Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

[quote name='yukafls']Anyone????[/quote]

There's a fourth key but it's on a body in the Fort. It's pretty hard not to come across while you're in there.

Cool for the last key, but how do I get to the ghoul leader, where is he and I talk to every tenant. I got a REALLY strong gun. I got it off of the
Android if you choose to warn him

[quote name='yukafls']Cool for the last key, but how do I get to the ghoul leader, where is he and I talk to every tenant. I got a REALLY strong gun. I got it off of the
Android if you choose to warn him
[/quote]

There is a subway entrance to the west of the tower. This leads to the ghoul leader. The name of it escapes me at the moment though.

Had a tough choice to make today. I recently got a $50 Wal Mart giftcard as a gift and went to pick-up a DualShock3 today. I saw in the glass case they had a FallOut 3 collector's edition for $79.99.

I haven't played F3 and it didn't look as great as I thought it would, so I went with the controller (plus I didn't want to pay $30 out of pocket). I might hold off on opening it until I can manage to rent a copy though...

EDIT: what would you guys compare this game too? It's an RPG, but an FPS as well, right?

[quote name='lolwut?']Had a tough choice to make today. I recently got a $50 Wal Mart giftcard as a gift and went to pick-up a DualShock3 today. I saw in the glass case they had a FallOut 3 collector's edition for $79.99.

I haven't played F3 and it didn't look as great as I thought it would, so I went with the controller (plus I didn't want to pay $30 out of pocket). I might hold off on opening it until I can manage to rent a copy though...

EDIT: what would you guys compare this game too? It's an RPG, but an FPS as well, right?[/quote]

It's Oblivion.

[quote name='Persona7']Anyone have any general tips for a new game? I should be getting my copy tomorrow and I want to be extra ready.

I have been reading up on gamefaqs and a few others forums as well.[/QUOTE]http://www.wikicheats.com/index.php/Fallout_3_-_PC_PS3_XB360/Character_Building

Don't put any of your SPECIAL stats to 10, there's a bobblehead collectable available for each that's a +1 so any more than 9 and it'll go to waste. Plus keep in mind that there are articles of clothing that can supplement your stats. I always carry different ones that give different boosts and equip them whenever necessary. For example, I have like five extra uniforms/suits that boost my repair/lockpicking/science/sneak/small arms skills by 5-10 points which comes in handy for skills that have requisites, like picking locks or hacking computers or repairing weapons.

I wouldn't bother with Luck at all. Put at least 4 points into Intelligence and purchase the Educated perk ASAP. I personally boosted my Strength so that I could carry more weight, Agility so I could be more effective in VATS, Endurance to up my HP and Intelligence to 9 boost my medicine/repair/science skills and so that when I level up I get 19 points minimum to spend instead of 11. The bobblehead for Intelligence is available early in the game when you get to Rivet City.

I would also avoid any perks that offer a direct XP bonus, there's a level cap of 20 which isn't hard to hit at all so you won't need any help with that.

Along the way you'll run into rare bottles of Quantum Nuke Cola. These are blueish and if you find any you should hold onto them. There's a quest that rewards you for collecting 30 of these. Same goes for "Pre-war Books", but instead of it being a quest there'll be a NPC that'll pay you 100 caps for each one you collect.

I would also look up the quest related perks since they're basically free stat boosts if you were gonna do the quest anyways.

http://www.wikicheats.com/index.php/Fallout_3_-_PC_PS3_XB360/Character_Building#Quest-Related_Perks

[quote name='Mojimbo']http://www.wikicheats.com/index.php/Fallout_3_-_PC_PS3_XB360/Character_Building

Don't put any of your SPECIAL stats to 10, there's a bobblehead collectable available for each that's a +1 so any more than 9 and it'll go to waste. Plus keep in mind that there are articles of clothing that can supplement your stats. I always carry different ones that give different boosts and equip them whenever necessary. For example, I have like five extra uniforms/suits that boost my repair/lockpicking/science/sneak/small arms skills by 5-10 points which comes in handy for skills that have requisites, like picking locks or hacking computers or repairing weapons.

I wouldn't bother with Luck at all. Put at least 4 points into Intelligence and purchase the Educated perk ASAP. I personally boosted my Strength so that I could carry more weight, Agility so I could be more effective in VATS, Endurance to up my HP and Intelligence to 9 boost my medicine/repair/science skills and so that when I level up I get 19 points minimum to spend instead of 11. The bobblehead for Intelligence is available early in the game when you get to Rivet City.

I would also avoid any perks that offer a direct XP bonus, there's a level cap of 20 which isn't hard to hit at all so you won't need any help with that.

Along the way you'll run into rare bottles of Quantum Nuke Cola. These are blueish and if you find any you should hold onto them. There's a quest that rewards you for collecting 30 of these. Same goes for "Pre-war Books", but instead of it being a quest there'll be a NPC that'll pay you 100 caps for each one you collect.

I would also look up the quest related perks since they're basically free stat boosts if you were gonna do the quest anyways.

http://www.wikicheats.com/index.php/Fallout_3_-_PC_PS3_XB360/Character_Building#Quest-Related_Perks[/quote]I can agree with all that except the part about not bothering with Luck. I didn't touch it my first playthrough, but after adding it to a second character noticed that my critical hit frequency shot waaay up. Combined with the fact that having a good number of points towards Luck (6, I think) grants you access to the Scrounger perk - that lets you pickup considerably more ammo than you normally would - I'd say you don't want to completely ignore that S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attribute.

I dunno, there are only so many special points available and it doesn't seem to offer much in return compared to the fundamentals. As it is I dumped 3 into luck at the very beginning and I kinda regret it. I was thinking about that ammo perk but I was able to make do by diversifying my small arms and eventually I was drowning in 10mm/assault rifle/shotgun ammo after hitting the right sidequests. Just today I went from 100 to 800+ A.R. ammo by scavenging.

[quote name='Mojimbo']I dunno, there are only so many special points available and it doesn't seem to offer much in return compared to the fundamentals. As it is I dumped 3 into luck at the very beginning and I kinda regret it. I was thinking about that ammo perk but I was able to make do by diversifying my small arms and eventually I was drowning in 10mm/assault rifle/shotgun ammo after hitting the right sidequests. Just today I went from 100 to 800+ A.R. ammo by scavenging.[/quote]By the time I did a handful of quests (the ones you probably speak of where I started loading up on ammo) it was too late to even matter in the main storyline because I had beaten all but the last mission. I do have more fun, though, with Luck being a factor with the ammo increase and with the Mysterious Stranger perk on :cool:

[quote name='lolwut?']Had a tough choice to make today. I recently got a $50 Wal Mart giftcard as a gift and went to pick-up a DualShock3 today. I saw in the glass case they had a FallOut 3 collector's edition for $79.99.

EDIT: what would you guys compare this game too? It's an RPG, but an FPS as well, right?[/quote]

Well besides the obvious (Oblivion), I'd say it is kind of like Deus Ex?

Caved in and bought a strategy guide. I Think this is one of those games where to get full experience, it's completely necessary. Though I Kinda fucked up already, since I found Paradise Falls on my own and first thing I do is...well, unload clip after clip after clip.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I can agree with all that except the part about not bothering with Luck. I didn't touch it my first playthrough, but after adding it to a second character noticed that my critical hit frequency shot waaay up. Combined with the fact that having a good number of points towards Luck (6, I think) grants you access to the Scrounger perk - that lets you pickup considerably more ammo than you normally would - I'd say you don't want to completely ignore that S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attribute.[/quote]

I would advise that one put 6 in luck so that you can get the Mysterious Stranger Perk when you hit level 10! I am actually quite far into the game, 15 hours or so, and I am going to start over I think. I am really not satisfied with some of my stat alignments and such.

w00t...whored out some more achievements tonight...got the travelling one, the killed 300 monsters, killed 300 humans, level 20 good, and level 20 evil, along with a few quests achievements. anybody else do "oasis"? what a mind-trip o_____0

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']I would advise that one put 6 in luck so that you can get the Mysterious Stranger Perk when you hit level 10! I am actually quite far into the game, 15 hours or so, and I am going to start over I think. I am really not satisfied with some of my stat alignments and such.[/quote]
My luck is at 5, I guess I'll just have to find the Luck bobblehead. :)

[quote name='lolwut?']Hmm, I hated Oblivion...[/quote]

I did too. I would say it has the interface of Oblivion without the boring, empty, lifeless world. It has a great story, good music and top notch humor. Also you can blow people's heads up and they will explode into many pieces and you can see eyeballs flying out from the mess. It is hard to get into at first, but once you get the traveling down the game picks up and is very enjoyable. This is easily up there as one of the best games I have played this generation.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']By the time I did a handful of quests (the ones you probably speak of where I started loading up on ammo) it was too late to even matter in the main storyline because I had beaten all but the last mission. I do have more fun, though, with Luck being a factor with the ammo increase and with the Mysterious Stranger perk on :cool:[/QUOTE]I did the math and I don't need to spend any more of my perks on skill points boosts so I'm gonna use that one perk to boost my luck stat by 2 and get that bobblehead so I can snag that Mysterious Stranger perk in a couple of levels. :eek:)

Is it effective?

EDIT: what would you guys compare this game too? It's an RPG, but an FPS as well, right?[/quote]IMO you probably made the wrong choice.

I too HATEd Oblivion, snoozfest with lame quests (sorry not big into magic/fantasy setting) but I'm loving F3. Don't blow it off because it is similar to Oblivion, it's pretty fun.

About Tranquility Lane
how do you do this without just killing everyone? I heard something about this communist guy but I don't have any idead what that is abuot

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']About Tranquility Lane
how do you do this without just killing everyone? I heard something about this communist guy but I don't have any idead what that is abuot
[/quote]

In the abandoned house there is a few items you can interact with. When you use them they make a tone, whenever you go out of order you hear like a buzzing sound. Keep trying out different combos with them, starting over if you ever get them wrong, and then a console will uncloak.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']IMO you probably made the wrong choice.

I too HATEd Oblivion, snoozfest with lame quests (sorry not big into magic/fantasy setting) but I'm loving F3. Don't blow it off because it is similar to Oblivion, it's pretty fun.[/quote]

Honestly, it might be great, but it can only go down in price, and I don't really need to shell $30 out of my pocket for a lunchbox and a bobble head.

I will definately rent it at some point in time though

[quote name='lolwut?']Honestly, it might be great, but it can only go down in price, and I don't really need to shell $30 out of my pocket for a lunchbox and a bobble head.

I will definately rent it at some point in time though[/QUOTE]

The bobblehead is selling on Ebay for roughly 20-35 bucks plus shipping. I honestly really like the CE of this. The Bobblehead is pretty sweet.

i didn't know until i played the game that you can pick up bobbleheads and lunchboxes...nice little touch there ;)

ps - tranquility lane = coolest quest imo. wish there were more like that.

[quote name='Toaster Driver']i didn't know until i played the game that you can pick up bobbleheads and lunchboxes...nice little touch there ;)

ps - tranquility lane = coolest quest imo. wish there were more like that.[/quote]
Agreed. And yes I laughed the first time I saw the lunchboxes.

[quote name='Mojimbo']I did the math and I don't need to spend any more of my perks on skill points boosts so I'm gonna use that one perk to boost my luck stat by 2 and get that bobblehead so I can snag that Mysterious Stranger perk in a couple of levels. :eek:)

Is it effective?[/quote]Hell yeah it's effective, it's like having Dirty Harry watching your back - but he doesn't show up too often. I'd say about 1 in every 15 times I go into V.A.T.S. the Mysterious Stranger shows up (but I go into it a lot).

While I enjoy the game, I hate the arbitrary ass skill requirements for the hacking and lockpicking. Why should I have to have 100 skill points to pick a lock/hack a computer when the fucking sequence is the SAME? They should've just made the lock picking harder at lower levels and gradually get easier. Same for the hacking.

Also, the repair system is whack. I hate equipment degradation.

the degradation sucks, but i mean it does add to your strategy...i like when i'm running from like a deathclaw and my gun jams cuz the condition is like a tiny sliver of a bar...that's a great feeling. luckily i have a "friend" with me ;)

i'm talking about fawkes or whatever his name is...best mini-gun toting friend evar!!! lol

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']About Tranquility Lane
[/quote]

If you want the combination...

radio, pitcher, gnome, pitcher, block, gnome, bottle

Last night, I left the game at Level 11. I'm doing the Moira book side-quest right now (final chapter) because I don't want it to end. :oops:

Oh, and the animal friend perk is so very helpful. It's nice when animals help kill off bounty hunters. :mrgreen:

[quote name='darthbudge']
In the abandoned house there is a few items you can interact with. When you use them they make a tone, whenever you go out of order you hear like a buzzing sound. Keep trying out different combos with them, starting over if you ever get them wrong, and then a console will uncloak.
[/QUOTE]The thing I found weird about that quest is that
don't you end up killing everybody anyways?

In my game, Moria is out of caps, is the only way to get her caps back to buy stuff from her, or do they replenish over time?

[quote name='Mojimbo']The thing I found weird about that quest is that
don't you end up killing everybody anyways?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think you do. In fact, when I read the de-bug part of the console I was at first worried to do it and thought it would be the evil way to end the quest.

[quote name='Chase']

Oh, and the animal friend perk is so very helpful. It's nice when animals help kill off bounty hunters. :mrgreen:[/quote]
The animal friend perk is pretty nice. It's helpfull for when you travelling between towns or in unknown areas as you don't ahve to worry about some crazy warewolf type thing jumping you from behind. I just got this perks and when I went into a building there were 5 mole rats, none attacked and I was lik e"what the" then relized why. I then proceed to blow their heads off for some easy point blank XP but if I didn't have the perk they would have been a bitch!

I went through the first two hours of this game trying to be a good Samaritan, trying to have great karma...but once I got to the first town (I don't wanna spoil anything), I stole a glass of milk, the residents starting attacking me, and I ended up slaughtering everyone.

Since then, I started to slide down the slippery slope that is "becoming evil.". I klled so many damn people that I fear I have removed dozens of awesome missions from the game.

Oh well, Moriarty was a bastard anyways!!!!!

[quote name='knightsdwn']Deathclaws = scary mother fuckers.

I'm going to hate going into their sanctuary to pick up that bobble head.[/quote]

The bobble is
in the very first room

They aren't so bad if you max out your small arms. Can usually take them out in 1 V.A.T.S. with a combat shotgun, sometimes it may take an extra hit so I'll try and get one or two in before I jump into V.A.T.S.

[quote name='Draekon']The bobble is
in the very first room
[/quote]

Phew. Thanks for the good news.

I just hate how the Deathclaws 2 or 3 shot Dogmeat. I'll just be wandering around and hear him barking then bam, the bastard decapitates my poor dog :cry:. I've had to reload my game a dozen or so times because of that.

[quote name='Simon D I']I went through the first two hours of this game trying to be a good Samaritan, trying to have great karma...but once I got to the first town (I don't wanna spoil anything), I stole a glass of milk, the residents starting attacking me, and I ended up slaughtering everyone.

Since then, I started to slide down the slippery slope that is "becoming evil.". I klled so many damn people that I fear I have removed dozens of awesome missions from the game.

Oh well, Moriarty was a bastard anyways!!!!![/QUOTE]
There you go, don't go around stealing other people's milk...

Awesome game. It's almost everything I've ever wanted out of a post-apocalyptic game.

Crazy situation
Somehow, my last save had me exiting a bunker near the Washington Monument and being surrounded by several minigun-wielding super mutants. Running low on energy, ammo, and first aid I attempt to retreat to the bunker I had just exited only to find myself gunned down by a couple of mini gun mutants. Needless to say, I was stuck between a rock and... well, 4 super mutants wielding incredible amounts of firepower. I couldn't run, I couldn't fight back, and my last save was over four hours ago. I was screwed.
Lacking the firepower to fight back, and being too weak to make a succesful escape, I decide to use my cunning. I entered the bunker and quickly hid in the shadows ( I was discovered in my first few attemts). From the darkness I observed the mutants as they patrolled the bunker. After observing them for a while, it became clear that a few strategically placed frag mines might injure the muties enough to balance the playing field. Long story short, one by one, mutie by mutie I fought my way out of the bunker and through the mutant infested trenches.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']

Crazy situation
Somehow, my last save had me exiting a bunker near the Washington Monument and being surrounded by several minigun-wielding super mutants. Running low on energy, ammo, and first aid I attempt to retreat to the bunker I had just exited only to find myself gunned down by a couple of mini gun mutants. Needless to say, I was stuck between a rock and... well, 4 super mutants wielding incredible amounts of firepower. I couldn't run, I couldn't fight back, and my last save was over four hours ago. I was screwed.
Lacking the firepower to fight back, and being too weak to make a succesful escape, I decide to use my cunning. I entered the bunker and quickly hid in the shadows ( I was discovered in my first few attemts). From the darkness I observed the mutants as they patrolled the bunker. After observing them for a while, it became clear that a few strategically placed frag mines might injure the muties enough to balance the playing field. Long story short, one by one, mutie by mutie I fought my way out of the bunker and through the mutant infested trenches.
[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Good Stuff :applause:

The Mines are really useful in certain situations.

Never thought to use them against Super Mutants for some reason, I'll have to try that because I have a ridiculous amount of mines from defusing a ton of them from Metro tunnels.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Phew. Thanks for the good news.

I just hate how the Deathclaws 2 or 3 shot Dogmeat. I'll just be wandering around and hear him barking then bam, the bastard decapitates my poor dog :cry:. I've had to reload my game a dozen or so times because of that.[/quote]

Dogmeat dieing may be realistic, but honestly...

Is anyone out there going to be playing have him die and then not reload?

What they should have done was make is so there were multiple places where dogs will spawn. Only one dog in the whole game that befriends you is wack.

bread's done
Back