(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shadowrage']Can you stack codes? Say like using multiple 10% off codes to get a game for fee?[/QUOTE]

Even if you could, continually taking 10% off would never get you down to $0.00.

[quote name='Moravagine']Even if you could, continually taking 10% off would never get you down to $0.00.[/QUOTE]
It takes of %10 of the sale price, not the price adjusted for a particular discount. So with ten you probably could.

I ask because I managed to get 2 to stack accidentally, and now wonder if it would be worth holding off on a purchase until I can get more codes. for a greater discount.

[quote name='y2jasper']no it only stacks if you have a code from the old batch from a few weeks ago, and the current batch.[/QUOTE]
That explains the item I had in my cart was there for a week and it one of the old codes. Thanks.

[quote name='shadowrage']Can you stack codes? Say like using multiple 10% off codes to get a game for fee?[/QUOTE]
If people were able to get free games, this would be the only thread in the deals forum.

[quote name='shadowrage']I ask because I managed to get 2 to stack accidentally, and now wonder if it would be worth holding off on a purchase until I can get more codes. for a greater discount.[/QUOTE]

20% off is the max but it will likely work on multiple orders. The older "L" codes seem to stay in your cart even after a purchase.

This is getting out of control. I vote we close both ECA threads. Make a new "FAQ/Information thread" that includes the free coupon and kill off all the bickering, repetitive questions, and so forth.

Who's with me?

[quote name='dino88']If people were able to get free games, this would be the only thread in the deals forum.[/QUOTE]
I lol'd.

Anyone have a 1 month XBL gold code that they dont need? I will gladly give ECA codes to whoever gives me one when they run out/need. My bro just got ODST and needs a code badly. Anyhhway sorry about asking here but I've seen ppls ask for some in this thread.

[quote name='darknight88']Anyone have a 1 month XBL gold code that they dont need? I will gladly give ECA codes to whoever gives me one when they run out/need. My bro just got ODST and needs a code badly. Anyhhway sorry about asking here but I've seen ppls ask for some in this thread.[/QUOTE]

just wondering, is this what this thread has become? If so, im glad i avoid it.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']just wondering, is this what this thread has become? If so, im glad i avoid it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah really. Hey I'll give you nothing if you give me something that's $7.99.

I got this PM after I GAVE AWAY 7 48hr codes in my sig:

"hey man, i really need a two month live trial....also a 48hr code would be greatly appreciated"

Really... let me get right on that.

I am having trouble with my ECA account will someone please send me a code. I am willing to trade club Nintendo points for a code.

Just PM me a code, and I'll send you a code for club nintendo.

[quote name='wakawakawa']It seems like the Amazon one a day code, is 1 every 24 hours. I got one yesterday around 10 am, and had to wait until after 10 am today to get a second one (I couldn't get one at 8:30am this morning).[/QUOTE]

Thanks :( That explains my situation, I guess. I hit that yesterday, and then assumed it reset at midnight, and came here when it didn't. Big pain 'cause now I have to really think ahead to order stuff. I was going to preorder New Super Mario Bros. yesterday...

I have been able to get as many codes as I want by clearing my browser cache / cookies and going to the site again. I click on the link to get a new code and I get it. This will also work if you use a different browser or go to a different computer.

This is strange.

I got NSMB in my Gold Box today, and I've been wanting it. Naturally I took it to the cart, applied my ECA code for today, and submitted the order.

But now, looking at their math, it looks like I double dipped on the ECA codes. I signed up when it was free (and when codes were down), so I wouldn't have had "old codes" to throw in there. And I only applied the one code today.

So, what's the deal? Did I apply a code to an old order, and it got thrown on there as well? I don't remember placing an order with one and cancelling...but I suppose I might have if I saw a better deal.

EDIT: Also got Fragile: Fragments of the Moon (or whatever) in there today. I know nothing about it besides it being an RPG for the Wii. I put in for it. We'll see how reviews shape up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bridgecat']I have been able to get as many codes as I want by clearing my browser cache / cookies and going to the site again. I click on the link to get a new code and I get it. This will also work if you use a different browser or go to a different computer.[/QUOTE]
Shhh, lol. Well, we can't be the only ones to know about it and it was only a matter of time anyways. But yeah, clearing your cookies will reset the daily limit since they're too incompetent to store the variable on their servers. I recommend CCleaner, as it will wipe out everything with the push of a button.

[quote name='bridgecat']I have been able to get as many codes as I want by clearing my browser cache / cookies and going to the site again. I click on the link to get a new code and I get it. This will also work if you use a different browser or go to a different computer.[/QUOTE]

Nice find. I just tried getting codes in two different browsers and it worked and then clearing the cache/cookies also worked. Thanks.

It looks like a bunch of the posts were deleted. If it was because of the content, I don't see how that is worse than the talk about stacking codes.

[quote name='bridgecat']It looks like a bunch of the posts were deleted. If it was because of the content, I don't see how that is worse than the talk about stacking codes.[/QUOTE]

Stacking uses codes that are gone. Therefore in theory it doesn't hurt take away from others. Glad that was deleted. Think about the out of code bashing earlier when it went free

[quote name='bridgecat']It looks like a bunch of the posts were deleted. If it was because of the content, I don't see how that is worse than the talk about stacking codes.[/QUOTE]

I sure do love arbitrary moderation. I guess I can see why the posts were deleted but when all the double stacking posts are left alone it seems a bit silly.

[quote name='redjoey']Stacking uses codes that are gone. Therefore in theory it doesn't hurt take away from others. Glad that was deleted. Think about the out of code bashing earlier when it went free[/QUOTE]

In theory we have no idea if stacking codes hurts others. The main argument against stacking them has been that it could indeed hurt others/everyone if it results in some kind of negative consequences.

In reality the moderation for the deleted posts was fairly random but since they were deleted I won't bring up what they were about.

I would have preferred an edit that said something like, "Sorry, but we don't think this discussion is appropriate so it has been removed." to let me at least know what's going on. I know there is often a fine line between what is appropriate and what is not and I'm not deliberately trying to put out potentially damaging information.

Has anyone had trouble applying codes recently?

I freshly generated a code and tried to apply it to NBA 2k10 Anniversary Edition and it failed to apply - something about a change in policy with the codes?

I just applied a code and didn't have any problems. There may be problems with individual items. If you want to see if it works, you can add multiple items to your cart and check the discount. Then before you order, you can delete the items you don't want from the order.

[quote name='karaethon']Has anyone had trouble applying codes recently?

I freshly generated a code and tried to apply it to NBA 2k10 Anniversary Edition and it failed to apply - something about a change in policy with the codes?[/QUOTE]
I heard of issues with applying them to the 2k10 Anniversary edition. It was many pages back.

ugh Amazon has been really fucking me over this past week with my gold box quick picks

I just want the Demon's Souls LE :whistle2:( is that so much to ask Amazon?

[quote name='Vortextk']Pretty much no one has gotten that for months, don't count on it.[/QUOTE]

I knew I should have kept my old order and just had them apply coupons to it when I joined the ECA last month :bomb:

I dunno if you are serious or not :)

I have had things sit as my top 10 spots that never graced my Quick Picks so close or not, probably not going to happen

I was able to get the Demon's Souls LE to be in my Quick Picks once (about 3 weeks after it was originally announced) and I made sure to snatch it up then.

A number of preorders have been harder to get into Quick Picks it seems - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Final Fantasy XIII, and now Demon's Souls especially.

[quote name='guyver2077']yea my quick picks have been crap.. my list has nothing but games but i keep getting random junk.[/QUOTE]

Same here - after getting a few things back right away after I cancelled them I've gotten nothing the last several days. Waiting for SMG2 and Metroid Other M to come back. I gave up on Demon's Souls LE a long time ago and just locked it in anyway.

Some others that never seemed to be appearing in quick picks that I went ahead and ordered: FF XIII (as opposed to Versus), Lego Harry Potter.

Another that I will do soon: Mass Effect 2. Given that I have the first game rated 5 stars and yet have never seen this show up I'm guessing this is another "no quick picks allowed" item.

So in my picks today I have two semi-interesting games but they are ones I can wait on for release/reviews/price drops: Shiren the Wanderer and Sin and Punishment 2 for Wii.

Yeah, I'm getting fed up with my Quick Picks. I just pre-ordered 5 PS3 games in the hopes that it spurs my Demon's Souls recommendation to climb the priority list. It's number 1 right now, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Thinkgeek already had coupons before for money off at certain prices. They either discontinued those for now, made eca's better, or are just saying the regular coupons are eca =P. I had an order there early this year for like 33, but it was 10$ off 40+ so I just added a 10 dollar item and used the code. Nifty site for some off the wall items.

hmm Tatsunoko VS Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars is in my gold box for $44.64. Damn the stacking 10% off and gold box. I am going to have to get this.

No More Heroes 2 Wii, Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time PS3, Golden Sun DS, and The Last Guardian PS3 showed up as well.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']I heard of issues with applying them to the 2k10 Anniversary edition. It was many pages back.[/QUOTE]

The 10% code was working on the PS3 version but not the 360 version back in July / August.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']

No More Heroes 2 Wii, Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time PS3, Golden Sun DS, and The Last Guardian PS3 showed up as well.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the usual suspects there ;). I had those showing up repeatedly until I finally preordered them all (except NMH). I think one of the reasons I have so little showing up now is that I've preordered most of the ones in the regular quick picks cycle. There isn't much left to get. The only disappointments are that SMG2 and Metroid Other M seem not to be showing up any more and those were regulars before as well - but things may have changed.

All I want is Modern Warfare 2 Hardened and Dragon Age Origins Collector's.

Any idea on when Amazon will make Assassin's Creed II CE available?

[quote name='Porksta']
Any idea on when Amazon will make Assassin's Creed II CE available?[/QUOTE]

Gamestop only, unfortunately. :cry:

I, too, was hoping to grab it off of Amazon.

[quote name='pandanaut']Gamestop only, unfortunately. :cry:

I, too, was hoping to grab it off of Amazon.[/QUOTE]

So the Red and Black are seriously overseas only?

[quote name='GuardianE']Yeah, I'm getting fed up with my Quick Picks. I just pre-ordered 5 PS3 games in the hopes that it spurs my Demon's Souls recommendation to climb the priority list. It's number 1 right now, but I'm not getting my hopes up.[/QUOTE]
Priority List... personal or Amazon?

If I have uncharted 2 at the #1 spot in my recommendation list, should I expect it to go into my quick picks soon? Or do I actually have to preorder real games in order to get it in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back