Game of Thrones discussion thread - Season 5 debuts April 12th

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I think Bronn would have been dead. The series makes Bronn out to be much more than he was in the books. While the series makes The Hound look less. And, is it me, or is The Mountain skinnier now? When him and The Hound fought, Gregor was massive, but when Tywin turned Harrenhall over to Gregor, he was thin as hell. Seriously, he's just "tall" now, while Bronn looked like Tyrion standing in front of Sandor.[/QUOTE]

I didn't notice "The Mountain" was back, so my mind never connected the dots that it was a different actor. When did he come back after the Joust scene?

[quote name='slowdive21']"You love your children. It's your one redeeming quality. That and your cheekbones."

:applause:

Question about Jorah.
The lady asks if he will betray the queen again. I assume Jorah was supposed to kill her and that is why he got the letter about his pardon? Is it safe to assume that the queen doesn't know about it? That could be a problem if she finds out.

I think the assassin should have played gambit in the xmen movies.

[/QUOTE]
In the books Jorah
is informing on Dany to Varys.

[quote name='shrike4242']New actors and actresses for S3 revealed at SDCC 2012:

http://tv.yahoo.com/photos/game-of-...eshow/nathalie-emmanuel-photo-1342221460.html[/QUOTE]

Shrike always on top of things!

I like the actor choices for the characters. Curious how they work in Jojen and Meera with Bran now that he has already left Winterfell. I thought Thoros was supposed to have dark skin, but maybe I am wrong. Also, that actor is way to attractive to be Selyse. Can't wait to see how they work the greyscale on Shireen.

[quote name='Anexanhume']We saw the mountain once Tywin showed up at Harrenhall. There were contractual and schedule complications with retaining the original actor.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Clak']In the books Jorah
is informing on Dany to Varys.
[/QUOTE]

Oh Ok thanks guys. I still am trying to keep all the characters straight.

[quote name='slowdive21']Oh Ok thanks guys. I still am trying to keep all the characters straight.[/QUOTE]
I'll also say, don't get too attached....

She steps into the hot bath water in the first episode. So it might not just be fire as much as it is heat, or maybe the water was only lukewarm.

[quote name='slowdive21']Is khaleesi only immune to fire when the dragons are around?[/QUOTE]

She is the "mother of dragons". While the source of this fire/heat immunity is unknown, the bath water in episode one was inferred to be scalding hot, as the maid told her to wait for it to cool. That was my interpretation at least, however the water was definitely not lukewarm.

Also my opinion, but I presume the dragons are not the source of her 'power', given that she walked into the fire with the unhatched dragon eggs (though I also presume that the intense heat was the catalyst to trigger the dragons hatching).

Eagerly awaiting this since last summer.

Sucks that there are only three shows on HBO worth watching now. There used to be a good show for every season of the year, plus they are going to 10 week seasons instead of 12 weeks leaving large gaps between shows.

Just remember without EUROPEAN actors this show could of never been made as close to the books as possible.

Thank god for liberal open minded actresses from Europe

Ommegang Brewery out of Cooperstown, NY has been tasked with creating brews based on various GoT houses. The first in the series was just released about a week and a half ago. It is a blonde ale based on the House Lannister called "Iron Throne".

33978_531920343497195_1789638214_n.jpg

More information
http://www.latimes.com/features/food/dailydish/la-dd-ommegang-releases-game-of-thrones-beer-20130329,0,1335417.story

http://www.ommegang.com/#!limited_release

I couldn't help but think during this episode "Ya had one job Sam, ya had one job!". :lol:

It didn't actually dawn on me until tonight that, if they had kept the seasons tied to each book,
Selmy should have shown up last season rather than the third.
I'd forgotten which book he first meets up with Dany in.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Ommegang Brewery out of Cooperstown, NY has been tasked with creating brews based on various GoT houses. The first in the series was just released about a week and a half ago. It is a blonde ale based on the House Lannister called "Iron Throne".

33978_531920343497195_1789638214_n.jpg

More information
http://www.latimes.com/features/food/dailydish/la-dd-ommegang-releases-game-of-thrones-beer-20130329,0,1335417.story

http://www.ommegang.com/#!limited_release[/QUOTE]

Just emailed the liquor store in the area that has damn near everything to see if they will be selling this. Where did you get the glasses that you have?

[quote name='slowdive21']Is khaleesi only immune to fire when the dragons are around?[/QUOTE]

First episode, no dragon EGGS even yet, and she gets into a STEAMING, hot bath. Her handmaiden (or w/e you want to call them, female aid) even warned her, No, it's too hot!

They have talked a lot about Aemon (I think) Targaryen being "the last dragon" and that he conquered kings landing with dragons. I assume anyone who attacked with dragons, like the Khaleesi, would be immune to the fire.

[quote name='Yaboy125']First episode, no dragon EGGS even yet, and she gets into a STEAMING, hot bath. Her handmaiden (or w/e you want to call them, female aid) even warned her, No, it's too hot!

They have talked a lot about Aemon (I think) Targaryen being "the last dragon" and that he conquered kings landing with dragons. I assume anyone who attacked with dragons, like the Khaleesi, would be immune to the fire.[/QUOTE]

Targaryens are referred to as having "The blood of old valyria." Valyria was a destroyed land that supposedly had a lot of magic with its people. Presumably there would have been a magic bloodline that had the fire tolerance she displays. It's also the source of Valyrian steel, which is unmatched in quality, strength and cutting ability.

Book 5 spoilers
Euron Greyjoy is supposedly the only person to have visited and left alive, with the dragon horn that can summon dragons and bind them to his will.

I actually hope Martin might do a prequel book series about Old Valyria. So much history is mentioned in the show and books, but that's all we know, the snippets people mention.

Renewed for 4th season!

https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones/status/319136650292760577

#GameofThrones is renewed for a fourth season. RT & share this update with your friends across the realm. http://twitpic.com/cgh7ze

Here's the presser:

LOS ANGELES, April 2, 2013 – HBO has renewed GAME OF THRONES for a fourth season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming.
Based on the bestselling fantasy book series by George R.R. Martin, GAME OF THRONES is an epic story of treachery and nobility set on the continent of Westeros, where summers and winters can last years, and only the lust for power is eternal. The Emmy®- and Golden Globe-winning series launched its ten-episode third season Sunday, March 31 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO, with other episodes debuting subsequent Sundays at the same time.
Among the early critical praise for the third season, the Hollywood Reporter called GAME OF THRONES “addictive and outstanding,” while Newsday termed the series “superb,” awarding the show an A+. The Chicago Tribune hailed the show as “spellbinding” and the Washington Post described it as “masterful.”
According to early data, GAME OF THRONES’ season three premiere March 31 on HBO topped the series’ highs, with record viewership for both the 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT) airing and gross audience across the three plays. At 9:00 p.m., itaveraged 4.4 million viewers, outperforming (+4%) the previous high of 4.2 million viewers from last season’s finale. GAMES OF THRONES improved 13% in comparison to last season’s premiere of 3.9 million viewers. Across the three plays for the night, 6.7 million viewers tuned in, surpassing last season’s debut night of 6.3 million viewers by 7%. Last season, GAME OF THRONES had an average gross audience (HBO linear plays + HBO On Demand/HBO GO + DVR) of 11.6 million viewers.
For more on the series, visit facebook.com/GameOfThrones and twitter.com @GameOfThrones #GameOfThrones.
Season three credits: The executive producers of GAME OF THRONES are David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Carolyn Strauss, Frank Doelger, Bernadette Caulfield; co-executive producers, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, George R.R. Martin, Vanessa Taylor; produced by Chris Newman, Greg Spence.

Does anyone really expect surprise when we find out GoT is renewed for its nth season?

Unless GRRM really decides that he doesn't want to have it done any longer, I would think it's pretty much a lock for at least five more seasons. From what I know, S3 will likely just be the first half of the third book, and two more seasons for books 4 and 5. That would take us into 2018 with S8 being the second half of Book 5, with book 6 hopefully being released in the meantime.

[quote name='shrike4242']Does anyone really expect surprise when we find out GoT is renewed for its nth season?

Unless GRRM really decides that he doesn't want to have it done any longer, I would think it's pretty much a lock for at least five more seasons. From what I know, S3 will likely just be the first half of the third book, and two more seasons for books 4 and 5. That would take us into 2018 with S8 being the second half of Book 5, with book 6 hopefully being released in the meantime.[/QUOTE]

S4 will be book 3 part 2, but it's the general consensus that books 4 and 5 (since they are parallel timelines anyway) can be covered in two seasons. Then you'll have books 6 and 7 to cover. I imagine it will be an 8 or 9 season show if it runs to completion. If it is 8 seasons, I think there's a fair possibility that the last season will be co-wrote with the last book.

HBO has also signed Martin on to develop another show for them, so I'm pretty confident they're happy with that relationship and want him to be happy with how they're handling his baby.

They keep spouting record viewership, yet they're doing free weekends every season. Spin much HBO lol? Still, it's obvious the show has found its core audience and will be sticking around for years.

Didn't think about ti until this episode, but since the kids on the show are a bit older than the kids in the books, that means by the time the series ends, they'll be quite a bit older than they would be at the end of the book series. Even Isaac Wright, who plays Bran, is starting to look older than the Bran described in the book. He's 13 now, by the time the show ends he'll be a grown man. The girl that plays Arya is even older.

Joffery sprang a woodro as soon as Margaery Tyrell started talking about killing stuff.

Also, since Daenerys Targaryen is hellbent on sitting on the iron throne apparently there will be no more nude scenes. That sucks.

So I guess these are the Reeds that were missing from before? I remember people talking about their absence and it seems now was the right time to introduce them. Still feels like we're in a holding pattern until shit hits the fan, but at least there's two promising events for next week.

Was I the only one who didn't think
Thoros
looked quite right? Didn't really match the description from the books I had in my mind.

So the actor who plays Bran is getting hit with puberty. Wonder if they'll try to explain this or end up ignoring it.

They're going to have to do something about it sometime right? Particularly if the series wants to cover the span of the books (9 seasons or so?)

That's what I was saying, the actors are already getting noticeably older. Bran will be grown by the time the series ends, much older than in the books.

[quote name='Invicta 61']Daenerys Targaryen is hellbent on sitting on the iron throne apparently there will be no more nude scenes.[/QUOTE]

I don't really see how this applies, you've got a few more books/seasons coming down the road.

[quote name='Clak']Was I the only one who didn't think
Thoros
looked quite right? Didn't really match the description from the books I had in my mind.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I thought he was an odd choice. I really kind of wish they showed him as a chubby, it would have helped show the side-effects that the war brought to common people.

No Lem or Brave Companions so far, I'm wondering if they were cut in order to streamline the strory.

I was wondering that too. The Brotherhood was shown, but no mention of Lem. If they cut out the Companions, I wonder who will
cut off Jamie's hand
? Or if he'll even lose it.

[quote name='Clak']I was wondering that too. The Brotherhood was shown, but no mention of Lem. If they cut out the Companions, I wonder who will
cut off Jamie's hand
? Or if he'll even lose it.[/QUOTE]

He has to lose the hand. It's so essential to the evolution of his character I would be stunned and mortified if it didn't happen.

[quote name='Clak']Was I the only one who didn't think
Thoros
looked quite right? Didn't really match the description from the books I had in my mind.[/QUOTE]

FLOL, nope not just you. I pictured Thoros as
a fat (or at least pot bellied), perma-drunk Buddhist warrior-monk type:

"At King's Landing, Thoros is a tall, fat, bald man in loose red robes. After some time spent in the Brotherhood, he becomes a loose-skinned, grey-haired man in faded robes and piecemeal armor. He earned his priesthood but was never overly pious due to his tastes for fighting, drinking and women."

The one presented looked more like what I pictured Beric Dondarrion to resemble at this point (though I don't recall what Beric looked like in S1 when Ned sent him out to confront the Mountain IIRC). And show me the GD flaming sword!

I agree on both accounts, but who knows what has been changed. I pictured Thoros as a kind of warrior priest, robed and all, but armored under it with a sword on his hip. After his time with the Brotherhood I figured him looking rather thin. They never did show him at King's Landing in the tourney I believe.

What kingdom does that patrol belong to at the end with Jaime/Brienne? Haven't read the books and was unsure if I was supposed to recognize them or not.

[quote name='panzerfaust']What kingdom does that patrol belong to at the end with Jaime/Brienne? Haven't read the books and was unsure if I was supposed to recognize them or not.[/QUOTE]
The Boltons I think.

[quote name='GUNNM']God damn what an ending scene ruined by some bostonian band[/QUOTE]

Yeah the music at the end was quite disappointing. Terrible.

[quote name='GUNNM']God damn what an ending scene ruined by some bostonian band[/QUOTE]
Yeah, WTF was up with that? Also, so saw that coming. No good deed goes unpunished I suppose.

The Borgias was just as great as well; glad I have two shows to watch again!

bread's done
Back