(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='opportunity777']I'm actually surprised that both threads are not locked up.[/QUOTE]

Might as well. Or Make a single post with the free 1 year deal and lock/sticky it, if only for a little while

[quote name='illmatic8582']I am on the theeca website, and under the member section, there is the amazon.com part which is first on that page. It tells me to scroll down to get the 10% code, and it will expire, 9/30. It tells me to click a link, but I do not see a code or link anywhere. What am I doing wrong?[/QUOTE]
Welcome to the party.

So, if somebody else (like my uncle) paid for my ECA membership, do I belong to the camp who got the membership for free and therefore am not allowed to bitch about the codes currently not being available.
Or, do I belong to the other camp and can blame everyone else for not getting 10% off a video came and, ultimately, have to starve to death since I can no longer afford food (since video games obviously have a higher priority)?

[quote name='basketb']So, if somebody else (like my uncle) paid for my ECA membership, do I belong to the camp who got the membership for free and therefore am not allowed to bitch about the codes currently not being available.
Or, do I belong to the other camp and can blame everyone else for not getting 10% off a video came and, ultimately, have to starve to death since I can no longer afford food (since video games obviously have a higher priority)?[/QUOTE]

you get to yell at yourself.

This was horribly implemented. I bought an ECA membership about 1 month ago and have only used 3 codes since. How in the name of holy hell did they think it was a bad idea to: give each member a reusable, permanent membership code, kind of like how you get your own reward zone member # or Jewel Preferred card #, Gamestop EDGE, etc...considering they obviously have the insight to NOW try to get that accomplished (if you read their site)...

Only thing I can think of is that they were afraid of people lending/borrowing/stealing membership #'s and nullifying the purpose of it (supporting the industry)...but isn't that still a risk with the temp ones too...also, couldn't they have password protected it, and it could have rerouted you, kind of like how Paypal does?...even so, at least what they could have done was link it to the Amazon account when you sign up at the ECA site...that way you had to log into your own Amazon account to get the discount...how hard is that? Maybe it's a technical nightmare, I don't know?....Or hell, the codes could have been even longer and been case sensitive, there can't be THAT many ECA members, or even gaming enthusiasts, that something like a 25-30 digit/character code randomly generated using a strict algorithm of numbers, caps, and letters would run out so fast...I dont' get it, this baffles me. Ration them even, put it as a stipulation in the ECA membership, only 3 codes a month or something, so they can pace the regeneration of them...There's a dozen more optimal ways this could have went down, something tells me it was hastily created.

Now they're scrambling to patch this disaster up by saying "permanent codes are coming soon!" or whatever it says there. Was this thought up on a cocktail napkin or on a whim? I appreciate the bonus, as that's what it really is considering it's actually just a perk for being in the ECA, but c'mon, as I said, this couldn't have been the best way to do this if even they themselves are working on permanent codes to replace the current process...they had to have had the foresight, it's not that complicated.

[quote name='BWS1982']This was horribly implemented. I bought an ECA membership about 1 month ago and have only used 3 codes since. How in the name of holy hell did they think it was a bad idea to: give each member a reusable, permanent membership code, kind of like how you get your own reward zone member # or Jewel Preferred card #, Gamestop EDGE, etc...considering they obviously have the insight to NOW try to get that accomplished (if you read their site)...

Only thing I can think of is that they were afraid of people lending/borrowing/stealing membership #'s and nullifying the purpose of it (supporting the industry)...but isn't that still a risk with the temp ones too...also, couldn't they have password protected it, and it could have rerouted you, kind of like how Paypal does?...even so, at least what they could have done was link it to the Amazon account when you sign up at the ECA site...that way you had to log into your own Amazon account to get the discount...how hard is that? Maybe it's a technical nightmare, I don't know?....Or hell, the codes could have been even longer and been case sensitive, there can't be THAT many ECA members, or even gaming enthusiasts, that something like a 25-30 digit/character code randomly generated using a strict algorithm of numbers, caps, and letters would run out so fast...I dont' get it, this baffles me. Ration them even, put it as a stipulation in the ECA membership, only 3 codes a month or something, so they can pace the regeneration of them...There's a dozen more optimal ways this could have went down, something tells me it was hastily created.

Now they're scrambling to patch this disaster up by saying "permanent codes are coming soon!" or whatever it says there. Was this thought up on a cocktail napkin or on a whim? I appreciate the bonus, as that's what it really is considering it's actually just a perk for being in the ECA, but c'mon, as I said, this couldn't have been the best way to do this if even they themselves are working on permanent codes to replace the current process...they had to have had the foresight, it's not that complicated.[/QUOTE]

they didn't just now put up the line about making multi use account specific codes. they've been working on it for months (so they say). also i'm about 99% sure that ECA doesn't make the codes in any way. they simply get it from amazon, so they would be waiting on amazon to create some sort of long term codes they can then give their members.

[quote name='blueweltall']I heard a new batch of codes should be up tommorrow. Everybody should clam down and drink a kool-Aid.[/QUOTE]

Clam down?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']New codes are up. Just got in on the DS3 and Frontman Wireless Guitar combo for $37 after discount. This discount, plus Amazon's prices, is gonna ruin me.[/QUOTE]

Cool... Now to find a way to thwart the hoarders...

Interesting that the new codes apparently still expire on Sept 30th. I would have thought that with the date so close, they'd have gotten them set for later. Or maybe they just didn't update the page.

[quote name='OtherAdam']I just tried a code on a preorder I made already and it didn't work. Do I have to make a new order for these codes to work?[/QUOTE]

yes, or contact amazon cs and see if they would apply it, especially if you used a 50% coupon cause they are now expired.

[quote name='mitemouse']yes, or contact amazon cs and see if they would apply it, especially if you used a 50% coupon cause they are now expired.[/QUOTE]

Ok. I'll just remake the order. Thanks.

[quote name='dboy81']Cool... Now to find a way to thwart the hoarders...[/QUOTE]
Lol, cry more. I hoarded my codes already so they're all yours now.

[quote name='arcane93']Interesting that the new codes apparently still expire on Sept 30th. I would have thought that with the date so close, they'd have gotten them set for later. Or maybe they just didn't update the page.[/QUOTE]
Or they suspect they will have a hoarder problem or with all the free members they will be gone and used before the end of the month.

[quote name='jp0213']Or they suspect they will have a hoarder problem or with all the free members they will be gone and used before the end of the month.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, with the promo still relatively new, I wouldn't be shocked if we did run out again before the end of the month.

[quote name='jp0213']Or they suspect they will have a hoarder problem or with all the free members they will be gone and used before the end of the month.[/QUOTE]Yep, i'll give it two weeks before we run out again, even less time if this gets more exposure on places like Kotaku

wth I don't see any codes. :(
I got it ! What happens if you back out of the deal before final comfermation? Does it apply to the next order you make. The reason I ask is I had UC 2 in gold box but now its not. I want to wait until it pops in there again. if not then its only 2 dollars so I will go with order anyway.

[quote name='tightclaws']wth I don't see any codes. :(
I got it ! What happens if you back out of the deal before final comfermation? Does it apply to the next order you make. The reason I ask is I had UC 2 in gold box but now its not. I want to wait until it pops in there again. if not then its only 2 dollars so I will go with order anyway.[/QUOTE]
Once you apply the code to an order, it sits on your account. If you cancel or don't complete the order, it will be applicable to your next order.

[quote name='botticus']Once you apply the code to an order, it sits on your account. If you cancel or don't complete the order, it will be applicable to your next order.[/QUOTE]
Thank you you as long as I use it by Sept. 30 I assume.

So this wont work for a Dual Shock 3 Controller. I thought it says it works for all games/accesories? Did I read this wrong?

Weird. I tried to apply a discount. But not it says the promotion no longer applies? What gives? Is there a restriction on the number you can use per day? BTW I know they are one use, but can you buy a bunch of games at once or is 1 coupon per game? Anyone know?

Dam thing won't let me buy god:collection, gow3, tekken, and uncharted 2 ...says the promotion won't apply...

Any ideas/help?

[quote name='Dahk']So this wont work for a Dual Shock 3 Controller. I thought it says it works for all games/accesories? Did I read this wrong?[/QUOTE]

I just used one to buy the DS3 and Frontman guitar combo they are offering. Did you already use one today? A bunch of people have already reported not being able to use the 2nd code they generate today. Looks like something more be amidst with this ECA/Amazon thing.

[quote name='tightclaws']Thank you you as long as I use it by Sept. 30 I assume.[/QUOTE]

Might even work past that, as long as it's already on the account. I canceled an order last week that I had placed with a 50% off coupon from the trade-in deal -- I was afraid that I was going to lose the coupon since they had expired at the end of August, but I didn't want the item anymore, even at 50% off. But then I went and ordered another game, and it came up at 50% off on the check-out screen. So apparently those codes held past the expiration after they were redeemed on the account -- maybe these will do the same?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I just used one to buy the DS3 and Frontman guitar combo they are offering. Did you already use one today? A bunch of people have already reported not being able to use the 2nd code they generate today. Looks like something more be amidst with this ECA/Amazon thing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I used one for a ModNation Racers pre-order. I can only use 1 per day? Frustrating....

You'd think Amazon would want to make as much money as possible, no?

[quote name='Scaevola']Weird. I tried to apply a discount. But not it says the promotion no longer applies? What gives? Is there a restriction on the number you can use per day? BTW I know they are one use, but can you buy a bunch of games at once or is 1 coupon per game? Anyone know?

Dam thing won't let me buy god:collection, gow3, tekken, and uncharted 2 ...says the promotion won't apply...

Any ideas/help?[/QUOTE]

same here. any help?

Yeah, they could quite possibly be once a day now, which honestly should be fine, since the code can count toward multiple items in the same order.

Also, I'm no longer seeing the "NOTE: Coupon Codes expire 9/30" warning in the eca members home area. How are people drawing the conclusion that these are still expiring at the end of the month?

They're drawing that conclusion, because that's what it said their before, simple.

Maybe these codes don't expire and for all of you using multiple codes on multiple purchases in 1 day, LEARN TO fuckING READ! Use 1 code on all your purchases in that day, put it in 1 order.

I love all these paying members whining like bitches, but they already saved 5x what they paid for the membership. Most of the people doing this free thing are hardly using any codes. There was some hoarders and that'll be done if not already done, since they can't sell on ebay.

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']They're drawing that conclusion, because that's what it said their before, simple.[/QUOTE]

No, that's not simple, that's simply stupid. If they took the time to remove all the notices that state that the codes expire on 9/30 a reasonable conclusion to draw would be that the expiration date has removed/delayed/extended.

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']I love all these paying members whining like bitches, but they already saved 5x what they paid for the membership. Most of the people doing this free thing are hardly using any codes. There was some hoarders and that'll be done if not already done, since they can't sell on ebay.[/QUOTE]
From reading this and the other thread, I get the impression that the only hoarders are some of the folks who paid with real money for the membership.

No bitching or whining here - I joined way back in April. I have more than recouped my membership fee.

I guess if somebody feels the need to complain about spending $15 or $20, it's their choice. However, in the grand scheme of things it's really not that much.

I just used the ECA code a half hour ago on two Amazon XBox 360 games. I got the 10% successfully taken off my total, so it's working :bouncy:

I'm one of those who jumped when ECA started offering free membership, but I'm not one of those who started hoarding codes, since I don't plan on buying that many games anyway. eBay is my first resource although I usually win 50% of the time on my bids, but at least I determine my own price I'm willing to pay for the games ;)

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']I love all these paying members whining like bitches, but they already saved 5x what they paid for the membership. Most of the people doing this free thing are hardly using any codes. There was some hoarders and that'll be done if not already done, since they can't sell on ebay.[/QUOTE]

If there's a fact or evidence in there, point me to it.

[quote name='no_exit']No bitching or whining here - I joined way back in April. I have more than recouped my membership fee.

I guess if somebody feels the need to complain about spending $15 or $20, it's their choice. However, in the grand scheme of things it's really not that much.[/QUOTE]
I paid and joined last month, but am very happy I did so. If I had not, I would not have saved all the money I did last month. I was going to buy Batman and get it on release day regardless and saved a few dollars then I would not have had otherwise. However the big one was using it in conjunction with my 50% off coupon on Tekken 6 Limited Edition and saving an extra $15 which alone basically paid for itself right then. The 50% coupon expired at the end of August and I know many of you used it along with ECA for Beatles Rock Band LE or Call of Duty MW2 Limited Edition and basically had it pay for itself then. If you had waited for this free ECA membership you would've been SOL on some of these extra savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back