(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mywhitenoise']Yeah, but it just makes NO fuckING SENSE. You're not doing anyone a service. You're taking more codes than you need, you're only allowed one per batch...so you end up giving the ones you hoarded to random people. How is that any different than just taking 1 and letting some random person legitimately gain a code on their own from ECA?[/QUOTE]

Please show me where it says we're only allowed one per batch. I know it says one per game, per order. But I'd like to see the "fine" print.

[quote name='caltab']ya, the only problem is, no one, including ECA themselves(as they posted on their boards) new they were 1 time use. All the past batches were not.[/QUOTE]

Good point. And I think its retarded that its limited to one per batch.

it would be great if amazon sees how popular this is and implements their own type of gamer club for like 10-20 bucks, similar to gamestop's. i don't see why they need the middleman.

[quote name='caltab']it would be great if amazon sees how popular this is and implements their own type of gamer club for like 10-20 bucks, similar to gamestop's. i don't see why they need the middleman.[/QUOTE]

Yeah no kidding. ECA has too many problems.

Man.. I have a game in my goldbox and I can't use it since the ECA is down.. :( I'm a paying member by the way since July.

This is what happen when the membership becomes free... even when it's not free, it ran out of codes couple of times.

[quote name='blk00civicsi'] I took 4 because I thought "that'll be enough for me until 9/30." Guess what?!? I could only use 1. [/QUOTE]
Thanks for making my point for me.

[quote name='Snap']There isn't a need to take any extra, even for yourself. You get a code, order a game, get a new code, order a game. I don't see where "Let me copy and paste these codes into a document and keep hitting the link a few extra times" without ordering anything isn't considered hoarding.[/QUOTE]
Would you prefer we let the resellers have more codes or should we continue keeping a few around for emergencies and fellow CAGs?

Trick question: I really don't care to hear it.

How the heck to you join? I signed up, but I don't see where you can go in and pay for membership. When I click on members area it just tells me "access denied" and wants me to login - even though I'm already logged in with my account. I just want to get to the section that allows me to pay. Any ideas?

[quote name='Snap']Thanks for making my point for me.[/QUOTE]

What you are failing to acknowledge in your criticism is that the codes weren't intended to be only one per member, in fact if you read the big bold yellow words on the first post or the words before the code generator on eca's own site you'd see we are supposed to be use multiples....

(Each discount code generated will only be good for a one-time use and a new code is accessible after each use. Use one code per game).

As such, I fail to see your "point".

[quote name='gi60']Man.. I have a game in my goldbox and I can't use it since the ECA is down.. :( I'm a paying member by the way since July.

This is what happen when the membership becomes free... even when it's not free, it ran out of codes couple of times.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you except I joined in August. I have a game in the Gold Box that I've been waiting A LONG time to show up and I added it to my cart expecting to be able to use a code but was greeted with the message on the ECA site instead. And, unlike some others, I haven't been able to recoup my cost of membership yet. :bomb:

[quote name='caltab']it would be great if amazon sees how popular this is and implements their own type of gamer club for like 10-20 bucks, similar to gamestop's. i don't see why they need the middleman.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if they were to make this a feature of Prime (and maybe include CD and movie discounts as well), I'd actually consider Prime worthwhile.

That's a good idea. I would be down for a rewards program too. I assume the reason they haven't done it is for the same reason there are problems for ECA. On the other hand, Amazon is certainly able to tie in promotions to individual accounts (I remember their automatic discounts on HD discs back during the format wars was one), so I'm not too sure what the issue is with doing something similar for ECA or even for themselves.

[quote name='Snap']Thanks for making my point for me.[/QUOTE]

Are you mentally retarded? You highlight one phrase of my comment and think that's enough. I took enough to last ME through 9/30. I'm not out there selling them. I gave back to the community. It was not outwardly expressed that these codes didn't work more than once per account. I (like many others) use this service to our benefit. Are you that dense? It is clearly stated that these are one per game per order. Hmmmmmm... That makes sense to me. I was planning on making 4 orders this month. I took enough to cover that. You sir are a fucking troll. Go enjoy your free membership elsewhere.

^the Mod on ECA's own website accepts the giving of codes to family/friends, so you are entirely in the right to do so and are being generous to CAGS, especially given they have no use to you...

"Now if you want to use the code in a more honest way like using it on a friend or family members Amazon account (NO SELLING) and they are not an ECA member but you are, that's fine as well. Although we would love if they joined the family"

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Are you mentally retarded? You highlight one phrase of my comment and think that's enough. I took enough to last ME through 9/30. I'm not out there selling them. I gave back to the community. It was not outwardly expressed that these codes didn't work more than once per account. I (like many others) use this service to our benefit. Are you that dense? It is clearly stated that these are one per game per order. Hmmmmmm... That makes sense to me. I was planning on making 4 orders this month. I took enough to cover that. You sir are a fucking troll. Go enjoy your free membership elsewhere.[/QUOTE]
No one accused anyone of selling their codes. Getting all defensive over the FACT that people are taking more codes than they are using for the themselves is a problem. You can't use all of the codes you took. Fine, give them away, whatever. The point is someone else who could go to the web site and actually use one can't because people took more than they should have.

Stop being so dense as to avoid the issue, instead becoming defensive and using swear words to argue with someone. Classy.

MAG appeared in my GB and ECA has to run out of codes :bomb:

Please PM me if you have a spare one-use code (one use per account) that you generated in the past 2 days after ECA replenished them but ran out now. I didn't know they had replenished until today. I PAID for my membership back in May.

Edit: GOT THE CODE. THANKS SO MUCH.

[quote name='Snap']No one accused anyone of selling their codes. Getting all defensive over the FACT that people are taking more codes than they are using for the themselves is a problem. You can't use all of the codes you took. Fine, give them away, whatever. The point is someone else who could go to the web site and actually use one can't because people took more than they should have.

Stop being so dense as to avoid the issue, instead becoming defensive and using swear words to argue with someone. Classy.[/QUOTE]

No one is being defensive. You came into this thread bitching because people gave away the codes they couldn't use because you said they were "Hoarding' them. You think because I took four (for my personal use) that I was hoarding? You should get a little familiar with the use of the word Hoard. It may differ from your perception of it. Nobody knew the outcome of the codes before they took what they needed. Yes some may have taken more for their benefit but for those that took what they were actually going to use doesn't make them the reason for this fallout.

You can assume that people took more than what they needed and that may be the case but the phrase "You Snooze You Lose" also works in this scenario. Maybe you should frequent the threads more often so you don't miss out on these.

As I stated before. Enjoy your "free" membership. Take it how you want.

[quote name='eau']MAG appeared in my GB and ECA has to run out of codes :bomb:

Please PM me if you have a spare one-use code (one use per account) that you generated in the past 2 days after ECA replenished them but ran out now. I didn't know they had replenished until today. I PAID for my membership back in May.[/QUOTE]

Someone gave me an extra one-time use but I didn't end up needing it so I'll pass it on to you (posting here so others can save their codes).

[quote name='io']Someone gave me an extra one-time use but I didn't end up needing it so I'll pass it on to you (posting here so others can save their codes).[/QUOTE]

Careful io, Don't let Snap see you give away a code that he could have gotten thanks to an ungrateful CAG Hoarder.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']No one is being defensive. You came into this thread bitching because people gave away the codes they couldn't use because you said they were "Hoarding' them. You think because I took four (for my personal use) that I was hoarding? You should get a little familiar with the use of the word Hoard. It may differ from your perception of it. Nobody knew the outcome of the codes before they took what they needed. Yes some may have taken more for their benefit but for those that took what they were actually going to use doesn't make them the reason for this fallout.

You can assume that people took more than what they needed and that may be the case but the phrase "You Snooze You Lose" also works in this scenario. Maybe you should frequent the threads more often so you don't miss out on these.

As I stated before. Enjoy your "free" membership. Take it how you want.[/QUOTE]
Who said I missed out? It's disappointing and frustrating to see other folks not being able to participate because people took more codes than they could use. This is a fact. YOU offered up that you took more than you could use. I didn't point fingers at anyone. Several people responded in a defensive manner regarding taking more codes than they could use.

Yes, the terms of the codes weren't disclosed for the latest batch until someone found out later. But in the end, people missed out and that's what is disappointing to see. Your poor attitude is disappointing as well.

[quote name='Snap']Who said I missed out? It's disappointing and frustrating to see other folks not being able to participate because people took more codes than they could use. This is a fact. YOU offered up that you took more than you could use. I didn't point fingers at anyone. Several people responded in a defensive manner regarding taking more codes than they could use.

Yes, the terms of the codes weren't disclosed for the latest batch until someone found out later. But in the end, people missed out and that's what is disappointing to see. Your poor attitude is disappointing as well.[/QUOTE]

Then the purpose of your point is what? I told you that I took what I needed. No more, no less. When I found out that I couldn't use them I gave it right back to those that missed out. I did not sit on them to let them expire. I gave. You should be talking to those who didn't do anything.

My attitude became this way because of people like you. Coming in here flaunting the issue of missing out. Blaming CAGs and such as the reason. I guarantee that there are way more lurkers out there than you'd like to think. Ever think to dial back the agressiveness or attitude yourself?

[quote name='Snap']Who said I missed out? It's disappointing and frustrating to see other folks not being able to participate because people took more codes than they could use. This is a fact. YOU offered up that you took more than you could use. I didn't point fingers at anyone. Several people responded in a defensive manner regarding taking more codes than they could use.

Yes, the terms of the codes weren't disclosed for the latest batch until someone found out later. But in the end, people missed out and that's what is disappointing to see. Your poor attitude is disappointing as well.[/QUOTE]

Your "point" is getting harder and harder to understand as your "argument" gets more convoluted. People have told you that they took what they planned to use, which was fine by all previous offer terms, and you yourself have now acknowledged that the change in terms was not disclosed, so that people didn't know they wouldn't be able to use them. And yet you're still spouting this shit about people taking "more than they could use" as the central basis of your claim. Do you not see the flaw in this?

I'm pretty sure that once people knew about the issue, and knew they wouldn't be able to use any more codes, they didn't go out and take more just for the hell of it anyway. I also haven't seen any evidence that anyone here took a whole bunch of codes that they were just going to let expire just because they could. If those things had happened, then what you're saying might make sense, but they didn't.

But hey, at least you've got a point I guess. Good for you. I'd sure hate for anyone to feel pointless.

Edit:
Oh, yeah, and I think the following counts as "pointing fingers", if you really want to get pedantic about it:

[quote name='Snap'] Really frustrating when you see people giving their extra codes away that they can't use... so you just proved you're hoarding.[/QUOTE]

If you're going to attempt to point fingers, you should expect people to set you straight.

To be fair, ECA should have forseen that with the free signup, people would abuse the system.

Hopefully they implement something that limits the abuse of the system while allowing users to use codes.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Careful io, Don't let Snap see you give away a code that he could have gotten thanks to an ungrateful CAG Hoarder.[/QUOTE]Lol if they have beef, then they can take it up with me. I'll be waiting by the willow tree at 3 o'clock.

[quote name='Jodou']Lol if they have beef, then they can take it up with me. I'll be waiting by the willow tree at 3 o'clock.[/QUOTE]

Shit... The Willow tree?!?! I've been standing next to the Cherry tree for 2 hours. :bouncy:

[quote name='Jodou']Lol if they have beef, then they can take it up with me. I'll be waiting by the willow tree at 3 o'clock.[/QUOTE]

Screech, there are no willow trees!

Dang, I hope Uncharted 2 doesn't hit my Gold Box until they get more codes.

And if they don't get more codes in, then I'll be mighty disappointed.

The problem is that too many people got free memberships recently and are abusing the codes. I think the ones who paid for their memberships are less likely to abuse them than the ones who didn't.

Yeah, I think it's time for all this bickering to end. (Consider that an offical CAG mod warning in case it isn't clear ;))

Let's not forget the main reason the codes ran out is because of all THE FREE MEMBERSHIPS. That caused a huge influx of new people generating codes AND resulted in many people who paid to join generating multiple codes in anticipation of shortages. I'm sure the new members generating codes greatly outnumbered the paid members who found out about the free membership in time to generate extras (just a guess of course).

Yes, I did generate a few myself from the regular batch right after the membership became free (which are not one-time use codes) because I knew the codes would get depleted (though I was surprised it took less than a day) and I wanted to lock in several orders before the codes expire at the end of Sept. So, yeah, I took about 5. I've used 2 already and have 3 other games I want to preorder with the remaining ones but I'm waiting for them to show up in my gold box quick picks. I'll start using them regardless as we get close to the end of the month.

I really don't think very many people have done more than this (as always, there are exceptions of course and I'm sure some idiot grabbed 50 of them). It was perfectly within our right (and within the terms on the ECA site) to get multiples. We were allowed one per order, and were allowed to generate another code if needed. I wasn't even aware it was cool with the ECA people to share them with family and friends. I haven't even done that myself, though I have applied them to my wife's account (but really, it's me making those orders and playing the games ;)). I thought maybe that was somewhat iffy but after seeing those quotes I feel a lot better about that.

Between the "Free 1 Year Membership to ECA" thread on CAG and the one on Slickdeals, there were over 70,000 views. That's a LOT of views and for something that's "free", I have no doubt a TON of people signed up and THAT is what caused the codes to go...poof.

[quote name='io']Yeah, I think it's time for all this bickering to end. (Consider that an offical CAG mod warning in case it isn't clear ;))

Let's not forget the main reason the codes ran out is because of all THE FREE MEMBERSHIPS. That caused a huge influx of new people generating codes AND resulted in many people who paid to join generating multiple codes in anticipation of shortages. I'm sure the new members generating codes greatly outnumbered the paid members who found out about the free membership in time to generate extras (just a guess of course).

Yes, I did generate a few myself from the regular batch right after the membership became free (which are not one-time use codes) because I knew the codes would get depleted (though I was surprised it took less than a day) and I wanted to lock in several orders before the codes expire at the end of Sept. So, yeah, I took about 5. I've used 2 already and have 3 other games I want to preorder with the remaining ones but I'm waiting for them to show up in my gold box quick picks. I'll start using them regardless as we get close to the end of the month.

I really don't think very many people have done more than this (as always, there are exceptions of course and I'm sure some idiot grabbed 50 of them). It was perfectly within our right (and within the terms on the ECA site) to get multiples. We were allowed one per order, and were allowed to generate another code if needed. I wasn't even aware it was cool with the ECA people to share them with family and friends. I haven't even done that myself, though I have applied them to my wife's account (but really, it's me making those orders and playing the games ;)). I thought maybe that was somewhat iffy but after seeing those quotes I feel a lot better about that.[/QUOTE]
:applause: Thanks for bringing sanity to this thread, io

I agree 100% with everything you stated.

I really wish the codes were only available to those who paid for membership. That would basically solve the problem.

is anyone willing to trade a non-one time code with a one time code? I have an extra code that is pretty much useless now since it's a one time code and I've already used one.

I just got fragile on my gold box. And i'd really like to get it for $40. if anyone who still has any from the early batch are willing to trade, that'll be great.

Sup guys....

I got an extra ECA code. Just drive up in the alley behind the Wall-Mart and i'll hook you up. U better not be a cop......:lol::lol::lol:

This thread and the other ECA-related one are certainly the most entertaining ones I've seen here since I joined.
So, the paying members blame the free-riders for the code shortage because either the free-riders generated too many codes themselves and hoarded them or they "forced" the paying members to generate too many codes (just in case, and to be shared only with other paying members). The latter is the case because the paying members new the codes would be running out eventually, as ECA ran out of codes several times even before there were any free-riders to be blamed.
I'm just surprised why the blame is laid on the free-riders. Shouldn't the blame be laid on the hoarders (paying or otherwise)?

basketb - they have run out in the past but they ran out within 24 hours of the free membership being offered (after having codes working fine for a few weeks).

I didn't say the cause was the "free-riders" just the free memberships (there is a difference!) - and the "blame", if you even want to call it that, is shared with both the influx of new people and the old-timers generating codes knowing they would run out again (and they did). The real blame of course should fall with the ECA and Amazon for not getting their act together and coordinating better.

Certainly, though, the people who signed up for free shouldn't have much grounds to complain ;).

[quote name='saiyajinsc']all this fuss about saving money, if that's the case you should switch to geico and save 15% or more on your car insurance[/QUOTE]

i would but im scared that geico will start to stalk me : )

[quote name='saiyajinsc']all this fuss about saving money, if that's the case you should switch to geico and save 15% or more on your car insurance[/QUOTE]

LIES! I called Geico and their quote didn't save me anything. Hearing so many Geico horror stories, I'd rather not go with them even if they did save me 15% or more.

[quote name='bojay1997']But their net margin already factors in things like the 10% discount. Their gross margin on most video games is between 25 and 30%. On some games like music games with instruments, it's even higher. Amazon loves sites like this and the ECA discount. It helps increase sales and move stock that isn't otherwise moving. Heck, they even gave advance notice to many sites last Christmas to hype the specific deals they would be giving for Black Friday and pre and post Christmas discounts.[/QUOTE]
What corner of your ass did you pull 25 to 30% videogame gross margin from? Retailers use sales as loss leaders to push standard priced products. I'm pretty sure most people here are just after the sales. There will always be people like you trying to justify retailers are making money off heavily discounted items when the math doesn't come close to making sense. Remember the WBShop "sale" a few weeks back when people were raping WBShop for like $5 per blu-ray with free shipping. Some people actually thought WBShop could make a profit from revenue levels like that.

[quote name='arcane93']Hm . . . Well, I haven't (and probably won't, unless I get the sudden urge to buy stock ;)) done extensive research into Amazon's profit margins and business practices, but they are a huge company with what I'm sure are a very highly skilled set of managers and accountants making the decisions behind offers like this. I'm sure that if they stood to lose any money on this deal, they never would have made it in the first place. I'm also sure they factored scalability into their decision, because the ECA was bound to grow, even if they didn't expect this much growth this fast. Assuming that the deal wasn't a loss before, increasing the volume on it shouldn't be a loss either. So I'm just going to trust that they knew what they were doing on this one, and that, one way or the other, they're coming out ahead. :)[/QUOTE]
Wow...so what you're saying is Amazon has a time machine where if they executed a promotion that didn't make money...they'll go back in time and just never have done it? Do you realize how idiotic you sound? With your logic, no big business would ever fail.

[quote name='silentspork']Does anyone have an extra code? I cancelled a couple items that I got in my gold box before realizing the coupons were out, wish I didn't :cry:[/QUOTE]

For people wanting codes...they are available on ECA...JOIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back