Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='billyrox']Thanks for the response... kept playing.. on Chapter 10 now. The story is getting better atleast. That being said, now that I can choose my party.. should I keep my Lightning Hope, Fang Combo which I've grown accustommed to or should I switch it up? Does it matter?[/QUOTE]

I ran around with that combo for a while, another good party to try is Fang, Vanille, and Hope. I like starting with SAB/SAB/SYN casting haste then switching to relentless assault or combat clinic when I need it.

Apparently my good fortune has run out.

What the hell at mission 51? What the freaking hell. Who's idea was it to make a battle last well over 20 minutes AND allow doom to be cast?

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Apparently my good fortune has run out.

What the hell at mission 51? What the freaking hell. Who's idea was it to make a battle last well over 20 minutes AND allow doom to be cast?[/QUOTE]

You're doing it wrong. Everyone know complains about fights taking way too long is playing too defensively; the game punishes you for not attacking whenever you get an opening. It's really the case with every single hard fight in the game.

Not so sure that's the case, but in either situation the battle is a pain in the ass. I was pretty much switching back between sen/rav/med and com/com/rav to build up damage. It seems to be the most effective, but I still died several times. Several other strategies I've tried haven't worked either. Any tips?

I haven't really had any problems with any fights up until this point. I don't care if I'm doing it wrong, that's just really crappy game design.

I used snow/light/vanille for 51. I started with I think rav/rav/rav to build the stagger up to 200-300%, healed if needed, and then set snow as a sentinel. He used mediguard the whole time so attacus did almost no damage to him. I kept fang and light buffed with bravera and haste and just did sen/com/com. Did it in I think 11 minutes, barely 5 starring it. Theres videos on youtube about it that did better than I did, but it comes to down to one sentinel and two coms to kill him. Make sure you save before you fight him in case you just want to fight him once and 5 star it.

[quote name='Jodou']51 is cake if you stack damage resist (royal/imperial armlets). 64 was a much better fight, because it actually made you think and react to changing situations. Even with damage resist gear, he is still tough.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I just tried 51 for the first time last night and I can see it will take a while. I got killed and only had his health bar down about 1/5 the way. I'll try the damage resist stuff - I need more though. I think some of my fights are harder than others because I so rarely use a SYN. I still have Fang/Light/Vanille and while I gave Light and Vanille some secondary SYN skills they don't have much and I rarely use it. But that combo seemed like a much better offensive unit than when I had Sahz or Hope in there.

[quote name='combatrhombus']Alright got my first trap' and plat' ingot after slaying only three 'toise...much quicker than Neochu. I used a summon every time to take out its legs and spam death usually would take six to seven tries of casting death. Thanks prinny.

Now it's time to upgrade my Healers staff so I can dismantle and receive three trap's...agh this takes a lot of sturdy bones and UC reactors.[/QUOTE]

Now, I wish someone had mentioned (before I discovered it for myself last night) that using the Summon knocks out the legs instantly and automatically without you needing to do anything or I would have tried it much sooner. You guys assume too much when you talk about that - I had no fucking idea that's what it did. Since the summons seem to do so little when I used them before I didn't want to waste time fighting the legs with them - but it turns out you don't. I thought you had to mess around with all the attacks and the triangle attack and all that just for a chance to take out the legs. I still had some trouble killing them, though, even with the Summon. So I have the 'toise down, cast all sorts of debuffs, and then get the stagger gauge way up (and even have him staggered for a while) and yet it still took 3 or 4 tries (of dozens of Death spell casts each) to kill one. It didn't seem too much more effective than just going right into Death spamming off the bat without the summon. I did manage to kill a few last night though before I stopped. Got just 1 ingot. I have yet to get a Trap and I have both Catalogs equipped, and have always 5-starred them.

So other than farming, I think I just have 51, 61 or 62, 64, and the giant Cactuar fight left (54?). Then I have one that I just can't 5-star. I guess I'll have to try burning a Deceptisol on it but that seems so lame to have to do. It is the opening fight of the Titan section. It is easy as pie (one of those armored lizard things) but I just can't do it in the 20 seconds or so I'd need for 5 stars. I always get 2 or 3. I suppose the deceptisol would take care of that though.

[quote name='io']So other than farming, I think I just have 51, 61 or 62, 64, and the giant Cactuar fight left (54?). Then I have one that I just can't 5-star. I guess I'll have to try burning a Deceptisol on it but that seems so lame to have to do. It is the opening fight of the Titan section. It is easy as pie (one of those armored lizard things) but I just can't do it in the 20 seconds or so I'd need for 5 stars. I always get 2 or 3. I suppose the deceptisol would take care of that though.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't feel bad about it. The fact that the target time formula doesn't take the thing's high resistances into account basically requires you to use a Deceptisol to 5 star it at the power level you're likely to be at when you start the Faultwarrens. A bit silly, but there's not much use for Deceptisol beyond sneaking up on marks anyway. And hell, the same mob is the target of one of the mandatory Taejin's Tower missions earlier in the game and I'd be willing to wager you probably had no trouble 5-starring it then (though it may be possible to sneak up on it without the shroud there -- I don't remember).

[quote name='io']Now, I wish someone had mentioned (before I discovered it for myself last night) that using the Summon knocks out the legs instantly and automatically without you needing to do anything or I would have tried it much sooner.

Then I have one that I just can't 5-star. I guess I'll have to try burning a Deceptisol on it but that seems so lame to have to do. It is the opening fight of the Titan section. It is easy as pie (one of those armored lizard things) but I just can't do it in the 20 seconds or so I'd need for 5 stars. I always get 2 or 3. I suppose the deceptisol would take care of that though.[/QUOTE]
Lol, we did tell you to use a summon to knock out the legs! We just didn't want to spoil the surprise. ;)

Dude, that little bastard is impossible to 5* without a deceptisol OR some patience. By that I mean you can get the drop on him by baiting and getting lucky with how far he pulls. Sometimes he will sprint at you and run outside his normal threshold for aggro, which will force him to turn around when retreating. I was able to pull it off after toying with him for like five minutes, so it can be done.[quote name='BlueLobstah']Not so sure that's the case, but in either situation the battle is a pain in the ass. I was pretty much switching back between sen/rav/med and com/com/rav to build up damage. It seems to be the most effective, but I still died several times. Several other strategies I've tried haven't worked either. Any tips?[/QUOTE]
You can make the fight real easy on yourself by stacking damage resist (royal/imperial armlets). Pop a fortisol and aegisol before the fight and only switch to a sentinel for his powered attacks. Other than that, just debuff him at the start and go to town with tri-disaster. You will be shocked how easy the fight becomes.

Finished 51 the other night, and I found it pretty easy right out of the gate. No resist accessories or anything, just kept all Syn/Sab abilities up, switched to a rav/sen/med whenever someone was in danger of a one-hit-ko, and otherwise spent the battle in rav/rav/com. Finished in about 7 mins iirc. Though, my crystarium is near maxed out from Trap farming. Each character has all but one role mastered, and they're in the final two stages of the unmastered one.

Now, on the topic of farming, what are the things you actually need to farm for the Treasure Hunter trophy? I know about Traps, and I also imagine I'll have to farm Dark Matters, and of course Gil, but is there anything else?

[quote name='Salamando3000']Now, on the topic of farming, what are the things you actually need to farm for the Treasure Hunter trophy? I know about Traps, and I also imagine I'll have to farm Dark Matters, and of course Gil, but is there anything else?[/QUOTE]
Scarletite from sacrifices will save you a lot on money since it's the main stone used for most of the weapon/accessory upgrades. That's pretty much it.

I need help with
Barthandelus on Chapter 11
. I'm seriously getting sick of this shit.

I can get him down to 600-800K health before he doom's me and I get him down to 200-300K before doom kills me or I die because I'm frantically going on the offensive trying to beat the clock. I read that he doom's you if you're too slow but I don't get how I'm supposed to hurt him without dying, so I usually have at least one active MED (which slows down my offensive power).

My squad is Light (leader), Hope, and Fang:
COM RAV SEN - default, slow chain building/low damage
RAV RAV COM - full offensive
RAV MED COM - balanced, use when staggered
MED SYN SAB - buffs/de-buffs
MED MED SEN - extra healing
COM MED SEN - sustain chain/healing

I wouldn't mind except that the fight lasts like 30 minutes. He was a joke the first time.

[quote name='Vinny']I need help with
Barthandelus on Chapter 11
. I'm seriously getting sick of this shit.

I can get him down to 600-800K health before he doom's me and I get him down to 200-300K before doom kills me or I die because I'm frantically going on the offensive trying to beat the clock. I read that he doom's you if you're too slow but I don't get how I'm supposed to hurt him without dying, so I usually have at least one active MED (which slows down my offensive power).

My squad is Light (leader), Hope, and Fang:
COM RAV SEN - default, slow chain building/low damage
RAV RAV COM - full offensive
RAV MED COM - balanced, use when staggered
MED SYN SAB - buffs/de-buffs
MED MED SEN - extra healing
COM MED SEN - sustain chain/healing

I wouldn't mind except that the fight lasts like 30 minutes. He was a joke the first time.[/QUOTE]

That particular fight dooms you no matter what. At least, both times I fought him, he doomed me after losing similar amounts of health. My strat was to save the full 5 TP for the doomed part. Once doomed, I went full offensive rav/rav/com, and used Renew (2TP) to heal, and Dispel(1TP) to dispel if the debuffs got overwhelming.

[quote name='Salamando3000']That particular fight dooms you no matter what. At least, both times I fought him, he doomed me after losing similar amounts of health. My strat was to save the full 5 TP for the doomed part. Once doomed, I went full offensive rav/rav/com, and used Renew (2TP) to heal, and Dispel(1TP) to dispel if the debuffs got overwhelming.[/QUOTE]

I tried that my second time but the problem was that my leader died. Guess I'll have to be careful.

Finally finished the story today. On to farming! Question: how long does it take to platinum this game? I'm wondering if it's worth it.

[quote name='Vinny']I tried that my second time but the problem was that my leader died. Guess I'll have to be careful.[/QUOTE]

What I did was I gave everyone 2 rainbow anklets each ( = 60% daze resist), because Daze is what kills you in this fight. You may think it's not, but that's really what makes you fall behind.

Make sure you're party is fully buffed before you begin attacking. Then just do one round of Delta Attack and immediately switch to Mystic Tower (Rav/Rav/Sen). A good idea is to heal up with Combat Clinic right before you decide to stagger him, then you'll be set to tear shit up with Com/Com/Rav, although Com/Com/Com is ideal if you have it.

Things get tougher after that first stagger, you won't have time to get fully buffed anymore, so just make sure you have the first 1-2 essential buffs on your party and then repeat what you did before.

What's critical in this fight though is during the next staggers, you just have toss out a Renew when your party's health gets too low and just not give a shit so you can do as much damage as possible. Sometimes letting a party member die is better for a quick phoenix down.

That's one, pretty quick and risky way of doing it.

I working on platinum now about 90 hours so far and still a ways to go or so it seems. I have two traps' from farming 'toise and used them to upgrade to a kain's lance and nirvana so I can dismantle them and magically turn them into six total traps'.

Now my problem, what is the easy way to farm gil? I'm have been killing 'toise and just hoping for a platinum ingot but that seems never to happen quite fast enough even with my catalogs equipped. Then I have been using all my shrouds to regain my TP after I summon on a 'toise, then run around kill four or five randoms to regain one TP then use it on a summon to take the 'toise legs out again. Then shrouds again....repeat. Kinda boring....any advice on how I could speed my process up and get more gil?

Where are you fighting your 'Toise? My go to place has been the Adamantoise near the end of chapter 12.
You know, the one that crashes through the glass once you open one of the treasure spheres.
Load up one character with enough accessories/weapons for the "Gestalt/TP boost" effect, kill the 'Toise (I've been using death-spam for how mindless it is), and then run forward killing soldiers to re-fill the TP gauge. Enter the door to switch zones, come back, and repeat as necessary. No shrouds, gets a 'Toise kill on roughly an 8-min cycle.

Now, the most important step - get a laptop set up, and watch some Hulu or something to help make it less boring. No matter what you grind, you're gonna be grinding for awhile, and it's not like the game requires 100% attention.

[quote name='madbst']Finally finished the story today. On to farming! Question: how long does it take to platinum this game? I'm wondering if it's worth it.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='KingBroly']Probably double the amount of time it took you to beat the game.[/QUOTE]

Easily. I think I finished the game somewhere around 37hours, and I'm sitting at just over 81 right now with nothing but beating a Shaolong Gui and upgrading about a third of the equipment list left to go.

[quote name='combatrhombus']I working on platinum now about 90 hours so far and still a ways to go or so it seems. I have two traps' from farming 'toise and used them to upgrade to a kain's lance and nirvana so I can dismantle them and magically turn them into six total traps'.

Now my problem, what is the easy way to farm gil? I'm have been killing 'toise and just hoping for a platinum ingot but that seems never to happen quite fast enough even with my catalogs equipped. Then I have been using all my shrouds to regain my TP after I summon on a 'toise, then run around kill four or five randoms to regain one TP then use it on a summon to take the 'toise legs out again. Then shrouds again....repeat. Kinda boring....any advice on how I could speed my process up and get more gil?[/QUOTE]

Max out the Kain's Lance so you don't have to use summons anymore.

I was sick and spent the whole day playing. Huge FF fan and real 12 fan but 29h into the game and I think I love this one the better than 12. Its amazing. Best story in a FF yet! They put so many good ideas into this game.

[quote name='BREVITY']I was sick and spent the whole day playing. Huge FF fan and real 12 fan but 29h into the game and I think I love this one the better than 12. Its amazing. Best story in a FF yet! They put so many good ideas into this game.[/QUOTE]

I'd have to agree, and you haven't even beaten it yet so you're in for a real treat.

[quote name='Jodou']Lol, we did tell you to use a summon to knock out the legs! We just didn't want to spoil the surprise. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well given how fairly useless they were for other things I didn't want to waste time summoning them just to fight the legs - assuming of course that you have to do that. The whole knocking them down automatically thing doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, had to take a break since I need to do taxes and work this week. Hopefully I can make some progress on those last few missions and Trap farming this weekend.

[quote name='Jodou']You can make the fight real easy on yourself by stacking damage resist (royal/imperial armlets). Pop a fortisol and aegisol before the fight and only switch to a sentinel for his powered attacks. Other than that, just debuff him at the start and go to town with tri-disaster. You will be shocked how easy the fight becomes.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like the real problem was that I was under-leveled for that fight, but there was no real indication otherwise. I had been breezing (5 stars) through all of the prior missions with no issues at all, and was at least able to maintain a steady pace in mission 51. I'm just annoyed to have a fight last for that long only to have doom cast on me and to die when he has about 5% health left. It was a really idiotic on square's part to decide this is a good idea.

It's in complete contrast to mission 54 with 10,000 needles. I immediately know I'm under-leveled for that fight and don't have to spend a long time in the battle only to have some idiotic game designer decide I'm taking too long and use an ending move regardless of the player's performance. I can accept that maybe I need to modify equipment and/or level more in order to tackle a difficult boss, but 51 is definitely the wrong way of informing a player to do so.

[quote name='Jodou']Sorry, but not even the scriptwriters had a focus for this game.[/QUOTE]

Lawl. Disagree with that one though, because the scriptwriters are crystals now ;)

Just took down Long Gui... kind of sad that's it in terms of incredibly tough battles. I wish they had some more end game challenges, some incredibly tough guys that rely more on strategy than just sheer force of will and maxing out. Vercingoix and Long Gui were probably my two favorite fights in the game.

I decided to come back to grind a bit to take down the mark for Mission 64 and Long Gui... everything got about 100 times easier once I maxed out Kain's Lance (and discovered Highwind). The best part is, Long Gui even dropped a trap for me. I never bothered maxing out the accessories, but I went full force on the weapons, and went in with three ultimate weapons almost fully maxed. Killing the damn Toise in Eden so many times is great practice for Long Gui.

I would try to plat now, but meh, I didn't do too hot on about half the missions... is there any easier way to redo them than going to the stone, going to the mark, and hoping I nail 5 stars so I don't have to go back to the stone? I was doing ok getting 5 stars for awhile until I wasn't paying attention and got 4, and it seemed to be a hassle to trek all the way back to the stone to redo.

I gave up on Final Fantasy XIII. The "mild disappointment" tag I gave it was wrong. "Major disappointment" is more sufficient. I just did not like the game. Didn't like the fighting engine with the paradigms, the characters, the music, the arrogance that S-E brought to the project or Lightening's emo attitude. After 15 hours, I had enough. The game is not fun.

I traded it in for GTA 4: Episodes, which I know I will love since GTA4 was my favorite game of 2008. Maybe I'll buy FFXIII again in the summer once the deluge is over. I sure hope that Versus XIII will be a much better game but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm going to look into importing Tales Of Vesperia from Japan for my PS3. I might even buy my 2nd Nintendo DS and get DQIX on June 1.

[quote name='animalspinners']Just took down Long Gui... kind of sad that's it in terms of incredibly tough battles. I wish they had some more end game challenges, some incredibly tough guys that rely more on strategy than just sheer force of will and maxing out. Vercingoix and Long Gui were probably my two favorite fights in the game.[/QUOTE]
Amen. I felt so cheated once I beat the 'endgame' mobs and there was nothing else left to do. Just when the game gets awesome, there's no super bosses to fight like FFVII had. I never did beat that fucking Ruby Weapon. . .

[quote name='lustyhitter']I sure hope that Versus XIII will be a much better game but I'm not holding my breath.[/QUOTE]

If you enjoyed Kingdom Hearts, I would say to have faith in the game since they are developing it. I honestly was never interested in Final Fantasy XIII simply because I felt like Versus was going to be the better of the two. As for the battle system, if you didn't like XIII, maybe Versus will be more suited to you. "The battle system is said to be very action orientated and to resemble the fight scenes of the movie Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. (Who's team is also doing the graphics)" I think this game is going to be awesome, and hopefully it is.

I don't understand the buying of all the hype for Versus. Nothing, nada, has been shown about the game except some stupid tuxedo scene that looks Shinra 2.0.

"The battle system is said to be very action orientated and to resemble the fight scenes of the movie Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children" is the exact thing the devs said about XIII too. The system was faster, and the action 100x better than anything in the older games. Yet, people still complained and say it sucked. Versus is gonna be better... yeah. Okay. I'm gonna enjoy selecting more commands from a menu.

"(Who's team is also doing the graphics)"

AC's graphics are outdated. The CG footage from Versus looks the exact same as XIII, and not a single minute of in-game footage has been released.

"If you enjoyed Kingdom Hearts, I would say to have faith in the game since they are developing it." Oh guess who made XIII, the X team. And omg, what do you know, they made a ~better~ game than KH and yet they still 'failed,' right?

"I honestly was never interested in Final Fantasy XIII simply because I felt like Versus was going to be the better of the two."

What the fuck are you smoking?

FFXIII Versus is dark, and the violence is suggested to be grittier so that automatically makes it more appealing to certain types of people.

And that appeal will translate to every aspect of the game. Even though the character design is similar to FFXIII's, even if the music is of a similar composition, even if the main character is more "emo" then Lightning apparently is (lol?), and even if they have no idea what the hell the game plays like or even what it's about -- it WILL be better than FFXIII because there's a badass dude breaking arms and slicing people up in the dark.

Why people are like this is beyond me. If there's anything that the FF name means is that "hey, this game is nothing like the one before it" -- yet people get hyped as shit and then come on here and are like, "aww phooey, I can't bring myself to finish this game because I hate things about it that I could of easily learned about before making the purchase, oh well I'm just going to trade it in for $38"

Sooo many people do this, and just keep disappointing themselves time and time again as if someday they are going to play that divine game that plays just like the one they had on their SNES or PS1 when they were a kid. And when they find out it's not, they label the game as a failure, call the developers "arrogant" and go on to hyping the next thing they know nothing about.

As for me, I'm excited to see what Versus is all about. But I know very well that when it comes to games titled with "Final Fantasy", it's a name that means absolutely nothing other than to get blind consumers to purchase it, trade it back in when they find out they bought a game that they held no interest in, and come on a message board and cry about how the "series" is going down hill.

It's apparently a big shocker devs don't develop games catered specifically for YOUR needs. Oh my.

And yeah, Versus is so fucking dark and gritty, it'll have a T rating. I dig it!

Usually I don't care about hyping (I do it myself) and whatever nonsense, people are idiots. But please stop being retards shitting on XIII then hyping Versus purely on name alone. You're embarrassing yourself. Stop.

[quote name='Jodou']Amen. I felt so cheated once I beat the 'endgame' mobs and there was nothing else left to do. Just when the game gets awesome, there's no super bosses to fight like FFVII had. I never did beat that fucking Ruby Weapon. . .[/QUOTE]

If I could just take one crack at Titan...

[quote name='Jodou']Amen. I felt so cheated once I beat the 'endgame' mobs and there was nothing else left to do. Just when the game gets awesome, there's no super bosses to fight like FFVII had. I never did beat that fucking Ruby Weapon. . .[/QUOTE]

I remember having more trouble with the Emerald Weapon than the Ruby Weapon. No clue what strategy I used on them. Pretty sure it was master my materia and bombard him with Knights of the Round and my other summons.

I think I got lucky and beat the Ruby Weapon on my second try.

[quote name='Cloyd']I remember having more trouble with the Emerald Weapon than the Ruby Weapon. No clue what strategy I used on them. Pretty sure it was master my materia and bombard him with Knights of the Round and my other summons.

I think I got lucky and beat the Ruby Weapon on my second try.[/QUOTE]
Emerald was only hard because of that retarded half hour timer and you couldn't skip the summons, so it was pretty much impossible without the accessory. I finally beat him after maybe an hour of watching KotR lol. Ruby just never let me kill my own party before he'd kick them out of the battle. Once you're down to just one guy, it was impossible.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I don't understand the buying of all the hype for Versus. Nothing, nada, has been shown about the game except some stupid tuxedo scene that looks Shinra 2.0.

"The battle system is said to be very action orientated and to resemble the fight scenes of the movie Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children" is the exact thing the devs said about XIII too. The system was faster, and the action 100x better than anything in the older games. Yet, people still complained and say it sucked. Versus is gonna be better... yeah. Okay. I'm gonna enjoy selecting more commands from a menu.

"(Who's team is also doing the graphics)"

AC's graphics are outdated. The CG footage from Versus looks the exact same as XIII, and not a single minute of in-game footage has been released.

"If you enjoyed Kingdom Hearts, I would say to have faith in the game since they are developing it." Oh guess who made XIII, the X team. And omg, what do you know, they made a ~better~ game than KH and yet they still 'failed,' right?

"I honestly was never interested in Final Fantasy XIII simply because I felt like Versus was going to be the better of the two."

What the fuck are you smoking?[/QUOTE]
Well to be honest, I've never really played any final fantasy games. When I was younger, I played the demo of Final Fantasy 8 on my OPM demo disc all the time but never bought the game. When I got my ps2, I immediately rented Final Fantasy X, but alas I didn't have a memory card, so I never completed it. So maybe that's why I'm more excited about Versus, since the team that is making it worked on an rpg that I've actually beaten and enjoyed.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Usually I don't care about hyping (I do it myself) and whatever nonsense, people are idiots. But please stop being retards shitting on XIII then hyping Versus purely on name alone. You're embarrassing yourself. Stop.[/QUOTE]

In my first post, it can't really be considered shitting on XIII, I just simply stated that when both were announced I felt more interest in Versus than I did in XIII. Besides that, I can't really say anything on the game since I haven't played it. I don't really see the need for you to bash others simply because they aren't into the same title as you, or insult them for having interest in a game due to trailers or interviews/information. Sure we haven't seen gameplay, but the trailers I have seen have gotten me interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jodou']Emerald was only hard because of that retarded half hour timer and you couldn't skip the summons, so it was pretty much impossible without the accessory. I finally beat him after maybe an hour of watching KotR lol. Ruby just never let me kill my own party before he'd kick them out of the battle. Once you're down to just one guy, it was impossible.[/QUOTE]

Ruby was cake if you went in with two guys dead already. He would start out the battle as if he knocked both out himself. A quick Phoenix summon later and everything's all right.

Emerald's timer forced use of the underwater materia, but for me the really hard part was beating him before he could cast his Aire Tam Storm move and instantly kill everyone (did 9999 damage to every person). Don't think I ever found what caused him to do so much damage.

'Course, both fell pretty easy if you abused the Lucky 7777 thing. Did near a half-million points of damage.

Now, back to FF13. Just managed to 5-star the last mission I needed for L'Cie Paragon. Three more trophies and I have it plat'd - Master all roles (which should take care of itself), fell a Shaolong Gui, and treasure master. I could already be done farming Traps (I'll just need to earn trophy without saving game) so all I really need now is some Dark Matter and a ton of Gil.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku'] It's apparently a big shocker devs don't develop games catered specifically for YOUR needs. Oh my.

And yeah, Versus is so fucking dark and gritty, it'll have a T rating. I dig it!

Usually I don't care about hyping (I do it myself) and whatever nonsense, people are idiots. But please stop being retards shitting on XIII then hyping Versus purely on name alone. You're embarrassing yourself. Stop.[/QUOTE]

You ruv FF13. We GET it.

I don't love it more than I do any other game I enjoy, it's not the second coming of RPGs. Neither is Versus since we don't show shit about it. Even if I didn't like the game all I'd still be throwing up at all this ungrounded bullshit hype for "game X I love because of its name."

Well if you like Kingdom Hearts, the director has said Versus gameplay will be similar to that. If you like Final Fantasy brand + Kingdom Hearts gameplay, well, this is why people are supporting Versus before knowing ANYTHING about it.

It's like supporting Bayonetta because it has a Hot Protagonist + DMC gameplay before knowing anything else about it.

I don't see it as irrational at all. If it's based off ideas that people already like (like Kingdom Hearts gameplay) I can't see why you would knock people for hyping the idea of it.

I don't even care enough. If dumbasses want to fool themselves into this kind of thinking every time a game comes out, whatever. I'm sick of reading this ignorant crap.

Real discussion for once would be nice.

To me, XIII was basically trying to evolve JRPG's from the X mindset. Almost every JRPG after FFX is basically a copycat of it. From the get go, Versus has been seen as the true evolution of Final Fantasy.

FF13 is a great game. Could it have been better? Absolutely. But it seems like the game became increasingly cheap on the development side ever since they decided to make it multiplatform. If you look at Chapter 2, there are paths can see rendered but you can't access. It just seems like in some areas it wasn't finished.

They streamlined this Final Fantasy A LOT, and almost all of them were helpful. The only thing it didn't streamline was the grinding post-game. But since the majority of people won't play it after they beat it, they won't see it as a problem.

I have a couple of questions about the beginning of the last chapter, if someone could be kind and give me some insight that would be awesome
1. At the beginning of chapter 13 you are given an option to continue or go back to 11 and level up some more. Would you recommend this? I have everyone leveled up as far as they go, and did a pretty good bit of leveling up in 11. Just want to know if I'll stand a chance unless I go back.

2. When do you unlock the second tier of the Level 5 crystalarium?

[quote name='FrankySox']I have a couple of questions about the beginning of the last chapter, if someone could be kind and give me some insight that would be awesome
1. At the beginning of chapter 13 you are given an option to continue or go back to 11 and level up some more. Would you recommend this? I have everyone leveled up as far as they go, and did a pretty good bit of leveling up in 11. Just want to know if I'll stand a chance unless I go back.

2. When do you unlock the second tier of the Level 5 crystalarium?
[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't have a problem, and trees will open up farther and you can do all those sidequests after beating the game anyways.

Now go enjoy yourself and finish Chapter 13. If you're having trouble during the last fight, buy some cheap Cherub Crowns and put them on Lightning to resist the instant death effect. Otherwise the fight isn't so bad.

[quote name='panzerfaust']
You shouldn't have a problem, and trees will open up farther and you can do all those sidequests after beating the game anyways.

Now go enjoy yourself and finish Chapter 13. If you're having trouble during the last fight, buy some cheap Cherub Crowns and put them on Lightning to resist the instant death effect. Otherwise the fight isn't so bad.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, really enjoyed the game up to this point. Probably my second favorite Final Fantasy game.

The game did do some things that made it more bearable, like retrying battles and starting you off right out of fighting range instead of reloading an old save. Saves a lot of time and the "OH DAMN, I FORGOT TO SAVE!!!" scenario for the most part.

I also do enjoy the commands just taking ATB bars and no MP to worry about tbh, it just makes going through the game less tedious.

Some small things that'd make it better:

One thing I liked about FFX was switching out party members during fights, b/c IMO it just makes more sense. Plus, you can strategize/have fun and it would make some fights probably a lot cooler/entertaining.

An Equipment swap function would have been nice instead of un-equipping/re-equipping constantly if you're testing out certain combinations.

I would've also liked the paradigm decks to be saved with each party combination instead RE-DOING it every single time you swap out a character.

Just finished the game and what a fantastic ending. The game was incredible and one my favorites from this generation, hopefully it gets some looks for game of the year this year, though I highly doubt it will.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back