Format War - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - *Its Over...Toshiba Swings White Flag*

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='mykevermin']How 'bout them POTC sales? Or Ratatouille? Now, of course, it's not a blockbuster in HDM sales like Shrek 3 is turning out to be (tee hee), but it's somewhat substantial. Right?

Then don't comment on it. I didn't list a single game, exclusive or otherwise. I'm merely pointing out the absurdity of such a viewpoint. It's like me saying I couldn't find a single iota of a redeeming quality of any Republican candidate ever, because I hate them all so much. It is true that I hate them all substantially (or their platform at least), but to claim that, in no uncertain terms, there has never been nor will there ever be a Republican plan I agree with in the slightest? That's absurd, and the kind of thing someone says when they surely want to have to publicly correct themselves at some point in their lives.
[/QUOTE]

So you won't be voting for Ron Paul?! :(

Can't you see Republicans and Democrats are both two sides of the same coin, both slinging bullshit to you but truly doing jackshit to help our economy. These are the people that have no problem selling our country up the river by supporting Iraq which further devaluates our currency and leaves us ripe sometime in the future to embrace the garbage and shame that is the Amero. Remember when this started when the Amero comes along and takes over the dollar's role. Remember when the dollar use to be a strong currency to stack up against the Japanese Yen and perhaps even the Euro. We need to do the only sensible thing and get rid of the Fed. That will be the first step towards healing our country.
R I'm surprised as Sony seems to be the only company for contemporary HDM that really wants to provide a great variety of titles. Oh and R Fox hasn't made any effort for foreign titles but neither has any big studio except for Sony really.

As for Sony, The Nines would cost 10x as much to put out as the revenue it would generate. It BARELY made sixty grand at the box office. Daddy Day Camp was a complete and utter bomb, but made 263 times that much in ticket sales.

Fox isn't as dedicated to the format as Sony. They've released less than half as many titles as Sony has, and didn't release a single one for six months. I can't say why they won't release Death Sentence, other than they think it won't sell enough copies to recoup their investment. Joshua, with a half-million at the box office, is a guaranteed loser money-wise.

The installed base isn't big enough to justify the release of a lot of niche titles. It makes no sense to spend a quarter to a half million dollars to release a disc that sells less than a thousand copies, at a margin of MAYBE $8. For example, "Mutiny on the Bounty", which is a verifiable classic, had only sold 662 copies as of a few months ago. That's a big-time money loser, which no one except Sony is even remotely interested in doing right now.

[quote name='geko29']As for Sony, The Nines would cost 10x as much to put out as the revenue it would generate. It BARELY made sixty grand at the box office. Daddy Day Camp was a complete and utter bomb, but made 263 times that much in ticket sales.

That's a big-time money loser, which no one except Sony is even remotely interested in doing right now.[/QUOTE]

Which is why Sony should release "The Nines" if it's a D&D title period. They've released "Warriors Of Heaven and Earth", "Curse Of the Golden Flower", "Paprika", "House Of Flying Daggers", "Black Book" and "Tekkon Kinkreet". These titles may not make as much now but they will go a long way towards attracting certain movie lovers to the format.
As it stands now I wish I had the money right now to buy a PS3 because I'm desperate to watch most of these titles in HD. I love Wuxia period as well as wanting Animation in HD which everyone but Sony seems to be missing in their HD selection here pretty much.

I figured The Nines was too small of a movie, but I read it was already mastered in HD so that would cut down on production costs. I was hoping we were to the point where every movie from Sony would get day and date HD release.

Joshua I thought might get it because it did pretty well at Sundance and got a decent sized release. Death Sentence I thought for sure, maybe Fox is just slow on announcing it.

Maybe Fox doesn't have time with the 100 titles they plan to bring to Blu Ray in 2008.

sucks about citigroup, i'm an actuary and we've been dealing with a lot of mortgage companies for like 6 months now. they're all screwed.

[quote name='rsigley']I figured The Nines was too small of a movie, but I read it was already mastered in HD so that would cut down on production costs. I was hoping we were to the point where every movie from Sony would get day and date HD release.

Joshua I thought might get it because it did pretty well at Sundance and got a decent sized release. Death Sentence I thought for sure, maybe Fox is just slow on announcing it.

Maybe Fox doesn't have time with the 100 titles they plan to bring to Blu Ray in 2008.

sucks about citigroup, i'm an actuary and we've been dealing with a lot of mortgage companies for like 6 months now. they're all screwed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they should keep dallow. They have enough money since they're owned by the Rockefellers or another set of old money as rich.

[quote name='Sarang01']Which is why Sony should release "The Nines" if it's a D&D title period. They've released "Warriors Of Heaven and Earth", "Curse Of the Golden Flower", "Paprika", "House Of Flying Daggers", "Black Book" and "Tekkon Kinkreet".
These titles may not make as much now but they will go a long way towards attracting certain movie lovers to the format.[/quote]
"Warriors Of Heaven and Earth", "Tekkon Kinkreet" and "Paprika" I can't explain. Not one of them made $1M at the box office--either they think there's a bigger audience on home video, or they think that fans of these types of movies will be profitible customers to draw in.

"Curse Of the Golden Flower" made $75.8 million, "Black Book" made $23.5M, and "House of Flying Daggers" made $92.9M. All hits in their own right, and will probably at least break even on Blu-Ray, which makes them relatively attractive releases for Sony--it's a low-risk, cheap way to increase the size of the library.

[quote name='Sarang01']As it stands now I wish I had the money right now to buy a PS3 because I'm desperate to watch most of these titles in HD. I love Wuxia period as well as wanting Animation in HD which everyone but Sony seems to be missing in their HD selection here pretty much.[/quote]
Fox, Disney, Warner, and Paramount all have Animation titles out as well. Unless you're referring to foreign-language animation, then I guess you have a point.

[quote name='geko29']"Warriors Of Heaven and Earth", "Tekkon Kinkreet" and "Paprika" I can't explain. Not one of them made $1M at the box office--either they think there's a bigger audience on home video, or they think that fans of these types of movies will be profitible customers to draw in.

"Curse Of the Golden Flower" made $75.8 million, "Black Book" made $23.5M, and "House of Flying Daggers" made $92.9M. All hits in their own right, and will probably at least break even on Blu-Ray, which makes them relatively attractive releases for Sony--it's a low-risk, cheap way to increase the size of the library.

Fox, Disney, Warner, and Paramount all have Animation titles out as well. Unless you're referring to foreign-language animation, then I guess you have a point.[/QUOTE]

Yes they do but it's not hand drawn(what's being released now) which is what I really want. I could care less about CGI done for kids. As it stands the ONLY CGI flick I'm excited about getting on Blu-Ray is FF: The Spirits Within'. Pixar should've taken a lesson from Square on how to do CGI.

[quote name='HD DVD Promotional Group']
LOS ANGELES, Nov. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Following landmark Black Friday
promotions through major retail chains, the North American HD DVD
Promotional Group today announced that sales of dedicated HD DVD players
exceeded the 750,000 mark. The data is based on retailer reports and other
point of sale data, and includes standalone set-top players as well as the
Xbox 360 HD DVD player.[/quote]
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/11-27-2007/0004711631&EDATE=

That's impressive, though with the PS3 not counting towards Blu-Ray's numbers we really don't know how many Playstation 3 players were sold with the intent of watching Blu-Rays.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That's impressive, though with the PS3 not counting towards Blu-Ray's numbers we really don't know how many Playstation 3 players were sold with the intent of watching Blu-Rays.[/quote]Now you're talking!

That's what really sucks numberswise though, it's why Sony is focused on software vs hardware. They know how many PS3's are out there and they know that if the software is cheap enough *cough*Bi-Weekly BOGOF*cough* they can push BR sales to show other studios, how well they are selling, when in reality, without official numbers, attatch rates, this war is FUBAR and I think its why we still don't have an official winner even after one year and why we may end up with dual format players as the norm with red & blue being the format to win over DVD.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Kind of sad that HD-DVD has to do sales to gain marketshare. ;)[/quote] I was going to respond with a pithy comment about other ways to gain marketshare before I saw the smiley and realized that line had nothing to do with me. :)

[quote name='H.Cornerstone'] Anyways, I am wondering if I should rent Rescue Dawn, I hear it's a good transfer and movie but I don't know If I want a movie that is depressing and tortorous.[/quote] I know nothing about it, and hadn't even heard of it until a few days ago. Don't know how many depressing films I need in my library right now though, I just got The Deer Hunter yesterday.

Edit: just read the synopsis on HighDefDigest. Definitely sounds like a good'un, but I'll probably wait a while on it, considering my recent acquisition.

I hadn't heard of Rescue Dawn until I read the review.
Don't know how it slipped past me, I'm usually on top of Christian Bale..... erm.

[quote name='geko29']I was going to respond with a pithy comment about other ways to gain marketshare before I saw the smiley and realized that line had nothing to do with me. :)

I know nothing about it, and hadn't even heard of it until a few days ago. Don't know how many depressing films I need in my library right now though, I just got The Deer Hunter yesterday.

Edit: just read the synopsis on HighDefDigest. Definitely sounds like a good'un, but I'll probably wait a while on it, considering my recent acquisition.[/quote]
Which recent acquisition? And considering how you are the most neutral person in this thread and were the only HD-DVd supporter to give the BDA credit for outselling HD-DVD the transformers week, no it wasn't. :D

and dallow, rofl, poor word choice. I had heard of it before and wanted to see in theaters, but I knew I couldn't drag anyone with me so now I must rent it on blu-ray along with 3:10 to Yuma.

[quote name='dallow']I hadn't heard of Rescue Dawn until I read the review.
Don't know how it slipped past me, I'm usually on top of Christian Bale..... erm.[/quote]

music024.gif

In all seriousness though, I remember seeing the previews for the movie in theaters but I never saw it released, I was shocked to see it on the shelves at Target this past weekend.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
music024.gif

In all seriousness though, I remember seeing the previews for the movie in theaters but I never saw it released, I was shocked to see it on the shelves at Target this past weekend.[/QUOTE]

it came out around july 4th

i remember seeing it then

dunno why it didn't do good at the box office, kind of flew under the radar even though critics loved it

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Which recent acquisition?[/quote]
Sorry, should have been clearer, that was meant to reflect back on the previous paragraph. The new acquisition is "The Deer Hunter". An amazingly well-written, well-shot, well-directed, and incredibly well-acted drama that is SO good it's almost impossible to watch. I first saw it 6 or 7 years ago on DVD, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to watch it again, but Universal deserves my money for putting out such an amazing film on HD DVD regardless.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']And considering how you are the most neutral person in this thread and were the only HD-DVd supporter to give the BDA credit for outselling HD-DVD the transformers week, no it wasn't. :D[/quote]
I appreciate the kind words. :)

Ruined posted this on our XBOX360 HD DVD thread:

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2007/11/which_is_more_consumer_friendly_hd_dvd_or_blu-ray.php

Very interesting read...here's the important stuff:
Which Is More Consumer Friendly: HD DVD or Blu-Ray?
No, this is not the standard HD DVD vs. Blu-ray article that you may be used to reading. I am not declaring a "winner" because I think we are at a point now where neither camp is going away. Instead, this article explains which format I believe is the better choice for the consumer (you) this holiday season. Could that change a year from now? Sure, but I want to help you decide what to buy this year.
This article is not written in an attempt to convince anyone who has already made an investment one way or the other, for that is an almost impossible feat. It was written for those that are still "on the fence", as they say. It is for those who are either undecided, or are waiting to see which one will come out ahead (or which will be first to waive the white flag). It's time to hop down off of that fence.
Why HD DVD?

My reasoning below is not based on which format has higher bitrate or more capacity, nor is it based on which one has more studios in its pocket, or more titles on the shelves ... as all those are about equal when you're looking at the screen. The reason I am recommending HD DVD is for the benefit to the consumer ... you.
  • Standardization - No matter what player you buy, it will play all HD DVD titles with full features. Since HD DVD players began shipping, they have had one standard set of requirements for their players. 100% of the HD DVD players on the market today must support a minimum set of features. I've listed below some of the features that are guaranteed to be on all HD DVD players, but might not be on all Blu-ray players:
    • Support of Dolby Digital Plus
    • Support of Dolby TrueHD
    • 2nd video decoder
    • 2nd audio decoder
    • Internet support (network connection)
    • Region Free
  • Less Copy Protection - The HD DVD specification requires no copyright enforcement. The Advanced Access Content System (AACS) is mandatory for Blu-ray and optional for HD DVD, although many studios are using it. Blu-ray also includes additional content protection schemes such as BD+ and ROM-Mark watermarking. Each of these layers of protection add a level of complexity to the players and increased production and licensing costs of both players and media. It has also been reported by High-Def Digest that additional copy protection may result in more lengthy load times.
  • Features & Interactivity - I've never been one to make use of the "Extras" on standard DVDs. Well, maybe the deleted scenes and out-takes, but that's it. With HD DVD, I find myself actually looking at these features before I buy a movie to see if there's anything original. This is a highly subjective point, but my argument here is that the consumer benefits by having these features and interactivity available to them, should they happen to enjoy them.
  • Internet Updating - To date, the only Blu-ray player that can update its software/firmware via network connection is the Sony Playstation 3.Editorial Note: It was pointed out to me that the Samsung BDP-1400 can also update via network connection. I apologize for the oversight (11/27, 12:01am EST)
    Other Blu-ray players require you to either order a DVD with the update or download and burn your own update DVD. Sony's BDP-S300 recently had a firmware release and I was attempting to help someone on our forums download and install it. I checked the page and there were about 25 steps to follow to get it updated, along with another dozen or so "Important Notes" of things to make sure you do (or not do) when updating ... not very consumer friendly.
  • Better Price - I mention this last because I want to stress that there are a lot of other reasons to choose HD DVD than just the price, but it can't be ignored. With street prices of Blu-ray players around $357 ($499 MSRP) and street prices of HD DVD players around $169 ($299 MSRP) ... it's just icing on the cake. HD DVD players have even sold as low as $99 this month in various sales at retailers like Wal-mart and Best Buy.
From the That's-Not-Quite-True Department

There are a lot of "facts" and figures that get thrown around whenever someone sticks their neck out in favor of one format or another. In this case, those that have already invested in Blu-ray may throw up some strongly-worded arguments to my recommendation. Let me attempt to disarm some of them by stating below some things you're likely to hear/read, and why they're "Not Quite True":
  • Blu-ray has more studio support than HD DVD - Of the six big movie studios in North America, three of them are Blu-ray exclusive, two of them are HD DVD exclusive, and one (Warner Bros) is producing in both formats. But what we're really talking about here is the number of titles available, not the number of studios supporting it. According to Wikipedia, as of October 31st, 2007, 332 titles are available in the US on Blu-ray and 328 on HD DVD3. And as of November 6th, 2007, Netflix has 378 Blu-ray titles and 345 HD DVD titles. Sounds about even. That being said, you also must take into account whether there are titles available from only one format that you must have. That alone can make all other advantages of one format over the other irrelevant.
  • Blu-ray has more manufacturer support than HD DVD - This one is true, but I include it for what it means. Usually, more manufacturers mean more competition, which leads to lower prices. HD DVD is far less expensive than Blu-ray, so what good are all those manufacturers doing for the Blu-ray format?
  • Blu-ray has higher capacity/bitrate than HD DVD - I'll give you that. Blu-ray players currently support discs with a capacity of up to 50GB while HD DVD is limited to 30GB (although 51GB HD DVDs were recently approved). Also, Blu-ray bitrates can run to 54Mbit/s while HD DVD is limited to 36Mbit/s. That being said, show me how that makes a difference with a side-by-side comparison of picture quality. I doubt it's $200 better from any consumer's point of view, and that is the guiding principle of my recommendation.
  • Blu-ray can do all that added feature and interactivity stuff too - Yes, but only certain players can support it, and only certain disks have it. It should not be up to the consumer to keep track of whether a player can take advantage of a specific feature they see on the back of the package ... they should know it's supported regardless of their player.
  • Target went Blu-ray exclusive, the end is near - Actually, Target just bought an end-cap. A quick check in their online store shows that they are selling both the Toshiba HDA30 and the new Venturer HD DVD player. Also, since when is Target a bellwether in retail consumer electronics?
  • Blockbuster went Blu-ray exclusive, the end is near - Again, Blockbuster's announcement was not quite that far reaching. The Blu-ray exclusivity is limited to about 87% of their stores, and they are still making HD DVD available via online rental. Also, Blockbuster later issued a press release that indicated that they would continue to stock more HD DVDs in their stores as demand increases.
  • Paramount got paid $150 million for HD DVD support - True, but let's not pretend money is not changing hands all over the place in this contest. It's business, and that's how business is done. I hardly think this is a reason to dislike HD DVD.
  • HD DVDs scratch more easily because they don't have the hard coating that Blu-ray has - Blu-ray does utilize a hard coating on the surface of their media that resists scratches. This had to be done because the data layer in a Blu-ray disc is so much closer to the surface than in HD DVD. Regardless, this does not mean that HD DVD's are more susceptible to scratching and damage. I contacted a popular online rental company and asked them about damage reports and disc durability of the two formats. According to them, there is no appreciable difference in the number of returns for either format.
Conclusion

I'll restate what I've said above, but without all the detail. Here is why I believe HD DVD is the best choice for the consumer this holiday season:
  • All HD DVD players are standard, and you can feel confident that you will not have any issues playing back any HD DVD title on any HD DVD player.
  • Since all HD DVD players are internet-capable, any updates that you may have to do to your player can be done without complicated downloads, DVD burns and upgrade routines.
  • HD DVD is region-free, meaning that no matter in which country you buy your HD DVD, it will play in your player.
  • HD DVD media has less copy protection. Less copy protection means faster disc load times.
  • Sale prices for HD DVD players this holiday are around $100-$200, much more consumer- (and wallet-) friendly than sale prices for Blu-ray players, which are around $400.
I expect (dare I say hope) that this will generate a lot of conversation. It remains to be seen how much of it will be in opposition to the recommendation I'm making. I will close this article with a recent quote that I came across that seems to be quite apropos:

He brings up lots of great points of why I went HD DVD exclusive. Hope this opens other consumers eyes.

yawn

That's nice linkin.

You and Ruined should print it out and tape it to your fridge.
Everyday you'll be reminded as to why you went HD DVD.

I knew it would get hilarious responses from the Smurfs. All stubborness and blu pride aside, you gotta admit that he does bring up excellent points.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Take a pizza cutter to a HD-DVD disc and have it still run and I will believe that article.[/quote]

Right...because acciental scratches on discs occur from misplaced pizza cutters.

It's very nice of him to try to present this as a factual, unbiased observation, but his flippant disregard for the significance of studio support, overstatement of the significance of internet-based extras (hot damn, allow me to express how jealous I am of your ability to text message your pretend Quidditch-mates in Harry Potter: OOTP), overstatement of the price of HD DVD players (so, how many stores are carrying the HD-A2 for $200 or less at the moment?), and unproven overgeneralization of the Paramount deal (no, everyone is *NOT* buying out studios for $150 million) show fervent signs of fanboyism.

Which is a shame, since Ruined is often very good for his hidef knowledge.

EDIT: Okay, well, my mistake on thinking this was something Ruined wrote, as he's the type to do such a thing. Nevertheless, the article is quite biased and absurd. Some of the usual good points are stressed (region-free), while its significant shortcomings are either diminished (as mentioned above) or omitted entirely (HD/BR player install base *counting* the PS3, as well as the oh-so-joyful-to-me 35% marketshare that HD DVD currently has.

The Harry Potter exclusive extra is actually cooler than I thought. I originally thought it was just a chatroom, but it turns out it that a few users will schedule to watch the movie, one will host with the option to pause the movie for all users and the ability to text in at anytime throughout the movie.

Will I be using this feature? No. but its a pretty neat feature.

All I read is a HD-DVD fanboy trying to ignore the cold hard facts and spin them in favor of his format. Are there some excellent points? Sure. Is interactivity and internet nice? Sure, will the average joe ever use them? Nope. Faster load times? Both sides have had problems with that. When I was over at my friends house his Add-on froze in the middle of the transformers update and there was longer load time than I have had with my PS3 with any movie. But can you ignore that it has more Manufacturer support? Nope. Can you ignore more studio support? Nope. Can you ignore higher capacity and scratch-protection? Nope. Can you ignore 65% market share in America, 73% in Europe and 97% in Japan? Nope.

Eh. PiP is the only thing that even remotely matters to me, and that's in with profile 1.1. I'm looking forward to WB bringing the rest of their HD DVD catalog to BR. My wallet, OTOH, is trembling. ;)

Good points, but their importance is going to depend on the individual. I own a PS3, so a few of those points don't apply to me (standardization, price, internet updating). In fact, with all the BOGOs, price has been more in favor of BD as of late.

Features are definitely nice, but also not format specific. BD needs to get their stuff together with the whole BD-J (that is what is causing the inferior features, correct?). It would be nice to have this as well, but I can't see this always being a problem, and I'm willing to live with that.

Less copy protection is probably the only plus that is significant enough for me to give to HD-DVD. But, as we have seen in the past, nothing is truly uncrackable.

But yea, some good points. I see far more advantages on that list for BD than HD, but the author just gives his reasons to downplay those advantages, and reasons to praise HD-DVD advantages. Not saying he is wrong, but, it'll depend on the individual.

The average consumer will not care about HD DVDs being region free and having less copyright protection. Atleast we finally have conformation (since the New York Times doesn't count) of the $150 million.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I knew it would get hilarious responses from the Smurfs. [/QUOTE]

Thats about as original as xbot. I find it funny that the most uncivil parts of this debate come from the HD DVD side, and from a Mod to boot.

[quote name='rodeojones903']The average consumer will not care about HD DVDs being region free and having less copyright protection.[/QUOTE]

Aren't BDs region free as well?

[quote name='dpatel']Aren't BDs region free as well?[/QUOTE]

I consider you a friend but what you just said here shocked me. I really expect less ignorance from YOU of all people. I hold you in higher esteem then that and you just let me down.
It depends on what the company wants to do but what'll happen is we get screwed out of getting European releases when they release on BR there to make a long story short. You think it's not a factor already but I bet "Hotel Babylon" is region encoded for BR meanwhile I can order the HD DVD version and see it. The same likely goes for "Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves" and other BBC series on HDM that haven't released in the U.S. yet thanks to the idiots that make up BBC America. Such a sorry set of sods to delay programming to us OTA for so long with NO excuse since it's already in ENGLISH!

Haha.. I'm sorry I let you down. I honestly have never imported, so I don't really know too much about region coding for either format.

Well ladies and germs....let's hope Sony decides to add internal DTS-HD decoding to the PS3, because Silicon Image just confirmed that the 9132 HDMI chipset they provide to Sony is NOT capable of HBR bitstreaming and never will be.

Before Christmas, like you promised....pretty please?

On the brighter side, it appears as though the BD-Video 1.1 (or "Bonus View", as it's now called) update for the PS3 is coming RSN. One step closer.... :)

[quote name='geko29']Well ladies and germs....let's hope Sony decides to add internal DTS-HD decoding to the PS3, because Silicon Image just confirmed that the 9132 HDMI chipset they provide to Sony is NOT capable of HBR bitstreaming and never will be.

Before Christmas, like you promised....pretty please?[/quote]

Is this possible? And what do you mean by HBR bitstreaming? Isn't it already capable of doing some form of bitsreaming?

HBR (High Bitrate) bitstreaming=sending advanced audio codecs (DD+, TrueHD, DT-HD HR/MA) to a compatible receiver exactly as they're encoded on the disc, and letting the receiver do the decoding. Just like your old DVDs sent the DD or DTS soundtrack to your receiver. It's one of two ways to take advantage of advanced audio. According to Silicon Image, who supplies the HDMI chips for the PS3, the hardware is incapable of HBR bitstraming. It can bitstream DD or DTS over either optical or HDMI, just like other DVD players, however. Just not the new codecs.

But that's not the end of the road. Internal decoding to PCM (as is currently done with TrueHD) is the other possibility, and poses no problems for the chipset. In fact, it requires only HDMI 1.1. The additional functionality provided by 1.3 is superfluous. There SHOULD be enough horsepower on tap to decode DTS-HD HR and MA in software on an SPE or two, and send it out via PCM. DTS and Sony have said for a little over a year now that this feature is coming. I don't doubt it, but I'm getting impatient. :)

[quote name='geko29']HBR (High Bitrate) bitstreaming=sending advanced audio codecs (DD+, TrueHD, DT-HD HR/MA) to a compatible receiver exactly as they're encoded on the disc, and letting the receiver do the decoding. Just like your old DVDs sent the DD or DTS soundtrack to your receiver. It's one of two ways to take advantage of advanced audio. According to Silicon Image, who supplies the HDMI chips for the PS3, the hardware is incapable of HBR bitstraming. It can bitstream DD or DTS over either optical or HDMI, just like other DVD players, however. Just not the new codecs.

But that's not the end of the road. Internal decoding to PCM (as is currently done with TrueHD) is the other possibility, and poses no problems for the chipset. In fact, it requires only HDMI 1.1. The additional functionality provided by 1.3 is superfluous. There SHOULD be enough horsepower on tap to decode DTS-HD HR and MA in software on an SPE or two, and send it out via PCM. DTS and Sony have said for a little over a year now that this feature is coming. I don't doubt it, but I'm getting impatient. :)[/quote]

I don't blame you. I would hate it to if I bought a fancy receiver and couldn't use it. And didn't fox say it's coming soon too?

[quote name='geko29']HBR (High Bitrate) bitstreaming=sending advanced audio codecs (DD+, TrueHD, DT-HD HR/MA) to a compatible receiver exactly as they're encoded on the disc, and letting the receiver do the decoding. Just like your old DVDs sent the DD or DTS soundtrack to your receiver. It's one of two ways to take advantage of advanced audio. According to Silicon Image, who supplies the HDMI chips for the PS3, the hardware is incapable of HBR bitstraming. It can bitstream DD or DTS over either optical or HDMI, just like other DVD players, however. Just not the new codecs.

But that's not the end of the road. Internal decoding to PCM (as is currently done with TrueHD) is the other possibility, and poses no problems for the chipset. In fact, it requires only HDMI 1.1. The additional functionality provided by 1.3 is superfluous. There SHOULD be enough horsepower on tap to decode DTS-HD HR and MA in software on an SPE or two, and send it out via PCM. DTS and Sony have said for a little over a year now that this feature is coming. I don't doubt it, but I'm getting impatient. :)[/QUOTE]

Nice. I hope we never stray back to codecs being decoded by receivers by default. I mean the cost of the receivers was quite bad back then and this lowers one burden in terms of cost.

I just noticed in a commercial that Bourne Ultimatum is being released as a combo disc, I thought they were going to stop doing that or is that just Warner?

Just Warner. Universal is still doing combos for day/date releases. Paramount doesn't do them at all (Star Trek is an experiment). Which is unfortunate, because if any day/date release SHOULD have been a combo, it's Shrek 3, hands down.

[quote name='geko29']Just Warner. Universal is still doing combos for day/date releases. Paramount doesn't do them at all (Star Trek is an experiment). Which is unfortunate, because if any day/date release SHOULD have been a combo, it's Shrek 3, hands down.[/QUOTE]

I agree , I bought Shrek 3 on DVD . It was too expensive on HD DVD .
Although I would have bought the HD DVD , if it was a combo-disc .

warner still is releasing some combo's, these were announced after they rereleased a bunch of their combos on hd dvd only

invasion, the brave one (announced couple days ago), no reservations, appleseed ex machina are all combo disks

[quote name='guyver2077']im glad paramount doesnt waste their time with it[/quote]See Star Trek, season 1.

The combos, they start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back