Game and Watch Super Mario Brothers SEMI LIVE YET

Shadowmoses12

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Again, bonkers what folks will say about defending a Nintendo practice. So according to this guy, THIS is priced too cheaply? $50 for a 35 year old 8-bit game is underpriced, folks ... you heard it here.

Wow.
Seriously? Do you think there was zero research, new software development and new hardware to get this working? Let alone the actual cost of manufacturing, shipping, etc?

They aren't selling you a digital copy of the ROM for $50. I think your "shock" is slightly out of alignment with reality.

Just vote with your wallet and don’t buy Nintendo stuff.
Pretty sure the complainers want the device but are too cheap to see the value in it. So they have to complain about the device and others interested in it to talk themselves down from buying it themselves. It's a vicious circle for these poor conflicted folks.

I only really wanted it if it got hacked. 8mb of storage though... kind of a bit weak for having any kind of decent nes collection and it still being functional as a G&W. If I wanted to leave a portable device out with super mario bros on it... I could pop some batteries in my gbc, insert my copy of Super Mario Deluxe, and leave it on an end table or something so people could randomly play.

Pretty sure the complainers want the device but are too cheap to see the value in it. So they have to complain about the device and others interested in it to talk themselves down from buying it themselves. It's a vicious circle for these poor conflicted folks.

I only really wanted it if it got hacked. 8mb of storage though... kind of a bit weak for having any kind of decent nes collection and it still being functional as a G&W. If I wanted to leave a portable device out with super mario bros on it... I could pop some batteries in my gbc, insert my copy of Super Mario Deluxe, and leave it on an end table or something so people could randomly play.
Nah, I admit I wanted one when I saw the video but my interest faded. This is not about being cheap. I just wish Nintendo had put more on it. As it is, it's just not worth it for me. Different strokes for different folks, of course.

I just enjoy poking the Nintendo fanboys. I like Nintendo, too (see the Nintendo boards), and have supported them since the NES days (yes, even the Wii and Wii U). But again, I'll call a spade a spade wheN I see it. I'm not favoring all these nostalgia gimmicks Nintendo has been doing. I'm sure some of this is just being sour about Nintendo's handling of Wii U, and that it never brought out a physical copy of Fatal Frame on Wii U over here. :p

I agree there's not enough content on the device.  BUT, I don't think it's necessary to make a bigger deal about it or poke at people who think it has plenty of content or that they are happy to throw their money at a collectible like this.  People buy a lot of dumb stuff, IMO.  I mean, figurines for goodness sake and over priced Special Editons for games so they can take those contents and put them in a box in their closet.  But if it's what they want, so be it.   It's a foolish way to spend money, but then I do have an overpriced official dragon quest slime vinyl figure from japan on my desk at home... because... why the hell not.

Gaming may be a foolish way to spend money, but its one of the best hobbies to keep you busy for the price. Pre-covid, people would spend $50-100 for a family for a couple hours at a movie theater. You can take that same amount of money and buy a few games (depending on the game, of course) and have many hours of entertainment, again, depending on the specific games you buy. I use to spend thousands on my minitruck that I still have, and it was worth it to me, but it didn't add a penny to its value. In fact, I wont get none of that money back. All our hobbies are frivolous spending. Who cares how others spend their money, as long as you enjoy the product.

Gaming may be a foolish way to spend money, but its one of the best hobbies to keep you busy for the price. Pre-covid, people would spend $50-100 for a family for a couple hours at a movie theater. You can take that same amount of money and buy a few games (depending on the game, of course) and have many hours of entertainment, again, depending on the specific games you buy. I use to spend thousands on my minitruck that I still have, and it was worth it to me, but it didn't add a penny to its value. In fact, I wont get none of that money back. All our hobbies are frivolous spending. Who cares how others spend their money, as long as you enjoy the product.
incredible bang for the buck. that being said, people need to stop equating length with quality. (that's what she said).

some of us have less time. the fact that fire emblem takes 80 hours to complete ONE house is kind of a turn off for me. and i fucking love FE. I'm looking forward to playing shadow dragon again.

and bioshock... and super mario sunshine... and mario + rabiids....THERE"S TOO MANY GAMES ARGGGGGHHH

Good value per hour for sure. However, I just wait 2-3 month after a game comes outs to buy. Way cheaper that way. Very few games do I buy on launch. Honestly it’s for the better. Devs treat gamers like beta testers as of late. Wish we could get a finished product like back in the day.

incredible bang for the buck. that being said, people need to stop equating length with quality. (that's what she said).

some of us have less time. the fact that fire emblem takes 80 hours to complete ONE house is kind of a turn off for me. and i fucking love FE. I'm looking forward to playing shadow dragon again.

and bioshock... and super mario sunshine... and mario + rabiids....THERE"S TOO MANY GAMES ARGGGGGHHH
Good value per hour for sure. However, I just wait 2-3 month after a game comes outs to buy. Way cheaper that way. Very few games do I buy on launch. Honestly it’s for the better. Devs treat gamers like beta testers as of late. Wish we could get a finished product like back in the day.
Agree with everyone here. Frankly, there are far worse vices one could have than buying video games.

If it makes you happy, then that's all that matters.

After 35 years, I can say I finally beat Super Mario Bros. 8-4 was hard!  :wall:

If I wasn't working from home, this would actually be a decent shitting device. Grab it, beat a few SMB2 levels, etc. Maybe eventually we'll be able to play Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light on it!  :whee:

After 35 years, I can say I finally beat Super Mario Bros. 8-4 was hard! :wall:

If I wasn't working from home, this would actually be a decent shitting device. Grab it, beat a few SMB2 levels, etc. Maybe eventually we'll be able to play Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light on it! :whee:
8-4 is brutal. When my kid and I got to the underwater passage in that castle we both yelled "oh come on!" Still haven't beaten it on game and watch ...yet.

8-4 is brutal. When my kid and I got to the underwater passage in that castle we both yelled "oh come on!" Still haven't beaten it on game and watch ...yet.
Yep, and after reaching World 4 of Mario Bros 2, I can understand why they didn't localize it and went with Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic for the US.

As for using this as an actual "watch"/clock, I stuck a popsocket to the back of mine to have it stand up :joystick:

Yep, and after reaching World 4 of Mario Bros 2, I can understand why they didn't localize it and went with Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic for the US.

As for using this as an actual "watch"/clock, I stuck a popsocket to the back of mine to have it stand up :joystick:
We did eventually beat 8-4, but it's pretty rough. In 2 I think we are in world 2-2? We used the unlimited lives code and just pass it back and forth taking turns and laughing hysterically at how impossible this game is for us.

Great call on the pop socket.

I don't know if anyone is still interested, or if someone already addressed this, but the 10% off Target circle coupon and 5% off birthday coupon can be applied to the game and watch.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

That makes the price a little better.

I noticed my walmart had about 10 or so of these in the case this weekend.  IF only it was easily hackable and had enough storage for a good 50 games ... I'd grab one... and maybe a second if I liked it enough.  As is... they can rot on the shelf.

That said... I might come around to a Zelda G&W next year with it's 35th anniversary.  SMB/SMB-LostLevels... just ... not as appealing.  Zelda 1 & 2... that could be cool.  Dragon Quest also has it's 35th anniversary as well.... and they've teased something is in the works.

That makes the price a little better.

I noticed my walmart had about 10 or so of these in the case this weekend. IF only it was easily hackable and had enough storage for a good 50 games ... I'd grab one... and maybe a second if I liked it enough. As is... they can rot on the shelf.

That said... I might come around to a Zelda G&W next year with it's 35th anniversary. SMB/SMB-LostLevels... just ... not as appealing. Zelda 1 & 2... that could be cool. Dragon Quest also has it's 35th anniversary as well.... and they've teased something is in the works.
Agreed, nightc1. I just don't see the appeal of this device, and I grew up owning a few of these Game and Watch handhelds. The whole package just seems too "meh," for me. I can play SMB on other devices, and frankly, on ones that would be much more comfortable for my big hands.

Also, as you note, this not being easily hackable is the deal-breaker for me. It looks like Nintendo spent some R&D time to ensure buyers can't easily add games to the device, which makes the whole package that much less attractive. I get why Nintendo wants to block it, sure. It's just that doing so means the $40 price tag for what's there makes it a super short nostalgic trip.

Honestly, I would have loved these more if they just would have included a bunch of actual G&W titles, as I have ZERO need for another way to play SMB1/2 in this form factor. As it sits, I bought one, but only to make sure I could get one for my sons Xmas gift, so I may keep the extra, maybe not, still undecided. 

I think I’m actually going to return mine ... I never opened it and it just doesn’t seem like something that would hold my attention very long. As others have said, if it could do more, I could justify holding onto it.

bread's done
Back