Format War - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - *Its Over...Toshiba Swings White Flag*

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea besides star trek i guess..

i guess you can call it an experiment since i thought they did that because they did not release the set on dvd.

Either way if they would kill the dvd side it would of been cheaper.

Hopefully it got the star trek nerds to jump aboard.

[quote name='mykevermin']:lol:

I'll see your :roll: and raise you a :roll: for your inability to successfully interpret what Onkyo means by "when it's gone, it's gone."

So :roll:.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and they could have made 10 or 100,000 for all we know :roll:
I'm sure they went through all the trouble of assembling these units, making manuals, boxes etc. just to sell 1,000 of them to the U.S. market. Hell, they could have made more Onkyo's then Sony made of the BDP-1 which was replaced 4 months after it launched. Or the Samsung 1000. Or any other of a CE's first Blu-ray player that was replaced so damn fast.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']I just noticed in a commercial that Bourne Ultimatum is being released as a combo disc, I thought they were going to stop doing that or is that just Warner?[/QUOTE]

Universal is doing Combos for 4 out of 5 of their Day and Date releases.
Warner is doing Combos for 4 out of 5 of their Day and Date releases.

Warner and Universal both have pretty much dropped the 'Combo' format for catalog titles (Army of Darkness for example was a Combo, as was many other catalog releases. All have been, or will be replaced with HD DVD only versions).

Paramount only has one Combo title, and its Star Trek Season 1.

[quote name='dallow']What is it? Work always blocks the links you post with the CAG affiliate link stuff.[/QUOTE]

Weird, I just posted the link directly to the Wal-Mart page.
Its the Venturer Player now in-stock at Wal-Mart.com for $199.99. Looks like the U.S. stores might be carrying this very soon and hopefully continuing with the $99 price. The Venturer is just an A3 inside of a different shell.

Yeah rodeo, and outselling HD DVD almost 3:1.

And gizmo, I really don't see those players going to $99.
Walmart isn't going to take a loss like that for anything other than super sales.

[quote name='dallow']Yeah rodeo, and outselling HD DVD almost 3:1.

[/QUOTE]

And don't many HD DVD owners import european movies that are not released in the states? I wonder how many of those HD DVD sales were to Europeans and how many were exported.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Weird, I just posted the link directly to the Wal-Mart page.
Its the Venturer Player now in-stock at Wal-Mart.com for $199.99. Looks like the U.S. stores might be carrying this very soon and hopefully continuing with the $99 price. The Venturer is just an A3 inside of a different shell.[/QUOTE]

Sell at $99 based upon what, exactly? The A3 isn't listed on Wal-Mart's website, the HD-A2 is $250, and the BDP-S300 is $350 online, a full $40 cheaper than it was in the last B&M store I was in this week.

And another point to the Gizmo "wishful thinking" column.

[quote name='GizmoGC']http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7942216

Hopefully Wal-Mart will lower the price in-store for these. Much like the A2, these will fly off the shelves.[/QUOTE]

The A2 is $250 at WM right now.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Yes, and they could have made 10 or 100,000 for all we know :roll:
I'm sure they went through all the trouble of assembling these units, making manuals, boxes etc. just to sell 1,000 of them to the U.S. market. Hell, they could have made more Onkyo's then Sony made of the BDP-1 which was replaced 4 months after it launched. Or the Samsung 1000. Or any other of a CE's first Blu-ray player that was replaced so damn fast.[/QUOTE]

:lol: We'll see how many they made. :lol:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Looks like I'll be looking for a refurb Onkyo to fit my budget:
http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=TX-SR605&modelid=75&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=1
$399 still a bit too much for me right now though.[/quote]

yea i thought the refurb price was lower than this...

still kinda $$$

its 349- $10 onkyo points= 339

the back looks insane
51oFTFZPIoL._SS400_.jpg

where does the sub plug into?

[quote name='guyver2077']yea i thought the refurb price was lower than this...

still kinda $$$

its 349- $10 onkyo points= 339[/quote]Sucks, as it used to be $299 after registering.
Maybe it's on a case by case basis, depending on condition of the refurb.

[quote name='guyver2077']where does the sub plug into?[/quote]
TX-SR605B_rear.jpg

Into the Purple RCA on the grey background next to the clips for zone 2 speakers.

[quote name='guyver2077']the back looks insane[/quote] If you think that's insane, try this:
TX-NR905B_rear.jpg

/shameless plug. :D

[quote name='geko29']
TX-SR605B_rear.jpg

Into the Purple RCA on the grey background next to the clips for zone 2 speakers.

If you think that's insane, try this:
TX-NR905B_rear.jpg

/shameless plug. :D[/quote]

That is ridiculous.

I'm very sure guyver, it was a silver SR605 for $299 a few weeks ago.

And geko, that 905 is a thing of beauty.

[quote name='guyver']ok i see it.. and that pretty much confirms that my current sub wont work with this receiver[/QUOTE]This just means you buy a new sub.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Wow that thing is a monster! Just realized that refurbs don't come with cables either...ugh.[/quote]

i thought i read somewhere that stock cables suck anyways.. (may not be the case for onkyo though)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Wow that thing is a monster! Just realized that refurbs don't come with cables either...ugh.[/quote]I think the most you get is maybe one optical or one coax cable.

Get your butt to monoprice.

[quote name='dallow']I think the most you get is maybe one optical or one coax cable.

Get your butt to monoprice.[/quote]

Oh, that's not bad then.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Wow that thing is a monster! Just realized that refurbs don't come with cables either...ugh.[/quote] ???

NEW ones don't come with cables. Well, the 805, 875 and 905 come with a power cable. And the FM antenna is a cable of sorts. The AM antenna and setup mic come attached to cables. But there are no RCA, toslink, speaker, or HDMI cables in the box, if that's what you're referring to.

That's where monoprice comes in. I replaced ALL of my cables with new ones from Monoprice when I installed my new reciever (some were in pretty sad shape--especially the speaker wires), and the total bill came to under $100, for all "premium" cables. The basic ones should work just as well and are even cheaper.

Here's mine
sa-dx1050.jpg

Technics DX-SA1050 [Panasonic]

It's all about the 5.1 .

I couldn't find a pic of the back , your not missing anything special .

[quote name='Richlough']Here's mine

Technics DX-SA1050 [Panasonic]

It's all about the 5.1 .

I couldn't find a pic of the back , your not missing anything special .[/QUOTE]

Not much difference here, this is what I am running 5.1 as well:

022e_1.JPG

Sony STR DE675

Independence Day has been delayed 5 days before it was suppose to be released. Way to go, Fox! I really think the only reason Fox announces titles is to get people to buy into Blu-ray and the hopes they forget about about announced titles.

First, 20th Century Fox has sent over a statement about the forthcoming release of Independence Day on Blu-ray Disc. The title had been set for release on 12/4, but has now been pushed back to March 2008. Here's the reason why according to the studio:

"We realize the forums have been whipped into a frenzy, so here are the facts: While putting Independence Day through our regular and rigorous QC process, we detected a minor glitch. Even though 95% of users would likely not know or encounter it, we chose to do the right thing and remaster, which necessitates moving the release date. It is now scheduled for a March release."

So there you have it.

QC 5 days before release? BS reason Fox, BS.

[quote name='dallow']It's piss poor for HD DVD in Europe.
Especially now with PS3 gaining steam there.[/QUOTE]

Since none of us actually live in the UK, here is a poster from AVS who does:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=12338849&postcount=3169
Europe has a very specific context:

First of all, HD TV sets used to be rather expensive up until recently. They're now projecting very solid sales for the holidays. This, in turn, will grow the hi-def formats some more.

You have to understand that sports - and not movies - is the main vector to sell HD screens. And for the 1st half of 2007, the truth is that there weren't so many HD events on television. But since the early Fall, things are now different. Many games of the Euro soccer championships (like the Premier League, the Bundesliga, the L1 and clearly the Champions League) are in HD, and these TV packages are heavily advertised.

When we come to movies, the selections of Blu-ray and HD DVD is still more limited than in the USA. Retailers are now making some efforts to promote HD, but in some countries the theatrical windows are keeping some blockbusters off the shelf. For instance Transformers won't be released in France before end of February. And your BOGO and other promotions are definitely sexier than ours.

HD DVD really has a more limited selection of hot titles compared to the US. The only exception seems to be Germany, because of some coproduction deals with Hollywood that involve companies that appear friendlier with HD DVD. But in the UK and France, Blu-ray has a very solid edge. The Spidey saga and POTC3 are out now, and if it weren't for Warner, HD DVD wouldn't have many blockbusters. And this sales difference is clearly playing in Blu-ray's favor, for the publishers that are sitting on the fences right now.

And also, you have to consider in the gaming department, Europe has always been Sony's and Nintendo's 2nd home turf. The UK is the only country where the X360 sells quite well. So you won't see any drastic increases in HD DVD's add-ons because the nature of the market is quite different. On the other hand, the PS3 appears to be selling well with its discounted price, and at least a few of these buyers will buy some BD movies as well.

And finally, many european countries have specific laws that regulate or forbid sales below cost. It would be extremely difficult -- if not impossible -- for Toshiba to sell a player at 99 Euros, unless they'd be willing to open their accounting books and show that this isn't dumping.

All in all, I think that you should expect an increase of sales and numbers in the next few months. But according to the actual trends, Blu-ray should be the main beneficiary.

Did Gizmogc actually post something positive about BD without following it up with some sort of spin involving standalone sales, attach rates, etc. ?

[quote name='Richlough']Wow , it's like you wait for him to post anything , like some sort of Pavlovian dogs .[/QUOTE]

Silly.. dogs can't post.

Semi-official numbers for last week are out. 73:27. I missed by one point (74:26). LFODH did almost 100k and was obviously the best-selling title. I imagine we'll have to wait for the rest until friday.

[quote name='geko29']Semi-official numbers for last week are out. 73:27. I missed by one point (74:26). LFODH did almost 100k and was obviously the best-selling title. I imagine we'll have to wait for the rest until friday.[/QUOTE]

100k? Really? Boy, oh, boy, my finger is not on the pulse of the American people.

:lol:

[quote name='guyver2077']fuck.. i wanted independence day[/quote]
Me too, but with so many games/movies I would have been so cash strapped I couldn't buy it anyways.

So all that posts says is that in favors Blu-ray right now, and that with the PS3 being so popular in europe it will only continue to grow as the PS3 sells more than than the 360, which the add-on is it's top seller?

Is that different than anything we have been saying? Europe = SonyLand.

And Geko, so the week before LFODH was 65:35? Wow. Anyways, be interesting to see, but I think Bourne week will be the first week Blu-ray loses. And rightfully so, that was an awesome movie.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=704
The Blu-ray website for Buena Vista Home Entertainment France has an interesting list of titles set to be released in 2008. Most notably is the Disney classic 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?'. Also displayed on the website are covers for 'Starsky and Hutch', 'The Recruit', 'March of the Penguins', and 'Coyote Ugly'.

No specs have been announced at this time, but we do have some pretty covers to stare at:

I might have to import Roger Rabbit...

[quote name='GizmoGC']

QC 5 days before release? BS reason Fox, BS.[/QUOTE]

Yea, this is the 8th title Fox has canceled since September out of 20 they announced would be released this year.

What kind of minor glitch takes 4 months to fix?

Oh and not having enough time to make unrated blu ray of DH4, disks not working on most players (even tho they have a "regular and rigorous QC process"), delaying most MGM titles, etc.

Wonder if they'll just disappear like last year.

After watching the first reason of House on regular DVD and watching re-runs on HD on Fox, I really wish Universal had pulled their head out of their ass and just released it on HD DVD. Especially since Season one on DVD is framed wrong anyway.

Kudos to Disney. It took a while, but they've corrected the framing error in POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl that resulted in 7 minutes of people with no heads. The title has been reframed, re-transferred, and is being pressed now.

Corrected discs should start showing up on retailer shelves by the end of the year, and they'll also be offering a phone-in exchange for those of us who have the "bad" version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back