Game of Thrones discussion thread - Season 5 debuts April 12th

Technically no, but it does imply without having to say anything else.
As we've seen in this season, just because you've read the books doesn't mean you know what's coming around the bend. For the next episodes coming up, I'm not making any assumptions about anything and will do comparisons after the fact.

Well that turned quickly lol

Even though its been like 8 years or whatever since the book came out - that scene was one of the ones that has stuck with me the most after reading it. Seems the version from the TV show is equally memorable.

can shrike stop spoiling stuff for me

thanks
And what exactly did I spoil?

The look on the hound's face when he realizes he got fucked again. Hahahaha.
He couldn't catch a break if it was dropped on his head in a wrapped package. Interesting how that played out, especially with it being what it is.

That was the most frustrating ending of something I've seen in a long time.
Agreed. More interesting is how they spun the issue with Lysa's death when the person in the books they framed it on wasn't around to be the patsy. How this proceeds will be something to watch, assuming we see anything else about it before the end of the season.

Guess we all know what's coming for Ep 9 from the preview.

That was one helluva explosion!  Just when I think I know where this story is going, shit takes a hard turn.

So did the Mountain die?  He seemed ok when he was using his thumbs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually walked the dog just to get away from the tv right after shit went down. Imagine I'll catch the preview sometime this week.

God damnit.
DVRs fix these little problems. They'll replay it at least a dozen times before next week, plus there's always HBO GO as another option.

That was one helluva explosion! Just when I think I know where this story is going, shit takes a hard turn.

So did the Mountain die? He seemed ok when he was using his thumbs.
:whistle2:$ Have to wait and see.

Goddamn, that was disturbing...
It's pretty much how it goes down in the book,

Shit, Greyworm, I would have been staring too.

Shit, Baelish, I would have made that analogy too.

Shit, Jorah, I would have cried too.

Shit, Ayra, I would have laughed too.

Shit. Oberyn, I would have just finished him.

This whole Bolton and greyjoy side story is fucking boring we get to see some giants next week woot hopefully more slave tits

I don't know, I like Ramsay. He's the kind of evil shit that we need so people can stop saying that the Lannisters are the villains or whatever. I don't care how much you like the Starks, they're people too.

Where's the forums for those who've read the books. I haven't read any of the books. Thus far, has the show stuck to the books, or has the story been altered?
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/260522-george-martins-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-book-discussion-thread-book-5-out-july-12th/

To your question, most of the main plot is very close to the book, but lots of reworkings, additions and omissions of smaller things that happen, characters being dropped or a few combined into one etc.

Watching Tyrion and Jamie during the whole fight was the best part. The smiles, the hope, the joy and then ahh sheeyet.

Tywin also hopping up about 2 seconds after the fight and announcing it was pretty funny too.

Poor Mormont. They really made Danerys look kind of nasty and bitchy. People switch sides all the time in GoT, Mormont just decided to switch to her side really early on.

I don't know, I like Ramsay. He's the kind of evil shit that we need so people can stop saying that the Lannisters are the villains or whatever. I don't care how much you like the Starks, they're people too.
I'm with you. I think Ramsay is actually super interesting, I just can't get myself to give a shit about Reek. Do I call him Reek now?

But I mean, end of the day, dude tore down one of the biggest egos in Westeros and made him into his pet. It's pretty sinister.

It's pretty much how it goes down in the book,
I know. It got spoiled for me a few weeks ago as well as the rest of the season(possibly?).
The sound of the teeth hitting the floor like tiny marbles really did it for me. I used to have nightmares about my teeth falling out and saw one knocked out of a friend as a child in a playground accident. Just one of those things that gives me the creeps I guess...

Brutal? I guess a whole lot of you missed out on ogrish back in the day.
Never my thing.

Shit, Greyworm, I would have been staring too.

Shit, Baelish, I would have made that analogy too.

Shit, Jorah, I would have cried too.

Shit, Ayra, I would have laughed too.

Shit. Oberyn, I would have just finished him.
Well, he did get his confession. And also *spoilers book readers will know*

Reek is the worst character in the book. Reek reek it rhymes with meek. Oh stfu.
Not read book 5 yet? or heard of anything for winds of winter? Reek actually has a purpose eventually.

Really didnt like the changeing of how Baelish and Alayne/Sansa were in the books. Also the bit with moat cailin is from book 5, so that was jumped up quite a bit. Gonna have to do that though so it looks like some book 4 and 5 stuff might make more into the next 4 episodes.

Back to the baelish and alayne bit

None of that happens and what does happen in the books was a lot better. Baelish in the books leaves nothing to chance, basically having him NOT plan for Sansa to get grilled degrades the masterwork plan that he has. Goes from being completely badass to lucky really quick. In the books Sansa is still not revealed to be who she is and baelish plans to marry her to Harry the Heir and obviously plans for Robin to have something happen to him to get her married to the lord of the vale (which is what Harry will be if robin dies with no heir). Might still happen but getting really tired of changes to story that completely change how the characters should be perceived

Overall boring episode minus last 10 mins. Well not sure what was up with Tyrion and Jaime scene, but fight scene was good. Pretty much verbatim from the book and how I pictured it.

I actually like that Baelish got tripped up a little bit. The dude can't possibly plan for everything; it's just too unrealistic at a point.

Well not sure what was up with Tyrion and Jaime scene
Character development. The immediate thing that came to me was that Tyrion was obessed with finding out why his cousin thought the way he did while Jaime was like "idk man, the mad king just did his thing and i was like whatevs until the very end and I was like nope and stopped him but you couldn't even stop your cousin from killing bugs."

There's a bunch of analogies/metaphors you can pull from that scene. It was probably my favorite part of the episode.

I actually like that Baelish got tripped up a little bit. The dude can't possibly plan for everything; it's just too unrealistic at a point.

Character development. The immediate thing that came to me was that Tyrion was obessed with finding out why his cousin thought the way he did while Jaime was like "idk man, the mad king just did his thing and i was like whatevs until the very end and I was like nope and stopped him but you couldn't even stop your cousin from killing bugs."

There's a bunch of analogies/metaphors you can pull from that scene. It was probably my favorite part of the episode.
Might have to rewatch that bit, pretty sure I dozed off during it since it was so boring.

I don't really see where Sansa's story is going TBH, and truth be told I don't really care.  If he killed her off next book not a fuck would be given.

I don't really see where Sansa's story is going TBH, and truth be told I don't really care. If he killed her off next book not a fuck would be given.
Huh? Did you not read my spoiler in post above? Sansa is the key to the north for littlefinger as everyone is unaware that Bran and Rickon are alive, they all think only Sansa and Arya are alive
fake arya anyways who is married off to Ramsay Snow

Sansa has the strongest claim to the north being the eldest sister, based on the info known to the intersested parties, hence why she was married to Tyrion.

Rewatched the episode again, just looking for facial expressions during the Oberyn / Mountain fight and it's good stuff all around, especially Circe at the end.

Huh? Did you not read my spoiler in post above? Sansa is the key to the north for littlefinger as everyone is unaware that Bran and Rickon are alive, they all think only Sansa and Arya are alive

Sansa has the strongest claim to the north being the eldest sister, based on the info known to the interested parties, hence why she was married to Tyrion.
I guess he didn't read the spoiler. Tyrion being married to Sansa was Tywin's plan to secure the North, with Roose Bolton being the Warden of the North being the second part of that plan. Since Ramsay is now a Bolton heir, he would be the next Warden of the North after Roose Bolton.

In the show, there's a lot more people that know Sansa is alive than the books, which include the Lords Of The Vale that were looking to dispose of Littlefinger. In the book, it goes down differently
where Littlefinger talks his way out of the issue by promising to turn the Vale around in a year, otherwise, he'll leave
so the change of Sansa's actions ties into her taking some ownership of her situation.

Also, Roose Bolton sent Locke up to Castle Black to try and get rid of Jon Snow, on the assumption that Bran and Rickon are dead/missing, as he's the last Stark son/daughter still known to be alive.

Not read book 5 yet? or heard of anything for winds of winter? Reek actually has a purpose eventually.
Oh I read book 5. The reek parts were the absolute worst and complete rubbish writing. But hey, he's making millions so I guess he knows what he's doing. Or maybe he's jumped the shark.

Sansa was just a walking ad for Maleficent.

It was subtle but it was there.

And by subtle, I mean she completely changed her wardrobe to match Maleficent cuz "I'm a teenager with angst and these are the people I idolize mom fuck off!"

I would throw my crazy wife through a moon door to fuck sansa. I'm just glad the stark girls all have strong husbands in their lives now.

Sansa has the strongest claim to the north being the eldest sister, based on the info known to the intersested parties, hence why she was married to Tyrion.
Oh I've read all the books, I just don't care about her character, thats just my opinion is not meant as a critique of the storyline especially.

Arya on the other hand is great in the books and show, I think she only has one chapter in A Dance with Dragons and it's one of the best.

bread's done
Back