Free videogame pre-order goodies at Best Buy: Uncharted 2, Ratchet 2 DLC codes + more

Purkeynator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
148 (100%)
I discovered a weird glitch at my local Best Buy in Riverdale Ut. Last week I pre-ordered a copy of Uncharted 2 with the pre-order box that comes with a code inside for gold weapons in the multiplayer mode that is active once the game is released. The pre-order was supposed to be $5 as usual, however after the cashier rang up my reward zone card the pre-order came up as free and I happily walked out with an Uncharted 2 gold weapons code at no cost.
Tonight I figured I would try my luck again and I went for the Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time pre-order box which includes a code for an "Exlusive Power Package" including a weapon skin, extra hit points, and the cryo-mine glove. Once again the pre-order rang up as $5 but as soon as the cashier scanned my rewardzone card it rang up as 0.00 and again I walked out with a a receipt and a pre-order box with code.
I am not sure why this is happening but free DLC is always alright in my book. I don't really care if I actually pick up the game upon release or not as I usually wait for prices to drop way lower than $60 and the pre-order cost me nothing. I am not sure if its the reward zone card itself, the fact that I am in the reward zone gamers club, or the fact that I am a premier silver member. However one thing I am sure of is that the sleuths on CAG with figure it out and "crack the code" in a short time. Then you can all go forth and grab them shits.

*update* September 23: Ok so I may have omitted certain details in my original post. The first purchase I made was actually 2 pre-orders of Uncharted. The second time I tried, I picked up a pre-order of Uncharted and a pre-order of Ratchet. My reasoning was that I did not want to invite the "hoarder" comments that I wrought upon myself in the penny guide thread for snatching up multiple penny guides at once back in the day. The common link the game seems to have over the dozens of comments is that you can only get two pre-orders and one of them must be Uncharted for the "glitch" to work and give you two free pre-orders. As I knew would happen, CAGs cracked the code once again. Well done.

Here is a good list of pre-order bonuses thanks to Jodou:

Here's the compiled list of pre-order bonuses:

Brutal Legend - LP sleeve to hold your game and sports some attractive artwork on the inside cover.

Halo 3: ODST - Unlock Sgt. Avery Johnson for play in the new Firefight mode.

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time - Unlock the Cryo-Mine glove exclusive weapon skin that yields extra hit points when equipped.

Tekken 6 - Laser cell and tattooed sleeve.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Unlock gold-plated versions of the Beretta and AK-47 for multi-player.

*update Oct 13* Now that Uncharted 2 has been released, many stores have pulled their remaining stock of pre-order boxes from the shelves. It has now become YMMV as to whether you will find out some left over pre-order boxes at your local Best Buy. Apparently if you can find them the deal still works.

Last edited by a moderator:
went to BB today.
The cashier scanned my RZ card first then scanned R&C and Uncharted 2.
Both rang up $5.
did not grab any of them and walked out empty handed.
Did I do something wrong??

Crap I bought an uncharted 2 and brutal legend that I'll be returning soon. Should've just walked up but I go in there a lot and don't want to seem like a prick. Weird thing was I watched the register and it said 0.00 then she hit something else and it went up to 10. something... oh well.

Nevermind I was mistaken. DragonAge preorder does not come with anything. I thought it did because the box was sealed, but I guess the Mass Effect armor comes packed in the game.

I didn't even have to give them my RewardZone card. As soon as the cashier scanned both items, a popup came up that asked to apply the discount. They clicked to confirm and dropped the price to zero. I even had the RewardZone card in my hand, but they went ahead and did the transaction before scanning. Seems like it could be automatic, depending on the cashier.

Got Uncharted 2 and Tekken 6.

i got Uncharted 2 and R&C w/o problem. the rep that would be $10+ and i just pointed @ the screen. i was going to get a set for my friend too but glad i didnt cuz i would of tried on the same transaction. cant wait til UC2 drops!

[quote name='nateeasy29']Can you cancel preorders in the store? I like to cancel Dragonage since it did not come with anything.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just stop by the customer service desk. If you have the receipt with you they are very quick about it :)

[quote name='snives']Yeah, just stop by the customer service desk. If you have the receipt with you they are very quick about it :)[/QUOTE]

Will it be an issue since I took the plastic wrap off the case or will I even need that?

So do you need 2 games for this to work, or should it work with only one?

... I went in today and grabbed just the Uncharted 2 box and was charged $5 for it. This was at the BB in Burbank, CA ... Is this deal YMMV?

[quote name='JSD']So do you need 2 games for this to work, or should it work with only one?

... I went in today and grabbed just the Uncharted 2 box and was charged $5 for it. This was at the BB in Burbank, CA ... Is this deal YMMV?[/QUOTE]

You need at least two and from the looks of it, one of them has to be Uncharted

I want the R&C and Tekken ones, can I do R&C+U2 first, then the next day do T6+U2? I may have to hide some Uncharted boxes at this rate.

Edit: I don't really want to walk around and buy again from the same person, but can I do all 4 in one transaction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Uncharted 2 has to be one of the pre-orders. I tried it with Dragon Age and Brutal Legend, but no dice. I swapped out Dragon Age with Uncharted 2 and the deal went through just fine.

This is how I think it works:

Uncharted 2 pre-order has a glitch that takes $5 off itself, and $5 off an additional game item, instead of the $10 off $29.99 that it is supposed to do.

This is why the additional pre-order is also free, since it costs $5 but gets $5 off. This is also why the person who bought the Uncharted 2 pre-order and a $19.99 game got $5 off that other game.

So in short: The Uncharted 2 pre-order is effectively a $5 off coupon off any gaming item.

Just picked up my U2 & R&C pre-orders for $0.00. The cashier was surprised & wasn't sure what just happened. It was $10 before they hit a button, then the prompt for the discount popped up, hit another button and out popped my receipt. :cool:

[quote name='B:L']Yes, Uncharted 2 has to be one of the pre-orders. I tried it with Dragon Age and Brutal Legend, but no dice. I swapped out Dragon Age with Uncharted 2 and the deal went through just fine.

This is how I think it works:

Uncharted 2 pre-order has a glitch that takes $5 off itself, and $5 off an additional game item, instead of the $10 off $29.99 that it is supposed to do.

This is why the additional pre-order is also free, since it costs $5 but gets $5 off. This is also why the person who bought the Uncharted 2 pre-order and a $19.99 game got $5 off that other game.

So in short: The Uncharted 2 pre-order is effectively a $5 off coupon off any gaming item.[/QUOTE]

Good job of summing things up. I went to Best Buy today, and was going to take advantage of this (was going to pre-order UC2 and R&C). However, I couldn't find any copies of either game to pre-order (they were probably at the front of the store). Also, I didn't want to mess up my $20 off coupon for F.E.A.R. 2 for PS3 or my $5 RZ Certificate. I guess I could have gone back and did a separate transaction (just to get them alone), but I decided not to.

This is a great opportunity to knock $5 off any $20 to $40 game that you've been on the fence about buying due to price (there are some great GH games available for only $24.99 with this promo- Uncharted, R&C Future, and MGS4 immediately come to mind). You could essentially do 3,4, or even more pre-orders simply to get the $5 off another game. You could also share those "extra" PSN codes for UC2 with your fellow CAGers while you're at it too! ;)

Tried this yesterday (22nd), I pre-ordered Uncharted 2 and Ratchet and Clank in a single transaction. They rang up as $5 a piece and then zeroed out when the cashier hit total (after scanning my Reward Zone Card -- normal not silver).

This seems to only work on the PS3 exclusive games that come in that box, not pre-orders that come in the DVD-like case. I tried again, after having success on these 2 games, to pre-order Tekken 6 and Brutal Legend -- just for the freebies, but no luck -- they were $5 plus tax each.

However, because they do not require any form of payment, card or cash, I believe these are simply free for some reason and do not count toward a pre-order. On my Reward Zone website it also does not show the purchase as counting toward my points, and on the receipt there is no indication that these were pre-orders. It makes no mention of the 5$ being toward any game.

I will note that I have never pre-ordered at BestBuy so perhaps that is not something that is ever stated.

Uncharted is cheaper on Amazon anyway and you get the free map, at Gamestop you get access to the multiplayer.
Not up to date with Ratchet and Clank -- sorry.

[quote name='nateeasy29']Will it be an issue since I took the plastic wrap off the case or will I even need that?[/QUOTE]

lol... you open it.. you bought it.

Thanks Guardian. The case was misleading. I thought there was a free dlc code in it since it was sealed. I was surprised when I opened it and it was empty. I will probably buy it when it comes out, but not from best buy.

[quote name='nateeasy29']Thanks Guardian. The case was misleading. I thought there was a free dlc code in it since it was sealed. I was surprised when I opened it and it was empty. I will probably buy it when it comes out, but not from best buy.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, well, yes the DLC should be inside the box. But it won't be active until the game is released. Both of my boxes had the DLC code inside.

I researched it some and the armor advertised on the outside of the box comes packed with the game. It was DragonAge. I could not find anything on Best Buys site claiming it came with a preorder bonus. The sealed case that says "Includes Blood Dragon Armor for both Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2" made me think it did. But I guess that means it comes with the game.

[quote name='GuardianE']Actually, no. You just need the receipt to get your refund.[/QUOTE]

In that case people could just get the code and return

[quote name='nateeasy29']I researched it some and the armor advertised on the outside of the box comes packed with the game. It was DragonAge. I could not find anything on Best Buys site claiming it came with a preorder bonus. The sealed case that says "Includes Blood Dragon Armor for both Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2" made me think it did. But I guess that means it comes with the game.[/QUOTE]

Indeed its confusing. It's weird because almost every other retailer has a unique item you get for a preorder.

It's almost like BB worded it that way to make you think they had one too.

- you only get RZ points on money you spend (not including tax). So if you buy $200 and get 10% off coupon, you're not gonna get RZ points for $20 = 20 points.

-if the Pre-order COMES with bonus content in the package and the package was opened, it depends on how smart your CS guys are. If there was a soundtrack er glove er whatever, they would check to make sure you return the PO with the original contents, but is still refundable. If the soundtrack has been opened (at least for CA law) any open media cannot be refunded so you would not get this PO refunded. If the PO's contained DLC and was opened, those would be non-refundable because those codes could get written down.

-I'm still unsure if JUST U2 is the magic trigger here. I will proly head out to my nearest BBY tomorrow and try and PO CoD6 and see if that does the same as U2. If not, U2 is about to hit record highs for PO's at BBY so ppl can get the $5 off multiple games!

[quote name='nateeasy29']I researched it some and the armor advertised on the outside of the box comes packed with the game. It was DragonAge. I could not find anything on Best Buys site claiming it came with a preorder bonus. The sealed case that says "Includes Blood Dragon Armor for both Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2" made me think it did. But I guess that means it comes with the game.[/QUOTE]The Blood Dragon armor for Dragon Age is included with all the CE's, not in the regular edition, and it's not a pre-order bonus.

As others have stated, this deal appears to only work if Uncharted 2 is one of the pre-orders. I wonder though if the other item has to be a game. It would be nice to grab U2 + a $20 PSN card for $15.

Also, I saw Rock Revolution for $5. I probably would have went back in and gotten it if it had trophies. Are there any other cheap games to look out for?

Thanks for all the clarifications everyone! I will try again today, and probably have to return my first attempt later in the week.

(also @ B:L : your avatar is highly disturbing :D)

Just picked up UC2 and MW2 and it rang up $0.00. The cashier said $10.75 and when it started printed, he got very confused why it was $0.00. So I said, "i guess it is free" and he said do you want a bag for these. "Yes and Thank you"as I walked out. Thanks OP!

Yesterday, I tried getting UC2 preorder + PS3 Rock Revolution ($4.99), but the combination only discounted the preorder item to $0.00 and kept the $4.99 charge for the PS3 RR game. Anyone had better luck on something similar?

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Yesterday, I tried getting UC2 preorder + PS3 Rock Revolution ($4.99), but the combination only discounted the preorder item to $0.00 and kept the $4.99 charge for the PS3 RR game. Anyone had better luck on something similar?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't the game have to be more than $30 retail? Since the pre-orders are technically for a $60 game, I thought that was the loophole.

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone been able to get the free pre-orders AND the current promo of $10 off a game $29.99 or higher when you pre-order a game?

[quote name='GuardianE']Yes. And that's exactly what some people do.[/QUOTE]

then why are people so excited about this deal. if you wanted exclusives why not just buy and return?

[quote name='judgedee']then why are people so excited about this deal. if you wanted exclusives why not just buy and return?[/QUOTE]

Hassle free.

NYC 5 ave. It works..I got UC2 and Ratchet 2 for $0.
There are a lot left.

I just got this because it's free and everyone was talking about it.

But now I have a question, Why do people want to return the pre-order? It was free, you get back $0.

[quote name='Readthepost']NYC 5 ave. It works..I got UC2 and Ratchet 2 for $0.
There are a lot left.

I just got this because it's free and everyone was talking about it.

But now I have a question, Why do people want to return the pre-order? It was free, you get back $0.[/QUOTE]

Preorders are suppose to cost $5, that's why.

[quote name='Vortextk']Hassle free.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, basically. It's a pain in the ass to have to wait, come back in a few days and perform a return or if you're shameless, walk right back in and do a return. Also, there's no money spent in this transaction at all, which is a plus.

Any pre-order bonus is free. And you can always cancel a pre-order. Technically, you could follow through with your purchase entirely and then return the game, sans bonus, at your leisure since it's still sealed.

I just left the BB in Joplin, MO and it worked for U2 & Rachet & Clank. Thanks OP. I planned on buying U2 wherever has the best deal the week it's released but free DLC is awesome!!

[quote name='Wario64']Preorders are suppose to cost $5, that's why.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm not making myself clear.

People buy the pre-order UC2 + another for $0. They open the package and get and keep the code. Then the same people go to return/cancel their pre-order with a receipt. WHY?
Is BB going to give you back $5?

If you just wait 5 days after the release...the pre-order will cancel itself out.

So again why are people returning/canceling their pre-orders?

[quote name='Readthepost']Maybe I'm not making myself clear.

People buy the pre-order UC2 + another for $0. They open the package and get and keep the code. Then the same people go to return/cancel their pre-order with a receipt. WHY?

If you just wait 5 days after the release...the pre-order will cancel itself out.

So again why are people returning/canceling their pre-orders?[/QUOTE]

Who says they're returning their free preorders?

[quote name='Readthepost']Maybe I'm not making myself clear.

So again why are people returning/canceling their pre-orders?[/QUOTE]
The preorder will cancel itself out 5 days after release but you still have to GO BACK to the store and get your $5 back. Some people just don't want to wait and cancel/get their money back.

bread's done
Back