(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also already had a couple of 3xECA items ship. One batch is just three games I am flipping back to Amazon for a $21 gain and the $30 console credit. I'd be shocked if they canceled any of the orders.

[quote name='wildcpac']For my pre order, it just says promotion applied 3 times. Nowhere does it say ECA or whatever. I am going to assume that a customer service rep is going to view the order the same way.[/QUOTE]

I think this is true. It is possible it is not worth Amazon's effort to ferret out the 30% orders. Someone said in the thread a long time ago that Amazon did not have an easy way of identifying when 3 promotions of the same type (like ECA) are stacked on an order rather than it just being two different promotions (say one ECA promo for $5 and one $5 gamer credit from a previous purchase). This sounds plausible to me. Plenty of people have contacted CSR's about 3xECA orders and nothing was said (sometimes they were even given further discounts/refunds).

Another question - If I keep inputting current ECA codes into my account - do they all get saved there, or does only one of each get saved and I'm wasting the rest

[quote name='Moravagine']I've also already had a couple of 3xECA items ship. One batch is just three games I am flipping back to Amazon for a $21 gain and the $30 console credit. I'd be shocked if they canceled any of the orders.[/QUOTE]

My dissidia's are coming in and going back out the 5th =)

[quote name='bobright']How are you getting a 21 dollar gain? Bought what for how much and sold it for?[/QUOTE]

It was an Amazon Deal of the Day this past week. The opportunity for it is long gone at this point.

Can anyone confirm if I have a large order with 3xECA and I cancel everything and re-order, will I still have the 3xECA. Has Amazon figured out how to stop this yet or am I still safe to cancel/re-reorder with 3xECA.

yes just managed to get 3x ECA to work. In my gold box today i have god of war collection, last guardian, and heavy rain. I'll pass on those 3 for now and hopefully something else comes along that could beat those. Come on amazon!

[quote name='Gorge']Can anyone confirm if I have a large order with 3xECA and I cancel everything and re-order, will I still have the 3xECA. Has Amazon figured out how to stop this yet or am I still safe to cancel/re-reorder with 3xECA.[/QUOTE]

I did precisely that two days ago, and I haven't read anything about Amazon putting a fix in.

and got my first code. Few Q's:
1. How to I put these into Amazon to 'save' for future orders?
2. My code is not J or L, but a number. If I get a new code tomorrow can I apply todays code and tomorrows code to get 20% off?

[quote name='Griffey867']and got my first code. Few Q's:
2. My code is not J or L, but a number. If I get a new code tomorrow can I apply todays code and tomorrows code to get 20% off?[/QUOTE]

1. Just type it in when you go to place your order under the promo code section.

2. No , unless they add a new batch again and allow it.

[quote name='Griffey867']and got my first code. Few Q's:
2. My code is not J or L, but a number. If I get a new code tomorrow can I apply todays code and tomorrows code to get 20% off?[/QUOTE]

1. When you appliy it it gets saved into your amazon account like a gift certificate.
2. No

Hehe, I saw that Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition was available, so I canceled my Force Unleashed preorder, which had a stackable code on it. So I save $30 from ECA, $15 from ODST, and $25 in gift cards bringing my total to $80, the same as the hardened edition!

So if I want to save a coupon, I just do a pre-order and then cancel it? Also, I have two codes that start with numbers, would anyone be willing to give me a previous code to stack :D?

I know you've been here a lot longer than I have, but I don't know if you've been around this thread a lot. The mods and OP's get rather upset when people ask for spare codes.

OMG the ECA double-stack is the holy grail. I had previously pre-ordered a ton of games, back when you could get as many codes as you wanted, and they all use the old codes. Now, every day I generate a new code, send an email to Amazon Customer Service, and every day I get an additional 10% off another preorder. With the Halo 3 $10 off coupon + 20% ECA discount, my Assassin's Creed II preorder is down to $35.36, plus its own $10 coupon. Glorious.

[quote name='guyver2077']are there any others boards that discuss the ECA codes. I know requests arent allowed on here.[/QUOTE]

requests arent allowed anywhere. its against ECA terms and conditions to share codes with 'third parties'

[quote name='hypermog']OMG the ECA double-stack is the holy grail. I had previously pre-ordered a ton of games, back when you could get as many codes as you wanted, and they all use the old codes. Now, every day I generate a new code, send an email to Amazon Customer Service, and every day I get an additional 10% off another preorder. With the Halo 3 $10 off coupon + 20% ECA discount, my Assassin's Creed II preorder is down to $35.36, plus its own $10 coupon. Glorious.[/QUOTE]

Can you please stop drawing attention to this by emailing customer service. Just cancel your preorder, get the old code back in your cart and use the new one.

[quote name='guyver2077']are there any others boards that discuss the ECA codes. I know requests arent allowed on here.[/QUOTE]

No and no offense but if a person had an old code, why would they share it with you?

[quote name='wildcpac']Can you please stop drawing attention to this by emailing customer service. Just cancel your preorder, get the old code back in your cart and use the new one.[/QUOTE]

They don't even know what it is. I just say "can you please add this promotional code to my order: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx"

How could this tip them off to anything?

edit: anyway the main reason I did it was to not lose the original code. If it keeps the code I'll do what you stated. Although some of my orders have a gold box discount as well (I actually got FF13 Versus in my gold box, and it ships in Jan. 2011). For those items I'll have to contact customer service in order to not lose the gold box discount.

I was under the impression the old "L" codes expired on 9/30. Although you can still use them if they were in an order or applied to you cart, supposedly you won't be able to initially redeem one now. So in addition to being against the rules, begging for them is most likely pointless.

[quote name='Moravagine']I was under the impression the old "L" codes expired on 9/30. Although you can still use them if they were in an order or applied to you cart, supposedly you won't be able to initially redeem one now. So in addition to being against the rules, begging for them is most likely pointless.[/QUOTE]

Technically they were supposed to, although it appears as though they didn't. It was theorized that the codes likely have a grace period, like alot of Amazon codes do, to cut down on the amount of customer service calls they get for people a few days off the expiration trying to weasel the code into an order.

No one knows for sure when that grace period ends, but at least as of the 2nd of october I know they were still working.

[quote name='crupp']Am I the only one that can hardly wait until ECA runs out of codes again?[/QUOTE]

I've thought it a number of times but refrained from saying so because I'm sure it will ruffle some people's feathers. Now we eagerly anticipate what we used to dread.

[quote name='hypermog']They don't even know what it is. I just say "can you please add this promotional code to my order: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx"

How could this tip them off to anything?

edit: anyway the main reason I did it was to not lose the original code. If it keeps the code I'll do what you stated. Although some of my orders have a gold box discount as well (I actually got FF13 Versus in my gold box, and it ships in Jan. 2011). For those items I'll have to contact customer service in order to not lose the gold box discount.[/QUOTE]

Don't bother trying to "save" gold box discounts. They are never more than the ECA x whatever, and in and of themselves are usually very small. The CSRs may not know, but Amazon does audit the amount of refunds and "workarounds" done on orders--it's not worth making a fuss over.

[quote name='crupp']Am I the only one that can hardly wait until ECA runs out of codes again?[/QUOTE]
Quick Robin, to the hoard-mobile!

[quote name='gunm']Don't bother trying to "save" gold box discounts. They are never more than the ECA x whatever, and in and of themselves are usually very small. The CSRs may not know, but Amazon does audit the amount of refunds and "workarounds" done on orders--it's not worth making a fuss over.[/QUOTE]

Why shouldn't I save them? I spend time "panning for gold" and I want to be rewarded for it. The gold box discount on my The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XIII Versus preorders is 5%. That's non-trivial to me.

I don't think it's worth flagging Amazon's attention over, but I realize I can't stop everyone from trying to do it.

Sorry for asking for a code before. I have a question though. So if I keep today's code, and tomorrows code begins with the same first letters than it won't stack but if it is different, it will stack?

[quote name='King Of Prussia']Sorry for asking for a code before. I have a question though. So if I keep today's code, and tomorrows code begins with the same first letters than it won't stack but if it is different, it will stack?[/QUOTE]

Kinda, but currently all codes currently being given out are numbers, and thus far, as far as i'm aware, numerical codes don't stack with one another.

What happens if you set up an order with stacked codes and one of the items shipped? If you cancel the remaining unshipped preorder items, do you lose the use of the codes? Thanks!

[quote name='hypermog']Why shouldn't I save them? I spend time "panning for gold" and I want to be rewarded for it. The gold box discount on my The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XIII Versus preorders is 5%. That's non-trivial to me.[/QUOTE]

You have like 2 years to get both in your goldbox again. I'd say just cancel.

[quote name='SoulEdgeVII']What happens if you set up an order with stacked codes and one of the items shipped? If you cancel the remaining unshipped preorder items, do you lose the use of the codes? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Your codes are gone.

[quote name='dinobot']I am wondering why mods are still letting this thread stay open.

discussion is basically about how to screw amazon...[/QUOTE]

because all the best deals are about screwing the retailer. When has that ever not been the case?

So I got one combo of 3x ECA codes left in my account.. you guys think either the L or J will disappear after a while? Or does it stay with your account until you use it? I'm thinking about just using it up just in case, but I pretty much ordered everything I want in a previous order.

[quote name='cupcakex1']So I got one combo of 3x ECA codes left in my account.. you guys think either the L or J will disappear after a while? Or does it stay with your account until you use it? I'm thinking about just using it up just in case, but I pretty much ordered everything I want in a previous order.[/QUOTE]

Exact same boat. Not only do I have everything I want pre-ordered, I have everything I may want in the next year or two that is on amazon ordered. I'm hoping the codes hang out for another month or two and maybe I can use the last set on black friday or something.

[quote name='hypermog']Why shouldn't I save them? I spend time "panning for gold" and I want to be rewarded for it. The gold box discount on my The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XIII Versus preorders is 5%. That's non-trivial to me.[/QUOTE]

You're going after fool's gold when you already have real gold in your hands. Forget the gold box, it's chump change. Do you bet $20 to win $5? the risk isn't worth the reward.

[quote name='doodofdoods']You're going after fool's gold when you already have real gold in your hands. Forget the gold box, it's chump change. Do you bet $20 to win $5? the risk isn't worth the reward.[/QUOTE]
^^^^^^ This Right here....

All the pre-orders i had were individual Orders - GB+10%. Its not worth it to bet against this for an extra 5%. Just consolidate everything and get your 20%/30% Off in 1 nice big clean order. Dont have to mess around with CSR's or anything of the sort - can do it all yourself.

Yea or just cancel everything - spend a day to get a nice gold box with like 5 games you want - and then make a giant order, then you can save like $20 with little extra effort.

[quote name='davidpiano1']Yea or just cancel everything - spend a day to get a nice gold box with like 5 games you want - and then make a giant order, then you can save like $20 with little extra effort.[/QUOTE]

It's a possibility, but the longer you wait, the higher the likelyhood that the codes will expire, or amazon will do something about the stacking. Is that potential $20 worth losing 20/30% off on everything?

[quote name='Oceaniax']It's a possibility, but the longer you wait, the higher the likelyhood that the codes will expire, or amazon will do something about the stacking. Is that potential $20 worth losing 20/30% off on everything?[/QUOTE]
In most cases, a game you ordered with a gold box discount will show up in your gold box again the day after you cancel it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back