Fighting Game Thread XLIV - GGPO & Leah Dizon... gamers on top!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone going to the sfc event tonight in L.A.? I'll probably go but was wondering if any of the fighting thread peeps will go. Will there be parking provided? If anyone has any info or would like to meet up hit me up via pm. c u there.

[quote name='Chacrana']I want to learn to play Tekken. Who's a good first character?[/QUOTE]

You're an asuka player right? Try Lili ( :lol: if ur an ass online with her, lag will be ur friend), Devil Jin, Ling, feng...

you a power player (my guess is no), pattern based, poke, etc....?

Well I play differently depending on what the game is, but in most games I poke. I tried playing as Feng a little bit, but so far he seems a little slower than I'd like. I don't go for like super hardcore speed characters, but someone quick and preferably with good reach would be good.

[quote name='Chacrana']Well I play differently depending on what the game is, but in most games I poke. I tried playing as Feng a little bit, but so far he seems a little slower than I'd like. I don't go for like super hardcore speed characters, but someone quick and preferably with good reach would be good.[/QUOTE]

try Ling, Julia, Bruce, Anna, Lee, or Baek. those guys might fit your profile possibly.

Chac....

If you want a good mix of range and speed, that would make me suggest Mishimas, but they are much more technical than any of the other characters in the game. A bit hard to play online too due to lag/etc. But they feel very rewarding to play as when you start to get a grasp of what their potential is. You can try Raven as well, he's like a watered down Mishima.

I'm comfortable with playing every character except maybe Hwoarang, so if you have any specific questions/matchup questions, feel free to ask.

[quote name='gunm']What tier is Law in for T6 again? Not that it matters for me as I'm a total scrub, but just curious.[/quote]

Law is top tier in Tekken 6. He is top 5 hands down.

---

Man I'm running late in heading up to LA for the SF IV thing... I better leave soon :x

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm thinking about picking up a PS triple stick so that I can get Maximum Accurate! out of my fighting games... since there's clearly an avalanche on the way. I'm not prepared to spend hella dollars unless I know it's worth upgrading from my Tekken stick right now. Basically, I like how weighty the Tekken stick is, but what I don't like as much is the feel of the buttons... they just don't feel quite as... solid as I'd like. like, I want buttons that, when you press them, you know you pressed them... like you get that tactile feedback.

Know what I'm sayin, or am I coming off like a high-as-fuck person who's lost his mind?

I would say try to stay away from the mishima's if you're starting out Chac, although you probably have a better grasp of the game than most so it could go either way.

I would say go with Anna or Julia, or Lili!!!!! But I don't think you would like Lili as much, it was just necessary for me to toss that out since she's my main (until Miguel!)

I didn't get to go to SF IV night after all. ;(

No one was able to babysit my daughter after I came home from work, oh well. I'll play it next week. ;)

----

I have a thread ready for CAG FIGHT CLUB... what do you guys think, this is what the OP would look like:

[quote name='CAG FIGHT CLUB THREAD']
2681773424_443391b71c_o.jpg

First rule about CAG FIGHT CLUB....

KEEP THE FIGHTING GAME SPIRIT STRONG!!!

Hello everyone. This will hopefully be the start of something beautiful and in the future we'd be able to look back on this thread and think... This is why we love FIGHTING GAMES.

This thread's purpose is to help organize CAG members that play online fighting games. Now you ask, why don't we post this in one of the existing FIGHTER GAME THREADS? Well, for one thing this is specifically for matchmaking and all aspects of online play, nothing more, nothing less. So, let's get ready, cuz I'm gonna take you for a ride!!!! *insert crappy music* ...

First up is...

GGPO (PC)

2680954341_e84b5cd503_o.gif
GGPO is a labor of love from some of the most brilliant net code engineers on the internet. They just happen to be some of the most hardcore/competitive fighters around and have continued to pave the way for the 'evolution' of the genre. GGPO offers the BEST ONLINE EXPERIENCE (latency/netcode) for fighting games. GGPO is an emulation tool that allows you to experience competitive gameplay without the annoying sacrifices that plague most online experiences.

Fighting games that are currently supported by GGPO are:

• Garou: Mark of the Wolves
  • King of Fighters 2002
  • King of Fighters '98
  • Marvel vs Capcom
  • Samurai Shodown 2
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
  • Super Street Fighter II: TURBO
  • Vampire Savior
  • X-Men vs Street Fighter

For more information on GGPO, please check the following links:

GGPO - ONLINE MATCHMAKING & PLAYER'S LIST

CAG NAME [GGPO NAME] - TIME ZONE - GAMES PLAYED

• MarkMan [MarkMan] || PST || ST, 3S, A2, A3

----------------------------------

SOULCALIBUR IV (360/PS3) - 07/29/08

2680954395_4491a074df_o.jpg

SOULCALIBUR IV is the latest version of Namco's popular weapons based fighter!

For more information on SOULCALIBUR IV, please check the following links:

SOULCALIBUR IV - ONLINE MATCHMAKING & PLAYER'S LIST

XBOX 360
CAG NAME [360 GAMERTAG] - TIME ZONE

• MarkMan [SD TEKKEN 619] || PST

PLAYSTATION 3
CAG NAME [PSN NAME] - TIME ZONE

• MarkMan [MarkManSDT] || PST

TEKKEN 5 DARK RESURRECTION ONLINE (PS3)

2681773384_9a142ca9f3_o.jpg

TEKKEN 5 Dark Resurrection ONLINE is the latest console version of Namco's flagship fighting series. We have a good amount of CAG members that join in and battle, join up now and have fun with us!

For more information on TEKKEN 5 DARK RESURRECTION, please check the following sites:

TEKKEN 5 DARK RESURRECTION - ONLINE MATCHMAKING & PLAYER'S LIST

I'm willing to add more games to the lineup, so post here if you'd like to have other games added such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Virtua Fighter 5, Super Street Fighter II TURBO HD Remix BETA... etc.

If you're going to post your contact information please list it as follows:

GAME NAME (GGPO/T5DR/SC IV[SYSTEM])
CAG NAME [Gamertag/PSN Name/Nickname) || Time Zone (PST/MST/CST/EST)

Example:

TEKKEN 5 DR ONLINE
MarkMan [MarkManSDT] || PST

SOULCALIBUR IV - PS3

etc.

If anyone has any questions about things like arcade sticks, converters, latency/ping/setup. TV lag, etc. Please post in the FIGHTING GAME THREAD, I'll be happy to answer anything but I'm confident most of the fighting game thread regulars can answer any/all questions as well.

Would a mod be willing to sticky this? This thread covers multi gaming platforms. If it is possible, please do so! I'll update this as much as I can.

Other useful links:

EVO 2008
http://www.evo2k.com/

2008 ARCADE FIGHTING GAMES (USA, JPN)

2008 CONSOLE FIGHTING GAMES (USA, JPN)

* TENTATIVE
[/quote]

su-weet MM! If anything, I don't mind creating badges for people who win that they can place in their signature for victories... would be pretty damn cool IMHO. but yeah, that OP rocks!

That's awesome. I like the banner!

I'm down for some exhibition/for fun type matches:

SCIV PS3 gunm44 || PST
T5DRO PS3 gunm44 || PST

Can't wait for T6, SFIV, Blaz Blue, KOF...so much awesome coming I will asplode!

I'd be down for it....last time I tried to play a CAG in a fighting game, VF5 kept f'ing up.
Why can't SCIV be available early in chicago?

So you guys think it's good to post? More opinions/suggestions plz, hopefully it'll work out well.

I just wish we could have use it as a social group and have multiple people able to edit the main article.

I didnt go to SFIV event...

but on the bright side... I got a ticket to the next live taping of America's Best Dance Crew!!!

so a loss became my gain at the end!!

I also got my Know Your Rank shirt today, gonna hella rock that at the show!!!

went to the SF4 event. thanks for coming JEKKI and Markman! hahah =)

nah but really... here's my thoughts

1- way too many goddamn scrubs
fine, so the line is 10 deep. but jeez did i hate watching mashers play. and people who fell for wake up shoryus EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. people can't block jump ins or even do supers! i understand people don't know the system but come on! at least fall back on some 3S or SF2 knowledge.

2- fuck ken mang
i'm playing bison. i see ken. i know he's gonna throw a fireball so i do j.hk before his comes out. ken has enough recovery time to shoryu bison out of the air! are you kidding me? i was so mad after that.
speaking of ken, EVERY GODDAMN NUB picked ken. seriously? chalk up the next reason i hate scrubs.

3- weird properties
hitboxes in air-to-air is weird. gief's flying splash got beat by a jumping jab. chun's crouching roundhouse is no longer an anti-air but she got her jump roundhouse from 3S. chun li's crouching forward on HIT has frame disadvantage. oh yeah, some guy did a meaty fireball on me when i was bison, so i did a reversal ultra but that shizzle was so slow that he just shoryu'd me after. dhalsim's drill is mega slow and you can't use it to escape fireballs.

4- the good stuff
-360s and 720s are easy to do. i was hitting them easily... the complete opposite of say, ST.
-the new revenge system is interesting but no one really figured it out.
-i saw blanka ball supercancelled into super.
-i got a 4win streak with chun and a 4win with zangief. it felt mega easy to punish with supers and ultras. maybe because everyone was scrubtastic, but still. you can punish a blocked lvl 1 mp+mk with a super. it felt like i had all day to punish a shoto sweep too.
reversals are super easy. i don't think i could pull off reversal supers in any other game. maybe once in a blue moon i can get a reversal roll cancel special in cvs2.
-it definitely does feel like the game in between sf2 and sf3. but why oh why did they decide to only bring 4 new characters into the game (and hence, replace all the ST characters)? i hope to see some time releases but i doubt it.
-the game looks and plays well. i have no idea why it's not out here yet.

it's fun. i look forward to beating the hell out of scrubs.

I modded my DC stick with some Sanwa stick and buttons. Grinding the holes to make them bigger was a pain in the ass. The front plastic has some burn marks due to the metal heating up. I'm going to paint it, so no biggie. :)

Overall, it's definitely an improvement. The stick is much nicer and doesn't stick like the stock stick did. Plus, the switches are much easier, and don't fight you when you move the stick in their direction. The buttons are 100% better. Overall, a nice mod. I might have some pictures before I paint it, but it's nothing too special yet.

yo joe, sounds like it was a lot of fun...

I wanted to go pretty bad, but just couldn't go in the end... ;(

how was the free shirt and pizza? :)

I heard a lot of the 3S/ST players there were complaining about the game... and how jumps/anti airs worked really weird...

Raphael has a teleport?

Anyways, I can't wait to play SFIV, hope the next place they go is seattle!

And wooooooo Fei Long!

[quote name='heavyd853']Raphael has a teleport?

[/QUOTE]

yeah, I was wondering the same thing... then again, I was weirded out when SCIII introduced mini atomic circular explosions :lol:

So CAG FIGHT CLUB, thumbs up, thumbs down? Suggestions/alterations?

I'm going to probably post it up tomorrow after some more feedback. I want to know what else will work/help this experience.

[quote name='MarkMan']yo joe, sounds like it was a lot of fun...

I wanted to go pretty bad, but just couldn't go in the end... ;(

how was the free shirt and pizza? :)

I heard a lot of the 3S/ST players there were complaining about the game... and how jumps/anti airs worked really weird...[/quote]
free shirt... i got mine toward the end, hence i got an XL. i don't even wanna look at it.

free pizza was little caesar's so it was garbage. but it was free. hard to complain.

yeah the jumps / anti-airs were weird. it feels like... air-to-air attacks aren't set, moves randomly beat each other. and on the ground it doesn't feel like you have a good normal attack to beat an air. it always feels like you need a shoryu or a flash kick to beat something.

also priority feels like a joke, you don't get many invincible frames (if any at all). you will see supers and ultras stuffed by jabs if the jab's hit box came out faster. maybe i'm just bitter because i saw guile do an ex flash kick, so i used zangief's ultra and the flash kick just hit me in the face. but still. chun's super and ultra still goes through fireballs though. bison's too but thanks to ken's super fantastic fireball recovery he can still block after it! wtf!

oh yeah, no tripguard either. you do a jumping move and whiff, expect to eat that sweep.

i wanna hear more complaints though. i only wanna complain about scrubs but i did see valle there. and supposedly combofiend was there but i don't know either of them personally so whatever. hahah =)

oh yeah mark! i saw your boy chris (nerenatwah) there!

so far the OP post is good.... few things:

- before posted, try and get everyone's info (gamertag and whatnot) in the Fighter Thread so we already have a list of people on the starting line.
- remove the word 'hopefully' from the sentence in the beginning... we gotta be confident bastards ;)
- Inform me of if a medal system seems like a good idea. meeting special requirements and whatnot nets you a medal (ie. like a tournament win or good sportsmanship, as decided by fighter thread regulars).
- possability of training from people on online games to help improve people's techniques? I don't know >_<
- eventually prizes. I'll contribute to the prize pool, but initially it's going to be shitty.

Here's my info to start off:

T5DR
RelentlessRolento [Rolento] || EST

SC IV [PS3]
RelentlessRolento [Rolento] || EST

RR all excellent ideas, I'll try to implement each one.

I think making it vocal/known that training with each other 'online' and via thread posts will help boost the morale for people just starting out or not really competitive with the games. Also I think the medal/trophy thing would be an awesome idea.

Like we can give awards for most improved etc... and of course have FGT as the all powerful judges for those awards ^_^ Anyone else have any other impressions/suggestions? I know a lot of you guys might not like playing the fighters online, but it is slowly improving ::crosses fingers:: ...

Thanks for the MTV link too, didn't see that yet...

---

Joe: yea, some SD guys went... Viscant was there too but he said he didn't play much...

Boo on the free shirt not fitting you ;( You can always send it my way ;)

OK, making FIGHT CLUB ACTIVE!
[quote name='CAG FIGHT CLUB']
2681773424_443391b71c_o.jpg

First rule about CAG FIGHT CLUB....

KEEP THE FIGHTING GAME SPIRIT STRONG!!!

Hello everyone. This will be the start of something beautiful and in the future we'd be able to look back on this thread and think... This is why we love FIGHTING GAMES.

COMPETITION. FIND IT.

This thread's purpose is to help organize CAG members that play online fighting games. Everything including casual matches, online tournament planning, to helping another CAG member get better and to better yourself.

If you can't find local competition for your favorite fighting games (which is light years better than online experience)... Then join us and evolve your GAME.

Now you ask, why don't we post this in one of the existing FIGHTER GAME THREADS? Well, for one thing this is specifically for matchmaking and all aspects of online play, nothing more, nothing less. So, let's get ready, cuz I'm gonna take you for a ride!!!! *insert crappy music* ...

First up is...

GGPO (PC)

2680954341_e84b5cd503_o.gif
CAG GGPO Leader - ???

GGPO is a labor of love from some of the most brilliant net code engineers on the internet. They just happen to be some of the most hardcore/competitive fighters around and have continued to pave the way for the 'evolution' of the genre. GGPO offers the BEST ONLINE EXPERIENCE (latency/netcode) for fighting games. GGPO is an emulation tool that allows you to experience competitive gameplay without the annoying sacrifices that plague most online experiences.

Fighting games that are currently supported by GGPO are:

• Garou: Mark of the Wolves
  • King of Fighters 2002
  • King of Fighters '98
  • Marvel vs Capcom
  • Samurai Shodown 2
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
  • Super Street Fighter II: TURBO
  • Vampire Savior
  • X-Men vs Street Fighter

For more information on GGPO, please check the following links:

GGPO - ONLINE MATCHMAKING & PLAYER LIST

• MarkMan [MarkMan] || PST || ST, 3S, A2, A3
  • gigan54 [gigan54] || PST || ST, 3S, MOTW, A2, A3, XMVSF

CAG FIGHTING GAME COMMUNITY RECOGNITION/TITLES

SOULCALIBUR IV (360/PS3) - 07/29/08

2680954395_4491a074df_o.jpg

CAG SCIV ONLINE Leader - sleepy180

SOULCALIBUR IV is the latest version of Namco's popular weapons based fighter!

For more information on SOULCALIBUR IV, please check the following links:

SOULCALIBUR IV - ONLINE MATCHMAKING & PLAYER LIST

XBOX 360
CAG NAME [360 GAMERTAG] - TIME ZONE

• MarkMan [SD TEKKEN 619] || PST

PLAYSTATION 3

• RelentlessRolento [Rolento] || EST
  • gunm [gunm44] || PST
  • InuFaye [InuFaye] || EST

TEKKEN 5 DARK RESURRECTION ONLINE (PS3)

2681773384_9a142ca9f3_o.jpg

CAG T5DR ONLINE Leader - notorious_pip

TEKKEN 5 Dark Resurrection ONLINE is the latest console version of Namco's flagship fighting series. We have a good amount of CAG members that join in and battle, join up now and have fun with us!

For more information on TEKKEN 5 DARK RESURRECTION, please check the following sites:

TEKKEN 5 DARK RESURRECTION - ONLINE MATCHMAKING & PLAYER LIST

• RelentlessRolento [Rolento] || EST
  • gunm [gunm44] || PST
  • Chacrana [Chacranajxy] || CST
  • InuFaye [InuFaye] || EST

SUGGESTIONS?

I'm willing to add more games to the lineup, so post here if you'd like to have other games added such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Virtua Fighter 5, Super Street Fighter II TURBO HD Remix BETA... etc.

JOIN THE FUN!

If you're going to post your contact information please list it as follows:

GAME NAME (GGPO/T5DR/SC IV[SYSTEM])
CAG NAME [Gamertag/PSN Name/Nickname) || Time Zone (PST/MST/CST/EST)

Example:

TEKKEN 5 DR ONLINE

SOULCALIBUR IV - PS3

etc.

If anyone has any questions about things like arcade sticks, converters, latency/ping/setup. TV lag, etc. Please post in the FIGHTING GAME THREAD, I'll be happy to answer anything but I'm confident most of the fighting game thread regulars can answer any/all questions as well.

Would a mod be willing to sticky this? This thread covers multi gaming platforms. If it is possible, please do so! I'll update this as much as I can.

Other useful links:

EVO 2008
http://www.evo2k.com/

2008 ARCADE FIGHTING GAMES (USA, JPN)

2008 CONSOLE FIGHTING GAMES (USA, JPN)

* TENTATIVE

[/quote]

I'm a little disappointed there's no Melty Blood AC Ver. B in the fight club... I wanna be tha leader :(

But nobody plays it so whatev.

Soul Calibur 4 on PS III

Chacrana [Chacranajxy] || CST

I think I'll work on my SC skills before Tekken, just because SC is so soon. And I already have something of a base to work on.

[quote name='MarkMan']Joe: yea, some SD guys went... Viscant was there too but he said he didn't play much...

Boo on the free shirt not fitting you ;( You can always send it my way ;)[/quote]
i don't even remember what Viscant looks like.
i remember watching him play my friend gene at CvS2 and i got so bored i fell asleep on the couch. =)

i got someone lined up for the shirt already, i think, but if he doesn't want it i'll hit you up.
cellphone shot of the shirt:

Windows-1252BSU1HMDAwMTguanBn.jpg

holy crap that fatestay night games looks like crap.
40 hit boring combos? yay.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm a little disappointed there's no Melty Blood AC Ver. B in the fight club... I wanna be tha leader :(

Soul Calibur 4 on PS III

Chacrana [Chacranajxy] || CST

I think I'll work on my SC skills before Tekken, just because SC is so soon. And I already have something of a base to work on.[/QUOTE]

I play it...

[quote name='PhrostByte']I wouldn't mind playing some A2 or A3 in GGPO. Does GGPO support 3S? I thought it didn't...[/QUOTE]

Yes, it does support 3S and it's awesome.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I also play MB, throw that shit on there too.[/QUOTE]

I play soem MB too. I got my first real taste of it at AX and picked up Act Cadenza that same day. arcueid's a beast. I just wish this game was online.

and MM here's my GGPO info:

* gigan54 [gigan54] || PST || ST, 3S, MOTW, A2, A3, XMVSF

[quote name='Chacrana']
[/quote] I play it... Once in a blue moon, me and HMCM will set up mbcaster and beat each other silly back and forth.

[quote name='gigan54']I play soem MB too. I got my first real taste of it at AX and picked up Act Cadenza that same day. arcueid's a beast. I just wish this game was online.[/quote] Download this to play online.
http://mauve.sandwich.net/MBCaster.html

Honestly, SC skills are more reflexes than knowledge. That's just my opinion. It's not like you have to memorize crazy moves/juggles. You just have to know what move tracks, and when to step for the most part.

Thats why I like to learn who's cheap right away so I can whore out the good moves to make the ppl around me used to it, so in turn, I can learn how to fight against it ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back