Free Snow White Steelbook w/pre-order at Best Buy

fuss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I know how much everybody likes steelbooks here. I did not see this mentioned yet :)

Best Buy is giving out a steelbook free with the pre-order of Snow White either on BD or DVD. They have the offer online, but I picked it up in-store today.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat190600050017

You get the steelbook right then and there if you do this in-store and you have to put a $7.50 deposit down on the movie. Just be sure they scan the correct UPC for your choice of format. The case itself is the same height as a blu-ray case but lacks any logo on it.

Very nice in person. Dunno if a group buy is wanted/needed since this is US. But if so then somebody else will have to round that up.

edit - Best Buy is now doing the same deal for the movie "Up". The case is THICK, not sure how many discs it holds, maybe 4?

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the back of the steelbook package, if you don't pick up your pre-order by 10/25/09, you can refund the pre-order. What I don't know is if you have to give back the steelbook or not if you refund the pre-order after 10/25, since it is listed on the receipt with a SKU #.

Just picked mine up yesturday at BB. They still had a couple of steelbooks left. I'll PM with TRU ad and get it for 9.99 AC. The steelbook is don't know... a bit "empty"... not a lot of designing went into it... looks really blank is what I mean. Still looks nice though from the inside. Can't wait to get the UP steelbook. :whistle2:D

[quote name='Greenboom98']The steelbook is don't know... a bit "empty"... not a lot of designing went into it... looks really blank is what I mean.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about, man. The cover is fucking class.

This is one of my favorite things about a lot of steelbooks. Quite a few of them use alternate art, that is often more subtle than the usual advertise-y photo collage covers you see on a lot of regular DVDs (make no mistake, though, they look great with full art, too; The Dark Knight and Indy 4 steelbooks are amazing). As collector's items, they're aware that they don't necessarily need to be loud enough to grab the attention of someone who doesn't already want to buy them. Some examples:
2297037799_a1923ce291.jpg

41zNCCY%2BPYL._SS500_.jpg

cloverfield-special-edition-images-20080324031432683-000.jpg

dvd2158825.jpg

I know what you mean CoffeeEdge. Still look nice nevertheless... By the way I also have the Cloverfield one too. One of my favorites is the Planet Terror & Deathproof ones ones... simply awesome.

[quote name='shrike4242']According to the back of the steelbook package, if you don't pick up your pre-order by 10/25/09, you can refund the pre-order. What I don't know is if you have to give back the steelbook or not if you refund the pre-order after 10/25, since it is listed on the receipt with a SKU #.[/QUOTE]
I look forward to hearing about people try this.
Walmart is probably going to be getting my cash since they take the coupons without blinking an eye.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I look forward to hearing about people try this.
Walmart is probably going to be getting my cash since they take the coupons without blinking an eye.[/QUOTE]Well, I'll be doing this, so you'll hear about it from me.

Worst case and they don't take it back without the steelbook, I'll get it for $17.50 w/a $5 GC to TRU, $10 from TRU AC and $7.50 for the "preorder" .

[quote name='shrike4242']Well, I'll be doing this, so you'll hear about it from me.

Worst case and they don't take it back without the steelbook, I'll get it for $17.50 w/a $5 GC to TRU, $10 from TRU AC and $7.50 for the "preorder" .[/QUOTE]
That's a good option, TRU is coupon friendly. I wouldn't normally sweat it but my pumpkin opened the steel book shrink.

I just canceled two pre-orders a few days ago. Handed them them the receipt and said "I would like to cancel these pre-orders". I got a refund, there was no mention of the Steelbooks.

I'll be picking this up from Wally along with MVA.

[quote name='shadowrage']I just canceled two pre-orders a few days ago. Handed them them the receipt and said "I would like to cancel these pre-orders". I got a refund, there was no mention of the Steelbooks.

I'll be picking this up from Wally along with MVA.[/QUOTE]

Check your credit card statement if you paid with a cc. I did this before with another pre order. On the receipt they return the whole price but on my cc statement they didn't refund the whole pre order price. They subtract it with the preorder item. BB is a bad company.

What happens if we never show up to pick up the pre-order at all? Do they wait two weeks then put the BD back on the shelf and I essentially paid $7.50 for the SteelBook? If this has already been discussed sorry.

[quote name='Trace17']What happens if we never show up to pick up the pre-order at all? Do they wait two weeks then put the BD back on the shelf and I essentially paid $7.50 for the SteelBook? If this has already been discussed sorry.[/QUOTE]

In my experience with pre-orders my store never held the pre-ordered copies aside anyway for people so they'd never know if you didn't pick it up at all or not. I guess they'd know on some report, but it wouldn't matter to them because nothing was being held outside of the normal stock on the shelf.

[quote name='Trace17']What happens if we never show up to pick up the pre-order at all? Do they wait two weeks then put the BD back on the shelf and I essentially paid $7.50 for the SteelBook? If this has already been discussed sorry.[/QUOTE]
Get a refund but keep your steelbook or sell it.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Isn't this sort of rip-off normally looked down on around here? What's going on?[/QUOTE]

Cancelling a pre-order is a common practice here and Best Buys own policies permit cancelling pre-orders for full refunds without returning the bonuses.

[quote name='dyeknom']Cancelling a pre-order is a common practice here and Best Buys own policies permit cancelling pre-orders for full refunds without returning the bonuses.[/QUOTE]

I find it hard to believe that BB doesn't mind people keeping the bonuses when they cancel a pre-order. Any evidence of these "policies"?

Will they probably do anything about it? No.

Does that make it okay? No.

End of the day, if you can live with it, then go ahead and do it. Of course, that goes for pretty much anything in life though.

On a less morally dubious topic. Is anyone here getting the BluRay Book combo? I assume that the combo comes in a hopefully decent slipcase.

I'd love the steelbook but don't see a reason if I can't store everything in it. Can it even house all the 3 discs?

Free offer for the steelbook is officially gone from the online store. I tried adding both to my cart and it's charging me $15.00 for the SB and $24.99 for the movie which is just too much when TRU is offering the movie for $19.99 (and probably more willing to accept the $10 off coupon).

Thought about going the route of ordering from BB and adding Sleeping Beauty on Blu Ray to get the $15 GC, but the movie is jacked up to $29.99 now which makes this deal totally blow.

I was able to price match the TRU ad and use the disney snow white coupon so my total was $11.25 with tax. Good deal especially having the steelbook.

Picked mine up with no hassle whatsoever even though I feared the wrath of Satan with all the initial pre-order, checking out, fiasco. Grabbed the BD for $24.99, proceeded to customer service. Lady asked me what I needed, I said 'just to pay for this, I pre-ordered it and it says to come to the customer service counter." At this point, I got a 'Whaaaa..." expression from her, and a "You pre-ordered that?? did you put like $5 down?" I said, "No, it was $7.50, and I have my receipt right here." She scanned the receipt, then the movie. Asked for $18.22 (w/ tax). I even glanced over the counter at the screen (they never face you at the CSR desk) and noticed the pre-order line item was in red. I guess they have special buttons to handle pre-orders.

At any rate, I'm glad I had no problems and got this magnificent package of a blu ray and get to introduce something new to my 3 year old son.

[quote name='ryosnk']I was able to price match the TRU ad and use the disney snow white coupon so my total was $11.25 with tax. Good deal especially having the steelbook.[/QUOTE]

Wow, very lucky there. They don't normally let you use a coupon if you price match.

[quote name='koji126']Wow, very lucky there. They don't normally let you use a coupon if you price match.[/QUOTE]

They do if it's a manufacturer's coupon (they get reimbursed the same amount no matter what).

[quote name='cloudspear']Check your credit card statement if you paid with a cc. I did this before with another pre order. On the receipt they return the whole price but on my cc statement they didn't refund the whole pre order price. They subtract it with the preorder item. BB is a bad company.[/QUOTE]
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here but in this case wouldn't he own them $7.50 before leaving, since the retail for the steelbook is $15?

Went to the new bb at fox hills and cancelled the pre order. Got no mention of the steelbooks. I asked if I could pm but was denied so I cancelled. Ended up getting them at amazon for $5 each
ing Details : (order will arrive in 1 shipment)
Order #: 002-7067825-8814639
Shipping Method: Two-Day Shipping
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $ $39.98
Shipping & Handling: $ $0.00
Promotion Applied: $ -$0.00
Promotion Applied: $ -$20.00
Snow White Thanks: $ -$10.00
$ ------
Total for this Order: $ $9.98

$
Delivery estimate:$October 21, 2009$-$October 26, 2009
2 "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + BD Live w/ Blu-ray packaging) [Blu-ray]"
Adriana Caselotti; Blu-ray; $19.99

ARGH, I KNOW I put the receipt for my pre-order in my wallet but now it's nowhere to be found. The whole reason I did that is so I wouldn't lose it. ugh. Do they NEED the ORIGINAL receipt or could I take the printout from the Reward Zone entry for the pre-order?

[quote name='lawdood']Anyone know if you have to go back to the same BB you pre-ordered from in order to pick up your pre-order?[/QUOTE]

I believe so.

[quote name='hobbie8046']They do if it's a manufacturer's coupon (they get reimbursed the same amount no matter what).[/QUOTE]

Cool, I guess I'll give a pm a chance then. Thanks.

[quote name='koji126']Cool, I guess I'll give a pm a chance then. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I just PMed Wal-Mart's ad of $19.96 and paid $9.96 plus tax. It MAY be YMMV, but it's a weak one if it is.

[quote name='Ed_']Went to the new bb at fox hills and cancelled the pre order. Got no mention of the steelbooks. I asked if I could pm but was denied so I cancelled. Ended up getting them at amazon for $5 each
ing Details : (order will arrive in 1 shipment)
Order #: 002-7067825-8814639
Shipping Method: Two-Day Shipping
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $ $39.98
Shipping & Handling: $ $0.00
Promotion Applied: $ -$0.00
Promotion Applied: $ -$20.00
Snow White Thanks: $ -$10.00
$ ------
Total for this Order: $ $9.98

$
Delivery estimate:$October 21, 2009$-$October 26, 2009
2 "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + BD Live w/ Blu-ray packaging) [Blu-ray]"
Adriana Caselotti; Blu-ray; $19.99[/QUOTE]

How did you get that extra $10.00 off?

The TRU deal was sweet. I even got them to combine the balace from my video game pre-order bonus cards to the new TRU GC. Now it wont expire before I need it.

I got hassled at the Valley Stream/Green Acres BBY here in NY. I bring the disc up to CS, tell the girl that I have a preorder on it, then that I'd like to price match the TRU ad, and that I also had a coupon to use on it. So she takes the ad and coupon, looks at the TRU deal, and tells me that I can't use the coupon and get a pm, that it's one or the other. I question her as to why and she says that that's how they work with special offers. I tell her it's a manufacturer's coupon and no where does it state I can't use it. She then proceeds to call a supervisor.

So another girl shows up, the CSR tells her what was going on, and pretty much the same thing happens. One or the other and that they don't take coupons on special offers/sale items. I said that's not right because this isn't a Best Buy coupon sent to my home from them. Had it been one of those 10% off coupons, then fine, I know how that goes, but this isn't. This was straight from Disney. I dunno if it was because she heard that or if it was because she finally saw the blurb about going to snowwhiteoffer.com in the TRU ad for the coupon, but she said that I was right, explained to the CSR what to do, and apologized.

So in the end, the CSR did the price match, applied the preorder amount, then the coupon, and when all was said and done I only paid $3.57 after tax. Somehow some RZ certs were applied ($1 off the preorder price, and another off the pm price) but I guess that's because I used some RZ coupons on Sunday on another purchase that included the steelbook.

I got hassled at the Valley Stream/Green Acres BBY here in NY. I bring the disc up to CS, tell the girl that I have a preorder on it, then that I'd like to price match the TRU ad, and that I also had a coupon to use on it. So she takes the ad and coupon, looks at the TRU deal, and tells me that I can't use the coupon and get a pm, that it's one or the other. I question her as to why and she says that that's how they work with special offers. I tell her it's a manufacturer's coupon and no where does it state I can't use it. She then proceeds to call a supervisor.

So another girl shows up, the CSR tells her what was going on, and pretty much the same thing happens. One or the other and that they don't take coupons on special offers/sale items. I said that's not right because this isn't a Best Buy coupon sent to my home from them. Had it been one of those 10% off coupons, then fine, I know how that goes, but this isn't. This was straight from Disney. I dunno if it was because she heard that or if it was because she finally saw the blurb about going to snowwhiteoffer.com in the TRU ad for the coupon, but she said that I was right, explained to the CSR what to do, and apologized.

So in the end, the CSR did the price match, applied the preorder amount, then the coupon, and when all was said and done I only paid $3.57 after tax. Somehow some RZ certs were applied ($1 off the preorder price, and another off the pm price) but I guess that's because I used some RZ coupons on Sunday on another purchase that included the steelbook.

I'm back from Best Buy. Went to the CSR and told them that I wanted to PM to Toys R Us and use the coupon. She told me initially that the price was already $19.99 and so she just went to call over someone to override something and let me use the coupon. Ended up paying about $3.XX which was awesome.

On my way out, this girl stops me in the parking lot to ask how much the movie was. I told her it was initially $24.99, but I did a PM and used a $10 off coupon. I gave her the ad that I printed out from Toys R Us and the extra coupon I had in my pocket (printed out 2 on accident; one was originally folded together with my coupon and I printed a fresh one that I didn't fold this morning). So there's my good deed for today too.

I just got back from BB in West Albuquerque... I got the blu+DVD for $2.xx after the Pre-order was applied, PM to TRU and used coupon. The girl tried to tell me they didn't take Disney MFG coupons so I told her to cancel the pre-order. She just did an override on the price without the coupon.

Best Buy price matched TRU for me, accepted the $10 coupon, and applied my 2 Snow White preorders back without any issues. I only bought 1 copy of the blu-ray and got to keep both Steelbooks. The remaining $5 was applied to a copy of Trick R' Treat on DVD.

Just got back from BB here in Corpus. They accepted 2 $10 coupons for my 2 preorders without a question. Paid additional $2.97. Chose BB instead of my preorders at TRU with a $5 GC. Its like buying the steelbook cases for $5 each. Not bad since I used by Rewards card at BB too.

[quote name='munch']So, what happens if I just don't pick up my preorder?[/QUOTE]

BB will send Geek Squad cars to your billing address and...

you-gonna-get-raped-yorapper.jpg

To make a long story short, I went to bestbuy to pick up my preorder happy with spending $17 for the bluray and steel book. They would not price match walmart cause they swore it was a different version. So I got my money back and kept the steel book. Then went to TRU and bought it for 19.99-10.00 coupon and to my surprise they also gave me a $5 gift card so this is the final deal:

Snow White Blu-ray
Steel Book
$5 gift card

Total: $10.99

man, everyone is getting me down w/ all this PMing and coupons, only paying $3.XX!!! Had I been more on top of things, I would have tried too, oh well, I'm watching it now. This DisneyView thing to take care of the black sides for a 4:3 ratio is a kick-ass implementation. Surprised no other movies have tried this until now (XBL games don't count!)

[quote name='munch']So, what happens if I just don't pick up my preorder?[/QUOTE]

Your $7.50 pre-order is refunded. You however can keep the steel book.

Are you guys just printing out the ad for TRU? I have 3 pre-orders at BB I want to PM with the TRU ad, but want to make sure they will accept a printout of the TRU ad and not have to have the original ad from the newspaper.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Are you guys just printing out the ad for TRU? I have 3 pre-orders at BB I want to PM with the TRU ad, but want to make sure they will accept a printout of the TRU ad and not have to have the original ad from the newspaper.[/QUOTE]

Some people are posting its a print out, however, I'd say YMMV b/c if they really wanted to hassle you, a cunning CSR may say it cannot be accepted b/c its a printout and could have been altered (even though I've never really heard of this happening, just a thought...) I say try it w/ the printout, if that fails, some places might still have a Sunday ad section for sale...

I ended up doing the TRU deal, ended up only costing $5 if you figure in the $5 GC you get at pickup. Plus I had a $15 GC from the Scribbenauts deal a couple weeks back so it worked out even better.

I was able to cancel my pre-order at Best Buy no problem, no mention of the steelbook, so all in all walked away with the Snow White BD w/Steelbook for $5! :)

bread's done
Back