GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
was this in an indie gala? I always have a pretty good laugh when I see the total price of all the DLC for this game, because you just know there is someone out there crazy enough to have bought it all :whee:
That was Trainz '12, this is Railworks '13. They are totally different train sims! Are you drunk?!?

I also just realized that I now own more than one train sim...

medium_1913011.jpg

That was Trainz '12, this is Railworks '13. They are totally different train sims! Are you drunk?!?

I also just realized that I now own more than one train sim...
I wish :beer:

I'm actually bummed I passed on that bundle, all this talk about train(z) simulators is making me want to play one of them :-({|=

EDIT: Big thanks to TheMadGamer for giving me a code! Time to get out my conductor hat and run over some cows drive some trains :bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dishonored Daily Deal. Less of a discount (66% vs. 77%) on the UK site, but a lower base price makes for a nice deal.

For 20%ers, that's about $6.35

I'm vaguely interested in the Magitech games, but not enough to buy something DRM free. Oh well.

And yeah Gamersgate math is like Gamersgate's definition of permanent. Don't think too hard about it, it will just make your head hurt.

Stop trolling.
I'll copypasto my old thoughts about it then.

"3079 is terrible. Extremely pointless, weak gameplay, terrible random level generation. I played it to death back on an old laptop of mine that couldn't play much else. Naturally I look back and say "Why did I put myself through that hell?". It feels like a seriously incomplete game as well.

---

I love sandbox games. They're one of my favorite genres.

3079 (and 3089) is what it is. It's not the worst game in the world, but it doesn't do a great job of everything it tries to achieve. The shooting mechanics are sloppy, the AI is terrible, the weapon variety is extremely limited, uninspired, uninteresting... I could go on. There's really nothing that original about the 30X9 games. They try to be open world sandbox games, don't do that very well on many levels, and in 3079's case they pretty much copy Minecraft's graphics. If that's originality... I don't know what to say to that. Hell, it's advertised as "Minecraft meets Fallout 3"...

If you like it, more power to you, but I could never recommend the games to anyone unless they were free. There are much better sandbox games that can be gotten for cheaply.

---

Finished means that the features that ARE in the game feel complete, functional, fun. Not being able to fly planes in GTA4 doesn't make it an incomplete game. If GTA4's driving physics were terrible, if weaponry was limited and all felt the same, if the combat was unbalanced and melee weapon gameplay didn't work well, etc, you could say the game didn't feel finished.

On the flipside, look at a game like Fallout New Vegas. It tried to introduce a weapon mod system. I don't know the full story of the development on this particular game feature, but while the feature itself is awesome, the implementation is horrendous. A pitiful few weapons in the game are able to be modded, and special weapons (weapons with higher stats, a special name, different skin, etc) are never able to be modded, making some of them far inferior to their basic versions. In light of this "unfinished" modding system, where they clearly did not fully flesh it out, does the game feel unfinished? No, Fallout New Vegas is a massive, well put together open world FPS RPG experience.

Sadly, many of 3079's features feel like this. The world is big, there's tons to do, lots of stuff to collect, etc, and that's great, but many of the features fall flat and feel unfinished. They feel shallow, and the game adopts that feel in the process.

Nathan Grayson summed it up pretty well when he said:

"Problem is, while the components are plucked from admirable inspirations ... they come together in such a way as to actually be less than the sum of their parts. Building, for instance, is generally useless and far too basic to be intrinsically compelling, and loot – while imbued with all the statistical variety random generation allows – lacks tremendously demonstrable differences. Sure, some weapons hit harder or slightly faster than others, but most weapons of one type (snipers, pistols, rifles, etc) feel roughly the same."

But I'm not just trying to bash 3079. It's not the worst game and the world, and it had potential, but it just didn't hit the mark in many areas, and the game as a whole came across as really bland, uncompelling, and stale. Whether it was actually a finished project or not, it did feel very incomplete. I put quite a bit of time into the game (because my laptop at the time couldn't run many games and my options were limited), and the game soon felt like a chore. "

And then there's this review, which I think sums up the game very well: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/25/wot-i-think-3079/

TL;DR - Blah bla bla excuses excuses excuses poor indie developers yadda yadda LOL NU GAMEZ B4 OLZ IS DONZ

He can say what he wants but he's basically pulling a Stardock, serving up the same shit slightly different and charging you money for it while abandoning the last game which still really wasn't quite done.

The fact that he comes here and makes long winded explanations for doing that isn't going to change my mind, sorry.

If people want to feel otherwise you are welcome to your opinions.

Daily Deal:

75% off Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition (Steam) - $4.99
the problem I have with games like this (ie. that go on sale all the time for the same price) is that I never get around to actually picking it up. I get into the "well why bother, it will be on sale again" mentality and before I know it I'm stuck in an endless loop. Not sure what this has to do with anything, I guess I just want a better sale to give me an excuse to buy it :roll:

the problem I have with games like this (ie. that go on sale all the time for the same price) is that I never get around to actually picking it up. I get into the "well why bother, it will be on sale again" mentality and before I know it I'm stuck in an endless loop. Not sure what this has to do with anything, I guess I just want a better sale to give me an excuse to buy it :roll:
I can understand that. Though with this game in particular, I look at the value, not strictly the price. Yes, you could be buying some "indie" bundle for $5 and get 4-7 or more games. But, typically, imo the amount of quality gaming hours out of that bundle would fall far short of something like FO:NV (or 3). We all want better prices and now that we have things like Humble Origin Bundles, it hard to really rationalize anything anymore. Of course, if you have no intent on playing it, it's not like it's going anywhere. (Famous last words.)

I can understand that. Though with this game in particular, I look at the value, not strictly the price. Yes, you could be buying some "indie" bundle for $5 and get 4-7 or more games. But, typically, imo the amount of quality gaming hours out of that bundle would fall far short of something like FO:NV (or 3). We all want better prices and now that we have things like Humble Origin Bundles, it hard to really rationalize anything anymore. Of course, if you have no intent on playing it, it's not like it's going anywhere. (Famous last words.)
yeah that's the problem. I know I want to play it sometime, but with games like it that hit the same sale price extremely often, I don't feel the need to jump on it. I tell myself something like "I'll pick that up when I'm done with my backlog" (which also includes Fallout 3), but of course that is a pipe dream if ever there was one. One day I'll just have to A) buy it just to own it and be done with it, or B) have the voice of reason remind me I will never get even half way through it :oldman:

Uh there was one point during one of the big sales, I think Winter of last year on Steam, where people were waiting for New Vegas Ultimate Edition to go on sale, expecting it to...and then it didn't. And people were mad.

And really if you're going to call a game out for being on sale all the time this is hardly the worse offender (and I think we all know which one is).

As for the backlog. 90%+ of what most of the regulars here buying Steam games and indie bundles goes into the backlog. It has to nobody has that much time. The thing is if it's at or near the lowest price that game is realistically probably ever going to be then it's not a huge deal. It's only really a problem if you start buying games at $20 or $30, backlog them, and then they end up going $5 before you ever play them.

Just my $.02.

$4 with Comp discount is the lowest it'll realistically be. They still charge $5 when Morrowwind goes on the deep sales.

Uh there was one point during one of the big sales, I think Winter of last year on Steam, where people were waiting for New Vegas Ultimate Edition to go on sale, expecting it to...and then it didn't. And people were mad.

And really if you're going to call a game out for being on sale all the time this is hardly the worse offender (and I think we all know which one is).

As for the backlog. 90%+ of what most of the regulars here buying Steam games and indie bundles goes into the backlog. It has to nobody has that much time. The thing is if it's at or near the lowest price that game is realistically probably ever going to be then it's not a huge deal. It's only really a problem if you start buying games at $20 or $30, backlog them, and then they end up going $5 before you ever play them.

Just my $.02.
Well yeah that's what I mean. When game X is on sale for $X on what feels like a weekly basis, then I don't feel like I need to jump on it like I would other games. This isn't really directed at Fallout but just repeat sale offenders in general, and I was just sorta saying the backwards mindset I have fallen into of "I'll get it next sale".

You're trying to reason with a crazy man. He's stating he'll do something when he's "done with [his] backlog" in a non-ironic way.
[customspoiler='Who you calling crazy?']https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiY4LyDS4N0&feature=player_detailpage[/customspoiler]

He's young in the ways of PC Digital Downloads. He just came over from the Console Side a little bit ago. He'll learn.
Well to be fair my console backlog is pretty bad too *hangs head*

New Vegas is worth buying right now and playing right now. Arguably the best sandbox+story game I've ever played, ever. And you will never, ever, ever run out of content. Those mods...

The DLC is also supremely worth it. $5 is robbery.

$5 is robbery.

Well they don't call me a Ninja for nothing ;)

Well now I'm supremely tempted. One thing I'm worried about though is how it will work on Windows 8. I know 3 has some weird compatibility issues with win7 (which would only be worse in 8), so I don't suppose anyone here has actually ran it on 8 and can confirm it works right have they? Id rather not have to bother with downloading .dll files and messing with a bunch of settings to play it (source: steam guide) :oldman:

Well they don't call me a Ninja for nothing ;)

Well now I'm supremely tempted. One thing I'm worried about though is how it will work on Windows 8. I know 3 has some weird compatibility issues with win7 (which would only be worse in 8), so I don't suppose anyone here has actually ran it on 8 and can confirm it works right have they? Id rather not have to bother with downloading .dll files and messing with a bunch of settings to play it (source: steam guide) :oldman:
I seem to recall it working fine on Windows 8 but just to be sure give me a couple of hours and I will run it again when I get home. *Edit: if nobody else jumps in first.

It's the same engine as most of those Bethesda games though, with maybe some minor differences here and there. At most it should take a little hoop jumping like running in compatibility mode or admin or whatever but it should work.

Really if it wasn't working for Win 8 at all you'd see tons of threads bitching about it on the Steam community forums. Actually that's a good place to go look.

I seem to recall it working fine on Windows 8 but just to be sure give me a couple of hours and I will run it again when I get home. *Edit: if nobody else jumps in first.

It's the same engine as most of those Bethesda games though, with maybe some minor differences here and there. At most it should take a little hoop jumping like running in compatibility mode or admin or whatever but it should work.

Really if it wasn't working for Win 8 at all you'd see tons of threads bitching about it on the Steam community forums. Actually that's a good place to go look.

Yeah I usually do check there, but there were a lot of people going both ways so I figured I'd ask in case anyone knew. Thanks for checking for me :)

Okay just loaded up New Vegas (had to reinstall) started a new game and ran around a bit. I had no issues at all in Windows 8. I didn't even do anything to it at all, just downloaded and installed and ran the game (there are some good mods out there for it but I didn't load any just for testing purposes).

If people are having issues with this game and claiming it's due to Windows 8, well it's not. I can only assume it's user error and/or some other issue particular to their specific configuration. It's definitely not the OS itself.

Okay just loaded up New Vegas (had to reinstall) started a new game and ran around a bit. I had no issues at all in Windows 8. I didn't even do anything to it at all, just downloaded and installed and ran the game (there are some good mods out there for it but I didn't load any just for testing purposes).

If people are having issues with this game and claiming it's due to Windows 8, well it's not. I can only assume it's user error and/or some other issue particular to their specific configuration. It's definitely not the OS itself.
ok thanks alot for that. I've found MOST stuff works fine in Windows 8, but every once in awhile there are games/programs that are completely borked for whatever reason and nothing I do will fix it, so I've been trying to find out beforehand if others are having trouble. A lot of people on the steam forums are rather uh, "technically challenged", so I don't like to take only their advice.

Now to decide: do I want to play NV now, or can I wait till the next steam sale and use my funbux to buy it :whistle2:k I have Fallout 3 still to play, but it's on 360 and after experiencing the load times in Skyrm, I'm not sure I can put myself through that again. Is there any reason I should play 3 before NV, or are they similar enough that going backwards I won't be missing whatever NV added to the series?

ok thanks alot for that. I've found MOST stuff works fine in Windows 8, but every once in awhile there are games/programs that are completely borked for whatever reason and nothing I do will fix it, so I've been trying to find out beforehand if others are having trouble. A lot of people on the steam forums are rather uh, "technically challenged", so I don't like to take only their advice.

Now to decide: do I want to play NV now, or can I wait till the next steam sale and use my funbux to buy it :whistle2:k I have Fallout 3 still to play, but it's on 360 and after experiencing the load times in Skyrm, I'm not sure I can put myself through that again. Is there any reason I should play 3 before NV, or are they similar enough that going backwards I won't be missing whatever NV added to the series?
Doesn't matter which one you play first. One isn't going to feel "newer" than the other if you use mods, also. You can mod FO3 later on to feel just as updated as NV. The stories don't really connect anyways.

Daily Deal is 70% off Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter Nights Complete (Other DRM) - $8.99

Also...

66% off Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (Steam) - $8.50
66% off Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - Four Pack Bundle (Steam) - $25.50
50% off Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Soundtrack (DRM Free) - $2.50
50% off Eador: Genesis (DRM Free) - $3.00
50% off Eador: Masters of the Broken World (Steam) - $10.00

75% off Omerta City of Gangsters (Steam) - $9.99
66% off Omerta City of Gangsters Complete Pack Bundle (Steam) - $18.67
75% off Omerta City of Gangsters 2-Pack Bundle (Steam) - $15.00
50% off Omerta City of Gangsters: The Arms Industry (Steam) - $2.50
50% off Omerta City of Gangsters: Damsel in Distress DLC (Steam) - $2.50
50% off Omerta City of Gangsters: The Con Artist (Steam) - $2.50

Omerta's MSRP is still very high everywhere...
With the two pack and the Oops Discount it comes down to $6 which is probably as low as it's going to get for a $30 game, at least until the retail drops.

I'm kind of tempted at $6 but then I'd still be on the hook for the DLC. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back