Game of Thrones discussion thread - Season 5 debuts April 12th

[quote name='bvharris']Agreed. I don't think anyone who hasn't read the books is in a position to be pissed about it. I'm not saying that to sound elitist, after all I'm only now reading them for the first time myself. I do think it's a bit presumptuous for people who are new to the series to be like "durr, they ruined the show!", completely discounting the possibility that things could actually get better from here on out, which:
they do.
[/QUOTE]

I think it comes off much more shocking on the show though. Peoples expectations for the show just got turned right upside down.

Anybody that quits the show will be sorry. And be 10x more pissed in season 3, fans of the book know what I'm talking about. That shit was legendary.

Best part of the episode though was Jorah getting to whoop some ass. That character is so much more awesome on the TV show than he was in the books, mainly due to some great casting.

As for how pissed off some viewers are, I don't understand it all.
Sean Bean is a good actor, but not exactly star power, this show's got great actors across the board. Even Alfie Allen is pretty good despite being slammed that he only got the role because of his sister's star power.

lol im sad about what happened on this past episode ( which goes to show you how great the acting/writing is because you care about the characters) but to stop watching the show over it is stupid. i like that it happened because it leaves you guessing you never know whose time is up too many shows are easily predictable and even if they arent you never care enough about the characters to give a shit what happens.

i loved this episode and i cant wait to see what happens this coming sunday and btw how long will this first season be?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Best part of the episode though was Jorah getting to whoop some ass. That character is so much more awesome on the TV show than he was in the books, mainly due to some great casting.
[/QUOTE]

That's actually one of the things which has struck me most as well. In was alright in the books, but just kind of around.. He's been awesome on the show, he's definitely emerged as one of my favorite characters.

[quote name='lokizz']
i loved this episode and i cant wait to see what happens this coming sunday and btw how long will this first season be?[/QUOTE]

10 episodes. Next is the season (book 1) finale.

I started watching the show because of Bean but there is no way in hell that I'm going to stop. That last episode nearly had me in tears, I haven't read the books but I was still expecting that ending but it still hit me like a truck.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']10 episodes. Next is the season (book 1) finale.[/QUOTE]

damn season is way too short i hope they get cracking on the second season soon.

Last week's episode was so awesome.
It was definitely the first and only time that I can recall a major major character (the lead guy really) getting killed so soon in a series and without getting any kind of revenge or closure on his story.
Pretty much anything is in play now and for a TV show that makes it very exciting to watch because you don't know what is going to happen next.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm sure they'll be watching the ratings for the first couple of episodes of Season 2 (which should be March 2012) to see how well it'll keep doing. I think that since they'll have their first season under their belt and the show coming out on DVD / BD by the end of the year plus watchable on HBOGo immediately, it'll give them enough time to build up for Season 2 and beyond. I think anyone that made it through Season 1 will be hooked in for future seasons, especially with the 5th book on the way out shortly.[/QUOTE]

I think the ratings are climbing steadily and the show has officially reached "buzz-worthy" status. Two people I work with asked if I ever heard of the show and that they started watching it because someone recommended it to them and they both really like it. One of them doesn't own a HDTV yet and the other works so much that he didn't know about the Weiner scandal or who Clarence Clemons was based on our last conversation (everyone in NJ knows Clarence Clemons). If this show is reaching them it must be reaching everyone by now.

[quote name='Capocci 007']unless you like ugly women, poor acting, mediocre cast, and no relevancy to the book, this show ain't for you[/QUOTE]

This is the dumbest thing I've read in a long long time. I can't comment on the relationship the show has to the books but I do know that chick in the tent with the dwarf had PERFECT tits. Stunning.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Anybody that quits the show will be sorry. And be 10x more pissed in season 3, fans of the book know what I'm talking about. That shit was legendary.

Best part of the episode though was Jorah getting to whoop some ass. That character is so much more awesome on the TV show than he was in the books, mainly due to some great casting.

As for how pissed off some viewers are, I don't understand it all.
Sean Bean is a good actor, but not exactly star power, this show's got great actors across the board. Even Alfie Allen is pretty good despite being slammed that he only got the role because of his sister's star power.
[/QUOTE]Yeah seeing Jorah kick that guy's ass was pretty awesome,
especially seeing him in full armor like that. I liked it when the sword of the guy he was fighting somehow got stuck in his armor, basically screwing the guy he was fighting.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']As for how pissed off some viewers are, I don't understand it all.
[/QUOTE]
Well, I don't know about you but
Sean Bean is the only actor I could readily name as soon as the show started. Peter Dinklage is a new face for me, but won't be forgotten now. In fact, I still couldn't name anyone on the show other than Charles Dance. I started watching the show for Sean Bean, but now that it has grown on me it's palatable with him gone.

Yeah Sean Bean was what made me want to watch it originally, but now that I've seen the other actors, especially Dinklage, I wouldn't stop watching. Funny thing is I've seen plenty of them in other things, but never knew it was them until I looked it up.

[quote name='Kylearan']First saw Dinklage in The Station Agent - great movie. Never seen him do bad work, ever.[/QUOTE]

that is an awesome movie if anyone here hasnt seen it they should.

Dinklage was awesome in that Penelope movie.

Can't wait until everybody says last episode was a publicity stunt, then look like fools when they are told it's all based on a book where 95% of the season has been amazingly accurate in every possible way, even small little things just for fans of the book, like Shagga's obsession with cutting off cocks and feeding them to goats.

^ Not as good as Jim Caviezel being hit by lighting while filming Passion Of The Christ.

That article has some awesome comments though. Read those!

bf58cj.gif

[quote name='munch']
bf58cj.gif
[/QUOTE]

You know, if they make a spin-off with the two of them going to some wacky adventure, I would watch it.

On a different note, I picked up book 1 for my Kindle. I think it definitely helps that I watch the show first before reading, since it helps me visualize all the characters and settings.

Bronn and Jorah are the best fucking characters on the show. Naked Hodor was pretty good too. HODOR!

[quote name='Over easy']
I think it definitely helps that I watch the show first before reading, since it helps me visualize all the characters and settings.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but now you'll be picturing the Kingsguard in that goofy samurai armor. I guess maybe the show wanted the armor to look "dragonlike" because of the Targaryen's creating the Kingsguard.

When I read the books I never really gave Bronn a second look. But man, the guy that plays him in the show is really bringing the character to life. I have a newfound respect for him.

[quote name='Invicta 61']BOOBS and DRAGONS!!!! This show is awesome![/QUOTE]

Ditto. Thankfully season 2 isn't too far away.

[quote name='kill3r7']Ditto. Thankfully season 2 isn't too far away.[/QUOTE]

9 months is pretty damn far.

At least the 5th book isn't too far away.

awesome finale, I do agree boobs and dragons is a match I can get behind. Even though 9 months is not a long time considering the scope of this type of show, I am going to pick up the second book and get a head start, cause their aint no way in hell I can wait 9 months.

Well thank god
Drogo dies, because the whole moon and stars routine was getting on my last nerve. Now it all makes sense why he was such a boring character; just another throwaway corpse to drive a greater plot. In fact, maybe there was some deeper meaning in the books, but it seems to me that he served no purpose at all. Maybe I missed something, but is she still commanding the Khal's army or just the slaves she freed? The riders all made a big stink that they'd never follow her, but if they did desert her then what was the point of that whole sub-plot? Was it all just so she'd hatch the eggs? Either way, none of it makes sense.

I really thought a cliffhanger would be unbearable, but I'm satisfied with this one for some reason. Doesn't really leave you hanging, just wanting more. I almost feel guilty that I didn't miss
Sean Bean that much

[quote name='Jodou']Well thank god
Drogo dies, because the whole moon and stars routine was getting on my last nerve. Now it all makes sense why he was such a boring character; just another throwaway corpse to drive a greater plot. In fact, maybe there was some deeper meaning in the books, but it seems to me that he served no purpose at all. Maybe I missed something, but is she still commanding the Khal's army or just the slaves she freed? The riders all made a big stink that they'd never follow her, but if they did desert her then what was the point of that whole sub-plot? Was it all just so she'd hatch the eggs? Either way, none of it makes sense.

I really thought a cliffhanger would be unbearable, but I'm satisfied with this one for some reason. Doesn't really leave you hanging, just wanting more. I almost feel guilty that I didn't miss
Sean Bean that much
.[/QUOTE]

In response to the Spoiler:
Before the Khal, Dany was a frightened little girl being abused by her tyrannical older brother. Now she is a strong leader - with dragons. The Khalasar abandoned her during the night, too afraid to go into the tent where the black magic was being practiced. All that remains are Jorah, a few of the Khal's bloodriders (bodyguards) and the slaves, sick and lame.

I'll have to admit I was kind of worried early on because I had huge expectations, but the episodes just got better and better, being pretty much awesome from episode 8 and on.

Looking forward to next season, casting is happening as we speak and filming will begin the end of July, hopefully for a season 2 debut same time next year. The guy who directed the final two episodes will be directing 4 next season, which I am very happy about because 9 and 10 were probably my favorites.

Biggest news coming our way should be:
1) Number of episodes for next season. Book 2 is longer and we could do with 12 episodes.
2) Casting of Stannis. Stannis is an important character next season and I imagine they'll want a big name like Bean to fill the role.
3) Awards season. The more awards this thing racks up, the more likely HBO will keep it going even if the numbers dwindle.
4) Finale numbers. Let's hope for 3 million. If those are repeat watchers next season, it will help justify the show and its budget.

As for those new to the series with just the show. It gets even better. Book 2 is awesome and book 3 is just a mind fuck, plain and simple. Even if book 2 only gets 10 episodes, book 3 will need at least 12 to cover everything. This show's biggest enemy right now is its scope. Budget will have to be pretty high all the way through.

[quote name='yankeessuck']Season 2 is confirmed for 10 episodes.[/QUOTE]

How many episodes is the second season?
ML: It’s such a challenging show to produce. They don’t have a writing staff — it’s just the two of them [exec producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss]. The idea is to do ten of them again, and that’s what they want to do, to maintain the quality of their work.

I won't take that as 100% confirmation, although it seems likely. I'm just hopeful they'll decide to do more.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I won't take that as 100% confirmation, although it seems likely. I'm just hopeful they'll decide to do more.[/QUOTE]

I think thats a little old. I cant find any real link but I'm fairly certain its been said it will be 10. Plus GRRM is writing episode 9 and based on what hes writing there cant be 3 episodes after that.

Its probably easier to fit book 2 into 10 episodes then book 1.

[quote name='yankeessuck']I think thats a little old. I cant find any real link but I'm fairly certain its been said it will be 10. Plus GRRM is writing episode 9 and based on what hes writing there cant be 3 episodes after that.

Its probably easier to fit book 2 into 10 episodes then book 1.[/QUOTE]

I read it straight from HBO that it would be 10 episodes, though it was a couple of weeks ago and I'd need to track down the article.

My only complaint with season 1: not enough of The Hound. His scenes were pretty awesome though. But him being one of my favorite characters, he's lagging behind on the show after Bronn and Jorah (both of which are so much more badass than than their book counterparts). Even Osha is pretty kickass. That crazy Harry Potter girl that plays her does a great job. Yoren is a lot more interesting on the show too, can't wait for more of him in season 2. Nice surprise seeing Hot Pie and Lommy Greenhands introduced last minute.

Just finished watching. Effing awesome. I feel like this show could have gone on for another 10 episodes because of all the interesting stuff going on.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Yoren is a lot more interesting on the show too, can't wait for more of him in season 2. Nice surprise seeing Hot Pie and Lommy Greenhands introduced last minute.[/QUOTE]

I also like how they kept Jaqen under a hood in the back of the cart so they wouldn't have to cast him yet. :D

I can't wait until Joffrey dies (doesn't he?), that is going to be one sweet episode. Sansa should have pushed his ass off that bridge.

[quote name='bvharris']I also like how they kept Jaqen under a hood in the back of the cart so they wouldn't have to cast him yet. :D[/QUOTE]

Wow, I didn't notice that. I think the others were Rorge and Biter, but I can't remember which is which. Wasn't one supposed to be missing his nose?

Should be cool to see how they visualize Vargo Hoat and the Brave Companions next season. That's going to be a crazier bunch than Tyrion's mountain clan gang.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']
Should be cool to see how they visualize Vargo Hoat and the Brave Companions next season. That's going to be a crazier bunch than Tyrion's mountain clan gang.[/QUOTE]

Casting speculation and scoops are how I plan to weather the long wait between seasons (other than finishing book 4 and reading the new one of course).

Tons of cool characters to cast in Season 2. In fact they didn't introduce Brynden or Edmure Tully, both of whom appeared in the first book. Since both are fairly major characters who don't do anything important until book 2, I'm not surprised they held them back. Same goes for Roose Bolton, who appears only briefly in book 1 but much more later.

I thought that it was a good season and good finale. I was not familiar with the story so it took a few episodes to figure it all out, but overall a solid show.

bread's done
Back