Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread

[quote name='evildeadjedi']True but Samuel might keep in check most of the game. I picked up Britt off waivers but also could get A Bryant.[/QUOTE]

they have a tough matchup, but you know they will be throwing. id endorse all 3 of them if they are going to be your 3rd WR/flex.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']cribbs isnt a bad choice if you get points for kick/punt returns, and he is a safer play compared to williams or collie.

edit: for sure collie and williams have the greater chance of blowing up for 10 point plus day, but with cribbs you know that youre going to get a solid 7 or 8 points.[/QUOTE]

and if he doesn't get points for KR/PR then Cribbs is far from the safe choice but I'd rather have him over Roy for sure.

I don't think you can do any better than Cribbs, Welker, and Bryant. I don't see how you can not start Bryant against the second worst secondary in the NFL in Fantasy football I think they give up like 25-26 ppg to WRs. Cribbs is going to be expiermented with at the tailback position this week and "should" get tailback numbers for you.

Cribbs, Welker, and Bryant are three top choices I think.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']True but Samuel might keep in check most of the game. I picked up Britt off waivers but also could get A Bryant.[/QUOTE]

V. young is doubtful so I'd stay away from any TENN WR.. Chris Johnson all day.

[quote name='Marcoaurelius']V. young is doubtful so I'd stay away from any TENN WR.. Chris Johnson all day.[/QUOTE]

kerry collins will have some motivation to play very well... whether or not that happens is another thing.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']kerry collins will have some motivation to play very well... whether or not that happens is another thing.[/QUOTE]

motivation doesn't equal production.. Collins is terrible.

I'm perplexed with who i should put in my second rb spot for this week.

Pierre Thomas vs. Dallas
Darren Sproles vs. Cincinnati
Jason Snelling @Jets
Laurence Maroney @ Buffalo

id go with thomas if mike bell is still hurt.

sproles is splitting time with LT (and not getting goal line touches) and cincy has a decent defense.

coin flip between maroney and snelling as well. buffalo doesnt have a great run D, but the pats backfield is a guessing game. snelling has been playing great, but who knows which Jets D will show up.

[quote name='onetrackmind']I'm perplexed with who i should put in my second rb spot for this week.

Pierre Thomas vs. Dallas
Darren Sproles vs. Cincinnati
Jason Snelling @Jets
Laurence Maroney @ Buffalo[/QUOTE]

tough one... but if I had to rank them it would be....

Snelling
Thomas
Maroney
Sproles.

With Norwood back Snelling is sharing duties but he is the go-to guy at the goalline. Also, the Jets aren't as good against the run as they are against the pass.

Even though I ranked Pierre #2, I would still try to avoid that New Orleans backfield for this week. Reggie's back and so is Mike Bell and you never know who's going to get the most carries week to week. Bell is also usually the go-to guy at the goaline

[quote name='Marcoaurelius']tough one... but if I had to rank them it would be....

Snelling
Thomas
Maroney
Sproles.

With Norwood back Snelling is sharing duties but he is the go-to guy at the goalline. Also, the Jets aren't as good against the run as they are against the pass.

Even though I ranked Pierre #2, I would still try to avoid that New Orleans backfield for this week. Reggie's back and so is Mike Bell and you never know who's going to get the most carries week to week. Bell is also usually the go-to guy at the goaline[/QUOTE]

Yeah you both have made really good points, pretty much everyone of the available guys i have are in a time share. Thomas seems like the logical choice but with Bush & Bell back he might not get anything at all. Sproles is was too risky right now. Snelling i just dont know, the dude has fucked me over in the past when they played tampa bay.

Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and grabbed Cribbs, although I just found out that he's limited in practice. I guess I'll wait for the injury report for the final decision. It's too late for me to start Collie now anyway.

[quote name='onetrackmind']Yeah you both have made really good points, pretty much everyone of the available guys i have are in a time share. Thomas seems like the logical choice but with Bush & Bell back he might not get anything at all. Sproles is was too risky right now. Snelling i just dont know, the dude has fucked me over in the past when they played tampa bay.[/QUOTE]

I would go with Maroney. Yes, the Pats have a bunch of RBs, but it's Buffalo, I'll take him over the others even if he may not get that much carries. They are bound to rush more since the Bills pass defense is decent and Brady is banged up.

So with all my backs hitting IR (Ronnie Brown, Kevin Smith...) I'm left with Ricky Williams as my #1 RB. Who do I start as my #2?

Tim "high and tight doesn't work either" Hightower, or my newly picked up Chris Jennings from the Browns. AZ has the Lions this week, but Beanie Wells just keeps eating away into Hightower's time with each fumble. What's the verdict?

Also, I'm debating between Jason Avant and Mario Manningham for my WR3.

[quote name='Over easy']Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and grabbed Cribbs, although I just found out that he's limited in practice. I guess I'll wait for the injury report for the final decision. It's too late for me to start Collie now anyway.
[/QUOTE]

dont feel too bad about not starting collie. he got a TD, but he only had 27 yards. thats only 8.7 points in my league. no reason to think cribbs or another WR couldnt get that much.

i am happy to see clark have another multi-TD game. last week he really helped me get into the playoffs, and this week he has me off to a great start. 95 yards and 2 td. snagged me 21.5 points, fantastic for a TE. but 5 yards shy of our 100 yard bonus.

Clark was impressive 21 points for a TE is great. :)

My opponent had Wayne and Addai and had 25 points combined so he is leading by 4 but I like my chances.

I haven't been able to spend much time on CAG lately because I work for the USPS and December means crazy overtime there, but I'm glad to see this thread is still going strong.

I'm off to a nice start in my playoff game this week thanks to MJD giving me 28.5 points last night. Now I have a couple decisions to make. At WR, I'm starting Miles Austin, but have to decide between Robert Meachem (who I just got off the waiver wire), Chad Ochocinco, Steve Smith (CAR) or Chris Chambers for my WR2. I guess it's really between Meachem and Ochocinco. How do you guys think the Bengals will respond to Chris Henry's death this week- play inspired or come out flat? I tend to think they'll be flat.

I also picked up Garrett Hartley to try and give myself a better option at K than Robbie Gould, but now Hartley's been limited in practice with a hip problem, plus he missed an XP last week and Carney is still there, too. Do I ignore all that and just roll with Hartley? He's gotta be a better option than Gould if he plays, but I hate to risk a goose-egg, even at K.

id start ochocinco. they have a lot of motivation this week. i like meachem (i have him too), but hes a very hit or miss guy 15 points or 5 points, ya know. he was hot up until last week. so, ocho for the safe play, meachem if you want to gamble.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']dont feel too bad about not starting collie. he got a TD, but he only had 27 yards. thats only 8.7 points in my league. no reason to think cribbs or another WR couldnt get that much.

i am happy to see clark have another multi-TD game. last week he really helped me get into the playoffs, and this week he has me off to a great start. 95 yards and 2 td. snagged me 21.5 points, fantastic for a TE. but 5 yards shy of our 100 yard bonus.[/QUOTE]

I'm feeling too bad about this. There was really no reason for me to think that Collie will do better than Williams or Cribbs at the end of the day. If I bench a stud instead and I lose (like benching Manning for Jason Campbell), THEN I will feel bad (and stupid of course). Addai on the other hand, that was frustrating.

I would start Chad as well. Saints spread the ball around too much, and it's hard to determine who will get a TD from Brees any week. I do expect the game to be high scoring though. Like Ramstoria said, it depends on whether you feel like gambling or not.

[quote name='Kilraven']
Nicks versus Washington. The Vikes will shutdown the pass, and I don't think Campbell is consistent enough to trust Moss.

Truthfully, I'd snag Ganther. I like Forsett; however, until Mora gets his head out of his ass and realizes JJ isn't cutting it, Forsett is only worth the receiving yards. Jennings, while tempting after last week, is a high risk/high reward. You still have to consider Harrison as a spoiler. Ganther, out of all of them, is all his team seems to have.[/QUOTE]

I picked up Ganther and have him in my line up. Looks like Forsett/Jones are going to be splitting touches this week and who knows what's going to happen in Cleveland. I've been using Tomlinson as my #2 RB but it seems like 50 yards and a TD is the most that I can expect from him.

I had a nice start to my playoffs with MJD and Clark combining for 47 pts.

[quote name='kube00']DEF do I use NYJ (they are playing ATL)
or do I use Houston

TE
Greg Olsen or Fred Davis[/QUOTE]

I would go Houston on the D since they're playing the Rams and definitely Davis over Olsen. Olsen has done NOTHING for about 5 straight weeks (I lost Owen Daniels early in the season. Olsen had one big week where he scored 3 TD's but has scored a TOTAL of around 10 pts since).

[quote name='kube00']DEF do I use NYJ (they are playing ATL)
or do I use Houston

TE
Greg Olsen or Fred Davis[/QUOTE]I agree with Chitown021, go with Houston and Davis. Houston's D would be a nice start this week anyway, just because it's the Rams, but it's even better since half the Rams team had the flu this week, including SJax. Between that and his back, even if he does play he might not be his usual self. Plus I think Null is starting at QB for them again. It could be ugly.

By the way, thanks guys for talking me out of starting Robert Meachem. I was leaning pretty hard towards him over Ocho, but decided to go with the advice I got here. He didn't do much, so hopefully Chad makes it an even better decision tomorrow.

[quote name='kube00']An RB question

Do I use Rashard Mendenhall and Ricky Williams or swap out one of them for Jamall charles?[/QUOTE]Sorry, I haven't been to this thread or on CAG at all today really until just now. Who did you end up going with? If I had seen your question before the games started today, I probably would have suggested benching Mendenhall simply based on each guys matchups for the week. (For whatever that's worth now :roll: )

Made the finals as well.

Playing AGAINST this next week:

QB - Drew Brees
RB - Adrian Peterson
WR - Andre Johnson
Flex 1 - Maurice Jones-Drew
Flex 2 - Steven Jackson
Flex 3 - Brandon Marshall
TE - Jason Witten
K - Mason Crosby
DL - Jared Allen
LB - Clint Sessions
DB - Jordan Babineaux

My squad as follows:

QB - Matt Schaub
RB - Cedric Benson
WR - Randy Moss
Flex 1 - Reggie Wayne
Flex 2 - DeSean Jackson
Flex 3 - Brandon Jacobs (or Marion Barber / Maurice Morris)
TE - Kevin Boss
K - Lawrence Tynes
DL - Darnell Dockett
LB - James Laurinaitis (or Jonathan Vilma / Curtis Lofton)
DB - Brian Dawkins (or Darrell Revis)

I'm doomed.

well, im going to need a miracle to make the championship. i had subpar days from several players, and left a couple of big scores on the bench.

right now im down by 3 and my opponent has steve smith and i have justin tuck. so its possible that i win, but im going to need a HUGE game from tuck.

I was 4th and last in the playoffs, even through Brees had a crummy game, DeSean Jackson, Miles Austin, Greg Jennings, and Jamaal Charles delivered. Still got my kicker and TE to play tonight. I'm up 118 to his 110 and he's got no one left

[quote name='kube00']I was 4th and last in the playoffs, even through Brees had a crummy game, DeSean Jackson, Miles Austin, Greg Jennings, and Jamaal Charles delivered. Still got my kicker and TE to play tonight. I'm up 118 to his 110 and he's got no one left[/QUOTE]

if your league has negative points id just bench those 2. its a LONG LONG (even longer than me coming back to win ;) )shot that theyd get -8 points, but why risk it if youre a lock in the championship already.

I'm in the championship in one league, and picked the wrong Browns RB in the other for a loss. Still not bad seeing as I wasn't expected to survive the opening rounds in either.

So...

Pick 5 total players to start.

Cedric Benson / Brandon Jacobs / Marion Barber / Maurice Morris
Randy Moss / Reggie Wayne / DeSean Jackson

I think I'm going with Moss/Wayne/Jackson/Benson/Morris unless someone can give me a reason not to.

Yup, that's the same 5 I'd use, too.

My Super Bowl lineup decisions:

Minnesota DST (at Chicago) or Arizona DST (vs. St. Louis)

Which 2?: MJD, Cedric Benson, Jonathan Stewart. I've gone with MJD and Benson almost every week, and I like their matchups this week, but I'm still waiting to hear DeAngelo Williams status for this week. If he's out, it'd be tough to sit Stewart.

Which one to start with Miles Austin?: Chad Ochocinco or Steve Smith (CAR)? Ochocinco goes against KC, but in the 3 weeks since Delhomme has been out and Matt Moore in at QB for Carolina, Smith has 14 catches for 318 yards and 2 TDs.

[quote name='Danimal']Yup, that's the same 5 I'd use, too.

My Super Bowl lineup decisions:

Minnesota DST (at Chicago) or Arizona DST (vs. St. Louis)

Which 2?: MJD, Cedric Benson, Jonathan Stewart. I've gone with MJD and Benson almost every week, and I like their matchups this week, but I'm still waiting to hear DeAngelo Williams status for this week. If he's out, it'd be tough to sit Stewart.

Which one to start with Miles Austin?: Chad Ochocinco or Steve Smith (CAR)? Ochocinco goes against KC, but in the 3 weeks since Delhomme has been out and Matt Moore in at QB for Carolina, Smith has 14 catches for 318 yards and 2 TDs.[/QUOTE]

Minnesota DST easily. Arizona's D is pretty MEH, and if Cutler isn't busy getting sacked by the Vikings SICK D-Line, he'll be throwing picks.

MJD/Benson but like you said, if D-Will won't play, start Stewart over Benson. Besides, Cincy was talking about playing Larry Johnson some since they are playing against KC.

Go with the hot hand if Delhomme is out. Steve Smith. Otherwise, Ocho Cinco.

I'd lean towards Card's D. Not that Minny isn't bad against an interception-throwing Cutler, but STL has lost more receivers than everyone else combined, two QBs, and an injury-prone back that hasn't gotten hurt this season. That's a recipe for disaster if I've ever seen one.

Now, let's talk risk versus reward for a second. This is week 16 in the NFL and the playoff picture is clearing up. Home-field advantage is already decided, as well as division titles in a few cases. Many studs are not going to play more than a half, because no one wants to lose a star to scrub time and vendettas.

Benson and Ocho are a risk. Both will probably be on the bench if Cincy is routing KC by halftime. No point risking starters for the final game and a half if you've clinched the division.

MJD is a high reward at some risk. Jax has to win to get any shot a the playoffs; however, NE has to win, too, and may kick it in gear to clinch the division and rest Brady and company.

Stewart/DWill and Smith-South are some high rewards, too. Carolina is out of the playoff hunt and get to play the roll of dic...err...spoilers. If someone gets hurt, F it, they've got all year to get healthy then. Not to mention the whole Moore play, he's done very well and should continue the next two games.

So, I'd play:

Austin and Smith-South
MJD and Stewart (regardless of DWill's status)
Arizona D

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Romo@WAS, or Favre@CHI?

Hines Ward or Mendenhall vs BAL?[/QUOTE]Romo and Ward. I have Favre on my team and I've gotten nervous about using him the last few weeks because he looks like he's fading at the end just like he did last year.

Ward over Mendenhall because the Steelers are becoming more and more of a pass-heavy team as the weeks go by. I don't think Baltimore is the team their running game returns to glory against.

I'm STILL torn over which RB to sit between MJD, Benson, and Stewart. DeAngelo is out, so Stewart will carry the load against the NYG. Benson could split carries and come out if Cincy gets up big, but KC can't stop the run at all. I kind of think of MJD as an automatic start, but this week it's tough to sit any of those guys.

Also, Ochocinco vs. Steve Smith is killing me. Smith has been coming on strong the last 2 weeks with Moore at QB, but this is Ochocinco's first home game since Henry died. I hate trying to bank on guy's emotions taking them to big games, though.

I've got the Vikings D starting now, with visions of Cutler throwing 4 or 5 picks, but I'm tempted to switch them out for the Cardinals going up against banged up, pathetic St. Louis.

This week has that feel of "No matter who I start, I'm going to screw it up somehow and cost myself the championship game".

Here we go

RB question
I was going to use Ricky Williams for sure.
I also have Jerome Harrison, Jamaal Charles, and Pierre Thomas, I was leaning toward Charles

I think I'd lean toward Harrison out of those 3. After his monster game last week, I think the Browns will want to give him a lot of carries and see if he can follow it up. They're all about next year at this point, so they want to know if they have a RB to stick with.

bread's done
Back