Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread

Keeper league...as in you keep your team for next season?
Then I'd do it. Only because if Favre leaves, as a die hard Vikings fan, I recognize were pretty screwed. Then again, Harvin should still have great numbers....

But Reggie Wayne is a monster. You've got to take him.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']do you play a guy in playoff contention, because playing spoiler can be fun too.

im not worried about the top seed in our league. in the last 4 years hes been the top seed 3 times. the other time he was the 2nd seed. but hes never made it past the first round of the playoffs and his best finish is 3rd place, which hes only done once.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately no. Last week the regular season ended. We're now in the playoffs and I'm in the losers bracket. I hear what you're saying though about not worrying about your seeding. My best playoff run was last year when I barely made the playoffs with a losing record. I made a run all the way to the superbowl and lost by one point.

Alright, so now I am considering shopping Reggie Wayne around for a younger stud WR. I was thinking about trying to go 1-for-1 Wayne for Fitzgerald, but I realize if Warner retires, Fitz's numbers will take a downgrade. Why, you ask? 'Cause Matt Leinart sucks.

Also in this league we keep up to 6 players on our current roster to bring into next season. It's a flexible keeper system and if you keep 6 players, then you forfeit your first 6 draft picks. If you keep 3 players then you start drafting in round 4... etc. Awesome system, and I'm shocked more sites don't attempt providing a service like this.

My current keeper list looks like this:

QB - Matt Schaub
RB - Cedric Benson / Brandon Jacobs / Marion Barber III (unless I can trade him away, I don't see him hanging around top tiers any longer the way he's been playing)
WR - Randy Moss / Reggie Wayne / DeSean Jackson

Also have: RB Brian Westbrook, but obviously his career as a stud fantasy back seems pretty much over.

[quote name='Marcoaurelius']I won't touch Wayne... I'd look to deal Moss for a sick package I think New England's best years are behind them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, so do I .. I think Moss has maybe one good year left in him before his value takes a nose dive (like Marvin Harrison's/Torry Holt's .. yeesh!)

I hate to say it, but your RB keepers suck - your WR are gold, though. 2 of them with replacements breathing down their necks, and 1 that I just don't see repeating his magic stats from this season.

I'd sell Moss and Benson for as high as I can; hoping to snag a Moreno, McCoy, or Forsett for next year. while getting a receiver that may not be as explosive, but damn near guaranteed to get the receptions (think Welker or Ward).

[quote name='Kilraven']I hate to say it, but your RB keepers suck - your WR are gold, though. 2 of them with replacements breathing down their necks, and 1 that I just don't see repeating his magic stats from this season.

I'd sell Moss and Benson for as high as I can; hoping to snag a Moreno, McCoy, or Forsett for next year. while getting a receiver that may not be as explosive, but damn near guaranteed to get the receptions (think Welker or Ward).[/QUOTE]

Yeah my thoughts exactly. I'm in talks right now to improve that. lol

well, in my must win final regular season win pittsburgh decided to suck against cleveland... jeff reed got me a whopping 7 points and james harrison 2.

Should I start Rock Cartwright (splitting time with Ganther) against the weak Raiders rush def or Derrick Ward (now that Cadillac is listed as questionable) against the Jets?

OK, here's my dilemma of the week: Jay Cutler (vs. Green Bay) or Chad Henne (vs. Jacksonville). It seems like Henne is showing some promise, and I don't really trust Cutler against the Packers. Neither one of them seems like a great option, but I'm slightly leaning toward Henne at this point.

[quote name='IvanHood']OK, here's my dilemma of the week: Jay Cutler (vs. Green Bay) or Chad Henne (vs. Jacksonville). It seems like Henne is showing some promise, and I don't really trust Cutler against the Packers. Neither one of them seems like a great option, but I'm slightly leaning toward Henne at this point.[/QUOTE]

Henne.

[quote name='TheRock88']Should I start Rock Cartwright (splitting time with Ganther) against the weak Raiders rush def or Derrick Ward (now that Cadillac is listed as questionable) against the Jets?[/QUOTE]

Ward sucks. So does Cartwright. It's a question much like "which turd should I flush first?" .. go with Rock Cartwright. And this is from a Bucs fan.

[quote name='Mike23']Sims-Walker is out.

Davone Bess or Steve Smith-South?[/QUOTE]

Smith. New England's pass defense has been horrible lately, as evidenced by Henne's 300+ yard game against them last week.

[quote name='TheRock88']Should I start Rock Cartwright (splitting time with Ganther) against the weak Raiders rush def or Derrick Ward (now that Cadillac is listed as questionable) against the Jets?[/QUOTE]

Ward hasn't shown any reason to play him all season, so I'd play Rock well over him.

[quote name='IvanHood']OK, here's my dilemma of the week: Jay Cutler (vs. Green Bay) or Chad Henne (vs. Jacksonville). It seems like Henne is showing some promise, and I don't really trust Cutler against the Packers. Neither one of them seems like a great option, but I'm slightly leaning toward Henne at this point.[/QUOTE]

Henne, with Cutler down a receiver he's going to choke even more.

[quote name='Mike23']Sims-Walker is out.

Davone Bess or Steve Smith-South?[/QUOTE]

Bess, he's been putting up good number the past few weeks. That, and Carolina is more likely to just run-run-run.

So I've got a playoff spot and seed locked up--ours start next week, so this is a garbage week for me--but I'm nervous about my QB (start 1) and WR (start 2, no flex) situation. I've got Brees/Schaub as my QB's (and picked up A. Smith off waivers) and Megatron/Miles Austin/D-Jax/MSW/Garcon as my WR's (couldn't trade anyone for the life of me this year, I drafted Megatron, the rest were all waiver pickups).

Might ditch Garcon for Crabtree or Cribbs (CLE) but I don't feel great heading into the postseason with how feast or famine my receiving corp seems to be, and then there's the matter of Brees starting to get limited game time. Any thoughts on sleepers worth a look?

[quote name='kube00']RB

Do I start Ricky Williams over Pierrre Thomas?

DEF
NYJ or Ten?

TE
Olsen or Kevin Boss?[/QUOTE]

The Jets' D is tempting; however, believe it or not, I'm recommending TB as the sleeper D this week. I'd also suggest KC and Buffalo D's as nice plays.

Boss, Cutler is will more than likely choke the big one.

Ricky or Pierre? Damn tough, but I'd like to think NO will run more to protect Brees for the playoffs. While the fish are expected to go in running, and the D will prepare for that. So PT.

[quote name='Kilraven']
Bess, he's been putting up good number the past few weeks. That, and Carolina is more likely to just run-run-run.[/QUOTE]

So you think Carolina will be close or leading most of the game? If they're down by 14 I think they'll be doing a lot more passing versus running in order to catch up, and the current line is New England by 13.

In a PPR league Bess is definitely a good play though I still would go with Smith given the choice.

I don't think the Panthers will be close at all, and I just don't see how they can do anything but run. They've shown absolutely no passing game this season and they have two stud backs (one more studlier than the other). Not only that, to beat the Pats (much like NO and Indy) you've got to eat up the clock.

Flacco against Detroit's dead last ranked pass D or McNabb against the giants (Their pass D has been getting lit up lately and DeSean Jackson is in back in the lineup)?

Also, Roy Williams or Housh at 3rd receiver?

housh hasnt been around all year. williams has had two good weeks in a row. id go with williams.

im starting flacco this week. but if you have mcnabb, id go with him.

i just changed my flex player like 5 times in the last 5 minutes. today is going to be stressful.

so, i kept changing my flex player... i ended up choosing brandon marshall. yeah, that worked out great. i scored my highest total of the year and with my win this week i am playoff bound!

Could a first round playoff exit be more frustrating? I lost by 1 stinking point. I can thank that Akers blocked XP & the otherwise meaningless Romo TD. :bomb::bomb::bomb:

[quote name='klwillis45']Could a first round playoff exit be more frustrating? I lost by 1 stinking point. I can thank that Akers blocked XP & the otherwise meaningless Romo TD. :bomb::bomb::bomb:[/QUOTE]

I've lost the league championship by one point .. and in another league I've won it by one point. I know how it feels to be on both sides, and the losing by one point side absolutely sucks the most. lol

My hopes of remaining in the playoffs are riding on tonight's game. I'm down by 27 points with Anquan Boldin, Vernon Davis, and Tim Hightower left to play. Pretty scary, but I think those three can pull off 27 points.

[quote name='IvanHood']My hopes of remaining in the playoffs are riding on tonight's game. I'm down by 27 points with Anquan Boldin, Vernon Davis, and Tim Hightower left to play. Pretty scary, but I think those three can pull off 27 points.[/QUOTE]

does your opponent have anyone playing? with those 3 id say youre virtually in.

THANK YOU FOR DESTROYING ME AARON RODGERS...
If Warner puts up less than 9 points I win. Oh well.

At least Jamal Charles and Omar Ganther had fantastic days.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']does your opponent have anyone playing? with those 3 id say youre virtually in.[/QUOTE]

Nope, he doesn't have anyone left. I would be pretty surprised if the three of them can't come up with 27 points (especially with the way Boldin and Davis have been playing), but you never know.

Edit: Well, never mind that. Davis was all right (9 points), but Boldin had 4 and Hightower had 1. Damn you, Cardinals!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IvanHood']Nope, he doesn't have anyone left. I would be pretty surprised if the three of them can't come up with 27 points (especially with the way Boldin and Davis have been playing), but you never know.

Edit: Well, never mind that. Davis was all right (9 points), but Boldin had 4 and Hightower had 1. Damn you, Cardinals![/QUOTE]

man im glad my niners won... but i was expecting a lot more from the cardinals. boldin only got 4 points for me too (i was hoping to break 200 this week). but my opponent got negative points from warner, so that worked out.

Can't believe how inconsistent the Cards have been all season but I was glad that fitz didn't go nuts since I was leading by 30 going into last night. Well this week is ok but I'm once again wondering which WR's to start Holmes & Ward vs GB, Smith vs Wash, Austin vs NO. I'm leaning towards Ward, Smith and Austin but I might pickup Britt vs Miami off waivers.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Can't believe how inconsistent the Cards have been all season but I was glad that fitz didn't go nuts since I was leading by 30 going into last night. Well this week is ok but I'm once again wondering which WR's to start Holmes & Ward vs GB, Smith vs Wash, Austin vs NO. I'm leaning towards Ward, Smith and Austin but I might pickup Britt vs Miami off waivers.[/QUOTE]

ward is coming off a mild injury and pitt has been playing like crap lately, id pass. id go with smith and austin. the cowboys are going to have to throw against NO, and austin is the best guy they got. smith has been inconsistant this year, but at this point in the season id take him over ward. i dont think id trust a waiver grab like britt in the playoffs.

If Young gets back to full speed (or atleast can play) then I'd snag Britt and play him - that's a big if.

I wouldn't chance a dinging up ward and Mr. Butterfingers Holmes against the Pack's secondary. I'm also hesitant against playing any Giants receivers against Washington's D - I just think they're going to swarm all over Eli.

Right now I'd play Austin, Smith, and Britt. However, if Collie, Camarillo, or Cribbs are on your WW, those are some viable options.

[quote name='Kilraven']If Young gets back to full speed (or atleast can play) then I'd snag Britt and play him - that's a big if.

I wouldn't chance a dinging up ward and Mr. Butterfingers Holmes against the Pack's secondary. I'm also hesitant against playing any Giants receivers against Washington's D - I just think they're going to swarm all over Eli.

Right now I'd play Austin, Smith, and Britt. However, if Collie, Camarillo, or Cribbs are on your WW, those are some viable options.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, none are available on my ww only Britt and Massiquo(cleveland). I also have Crabtree still (I think).

So I'm starting to wonder how much value Marion Barber has left in him. Apparently not very much, because I couldn't trade Marion Barber/Randy Moss for Ryan Grant/Larry Fitzgerald to a Cowboys fan.

I got another offer though, a 6th round pick and an 11th round pick in next year's draft for Marion Barber III. Highly considering it if his value is that crappy now.

Who should I start this week? I have one spot open for RB and WR:

S. Moss vs NY Giants
S. Smith vs Minnesota
Nicks vs Washington

----------

Tomlinson vs Cincinnati
Forsett vs Tampa Bay
C. Jennings vs KC

(Ganther is available on the WW but doesn't have great matchups)

[quote name='HydroX']So I'm starting to wonder how much value Marion Barber has left in him. Apparently not very much, because I couldn't trade Marion Barber/Randy Moss for Ryan Grant/Larry Fitzgerald to a Cowboys fan.

I got another offer though, a 6th round pick and an 11th round pick in next year's draft for Marion Barber III. Highly considering it if his value is that crappy now.[/QUOTE]

yeah, MBIII has really fallen down. 6 and 11 seems a little low, id counter with a maybe a 5 and 10 or 4 and 11. even though barbers value is dipping he still will likely go in the first 4 or 5 rounds.

[quote name='emg28']Who should I start this week? I have one spot open for RB and WR:

S. Moss vs NY Giants
S. Smith vs Minnesota
Nicks vs Washington

----------

Tomlinson vs Cincinnati
Forsett vs Tampa Bay
C. Jennings vs KC

(Ganther is available on the WW but doesn't have great matchups)[/QUOTE]

forsett vs tampa bay

for the WR, close your eyes and point to one and start that one.

[quote name='HydroX']So I'm starting to wonder how much value Marion Barber has left in him. Apparently not very much, because I couldn't trade Marion Barber/Randy Moss for Ryan Grant/Larry Fitzgerald to a Cowboys fan.

I got another offer though, a 6th round pick and an 11th round pick in next year's draft for Marion Barber III. Highly considering it if his value is that crappy now.[/QUOTE]

That's because Grant and Fitz are far more valuable than Barber/Moss. It's not that Barber sucks or is past his prime, it's that the 'boys are not consistant (no clue on what the gameplan is week-by-week) and Jones has a hard-on for Felix. Not that Felix sucks, he's just an injury waiting to happen whenever he plays. Nonetheless, I'd eat up that 6th round pick for Barber. Damn nice.

[quote name='emg28']Who should I start this week? I have one spot open for RB and WR:

S. Moss vs NY Giants
S. Smith vs Minnesota
Nicks vs Washington

----------

Tomlinson vs Cincinnati
Forsett vs Tampa Bay
C. Jennings vs KC

(Ganther is available on the WW but doesn't have great matchups)[/QUOTE]

Nicks versus Washington. The Vikes will shutdown the pass, and I don't think Campbell is consistent enough to trust Moss.

Truthfully, I'd snag Ganther. I like Forsett; however, until Mora gets his head out of his ass and realizes JJ isn't cutting it, Forsett is only worth the receiving yards. Jennings, while tempting after last week, is a high risk/high reward. You still have to consider Harrison as a spoiler. Ganther, out of all of them, is all his team seems to have.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Should I sit Peyton Manning and pick up another QB for this week? I'm not sure how much he'll play tomorrow night.[/QUOTE]

Depends on what your other options are, but I will probably start Peyton.

I have to start 3 WRs and I got 4 of them. Who should I bench? (Yes, it's not a pretty bunch, but they get the job done when needed)

Wes Welker (vs. Buffalo) - I think he's a lock to start.
Roy Williams (vs. NO) - NO's pass defense hasn't been good lately, and he's getting some TDs as of late.
Austin Collie (vs. Jac) - Jacksonville's D isn't good these days, and he does sit behind Wayne, Clark, and maybe even Garcon, but he did catch 2 TDs in the past 2 weeks.
Antonio Bryant (vs. Sea) - As crappy as Josh Freeman is, the Seahawk's pass defense isn't that good either.

For the moment, I'm leaning towards benching Collie. I might change my mind as the game gets closer.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Should I sit Peyton Manning and pick up another QB for this week? I'm not sure how much he'll play tomorrow night.[/QUOTE]

no, I think Indy learned it's lesson from season's past when they benched their starters at the end of the season and got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. You play him, that and Indy wants this game bad. you don't bench Manning.

[quote name='Over easy']

I have to start 3 WRs and I got 4 of them. Who should I bench? (Yes, it's not a pretty bunch, but they get the job done when needed)

Wes Welker (vs. Buffalo) - I think he's a lock to start.
Roy Williams (vs. NO) - NO's pass defense hasn't been good lately, and he's getting some TDs as of late.
Austin Collie (vs. Jac) - Jacksonville's D isn't good these days, and he does sit behind Wayne, Clark, and maybe even Garcon, but he did catch 2 TDs in the past 2 weeks.
Antonio Bryant (vs. Sea) - As crappy as Josh Freeman is, the Seahawk's pass defense isn't that good either.

For the moment, I'm leaning towards benching Collie. I might change my mind as the game gets closer.[/QUOTE]

Walker, Williams and Bryant is what I would go with. Don't be fooled by his 2 for 22 performance agianst the Jets. Revis was covering him and Revis has shut down every WR this season. Bryant is notorious for having big performances at the end of the season and like you mentioned Seattle has a bad pass defense.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']do you have any other WR options on the waiver wire. you have very hit or miss WR. maybe britt or crabtree?[/QUOTE]

I play in a rather competitive league, so the better WRs are snatched up quickly. Some of the possible pick ups are Cribbs, Jenkins, Avant, and Massaquoi.

cribbs isnt a bad choice if you get points for kick/punt returns, and he is a safer play compared to williams or collie.

edit: for sure collie and williams have the greater chance of blowing up for 10 point plus day, but with cribbs you know that youre going to get a solid 7 or 8 points.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RAMSTORIA']crabtree? why didnt you say so! he is a solid #3 WR/flex player.[/QUOTE]

True but Samuel might keep in check most of the game. I picked up Britt off waivers but also could get A Bryant.

bread's done
Back