Game and Watch Super Mario Brothers SEMI LIVE YET

Shadowmoses12

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Just glad this wasn't a PS5 situation with stuff selling out in seconds.  Happy to wait for mine, though BB says it will be here Tuesday.

So sounds like this won't be easy to hack as the NES and SNES Classics as you gotta pry it open to tinker around because the USB outlet only connects to the battery and not the CPU or anything. Which is a bummer, but ehhh...my PSP still works.

It's tempting, my local Best Buy has them in stock.  But, I just retrofitted my old Gameboy Advance SP with a new case, IPS screen and battery and have an Experimental Pi with a Pi4 in it to cover handheld retro gaming so I'm thinking hold off.

Woo! Just got one!!

Wait I'm confused- I read earlier it never went live on Amazon?
It went live about an hour ago and is still there. Same with GameStop, came back there and has held. Seems like there are plenty of these for the time being.
I think I was just kind amped up that I actually got one and read the post as it meaning it was in stock all day at Amazon. I didn't realize they meant it as "it's still in stock longer than a few minutes".

Whatever I'm just glad I can cancel my UK order.

I don't trust Amazon to ship me one without it getting squished in an envelope, and I don't think I REALLY need this.  I'll put the money towards updating more of my retro consoles.

Anyone actually opened and played around with one of these yet? Thoughts on build quality? Picked up one as more of a speculative thing if they become hard to find but not convinced it’s worth $50 yet.

Anyone actually opened and played around with one of these yet? Thoughts on build quality? Picked up one as more of a speculative thing if they become hard to find but not convinced it’s worth $50 yet.
There are plenty of vids of it on YouTube. I think the consensus is only worth it for collectors. Build quality is good, but not something you would want to play on due to size. Also doesn't include kickstand and can't keep screen on without being plugged in, so you can't easily use it as a desk clock.

I would maybe bite at $30 but not $50.

There are plenty of vids of it on YouTube. I think the consensus is only worth it for collectors. Build quality is good, but not something you would want to play on due to size. Also doesn't include kickstand and can't keep screen on without being plugged in, so you can't easily use it as a desk clock.

I would maybe bite at $30 but not $50.
You can make a stand out of nearly anything. Don't let that stop you.

I went back and forth on whether or not I was going to buy this. Ultimately it came down to the fact that I wouldn't sell any of my old portable gaming systems for $50, if I still had my game and watches I wouldn't sell any of them for $50 either, and while I wouldn't pay $50 for an LCD game and watch today, I could see myself attempting a project to retrofit a portable NES into one of my older handhelds only to take hours and never finish it.

Using that "math" this makes sense for me, but to each their own.

Got mine today from Amazon. Nice screen and tbs D pad feels good to me.

Hold "A" on the time screen to launch the "how to draw Mario" video, which is really really weird.

Oddly small box but feels highly collectible. I could see them doing a Zelda version next year ... green and gold maybe ... would probably buy that too ...

Oddly small box but feels highly collectible. I could see them doing a Zelda version next year ... green and gold maybe ... would probably buy that too ...
I can see them doing a double screen version. The original ds’ designed was inspired by the Zelda double screen game and watch.

I think the build quality is fine. Screen is sharp to my old eyes and the built-in "cheat codes" are enough to allow me to actually beat both marios on the system one day (hold A down for unlimited lives, hit B for world select on title screen)

Agreed. This thing was destined for the shelf anyways, and if they have multiple games of the same form factor count me in as well!

I’m aware these are collectibles, but no, no, no, no way $49.99. They’re like McDonald’s toys with a screen in them. It’s cool but it was an immediate regret. $19 would be the most I’d pay and still feel some remorse.

I’m aware these are collectibles, but no, no, no, no way $49.99. They’re like McDonald’s toys with a screen in them. It’s cool but it was an immediate regret. $19 would be the most I’d pay and still feel some remorse.
Really? Sorry to hear it. I left mine on the coffee table it makes me smile every time I see it. Plus my kid has picked it up to play it twice in less than 24 hours.

Maybe I'm more nostalgic? Certainly the part of my brain that feels remorse over pointless purchases has been burned out from abuse.

The “poor” build quality is period correct. I hear you $50 bucks is a little steep but Nintendo doesn’t try to be a value minded company. They focus on premium gaming experiences and if you sold something outside that premium range it hurts your brand image. Can’t blame them.

mustve sold out within a few hours. By end of day, they had none left, and are still OOS. More manufactured demand due to purposefully limiting supply 

The “poor” build quality is period correct. I hear you $50 bucks is a little steep but Nintendo doesn’t try to be a value minded company. They focus on premium gaming experiences and if you sold something outside that premium range it hurts your brand image. Can’t blame them.
You know, it always amazes me how so many people come out to defend Nintendo's practices, regardless how anti-consumer they are, or how unreasonably or impractically high the it is charging.

Decade old ports re-released on Switch at full price? Loyalist: it's just a Switch premium, what's the proble.

Limited-time digital availability? Loyalist: it's just tied to an anniversary, not about preying on FOMO or manufacturing demand.

Speaking of manufacturing demand, trickling Mario All-Star copies, amibos, or classic NES and SNES to retailers to frustrate consumers, encourage scalpers, which in turn, spur even more FOMO sales. Loyalist: it's just marketing, Nintendo isn't abusing its customers (uh huh).

And now this. A nostalgic device that probably costs Nintendo next to nothing to make, sold for just $10 less than the NES classic isn't a money grab preying on nostalgia because it's the Nintendo premium. All's fair here, folks.

Listen, I understand brand loyalty, and sure, Nintendo makes great games. But let's also call a spade a spade when we see it. Nintendo isn't above any other greedy company and this game and watch is way overpriced for what it is. Nintendo could have thrown in Mario 2 and 3, but chose to keep this to the barest minimum and the highest price it could charge for it.

mustve sold out within a few hours. By end of day, they had none left, and are still OOS. More manufactured demand due to purposefully limiting supply
Funny you say that for a product that has no commercials, isn't advertised (other than stores willingly putting it in their ads, something they choose to do) and Nintendo has barely talked about.

Stores also got a good amount of stock for a product that is on the lower end of Nintendo releases.

Let's not confuse Nintendo making sure they have no loss products by offering exactly what they think will sell, for artificial demand.

You know, it always amazes me how so many people come out to defend Nintendo's practices, regardless how anti-consumer they are, or how unreasonably or impractically high the it is charging.

Decade old ports re-released on Switch at full price? Loyalist: it's just a Switch premium, what's the proble.

Limited-time digital availability? Loyalist: it's just tied to an anniversary, not about preying on FOMO or manufacturing demand.

Speaking of manufacturing demand, trickling Mario All-Star copies, amibos, or classic NES and SNES to retailers to frustrate consumers, encourage scalpers, which in turn, spur even more FOMO sales. Loyalist: it's just marketing, Nintendo isn't abusing its customers (uh huh).

And now this. A nostalgic device that probably costs Nintendo next to nothing to make, sold for just $10 less than the NES classic isn't a money grab preying on nostalgia because it's the Nintendo premium. All's fair here, folks.

Listen, I understand brand loyalty, and sure, Nintendo makes great games. But let's also call a spade a spade when we see it. Nintendo isn't above any other greedy company and this game and watch is way overpriced for what it is. Nintendo could have thrown in Mario 2 and 3, but chose to keep this to the barest minimum and the highest price it could charge for it.
Just vote with your wallet and don’t buy Nintendo stuff. Honestly buying things in a closed eco system may not be right for you is all. You know. I think companies have every right to make money anyway they want as long as they aren’t breaking laws.

Obviously if people didn’t buy Nintendo stuff their would be downward pressure on prices.

Walked into a target this evening and there were a bunch on the shelf. Got one for in case they ever hack the thing, though the first guy with a hacking video out says they disconnected the USB C data ports. 

The actual unit itself is pretty nicely built and does exactly what it says. The D-pad is reminiscent of a NES controller, but is actually a bit smaller. The A and B buttons are rubber and not hard plastic

Nintendo underpriced this thing from what I'm seeing they sell for. I imagine they wish they'd just priced it $79.99. Supply and demand not working with these newer systems when they are obviously making a lot of supply but can't even get them to the shelves. Basic economics price this stuff higher, at least starting off and everyone be happier.

Nintendo underpriced this thing from what I'm seeing they sell for. I imagine they wish they'd just priced it $79.99. Supply and demand not working with these newer systems when they are obviously making a lot of supply but can't even get them to the shelves. Basic economics price this stuff higher, at least starting off and everyone be happier.
No way this should have been priced more than the NES Classic or the same price as the SNES Classic especially for what you are getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not underpriced for what it is, just undersupplied at launch because of all the speculative purchasing with easy free return policies. At least until we see the next big shipment and when it will come, can't even say undersupplied yet.

update: just got mine from bestbuy in the mail. Oddly it had torn sticker residue in the lower left.  Looked bad, but luckily it came off easy.  How can that even happen though? Didn't look like a bestbuy pickup sticker, just plain white with a thin black line on one portion.

With the small size and nice plastic sleeve casing, definitely makes it feel more collectible to just keep on a shelf sealed.

Shame it doesn't look like the actual SMB Game and Watch (from 1986), or include that version of the game as a bonus extra. No Vs. version either, which, in my opinion, is the best version of SMB.

Are these actually hard to find? Ugh. Mine showed up today from Amazon, dinged up (no damage to the shipping box, I think this is a factor defect) and I was just hoping to return it and buy it somewhere instead. 

Are these actually hard to find? Ugh. Mine showed up today from Amazon, dinged up (no damage to the shipping box, I think this is a factor defect) and I was just hoping to return it and buy it somewhere instead.
They seem a little hard to find ... haven’t seen any in the wild outside of my order. But supposedly they’ll be regularly stocked through the next few months. I think it’s definitely designed as a nostalgic collectible more so than a must have Christmas gift, but I could see a lot of nostalgic parents picking it up for their kids if they don’t want to drop $300 on a Switch.

Again, bonkers what folks will say about defending a Nintendo practice. So according to this guy, THIS is priced too cheaply? $50 for a 35 year old 8-bit game is underpriced, folks ... you heard it here.

Wow.

Shame it doesn't look like the actual SMB Game and Watch (from 1986), or include that version of the game as a bonus extra. No Vs. version either, which, in my opinion, is the best version of SMB.
Don't worry, Nintendo will sell you ONLY those for the 38th anniversary. Just you wait.

Again, bonkers what folks will say about defending a Nintendo practice. So according to this guy, THIS is priced too cheaply? $50 for a 35 year old 8-bit game is underpriced, folks ... you heard it here.

Wow.
Walking through Target earlier today and they had some knockoff pacman handheld that’s around the same form factor for $39.99, so $50 isn’t crazy if the hardware meets typical Nintendo standards. I’m not crazy about the price, but it seems like small color screens drive the price up compared to what existed in the 80s.

They seem a little hard to find ... haven’t seen any in the wild outside of my order. But supposedly they’ll be regularly stocked through the next few months. I think it’s definitely designed as a nostalgic collectible more so than a must have Christmas gift, but I could see a lot of nostalgic parents picking it up for their kids if they don’t want to drop $300 on a Switch.
I went in to return the demon souls from my ps5 bundle at GameStop Saturday night and they had three sitting behind the counter on the merch display. I was never able to find a nes classic from launch day on until the re-release, so they should be a bit easier to find.

bread's done
Back