Format War - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - *Its Over...Toshiba Swings White Flag*

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='dallow']I'm not sure what the cheapest 1.1 receiver is (which would get you LPCM sound from your player, geko?)[/quote] Yup, HDMI 1.1 will get you LPCM audio from any format that your player supports (so everything except DTS-HD HR/MA at the moment).

[quote name='dallow']but the cheapest 1.3 receiver which decodes hi-rez tracks themselves is the Onkyo 605, which is the $350-$450 range depending on sale.[/quote] Yeah, $429 w/free shipping is as cheap as I've seen it lately. Both Crutchfield and Amazon have it for that price.

[quote name='dallow'] EDIT:You can get the Harman Kardon 247 for less than 3 bills refurbished on ebay from the authorized HK retailer.
It's 1.1 so you can send LPCM to it.[/quote] Unfortunately, while I've heard they sound great, I've also heard an awful lot of reports that they're unreliable, and HK support is piss poor. I'd personally steer clear of new, and run screaming from refurbs.

However, the Onkyo 604 (HDMI 1.1) is available for $299 direct from Onkyo, less $10 for joining their club, also with free shipping. So $329 if you want it with a 2-year extended warranty. Not a bad deal at all.

[quote name='mykevermin']I really hate to keep this argument going, but how much did you pay for your 360?[/QUOTE]

So you just asked me a question and didn't really want an answer ?

You're not importing enough, guys!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071127/tc_nm/bluray_sales_dc

LONDON (Reuters) - High definition movie DVDs in the Blu-ray format have outsold the rival HD DVD standard in Europe this year, breaking the 1 million barrier and constituting 73 percent of all HD movie discs sold.
Of the high definition movie discs bought by consumers so far this year in Europe, 73 percent were in the Blu-ray Disc format and 27 percent were HD DVD, according to sales data provided by Media Control Gfk International.

So looks like I need to keep an eye on the Onkyo 605 then. Hopefully by Spring '08 it should drop in price enough for me to pick one up. Thanks dallow and geko.

[quote name='Richlough']I thought you said "it's not about movies. "

Have you done your part and purchased your Blu-Ray burner yet ?[/quote]That doesn't even make sense.

It isn't about the movies for me, or the studios, or whatever.
Just the better optical disc.

So any news that my optical disc is doing better than your optical disc, is tres bien!

I'm looking into the combo BD/HD DVD drive for my HTPC.

They wish they were.
You haven't seen the whines of all the poor Euro users on other boards.

They pay double for their movies, and they have to like it!

[quote name='dallow']That doesn't even make sense.

It isn't about the movies for me, or the studios, or whatever.
Just the better optical disc.

So any news that my optical disc is doing better than your optical disc, is tres bien!

I'm looking into the combo BD/HD DVD drive for my HTPC.[/QUOTE]

I bought an Xbox add on with 6 free movies for $180 , Blu-Ray couldn't touch that price .

For me it's about movies , not disc capacity .

Well, for me it isn't. It's about better tech.
If it was about the movies, I'd stick with DVD.

And the add-on is the last option I'd ever choose for an HD DVD player.

[quote name='dallow']Well, for me it isn't. It's about better tech.

And the add-on is the last option I'd ever choose for an HD DVD player.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's why God made us different , we're all special . ;)

[quote name='Richlough']I bought an Xbox add on with 6 free movies for $180 , Blu-Ray couldn't touch that price .

For me it's about movies , not disc capacity .[/quote]
Well, add to that the price of the required Xbox 360 to use the add-on with, and the gap doesn't look that wide

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Well, add to that the price of the required Xbox 360 to use the add-on with, and now your point is voided.[/QUOTE]

This has to be the worst argument known to man about the cost of an HD DVD player. I really wish people would drop it.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Well, add to that the price of the required Xbox 360 to use the add-on with, and now your point doesn't hold much ground.[/QUOTE]Can't you use it with a PC too?

[quote name='munch']This has to be the worst argument known to man about the cost of an HD DVD player. I really wish people would drop it.[/quote]
Really? I'm just going off the mentality of your average joe.

I don't care about cost of the player.
Cost of amassing a library is more worrying.

I should have stuck to renting movies.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Well, add to that the price of the required Xbox 360 to use the add-on with, and now your point doesn't hold much ground.[/quote]
Not really. I don't know about Richlough but I've had my X360 since launch, now at launch time I didn't buy my console thinking that someday I'd get a XBOX360 HD DVD player, since it wasn't announced then, no one knew about it at that time.

I bought it for the games. Now fast foward to HD DVD and Blu-Ray surfacing...

Option A: Buy an XBOX360 HD DVD player for $180
Option B: Buy a Blu-Ray player for 700-1000 (I forget what the cheapest player was)
Option C: Wait for the PS3 to release and get a PS3 w/built in BR player for $499-599

It has never made sense to throw in the XBOX360's price into the equation, specially since it has so many best sellers (games), and if someone really wanted an XBOX360 HD DVD player for the purpose of only watching movies, why would they spend $350 + $180 for a 1080p add on when they can get a 3rd gen standalone for under $300?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Not really. I don't know about Richlough but I've had my X360 since launch, now at launch time I didn't buy my console thinking that someday I'd get a XBOX360 HD DVD player, since it wasn't announced then, no one knew about it at that time.

I bought it for the games. Now fast foward to HD DVD and Blu-Ray surfacing...

Option A: Buy an XBOX360 HD DVD player for $180
Option B: Buy a Blu-Ray player for 700-1000 (I forget what the cheapest player was)
Option C: Wait for the PS3 to release and get a PS3 w/built in BR player for $499-599

It has never made sense to throw in the XBOX360's price into the equation, specially since it has so many best sellers (games), and if someone really wanted an XBOX360 HD DVD player for the purpose of only watching movies, why would they spend $350 + $180 for a 1080p add on when they can get a 3rd gen standalone for under $300?[/quote]

Yea, I see what your saying.

[quote name='Richlough']Yeah , I didn't buy them at the same time .

So how awesome are games that come on BR discs selling ? ;)[/quote]About as well as when the 360 had the same size console install base.

[quote name='dallow']About as well as when the 360 had the same size console install base.[/quote]

I seriously doubt that. The attach rate of games per console was phenomenal when we had the same install base as the PS3 currently does. Go to any store right now...you'll see that everyone has a surplus amount of AAA titles on the PS3 and barely any, if not sold out on the XBOX360. This goes back to when I stopped by TRU to pick up Mario Galaxy and the R Zone rep, informed me that Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty 4 sold out on XBOX360 but they had plenty for the PS3. I'm not basing my whole statement on that though, there was statistics when the XBOX360 came out about the attach rates, I'm pretty sure that the PS3 is not doing as well as the XBOX360 was doing throughout its first year.

Hmm, people picking up AC and CoD4 on 360 rather than PS3?

That's crazy.

People picking up titles on a next gen system that had no competition it's first year?

Nah.

It's funny how this always dips back into a games debate once in a while :p

Seriously though, as old as this argument may get, it still is true.

The 360 came out as the first next-gen system, and had a year's time to get people on the bandwagon. This, despite their hardware blunders, was the only move they could make to ensure they would have the upper hand in the comeptition.

The PS3 simply suffered from bad timing and pricing when it entered the market.

[quote name='dallow']Hmm, people picking up AC and CoD4 on 360 rather than PS3?

That's crazy.

People picking up titles on a next gen system that had no competition it's first year?

Nah.[/quote]

I don't see how you say its crazy. CoD4 shines with online play and anyone that has both consoles knows that XBOX Live kills PSN, no question about it. So a consumer that has both consoles and has XBOX Live with no doubt in my mind would choose the XBOX360 version over the PS3 one if they were looking to go online and frag.

As for AC...not sure...maybe achievements? They are a selling point for some people, they can be addiciting. I consider myself somewhat of an achievement whore.

[quote name='dallow']Foolproof![/QUOTE]

I can update my livecard with any game I say I own .
Too bad you couldn't do the same , oh well maybe in 4.0 .

I know it isn't crazy.
I know most people choose the 360 version over the PS3.
This time around, there's competition.

[quote name='rich']I can update my livecard with any game I say I own .
Too bad you couldn't do the same , oh well maybe in 4.0 .[/quote]

Or any game you rent huh? I don't care to share my gaming habits.
Which are laughable in the last few years.
I mostly play handhelds.
I spend much, MUCH more on music than I do on games or movies.

I'm not an acheivement whore.

[quote name='Richlough']How about on 12/31/07 I'll tell you how many 360 games I own and you tell me how many PS3 games you own on 12/31/08 ?[/quote]

Sounds like a deal ;O

[quote name='Richlough']Its a legitamate BR issue .

Blame Sony .[/quote]

Heh, this is how I see it.

Sony had interwoven goals with the PS3 and Blu Ray.

They wanted to get in on the Hi-Def market, but knew just going on that front would probably result in them losing, so they made it the format of choice for their console to push their proprietory format on two fronts, hoping to overwhelm the competition with their product's versatility.

It would have worked and finished things off in due time, but they just had miscues that really set them back. Now they're getting back in the groove but finding it harder than they expected, like the saying goes, "Easier said than done", especially when you have allowed the competition to get a head start on both fronts.

[quote name='dallow']I know it isn't crazy.
I know most people choose the 360 version over the PS3.
This time around, there's competition.

Or any game you rent huh?
I'm not an acheivement whore.[/QUOTE]

I've only rented one game , TMNT .
I have 30+ games .

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I don't see how you say its crazy. CoD4 shines with online play and anyone that has both consoles knows that XBOX Live kills PSN, no question about it. So a consumer that has both consoles and has XBOX Live with no doubt in my mind would choose the XBOX360 version over the PS3 one if they were looking to go online and frag.

As for AC...not sure...maybe achievements? They are a selling point for some people, they can be addiciting. I consider myself somewhat of an achievement whore.[/quote]

I'm not too familiar with the whole networking thing, but what are the main differences between Live and PSN?

[quote name='Richlough']How about on 12/31/07 I'll tell you how many 360 games I own and you tell me how many PS3 games you own on 12/31/08 ?[/QUOTE]

Not if the world doesn't implode by then due to "I Know Who Killed Me" becoming the bestselling HDM ever.

PSN is free and does not have in game friends lists, live costs money but does have in game friend lists.

You think that COD4 and Assassins Creed would be easier to sell out on a console that has a higher install base.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I'm not too familiar with the whole networking thing, but what are the main differences between Live and PSN?[/quote]

PM sent.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I'm not too familiar with the whole networking thing, but what are the main differences between Live and PSN?[/QUOTE]

A bunch of 11 year olds calling you a nigger.

[quote name='rodeojones903']A bunch of 11 year olds calling you a nigger.[/quote]

dont forget the gay bashings.

why doesn't Sony release all their movies to blu ray?

I wanted to get The Nines in blu ray, but it looks like they're only bringing it to SD, but they're bringing Daddy Day Camp to Blu ray.

and it looks like fox isn't bringing Death Sentence or Joshua to Blu Ray in the US.

doesn't seem like they're as dedicated to the format as they say

[quote name='dallow']You're right, Fox and Sony have given up on Blu Ray.[/QUOTE]

that's not really what i said

but all 3 of the movies had releases in theater (2 limited, one wide)

stuff like Daddy Day Camp ends up on blu ray

why not these?

What's the point of pushing a format as the future when you're not even supporting it with 100% of your new releases?

Its not like these movies are direct to DVD sequels

I know, I'm sorry.
Just a bit grumpy as I might be losing my job.
Just search Citigroup at any news site.

Erm, not sure why they don't release more worthwhile material on BD.
All studios have gold they're sitting on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back