Final Fantasy XV E3 2013 Trailer & Gameplay Demo (Used to be FFVSXIII)

Honestly, not really seeing huge differences between the versions other than the expected larger draw distances. Then again, watching in 1080p we won't see 4k resolution anyway so pretty moot point.

Conan didn't like it...

https://youtu.be/eXJFbsQBvLw

...I'm still looking forward to it, but I'm not sure what to expect after 10 years. 

My BB "Beanie" edition arrives today and I'm still enthralled with playing Skyrim this weekend. Says a lot when a 5 year old game is holding my attention more than a new FF lol.

Infinite Air-Step is so worth the AP.  :whee:

Pro Tips [Non Spoilers]:

As I said before, listening to locals will fill in background story or add key points to the map that the Tipster won't have. 

Eating in at restaurants and gathering food materials will sometimes make Ignis write down a new recipe for the group. 

Staying in different camp spots, hotels, or trailers can lead to additional scenes.

Even though side-quests are fetch quests and dull, they do unlock new weapons and items in the shop. 

Teamwork skill tree makes the early and mid-game easy on normal mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the combat easy to understand/get into? 

I'm not gonna lie, in FFXIII I didn't realize it until much later in the game but I sucked ass at the combat. Like, I thought I was doing fine but I hit some boss I could beat, watch a YT vid, and I was like "WTF, how do I do all that shit?!". I mean, I've played RPGs all my life but there was simply too many mechanics to that game (and not just the combat, but like the item creation and whatnot). I think the final boss (that big, round tank thing) took me over an hour to beat. Is XV similar, in that sense, that there's a lot of minor mechanics that you need to think about/follow? The Plat demo boss fight kicked by ass and that made me worry about the combat, but everyone is saying that demo was a terrible representation of the actual game... 

I'm not gonna lie, in FFXIII I didn't realize it until much later in the game but I sucked ass at the combat. Like, I thought I was doing fine but I hit some boss I could beat, watch a YT vid, and I was like "WTF, how do I do all that shit?!".
Man XIII's combat was great. :D

I only played XV for a couple of hours last night so I'm not sure what to think yet. In some ways it's simpler but in others it's more chaotic. I'm still trying to get the hang of warp-striking without wasting all of my MP. The onscreen prompts for when to block and parry are a godsend.

It's visually spectacular though. The moves that Noctis does, and the team-up Link Strikes, sometimes just make you go damn. (And then wonder if that badass thing that just happened was actually something that you triggered somehow or if it just happened by itself.)

I played the first 90 minutes or so last night and I enjoyed the sidequests.  They are nothing but fetch quests, but they're fun.  The things that I was afraid were going to be lame and boring, are actually turning out to be what I'm initially enjoying.  Go figure. 

Dat soundtrack, tho.  Wow, it's amazing.

Is the combat easy to understand/get into?
It is until you run into a high level mob or large group then you need to do a bit of micro-managing. If the game is too fast paced, there is a "wait mode" available when you stand-still that lets you plan out attacks that way. The only thing I think the game requires you to keep in mind are resistances and weaknesses.

Dat soundtrack, tho. Wow, it's amazing.
It definitely is! It's the reason why I'm importing the Blu-ray FFXV OST LE.

I found issues with wait mode in the tutorial at the start of the game. Decided against using it because of how intrusive it was. Not sure if it was a bug, but it was pretty damned annoying.

Pro Tips [Non Spoilers]:
When sprinting on foot, re-clicking the sprint button (Auto-Spring or Manual) when it's almost depleted will completely refill the stamina bar. If you do it a little bit early, you can't really re-click right after to perform the stamina refill and you'll just run out of stamina.

Conan didn't like it...
Conan's entire game segment is pretty much just satire. It's meant as entertainment and not really anything else.

I just wanted to give my thoughts on the pre-order DLCs that have been available for this game except for the car skins.

All weapon DLCs - Obsolete by Chapter 3 (Masamune, Blazefire Saber, etc). Enjoy them until then.

Royal Raiment Outfit DLC - Increases Noctis' HP and MP by 100  and faster energy recovery. Best outfit for Noctis for awhile.

Travel Pack - 50% off all hotels and gas prices. So worth it for those expensive hotels that grant double XP.

Angler Pack - Leviathan Lure, Fomalhaut Reel, and Air Stagger Rod. This is great until Chapter 6 or whenever you acquire the Death Spin rod and reel equivalent (store purchase, I forgot where though.)

Gourmand Set - Infinite Cheese Pizza recipe. Pretty good since it gives 100 attack and no ingredients required. 

Camera Kit - Gives Prompto the LOKTON LX-X1R camera. It gives a slight blue tint to pictures, but other than that I haven't noticed anything better or different from Prompto's starting camera. 

People must really have been waiting for this game: I've seen a few friends online playing this after not being around for months or years even. I must say I'm impressed one game franchise can still stir the pot.

I just wanted to give my thoughts on the pre-order DLCs that have been available for this game except for the car skins.

All weapon DLCs - Obsolete by Chapter 3 (Masamune, Blazefire Saber, etc). Enjoy them until then.

Royal Raiment Outfit DLC - Increases Noctis' HP and MP by 100 and faster energy recovery. Best outfit for Noctis for awhile.

Travel Pack - 50% off all hotels and gas prices. So worth it for those expensive hotels that grant double XP.

Angler Pack - Leviathan Lure, Fomalhaut Reel, and Air Stagger Rod. This is great until Chapter 6 or whenever you acquire the Death Spin rod and Reel equivalent (store purchase, I forgot where though.)

Gourmand Set - Infinite Cheese Pizza recipe. Pretty good since it gives 100 attack and no ingredients required.

Camera Kit - Gives Prompto the LOKTON LX-X1R camera. It gives a slight blue tint to pictures, but other than that I haven't noticed anything better or different from Prompto's starting camera.
Thanks for this. I was wondering why my hotel prices showed a 50% discount.

How do you actually equip a different fishing rod on Noctis or camera on Prompto? I couldn't find it in any of the menus.

How do you actually equip a different fishing rod on Noctis or camera on Prompto? I couldn't find it in any of the menus.
To change fishing equipment: Once you start fishing at a spot, you can enter a menu that's shown on the right side of the screen called "Tackle."

As for Prompto's Camera: Enter the main menu at any time and go into Archives > Photos > Camera.

Royal Raiment Outfit DLC - Increases Noctis' HP and MP by 100 and faster energy recovery. Best outfit for Noctis for awhile.

Angler Pack - Leviathan Lure, Fomalhaut Reel, and Air Stagger Rod. This is great until Chapter 6 or whenever you acquire the Death Spin rod and reel equivalent (store purchase, I forgot where though.)

Camera Kit - Gives Prompto the LOKTON LX-X1R camera. It gives a slight blue tint to pictures, but other than that I haven't noticed anything better or different from Prompto's starting camera.
What stores provided these DLC's?

Interesting. I think I understand what's going on here without even having played the game yet. Essenitally, to level up you need to camp and total up the exp you've gained this level. Thing is, SE was stupid and didn't put a cap on stored exp so even though you probably had enough to level a few hours ago, it just keeps letting you rack up exp. Also, to prevent overleveling they probably had a system in place to scale exp from quests done based on your current level but because you are a specific level when the tally is done, the scaling isn't diminishing like it would normally. That coupled with the fact that you're using an exp modified hotel for double the exp, you're getting a huge boost all at once.

Lol, I might start playing it this weekend to see if I can't get in on this before they nerf it, as I'm assuming 99 is level cap like previous games.

The diminishing only occurs when you stay out for a long period of days without going to camp or hotel. Other than that, you can keep tallying your XP up at your leisure. Not really an exploit.

I agree that it's not an exploit really. Just smart use of game mechanics. Even without storing experience and you just used a normal inn for a x1.5 bonus and turned in frequently, you'll still level really quickly for doing hunts and quests. I did the storing experience earlier when I started accumulating experience yesterday at level 38. Gained around 100k-110k experience before hitting up the 2x EXP Inn. Went from 38 to level 50/51.

Another complaint I have is the enemies that drop in on you are too ridiculous in my opinion. When I was in my mid 30s I had some ridiculous shit drop in on me. First it was two level 24 [customspoiler='enemy']axemen[/customspoiler] and a level 47 [customspoiler='enemy']assassin[/customspoiler], which is fine. After a few of those I got a dozen level 47 [customspoiler='enemy']assassins[/customspoiler] and they're pretty terrible to fight in a large group if you don't use magic. Then I had a god damned level 76 [customspoiler='enemy']mech[/customspoiler] drop in on me and proceeded to one-hit me and then one-hit me as I was running away after I popped a potion. What the hell is with this games sense of balance with those. Plus they can come multiple times when I'm engaged in another fight. Keep in mind I was in my mid 30's at the time.

I rather face those than the defense sponge that is the Red Giant. Even with pure Light weapons, it still takes a bit. 

I'm loving the combos you can perform in this game with infinite Air Step. You never touch the ground with it. Ex) Lance Air Warp Strike (Break) - Air Step - Lance 2 Hit > Dagger Warp Strike (Critical) - Air Step > 2-Hand strike > Air Step > -GA magic for finish and mob weakening.  :D

*I just defeated the lvl 99 [customspoiler='Monster']Adamantoise [/customspoiler]on normal. Great idea, but terrible execution since it was more of a battle against the camera.

*Got the platinum (12/6).  :D

Final Fantasy XV Free Updates Detailed; New Playable Characters, Possible Avatar System and More

For the short term, the team intends to improve the gameplay of chapter 13. For that reason, many enhancements are already in the works, including increasing greatly the power of ring magic. More information on the extent of the improvements and on release date will come at a later date.

For the medium term, the team plans to improve the production values of chapter 13, enhancing the story experience. For example, a cutscene will be added answering the question “why did Ravus follow that fate?” To add event cutscenes, voice and localization work needs to be done, so the developers will steadily work on this as a medium-term goal. Details on the plan will be provided once they’re firmly in place.

As a long-term goal, the team wants to implement important characters who appeared in the story as playable characters. They’re also considering adding an avatar system to let players create original characters. In addition to this, the team will continue to update the game actively so that players can enjoy it for a long time.

Additional updates will include new game plus, level limiter and invincibility armor, offering various items to broaden the breadth of gameplay. The font will also be enlarged to make it easier to read.

Live content will also be implemented, like boss fights with rewards and achievements, limited time mob hunts and more.

Final Fantasy XV Free Updates Detailed; New Playable Characters, Possible Avatar System and More

For the short term, the team intends to improve the gameplay of chapter 13. For that reason, many enhancements are already in the works, including increasing greatly the power of ring magic. More information on the extent of the improvements and on release date will come at a later date.

For the medium term, the team plans to improve the production values of chapter 13, enhancing the story experience. For example, a cutscene will be added answering the question “why did Ravus follow that fate?” To add event cutscenes, voice and localization work needs to be done, so the developers will steadily work on this as a medium-term goal. Details on the plan will be provided once they’re firmly in place.

As a long-term goal, the team wants to implement important characters who appeared in the story as playable characters. They’re also considering adding an avatar system to let players create original characters. In addition to this, the team will continue to update the game actively so that players can enjoy it for a long time.

Additional updates will include new game plus, level limiter and invincibility armor, offering various items to broaden the breadth of gameplay. The font will also be enlarged to make it easier to read.

Live content will also be implemented, like boss fights with rewards and achievements, limited time mob hunts and more.
Great - I do hate this generation of games that are basically ongoing titles, where developers keep adding or changing content. In this case, it sounds like Square intends to add substantially to FFXV after its release (makes me wonder whether it was *actually* done).

I had to read some spoilers, and I'm less than happy with the way this one ends. It just doesn't appeal to me. May be down the road when the inevitable *complete* edition comes out at a budget price, but until then, I don't see myself picking it up.

FF13 pretty much ruined FF for me. That, and may be my tastes are evolving, but I just don't find the FF stories/dialogue and aesthetics appealing anymore. I've heard FFXV is different, but Kingsglaive felt the same way to me - too hammy and too serious. The same problems I had with 13 ...

Got the platinum for this one yesterday and will be taking it back for trade. One of the more lacking FFs I've ever played, and I honestly didn't find the combat to be engaging at all, which makes me sad for FF7R

I have downloaded both the holiday pack twice(yes I have the SP), restarting the game both times, and still don't have any of the stuff. Anyone else?

Had to download again and the third reboot did the trick. Download via Web browser and clicking "download to PS4" wasn't installing correctly for whatever reason. Downloaded from store ON my PS4 store app is what worked. Stupid.

Started the game this morning, about 4 hours in. I have the Nixperience Band equipped. Should I cash in the Exp or keep saving while level 1? I'm doing level 8-10 hunts and they're taking a bit longer but are still manageable.

The whole main story is manageable at level 1, so feel free to do as you like.  If you want to level up, then save everything for when you go to the Galdin Quay resort for the 2x experience. 

The whole main story is manageable at level 1, so feel free to do as you like. If you want to level up, then save everything for when you go to the Galdin Quay resort for the 2x experience.
Ending up (begrudgingly) paying the 10,000 gil to stay there for the 2x experience. Went from level 1 to 11...not bad.

There is a 3x EXP Inn that is available at Chapter 9 and later. I ended up saving the final bits of my exp gain which will show you what's possible with 2x EXP Food using Expericast created using the remaining Coins/Notes I had from the story and still had enough left over to kill the enemy I did about 2 more times. Pretty ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkJdqakSWIY

But yeah, the combat relies too heavily on counter. Since you can revive yourself before a game over hits, you can kill everything in the game as a level 1. Pretty boring just sitting there countering, so I tried to rarely use it outside of certain enemy types.

There is a 3x EXP Inn that is available at Chapter 6 and later. I ended up saving the final bits of my exp gain which will show you what's possible with 2x EXP Food using Expericast created using the remaining Coins/Notes I had from the story and still had enough left over to kill the enemy I did about 2 more times. Pretty ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkJdqakSWIY

But yeah, the combat relies too heavily on counter. Since you can revive yourself before a game over hits, you can kill everything in the game as a level 1. Pretty boring just sitting there countering, so I tried to rarely use it outside of certain enemy types.
You were level 50+ when u did the magic trick and ended up w 3m exp to reach 99? wasnt that overkill? I would think 2m exp would be enough. Is there an exp table out there?

You were level 50+ when u did the magic trick and ended up w 3m exp to reach 99? wasnt that overkill? I would think 2m exp would be enough. Is there an exp table out there?
No idea how much was necessary, I did the Expericast Magic once to try it since I had a ton of coins/notes going through the story and then a second time since I had some time left on my 2x EXP Food (Also found in Altissia at the bar). My second kill, which the video has shown was around 230k exp for the kill. I want to say the first was around 330k or so. I want to say the experience gained with Expericast is based off of how many times you use the Expericast magic and the quality (Mine was 96-99 I think) before the enemy dies. The rest of the experience was from doing sidequests and various other things.

Way back when I was level 52, it took about 48 rare coins to reach 97-98 via Expericast, moogle charms, and Chocobo burger combo.

Whoa, I'm bopping along in this game, really enjoying it too, but had no idea about these exp combos.  Where can I get more info on how to do this?  I'm at level 39 now on Chapter 8. 

The only thing i hate doing are the rescue and broken car side missions.not only are they only triggered when u see them but locating them is a pain if you dont have a guide.

I also wish that all hunts are put in your list once you see them at diners for the first time. Game makes you visit each diner so many times its ridiculous.

Whoa, I'm bopping along in this game, really enjoying it too, but had no idea about these exp combos. Where can I get more info on how to do this? I'm at level 39 now on Chapter 8.
The original guide was on Reddit and later became refined by other sites. This site does a fair job of covering it.

Man, so i started progressing through the story after overleveling and getting all available quests during chalter 3 and notice chapters are really short. Sheesh! Im already at chapter 8 and i think i only played 4-5 hours for it. Might just push through the end so i can do end game already. Was the holiday pack+ worth it? Thinking of buying the season pass. Hehe

I'm loving the game, so I think I'm going to spring for the season pass, but I'm also wondering about the holiday pack +.  Not sure I have to pony up now, I'll wait and hope for a sale of some sort.

Info about the Holiday Pack+ that is in the season pass. I went for the season pass since I enjoyed the game very much and was looking forward to the Co-Op expansion with my friends.

As for the holiday pack+, I'll list my thoughts on what I used.

Ring of Resistance – A protective piece of jewelry that renders the entire party to be resistant to magical friendly fire.
  •  Worth it if you enjoy using magic often since it's so powerful, especially the Limit Break versions. No more party KO's with this on. 

Tech Turbocharger – A device for Noctis that accelerates the tech bar replenishment rate, but freezes the Armiger bar.
  • I used this one to help level up everyone's Tech skills to max which really helps with the ones that require three bars. After that, I took it off since I like using Armiger.

Armiger Accelerator – A device for Noctis that accelerates the Armiger bar replenishment rate, but freezes the tech bar.
  • Never used it.
Blitzer’s Fanfare – A scroll of sheet music containing a song of jubilation that provides additional AP for earning an A+ in Time outside of training.
  • Great with "Warrior's Fanfare" from the free Holiday Pack if you need more AP

Tactician’s Fanfare – A scroll of sheet music containing a song of jubilation that provides additional AP for earning an A+ in Finesse outside of training.
  • Never used it.

Key of Prosperity – A lucky charm that increases the rate at which fallen foes leave behind items of value.
  • This is the highlight of the pack. It is worth it for rare accessory or item farming such as getting multiples of Magitek Suit V2.

Stamina Badge – A device that enables Noctis to sprint and hang without expending stamina.
  • If you don't have the Royal Raiment DLC, then this is good alternative.

Just finished the story last night.  Whoa.  Confusing even to a person like me who has really paid attention to the story all the way through, including Kingsglaive, Brotherhood, the prologue script, etc.  When you understand the story (thanks to a couple of youtube vids), it is rather beautiful. 

It's going to be hard going back to do the end game content after such an emotional closing to the story. 

Beat the game recently and I enjoyed my time with it. The combat was way simpler than I had thought (was expecting Kingdom Hearts combat) and was not a fan of it at first, but it grew on me. Having wait mode on made things a bit easier, especially when there are a ton of mobs on screen. One thing that annoyed me was characters would get damaged by magic spells (remedied by the recent Holiday pack with an item that prevents that) which limited my magic use. I rarely even used magic or the Royal Arms throughout my adventure since I felt like not much weapon switching was necessary. Another thing was the shrubbery when in combat, they block your view to what is going on and it seems like mobs where put there on purpose to make it a hindrance.  

The story really drew me in and I got attached to the characters (spoilers coming up)...

Chapter 9 when you finally get to Altissia to meet Luna and then she gets shanked was a big WTF moment for me in the game since this was a character you are traveling for and she gets barely any screen time and then POOF....she gone. After that, onions were cut front of me quite often. Finding out what happened to Ignis after the Leviathan event, seeing what happens when you reach to Tennabrae, the little girl coming to you after speaking with the maid, the ending ending (before  you see the logo for XV).

The trailers made more sense now too...sort of (the one where Regis is holding young Noctis in the rain, Dawn trailer). At first, I thought Regis was sad that he would be burdening his son when he becomes king since his life force is being sucked out by having the city barrier up and lending his powers to his servants. Also as to why he looks way older now compared to initial trailers. Then you find out Noctis is the "Chosen One" and this trailer hurts a little more since Regis is pretty much raising his son to die to get rid of the scourge.

How did Noctis is even get to be the Chosen One? Not sure if it was explained properly other than the previous kings and Bahamut just pointed to him. He would have been the 114th king (you see CXIV and his name in the scene before the logo shows up). There were 13 Royal Arms to collect (11 Tombs, the trident Genetia gives you and Regis's sword), wondering if being the 114th successor has anything to do with it, but doubt it. Also, it looked like the Lucis Caelum line ended with Noctis. I guess for story sake, he eliminates the scourge, and his family line is not needed anymore.

The part where you choose the photo to take with you to the boss was little emotional too since all your adventures had to accumulate to one photo event. IMO makes the whole photo mechanic with Prompto work. At first it was a gimmick to add more to the game, but that little bit adds more emotion to the story.

TLDR: Emotion, questions, even more incoherent EMOTION!

Hopefully the DLC will be good and does not turn out the like DLC for Dead Rising 3.

I'm only on Chapter 6 and at Level 54. Taking my sweet time and enjoying the game. Might have to pick it up because I want to complete Dragon Age and Nioh before Mass Effect comes out.

After absorbing the ending for a few days, I think I'm going to go for platinum.  It doesn't seem that hard really.  I hear there are some good strategies fro Adamantoise out there. 

Finished the story last night and despite a few things being telegraphed(it's an FF game afterall), it still left me a bit somber at the end eventhough Chapter 9 didn't really hit me that hard.

The only things left on the platinum are the skills, flying car, and adamantoise and I'm not sure if I want to grind out another 10-15 hours on the game.

Final Fantasy XV in-game ‘Moogle Chocobo Carnival’ begins January 24

"The Moogle Chocobo Carnival within Final Fantasy XV will begin on January 23 at 5:00 p.m. PT / 8:00 p.m. ET / January 24 at 1:00 a.m. GMT / 10:00 a.m. JST

The Moogle Chocobo Carnival will be held in Altissia, and features event-exclusive mini-games and water chocobo races in addition to the appearance of the Square Enix Cafe in the game."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s22a8K4MxbM

I'm level 58 and getting destroyed in Costlemark Tower... What's the quickest way to level up? I haven't tried creating any spells with the experience bonus built-in yet but I'm guessing that's the way to go.

bread's done
Back