Definitely this game is more than Oblivion with guns. And much better than Fable 2, I got bored with that game. I'll pick it up when the game drought comes early next year and finish it then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is this game basically Oblivion with guns?[/QUOTE]

Not really. It's a WHOLE lot more.

From the Gamespy review:

Yes, Fallout 3 is a lot like Oblivion (with guns!), but it's a superior game in nearly every way, as it features a more engaging storyline, impeccable presentation, and hundreds of hours of addictive gameplay. While the jury is still out on whether or not hardcore Fallout enthusiasts will accept the game as part of the storied franchise, Fallout 3 is a must-have title for most RPG fans, as well as one of the finest games of this generation.

[quote name='Dynasty1756']Has anybody picked up there copy of Fallout 3 from CC? How is the mini strategy guide?[/QUOTE]

Its a pamphlet. I mean better than nothing, but I left it there for the guy after he rang up the regular edition guide for $10.

I would have to say that I have probably a good 15 hours into this game and I am about 3/4th of the way through the main quest.

Really, Fallout 3 and Oblivion are totally different beats, even though they do feel a lot like each other at times.

Overall it is a really great game. The game starts off a little slow and fairly difficult, but once you good get some good gear and a little father into the story line, it really starts picking up.

I do have to say to say though, make sure you put a lot of points into Lockpicking. It is a very important skill.

Gamefly shipped me this game today so I'll be playing it in 2 or 3 days. Wasn't a fan of Oblivion but everything I've seen of this game looked great, so we'll see.

And if I like it, I can keep it for only $50, which is nice.

I annoyed the trader people that stand around in various places. I killed one of them and now they all hate me! Uh ohs. I gotta figure out how to make them happy with me again, cuz currently I have to go back to Megaton anytime I want to buy or sell stuff, and that's a bit annoying.

This game is very, very tough at first. I've put a few hours in, and I have yet to obtain any quality gear. Does anyone know how to repair stuff? Apparently you're supposed to fix your gear with random junk, but what random junk? I have so much random just and I have no idea what to do with it...

So what skills are everyone starting out with? I chose speech, science, and small arms. I read the lockpicking is pretty useful too, but I could only choose three to start out with.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']This game is very, very tough at first. I've put a few hours in, and I have yet to obtain any quality gear. Does anyone know how to repair stuff? Apparently you're supposed to fix your gear with random junk, but what random junk? I have so much random just and I have no idea what to do with it...[/QUOTE]

I think you can only repair a weapon with another of the same.

So, I have two of the same pistol. Highlight the one that you want to repair and press Y. It should take you to another menu from their. You have to scrap a copy of that same weapon if you want to repair it, though.

My god this game is awesome. I must have played like 7 hours of it today.

I've played Fallout 1 and 2 through many times since they came out and I'd easily say they're my favorite games of all time.

I also got bored of Oblivion after about 10 hours. It had more to do with the setting and the writing than anything else though. I consistently saw parallels between fallout and oblivion as I was playing the latter, it's just that Oblivion was sort of boring.

As for Fallout 3, it really feels almost entirely unlike but not completely similar to the old Fallout games. It plays much like Oblivion did, but in the Fallout universe. The combat is very similar to oblivion when you're outside the V.A.T.S system, but when you're using that you can't help but think that this is what Fallout would be if it was real time.

For example, I stumble across two super mutants in the wasteland who are poised to rip my head from my shoulders. Using vats, I was able to make one lose his minigun he was carrying by crippling his arm (no two handed weapons as a result) and the other slowed down because I got a crit on his legs. I thought for sure I was going to die when I saw those Mutants coming over the horizon, because I remember the first time I saw them in Fallout 1 they were such fucking impossible things to kill. I still was way underpowered, but like the old games, you can use targeted hits to swing the odds in your favor. Very awesome.

I think that's the real difference, along with the perks and SPECIAL that makes it just cling onto that classic Fallout feeling. As much as the setting and story ARE Fallout, all those little Oblivion engine things (Glitches, simliar sounding npcs, the control) tend to pull you out of the "This is a Fallout game" mood every once in a while.

The music also doesn't really feel right. It lacks that tribal feeling that the other games had. But they were more about being in the desert and many of the people and locations were tribal. Fallout 3 has a bit more of a modern feel to it. Closer to the old west than ancient native americans. The variety is good, but I was hoping to hear a few of the old tracks from Fallout 1 and 2.

If you're a fallout fan you should buy and play this regardless. Bethesda's effort and ability to pull something off like this with such a huge budget is worth supporting, even if they didn't get it perfect or it isn't exactly like the old games.

If I had my way there'd be a 2D, Turn Based, Isometric fallout as well, but this is a quality product on it's own. Not as good as the originals so far, but still a great, must play RPG, even in this packed holiday season.

I'm in the process of creating my character. I accidentally chose facial hair. Is there any way to remove it from my character in the creation process?

Edit:
Nevermind. You just click on what you chose to remove it. :oops:

[quote name='Chase']I'm in the process of creating my character. I accidentally chose facial hair. Is there any way to remove it from my character in the creation process?[/quote]
I Believe right before you escape The Valut (meaning step out the door and into the "real world"), it'll give you the option to change your stats if you aren't satisfied with them.

Wow, what a tough start. Played about 3 hours worth of today and am loving it... but it's pretty tough. I remember seeing those super mutants in a video, and one of the devs saying they are like the toughest characters in the game. Why do we have to fight these guys from the get go?

[quote name='NateNinja']Wow, what a tough start. Played about 3 hours worth of today and am loving it... but it's pretty tough. I remember seeing those super mutants in a video, and one of the devs saying they are like the toughest characters in the game. Why do we have to fight these guys from the get go?[/quote]

Super Mutants are some the toughest enemies in the game... however those are just the plain vanilla versions of them. There will be tougher versions you will face.

I would say the two best weapons to get are the Chinese assault rifle and the combat shotgun. If you are gonna (spoilers about megaton)
Blow up Megaton, then go ahead and go on a killing spree and take all of the loot. Lucas Sims especially has a lot of it.

Also, another key is ALWAYS use VATS if you can. It is way more accurate and you seem to do more crits that way as well. Finally, remember that whenever you are inside buildings, look around for sinks, you can drink out of them and gain alot of health, but get some radiation. It is totally worth it though.

What do you think is the best way to profit from all the loot you pick up, darthbudge?

Ugh, put about 5 hours into the game but don't like my stats at all, I think I'm gonna start over. Luckily I'm not very far into it, spent most of that time goofing around.

Also, is it safe to store my loot inside random lockers and boxes?

[quote name='$hady']WOW thanks for that info. The guide is talked about in the last few pages, it sounds pretty slick and a nice collectible to go along with the CE.
http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-Colle...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225224878&sr=8-1

I'm going to order it now, I was considering it at full price minus a $5 BB rewards coupon but for $21 it's a no brainer. Sucks Amazon charges tax since we have a warehouse 15 minutes from me but yea it's still dirt cheap. Now the question is what to buy to get over $25 and free shipping. :cool:

EDIT: Looks like the CC regular edition price is $15 not $10 unless you buy the game there.

Can't wait to play more of the game. I played for about 3 hours last night late and i'm about to start a marathon now. :drool: Definitely this game is more than Oblivion with guns. And much better than Fable 2, I got bored with that game. I'll pick it up when the game drought comes early next year and finish it then.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. The guide was $23.09 when I pre-ordered it. I emailed them for the difference.

Can you sell unwanted items at Craterside in Megaton? Or am I missing a shop?

I've picked up lots of random stuff from the vault, abandoned houses and so on that I'd like to get rid off.

Anyone who got the LE have pics of all the swag? Not like the pics on gamestop's site, but like actual pics taken by actual owners of the game.

Have to say I'm enjoying the 'good' karma playthrough quite a bit. I have a house in Megaton, which has a butler. Free waters and haircuts galore! Plus it has a bobblehead stand. Pretty damned cool. Also did another quest which now gives me free heals from a doctor, which is also nice.

I have to wonder at one thing though as I feel I skipped a section of the main quest because I talked to an NPC in another part of the world that I didn't have an objective to, but the previous quest is gone (Which I never completed) and updated to new stuff.

[quote name='asianxcore']Can you sell unwanted items at Craterside in Megaton? Or am I missing a shop?

I've picked up lots of random stuff from the vault, abandoned houses and so on that I'd like to get rid off.[/quote]

There are a few places in Megaton that you can sell. One is the little bar at the bottom, another is the bar at the top, and then finally at Craterside.

It just sucks that they're limited on how much they give in return. Makes it a little bit of a pain.

Anyone know how to get to the following location (early game spoilers maybe)
The GN Radio building
? I swear I hiked around for a good 45 minutes and have no clue how to actually get there.

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']
2lo582c.jpg

[/quote]

Wow, that thing looks like crap compared to the original picture, but I guess thats how they try to hook you into buying it...

fallout3-se.jpg

I'll probably end up keeping mine as i'm sure it'll just become more and more rare, assuming Amazon doesnt release more.

For anyone looking to make their gameplay a bit easier, max out your speech and head to Big Town. There is a guy there (Pappy i think) who has a "Speech" option that gives xp everytime its successful. Just keep on hitting the speech and you can get up to level 20 in an hour or two.

I killed everyone in Megaton, that small settlement on top of the bridge, and Bigtown. I plan on wiping out Paradise Falls soon and pretty much every single city/town/settlement I come across. I maxed out Strength from the get go, so I just bash everyone's head in for the most part, the shotgun usually takes care of whatever melee can't. This game is quite awesome, killing people right after trading/talking/completing quests with/for them never gets old. I plan on playing it again with maxed out Speech to see how big of a different it'll be.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Anyone who got the LE have pics of all the swag? Not like the pics on gamestop's site, but like actual pics taken by actual owners of the game.[/quote]
purchases030mediumoc8.jpg

purchases031mediumfl8.jpg

An example page from the art book. It's only about 100 pages, but it's got a lot of art work on each page.

awww my vault-tec bobble head is busted....it came un-glued from his feet.....think I will just try to re-glue it

overall I'm happy with the collectors edition, the lunch box is pretty sweet

This LE is everything the Fable Dos isn't. Good and worth something. To me at least. I am going to pick up the guide tomorrow.

[quote name='Kendal']This LE is everything the Fable Dos isn't. Good and worth something. To me at least. I am going to pick up the guide tomorrow.[/quote]
Seconded.

I have just found a problem....I can't shoot, it shoots for me when I bring my inventory up or hit pause and then unpause. I don't know what happened but I need help.

bread's done
Back