Free Snow White Steelbook w/pre-order at Best Buy

fuss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I know how much everybody likes steelbooks here. I did not see this mentioned yet :)

Best Buy is giving out a steelbook free with the pre-order of Snow White either on BD or DVD. They have the offer online, but I picked it up in-store today.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat190600050017

You get the steelbook right then and there if you do this in-store and you have to put a $7.50 deposit down on the movie. Just be sure they scan the correct UPC for your choice of format. The case itself is the same height as a blu-ray case but lacks any logo on it.

Very nice in person. Dunno if a group buy is wanted/needed since this is US. But if so then somebody else will have to round that up.

edit - Best Buy is now doing the same deal for the movie "Up". The case is THICK, not sure how many discs it holds, maybe 4?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mako1215']http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=686337&t=1540099

Not sure if I can link to outside sites, but I'm going to try using this coupon with the BD and steelbook.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that the 10% off coupon worked with one of the 2 steelbooks I got, knocked it down to $13.50 or so. My only concern is that somehow Best Buy will look at my pre-order receipt and tell me that the pre-order credit is $13.50 (which is ridiculous since you have to pay off the total when picking up the Bluray). So depending on how they look at it, it could be a complete waste to get a pre-order item discounted.

[quote name='etcrane']I can confirm that the 10% off coupon worked with one of the 2 steelbooks I got, knocked it down to $13.50 or so. My only concern is that somehow Best Buy will look at my pre-order receipt and tell me that the pre-order credit is $13.50 (which is ridiculous since you have to pay off the total when picking up the Bluray). So depending on how they look at it, it could be a complete waste to get a pre-order item discounted.[/QUOTE]Uh, if you paid $13.50 for the steelbook ($14.99 - 10%), you didn't get it rung out correctly. :whistle2:s

You should have only paid $7.50 + tax for the correct ring-out of the steelbook, which is having the steelbook's UPC rung out and the DVD or BR pre-order UPC rung out. When the second UPC for the DVD or BR gets rung out, the steelbook's price drops to "free" ($14.99 - $14.99 promotion discount) and you're charged $7.50 for the pre-order.

The $13.50 you paid for the steelbook has nothing to do with the DVD or BR pre-order and won't be applicable for the pre-order. Only the $7.50 you'd be charged for the DVD or BR UPC getting scanned on the back of the package would be applicable. It's all spelled out on the back of the package.

Called my Best Buy and they said there wasn't a place to do the Pre-Order -_-* there fucking morons. Going to do it online just to make sure I can get one.

Went to a Best Buy in Memphis today to get it, and they had several cases left. Asked the guy at the register if he was sure it was pre-ordered for the Bluray, he said yes. (after reading the box twice to try and ring it up).

After I got home, I started thinking about it, they charged me 14.99 which didn't seem right when I was there, but after reading the box again and the thread here I knew it wasn't.

Went back to get it corrected, and it took 3 people at the front desk to figure out the promotion. Called customer relations and told them about the whole fiasco. (which they probably really do not care)

My receipt still says 'DVD' instead of bluray, but I will fix that when I go to pick it up.

When you cannot work at Best Buy, Wendy's, McDonald's, etc. and atleast half way figure out your job, your life is pretty much useless, just delete.

[quote name='howlinmad']My receipt still says 'DVD' instead of bluray, but I will fix that when I go to pick it up.[/QUOTE]

What that means is that what you have preordered is the same 3-disc set (2 Blu-rays plus a DVD), just in a DVD case instead of a Blu-Ray case. You can switch it, I'm sure, but just know that the only difference is what size the plastic keepcase is; the contents of the set are the same.

[quote name='shrike4242']Uh, if you paid $13.50 for the steelbook ($14.99 - 10%), you didn't get it rung out correctly. :whistle2:s

You should have only paid $7.50 + tax for the correct ring-out of the steelbook, which is having the steelbook's UPC rung out and the DVD or BR pre-order UPC rung out. When the second UPC for the DVD or BR gets rung out, the steelbook's price drops to "free" ($14.99 - $14.99 promotion discount) and you're charged $7.50 for the pre-order.

The $13.50 you paid for the steelbook has nothing to do with the DVD or BR pre-order and won't be applicable for the pre-order. Only the $7.50 you'd be charged for the DVD or BR UPC getting scanned on the back of the package would be applicable. It's all spelled out on the back of the package.[/QUOTE]

If you read through my post prior to the one you responded to I actually compared the receipts for one that was done properly and one that was not, and they're both listed as pre-sells for Snow White. I'm not too worried about it, but I may go back and have them fix it prior to the Blu-ray's release in October.

[quote name='etcrane']If you read through my post prior to the one you responded to I actually compared the receipts for one that was done properly and one that was not, and they're both listed as pre-sells for Snow White. I'm not too worried about it, but I may go back and have them fix it prior to the Blu-ray's release in October.[/QUOTE]I didn't see that prior post, though from what I was reading on the back of the case for the steelbook, it's only the pre-order for $7.50 that's applicable to the pickup of the title on 10/6.

Here's something to ease your paranoia about the whole bluray or dvd thing.

Look on your receipt at the UPC number. If it ends in 21, then it's the bluray that's preordered even though it does say DVD next to it. If it ends in 12, then it's the dvd that's preordered. If you still don't believe me, look on your steelbook and look at the UPC numbers. Everything is the same except for the last 2 numbers.

I had to deal with the $14.99 situation on Saturday also.

The fact is BB employees seem to be poorly instructed on goofy promos like this, but it only takes a minute to read the cashier instructions...I guess that's what's so frustrating to the consumer.

And yes, my receipt says DVD also, but I know it was rung up correctly the second time through. The employee actually covered up the dvd upc with a piece of paper when she scanned the :br: upc to make sure she got the correct one.

I went yesterday and picked up one. After searching for it before and not seeing it anywhere, I checked online to see if it was available at my BB. It was, and after asking a few clueless workers, it turns out the only place they had it was in-line in the Blu-Ray section. Then it took a very long time to get it rung out, and the case didn't ring up for free. Eventually, they got it right.

[quote name='howlinmad']When you cannot work at Best Buy, Wendy's, McDonald's, etc. and atleast half way figure out your job, your life is pretty much useless, just delete.[/QUOTE]

Woah woah woah. While I freely admit that some of these guys are woefully undertrained to give advice on electronic purchases, you're actually wrong in this case.

After reading this thread, I sat back and thought about what happened when I purchased my Steelbook. It rang up for ~$25. I told the guy it wasn't right and he just kind of looked puzzled. He said: "I figured it wasn't, but that's what the instructions tell me to do..." He then called a manager up, who fixed it to $7.50.

So I went and looked at the back of my Steelbook. Look at what the instructions say:

"CASHIER PROCEDURES: To complete Pre-order, scan "Free Steelbook Case with Snow White Pre-Order" UPC and Customer's Pre-order choice."

Looking at my receipt and other replies in this thread, that's the exact opposite of what the cashier should do. They should scan the pre-order choice first, and then scan the Steelbook UPC. While the instructions do not explicitly say to scan them in that order, that is sure what seems to be implied.

[quote name='Cloggerdude']Woah woah woah. While I freely admit that some of these guys are woefully undertrained to give advice on electronic purchases, you're actually wrong in this case.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but one instructional mishap doesn't give them a pass for every other bonehead move I have witnessed. =P And if these are selling out as quickly as everyone says, might be a good idea to figure it out since there might be a few pissed off people when they go to pick up their pre-orders.

so has anyone ever tried to cancel their preorder? is that even possible without returning the steelbook? i only ask because if it really is a free preorder gift, when you cancel a preorder that has a gift (video game), they don't require u to return the gift and they give u back your money.

[quote name='ChunkyLover78']so has anyone ever tried to cancel their preorder? is that even possible without returning the steelbook? i only ask because if it really is a free preorder gift, when you cancel a preorder that has a gift (video game), they don't require u to return the gift and they give u back your money.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it's setup ToysRus style where they deduct the amount in the case you don't return the gift. So if you cancel your pre-order they won't give you your $7.50 back if you don't hand in the case as well.

from my experience with video game pre-orders if you go to customer service with your receipt after the release date they will give your money back how ever you paid but do be careful though because there are idiots at bestbuy that will say you need to return the item included with the presell. the box on the presell does state that if you dont pickup the order you can get your money back for a complete refund. i think this is the same for the presell for videos as well. GOOD LUCK!

[quote name='Cloggerdude']Woah woah woah. While I freely admit that some of these guys are woefully undertrained to give advice on electronic purchases, you're actually wrong in this case.

After reading this thread, I sat back and thought about what happened when I purchased my Steelbook. It rang up for ~$25. I told the guy it wasn't right and he just kind of looked puzzled. He said: "I figured it wasn't, but that's what the instructions tell me to do..." He then called a manager up, who fixed it to $7.50.

So I went and looked at the back of my Steelbook. Look at what the instructions say:

"CASHIER PROCEDURES: To complete Pre-order, scan "Free Steelbook Case with Snow White Pre-Order" UPC and Customer's Pre-order choice."

Looking at my receipt and other replies in this thread, that's the exact opposite of what the cashier should do. They should scan the pre-order choice first, and then scan the Steelbook UPC. While the instructions do not explicitly say to scan them in that order, that is sure what seems to be implied.[/QUOTE]As long as they're both scanned on the same transaction, the register will do what it's supposed to. When I picked up mine, the steelbook UPC was scanned first, showing $14.99, then the BR UPC was scanned, which knocked the steelbook down to "free" ($14.99 - $14.99 discount) and charged $7.50 for the pre-order.

If the steelbook UPC and the DVD or BR UPC are on there, it'll work as it should.

[quote name='shrike4242']As long as they're both scanned on the same transaction, the register will do what it's supposed to. When I picked up mine, the steelbook UPC was scanned first, showing $14.99, then the BR UPC was scanned, which knocked the steelbook down to "free" ($14.99 - $14.99 discount) and charged $7.50 for the pre-order.

If the steelbook UPC and the DVD or BR UPC are on there, it'll work as it should.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected.

They're just boneheads then.

[quote name='shrike4242']As long as they're both scanned on the same transaction, the register will do what it's supposed to. When I picked up mine, the steelbook UPC was scanned first, showing $14.99, then the BR UPC was scanned, which knocked the steelbook down to "free" ($14.99 - $14.99 discount) and charged $7.50 for the pre-order.

If the steelbook UPC and the DVD or BR UPC are on there, it'll work as it should.[/QUOTE]

Wait... they were supposed to scan the actual steel case itself? They only scanned the pre-sell in my case. I only have 1 item on my receipt which is: GWP Coupon - Pre-sell Snow White.

does that mean that Best Buy will have the wrong inventory count for my store?

I think alot of people are operating under the assumption that there will be some sort of difficulty finding Snow White on Bluray at BB when it comes out in October. I would be shocked if they "run out" even if your order is screwed up and they didn't account for it. Given the way BB stocks up for these releases, I'm almost positive that everyone will be fine.

Heck, worse case scenario, the Bluray steelbook blatantly states it's free with a preorder, so if you bring the case and the receipt on the day you pick up, no matter what you do, you should be walking out with the movie and the case for $25.99 total.

[quote name='Cloggerdude']I stand corrected.

They're just boneheads then.[/QUOTE]Good way to state it, yes.

[quote name='hmbtnguy']Wait... they were supposed to scan the actual steel case itself? They only scanned the pre-sell in my case. I only have 1 item on my receipt which is: GWP Coupon - Pre-sell Snow White.

does that mean that Best Buy will have the wrong inventory count for my store?[/QUOTE]They were supposed to scan the steelbook UPC and either the DVD or BR UPC as well. That knocks the $14.99 steelbook price down to $0.00 after a $14.99 instant discount and charge you $7.50 for the pre-order.

If all you're seeing on your receipt is $7.50 for the pre-order, then yes, their inventory is screwed up for the steelbook, though not for the pre-order itself.

[quote name='shrike4242']Good way to state it, yes.

They were supposed to scan the steelbook UPC and either the DVD or BR UPC as well. That knocks the $14.99 steelbook price down to $0.00 after a $14.99 instant discount and charge you $7.50 for the pre-order.

If all you're seeing on your receipt is $7.50 for the pre-order, then yes, their inventory is screwed up for the steelbook, though not for the pre-order itself.[/QUOTE]

You make it sound easy but this definitely did not happen at my store. They rang it up both preorder first then case and case then preorder and both ways it didnt come off even after hitting total. They tried it multiple times multiple ways and it did not come off, so there is something that is causing a problem.

After multiple employees working on it and a manager who couldnt be bothered to do anything they finally figured something out but I am 99.9% its still wrong. Did anyone get charged tax on their preorder? Mine was 7.93 total.

Basically if you can get them to just ring up the preorder on the case just dont say anything. It may screw up their stock, but the altertanitive is spending an hour waiting around and them still having a screwed up stock. As

Best buy once again screws up something that should be easy. :roll:

Since a steelbook can hold so many disks I kinda wish that they would make these available for tv series sets so they would take up less room on the shelf.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Yes, I got charged tax on my pre-order as well. And they did not scan the case UPC - just the UPC for the blu-ray pre-order.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response, happy to see that things are somewhat in order on my receipt. Be happy they didnt read the instructions and do like they were supposed too (scan the case upc). Saved you a lot of time and aggravation.

[quote name='shrike4242'] If all you're seeing on your receipt is $7.50 for the pre-order, then yes, their inventory is screwed up for the steelbook, though not for the pre-order itself.[/QUOTE]

That's what my receipt looks like and is probably the reason why one of my local BB's inventory said they had 20 steelbooks in stock but 3 employees (2 in uniform and 1 secret shopper dressed as a hunter) couldn't find them anywhere in the store.

I didn't have any problems getting mine. I found about 20 to 25 of them on the shelves. The girl at the counter just scanned the upc for the steelbook and the upc for the blu-ray combo version and it rang out at 7.50. You just keep the receipt and show it to them when the blu-ray comes out and then you just have to pay the rest of the price, which should be about 18 dollars.

Yeah, I specifically had them scan the $7.50 steelbook, then BD/DVD combo, hit total, and no package deal screen popped up, and prices didn't reduce. I hope everyone is right about this working out, I mean, they still have to honor the fact you put $7.50 down right? Or will they come back and say, "well sir, you didn't have this rung up right, you must pay full price for the movie, on top of the $7.50 you already paid." That would be horrible!!

[quote name='token2k6']Yeah, I specifically had them scan the $7.50 steelbook, then BD/DVD combo, hit total, and no package deal screen popped up, and prices didn't reduce. I hope everyone is right about this working out, I mean, they still have to honor the fact you put $7.50 down right? Or will they come back and say, "well sir, you didn't have this rung up right, you must pay full price for the movie, on top of the $7.50 you already paid." That would be horrible!![/QUOTE]

The receipt is key. I was told to make sure I don't lose my receipt as it's the only proof that I made the pre-order and already paid $7.50 towards the final total.

[quote name='parKer']The receipt is key. I was told to make sure I don't lose my receipt as it's the only proof that I made the pre-order and already paid $7.50 towards the final total.[/QUOTE]

I was told the same thing. Usually they are relaxed about it, and say, "we can look it up with your card" but this time they really stressed to keep the receipt.

[quote name='bywaytm']Thanks for the response, happy to see that things are somewhat in order on my receipt. Be happy they didnt read the instructions and do like they were supposed too (scan the case upc). Saved you a lot of time and aggravation.[/QUOTE]

Maybe since they didn't scan the steelbook UPC, I'll be able to use the $10 Disney coupon without doing a return/re-buy?

i picked up two BR copies. they only scaned the pre-order upc and i was able to use the $10 off coupon for two steel cases, total came out to $6.48.

[quote name='BowserK']i picked up two BR copies. they only scaned the pre-order upc and i was able to use the $10 off coupon for two steel cases, total came out to $6.48.[/QUOTE]

Did the coupon scan automatically or did someone have to override in order for the $10 to come off? I was under the impression that the coupon wouldn't work correctly until the release date.

[quote name='parKer']Did the coupon scan automatically or did someone have to override in order for the $10 to come off? I was under the impression that the coupon wouldn't work correctly until the release date.[/QUOTE]

she didn't scan it she just entered something in the computer and subtracted $10. After the total it says (coupon MFG) -10

I didn't even check the date on the coupon. i printed it from the computer section inside best buy

somt94.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone had any issues getting the coupon from the disney movie rewards page? I click on the image for details, it tells me to log in, even though I am already logged in. Then, when I log in, it doesn't bring me to the place to enter the UPC, it just brings me to the main page. When I navigate back to the offer, it tells me to log in again. ARGH!

[quote name='evildeadjedi']My problem is I try to print the coupon it says I have already printed it too many times(this is my first time trying).[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure the coupon program uses IP verification. Try on another PC on another network if you can.

Hmm...using the check in store option, looks like my bestbuy got some back in stock! Will definitely preorder

I picked one up. Could not find it after looking at all the end caps and looking in the blu-ray section. There they were in the DVD section. They had 3 left. No problem at check out for me.

If you guys have problems finding it, I'd be more than willing to pick up one and ship it. Though it would be cost + shipping + gas.

[quote name='BowserK']she didn't scan it she just entered something in the computer and subtracted $10. After the total it says (coupon MFG) -10

I didn't even check the date on the coupon. i printed it from the computer section inside best buy

somt94.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Cashier Error, that shouldn't have worked.

[quote name='turboice']no longer available on BB website - guess only option now is hunting in the store[/QUOTE]

Don't know whether they restocked or if you're looking for something on the website that says "steelbook - blu-ray" but the steelbook is the same whether or not you get the blu-ray or dvd and they most certainly are still available on bestbuy.com. I just pre-ordered both today. just follow the pre-order process and click the "free steelbook" offer.

bread's done
Back