GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha, beaten to the punch. I was busy checking out. That was a no brainer. Totally stomped that recent Steam Daily. Something about 95% off said, grab it now.

[quote name='seamoss']Ha! I guess I'm not the only one that hangs around Gamersgate at 1AM when the offers flip!

We really are a bunch of cheap ass gamers...[/QUOTE]

Midnight PDT. And after scoring the COH Complete at $2.60 (w/IGN) I've got a bit of a Pavlovian response.

[quote name='Umair56']Very tempted at the Guild collection. Whats the Starfrorce DRM like?[/QUOTE]

Imo, grab it now in case it goes up (likely). For $1.50, as long as it doesn't root my machine, I'll deal with the DRM, if I like it enough I could buy it elsewhere having played it.

[quote name='mewantgames']Didn't even bother to see what the guild is, just put it in my cart and paid with blue coins:)[/QUOTE]

#-o Forgot the blue coins (no biggie, I got the deal :bouncy:

[quote name='Umair56']
Very tempted at the Guild collection. Whats the Starfrorce DRM like?[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen it used on anything in a long time, but I remember it being hard to get rid of and there even being a lawsuit because it was harmful to PC's. It used to be one of the worst forms of DRM.

[quote name='Jon7']I haven't seen it used on anything in a long time, but I remember it being hard to get rid of and there even being a lawsuit because it was harmful to PC's. It used to be one of the worst forms of DRM.[/QUOTE]

Your information is really outdated. I'm not defending Starforce by any means, just saying that was the earliest version of it and it has changed a lot since. Now I would just consider it another form of DRM.

Missed out on the Guild, but I don't really play many strategy games so I haven't been watching the price flips like I did last week for the action games :)

I'm wondering if these aren't really price mistakes, but they want to just sell a certain number of units for certain and once they do, raise it afterwards. For it to keep happening seems planned.

Like if a game goes 75% - 80% now, it's just a yawn for a lot of folks since it's been at that price point before. Stick a 95% discount on it and people will just buy it for no reason at all. I saw The Guild at 1.49 and passed since I don't think I'll ever play it.

That said, I hope I actually find something I want at that price point during their sale! :)

I feel a bit of Dejavu on these sales. Supreme Commander Gold was already $4 on THQ's site and you got two full keys for that price (doubt that will happen here but who knows).

The Guild was DotD on Steam the other day. Didn't pay attention to the price because I already own it on GOG and have barely touched it but still it's been on sale recently.

Stronghold 3 is a terrible, terrible game. Of all the hundreds of games I own in digital format this is one of the top ones I regret purchasing. If you really want it you'd be better off just getting the old ones.At least they have an excuse for looking like they were made 10 years ago, they were!

[quote name='yangwenli']I'm wondering if these aren't really price mistakes, but they want to just sell a certain number of units for certain and once they do, raise it afterwards. For it to keep happening seems planned.

Like if a game goes 75% - 80% now, it's just a yawn for a lot of folks since it's been at that price point before. Stick a 95% discount on it and people will just buy it for no reason at all. I saw The Guild at 1.49 and passed since I don't think I'll ever play it.

That said, I hope I actually find something I want at that price point during their sale! :)[/QUOTE]

They're not pricing mistakes - I'm certain it's done on purpose. I've been buying from GG for two to three years, and at the beginning of every sale period they seem to have a game or two that start off at a really low price and then go to regular price after a while (presumably after a certain number of units have sold). They're like "digital doorbusters".

Hope you find something from this sale - personally, I'm a bit disappointed this year, only got this Guild collection and the Gothic II collection so far. A few games that I wanted came up for sale but the price points were just too high. I wish they'd put some of their adventure games on sale.

[quote name='seamoss']They're not pricing mistakes - I'm certain it's done on purpose. I've been buying from GG for two to three years, and at the beginning of every sale period they seem to have a game or two that start off at a really low price and then go to regular price after a while (presumably after a certain number of units have sold). They're like "digital doorbusters".

Hope you find something from this sale - personally, I'm a bit disappointed this year, only got this Guild collection and the Gothic II collection so far. A few games that I wanted came up for sale but the price points were just too high. I wish they'd put some of their adventure games on sale.[/QUOTE]

I think they might still have a week left in their sale so maybe it is casual/adventure. They already did a sims week before the sale started I think.

I can see owning StrongHold 3 if you got it in a pack with 1&2, as Amazon ran for $10 a couple months back. The Guild Steam DotD was $5.

That makes sense, digital doorbusters. Seeing this twice in a few days seemed peculiar, especially since prices flip at 8AM in the UK (business hours). And they don't seem to be corrected that quickly despite being over 90% off and running up the top-sellers chart.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I think they might still have a week left in their sale so maybe it is casual/adventure. They already did a sims week before the sale started I think.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I'm assuming casual, adventure, or indie; or a combination thereof. Those are the remaining genres. My gut tells me adventure/indie.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I've had my eye on Drakensang lately, but how's the DRM? I'm seeing SecuROM on GG... Is it really as bad as people say?[/QUOTE]

GG mentioned that no matter what the DRM is, you'll always have access to your games, as in they'll give you another key if necessary to work around the DRM. ;)

To me though, I install and play on one computer, so DRM is not an issue for me. Unless it's something like "download only available for ", I don't pay attention to it. =]

[quote name='Idiotekque']I've had my eye on Drakensang lately, but how's the DRM? I'm seeing SecuROM on GG... Is it really as bad as people say?[/QUOTE]

Without my IGN discount working, I passed on it (due to marginal price/DRM). Dead Dino edition is $14 on Amazon and reportedly DRM free.

[quote name='asheskitty']Without my IGN discount working, I passed on it (due to marginal price/DRM). Dead Dino edition is $14 on Amazon and reportedly DRM free.[/QUOTE]

Lol wtf is dead dino edition?

I have Drakensang Complete from GG that I got about a year ago. As far as I can tell, the Securom doesn't have any activation limits, or at least I didn't get any messages about having x # of activations left.

Having said that, I'm told the disc version of the complete Drakensang is DRM free and you can get it pretty cheap these days on Amazon or eBay.

[quote name='atreyuevr']Lol wtf is dead dino edition?[/QUOTE]
Physical Media = Plastic = Petroleum = Dean Dino (simply being a nice riff on Dead Tree)

[quote name='Motoki']I have Drakensang Complete from GG that I got about a year ago. As far as I can tell, the Securom doesn't have any activation limits, or at least I didn't get any messages about having x # of activations left.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Thanks for that. It was $10.81 (or thereabout) on week 1.

Weird. The Guild showed up glitched at $1.50 for a moment. On reload it went up to $30.

Looks like it's Ho-Hum Friday. I own Civ 5 base, most DLC is 75% off /yawn (Gods and Kings is only 10%). Patrician IV Gold at $6 doesn't grab me (and might be in a future 1C pack). Theatre of War is in the upcoming $15 1C pack on Amazon. Honestly I've never heard anything good about Cities XL, and at $12 it's a firm pass.

wth? A steamable RUSE finally goes on sale @ 75% off, but they do nothing for the dlc? I already have the base game. The reason I don't have the DLC is because I'm waiting for it to go on sale. This whole "sell them the base game for cheap, and charge retail for the DLC" thing isn't working.

Hmmm...Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is on sale, I don't need the game right now and can easily wait a year, but most importantly I can't find if it works on Windows 7 like its GOG counterpart. I would like the game to work long into the future if I can.

Does anybody here have any experience with this game - or from GamersGate in particular? I'm sure I will like even though I'm a Master of Magic guy myself.

A lot of the older titles from Gamersgate are simply the GOG versions, as publishers tend to obtain the rights to sell the modern updates (for instance, the DUngeons and Dragons Anthology GG and Impulse sell are all the updated GOG versions). Gamersgate only got the Heroes games a few months ago so I'd wager they're probably the GOG versions.

Though, to be wary, the GOG HOMM 3 is not their most stable work, and a lot of people on multicores tend to have to use an unofficial fix.

[quote name='Corpekata']A lot of the older titles from Gamersgate are simply the GOG versions, as publishers tend to obtain the rights to sell the modern updates (for instance, the DUngeons and Dragons Anthology GG and Impulse sell are all the updated GOG versions). Gamersgate only got the Heroes games a few months ago so I'd wager they're probably the GOG versions.

Though, to be wary, the GOG HOMM 3 is not their most stable work, and a lot of people on multicores tend to have to use an unofficial fix.[/QUOTE]

Thank you kindly! :D

In this case then, there is practically no reason to get the GOG version and there isn't too much reason to wait for a better sale either - it's not like it's the difference between $60 and $48 or something.

I also have quad cores so if I have a problem I will look for that fix or try it on my Windows XP partition (which would really suck but oh well). My list is now bigger!

[quote name='Corpekata']A lot of the older titles from Gamersgate are simply the GOG versions, as publishers tend to obtain the rights to sell the modern updates (for instance, the DUngeons and Dragons Anthology GG and Impulse sell are all the updated GOG versions). Gamersgate only got the Heroes games a few months ago so I'd wager they're probably the GOG versions.

Though, to be wary, the GOG HOMM 3 is not their most stable work, and a lot of people on multicores tend to have to use an unofficial fix.[/QUOTE]

Oh cool. Thanks for that info.

[quote name='Corpekata']Alice Madness Returns is 4 bucks, doesn't seem to be part of the dailies.[/QUOTE]

I can't find Alice through GG's search. I think it has to be with me being in Brazil. Strange, a few days ago when Syndicate was 6 bucks I was able to purchase it, but now even that game won't show up on my search.

[quote name='facls']I can't find Alice through GG's search. I think it has to be with me being in Brazil. Strange, a few days ago when Syndicate was 6 bucks I was able to purchase it, but now even that game won't show up on my search.[/QUOTE]

Alice: Madness Returns
I'm honestly a little tempted at $3.39 (w/IGN)

Thanks for the tip on Alice: Madness Returns. Kind of funny how I've seen it a million times for $4.99 and passed but for three ninety-nine... Yoink! :lol:

Okay, that's a great price for Alice! Got it though I think its US only because I had to add my City/Zip Code during checkout which I never had to do at GG

That is a great price on Alice (unless you want it on Steam, where it was $5 during the Summer Sale). I snagged it for $7.49 bundled with Mirror's Edge on Amazon already though; haven't found a better deal thus far.

I was snooping around for other sort of off the radar sales and saw King Arthur: Fallen Champions for $1.78 or $1.51 with the IGN discount.

It has been as low as $1.24 on Steam, but the GG version page says it's DRM free and can be activated on Steam and I know some people prefer that sort of thing.

It also might be a good candidate to use some blue coins on since it's just over 1500 blue coins with the IGN discount and you could probably earn that much just from doing reviews if you've got a fair bit of games on Gamersgate already.

[quote name='facls']Thanks, but when I click there it redirects to the GG UK site, where Alice is 14.99 Euros.[/QUOTE]
Aww, sorry.

[quote name='ochentay4']Thanks for the link! I had to use a US VPN again. Sigh. Really good price![/QUOTE]
^_^ Glad it helped someone.

[quote name='Idiotekque']That is a great price on Alice (unless you want it on Steam, where it was $5 during the Summer Sale). I snagged it for $7.49 bundled with Mirror's Edge on Amazon already though; haven't found a better deal thus far.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Mirrors Edge has been a good component in a few packs that I ruled out since I have Mirrors Edge from D2D ($5 years back).

[quote name='Motoki']I was snooping around for other sort of off the radar sales and saw King Arthur: Fallen Champions for $1.78 or $1.51 with the IGN discount.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the blue coins reminder on that. I wonder if it has the same performance issues I've heard about KA2 (& I think KA1).

[quote name='pottering']From sunday to monday, I think.[/QUOTE]
The first week ended on a Sunday. Week 2, I'm not so sure. On the last day of week 1 the weeklies got a countdown timer.

Edit: Based on the timers on some weeklies I think week 3 starts tomorrow but some weeklies run until around 7PM (PDT) Sunday. Some counters vary by an hour, weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of separate note, GamersGate is the only non-Steamworks source for Crusader Kings II (not steam registrable either) $14.38 this week. The cheapest it has been is $10 a few times (and included in a couple packs with DLC and other paradox games for a bit more). I found steam autopatching a little annoying when trying to use the Game of Thrones mod.

[quote name='asheskitty']Alice: Madness Returns
I'm honestly a little tempted at $3.39 (w/IGN)[/QUOTE]

It's a pretty awesome game, and I'm not even that much in platformers. But the atomsphere is spot on, and pretty fantastic at times. It's a downright beautiful game.

I'm wondering if we'll see The Precursors or Xenus 2: While Gold (AKA Boiling Point 2) get on sale during this Summer Sale...

I'm a huge Song of Ice and Fire fan but at $12 ($10 after IGN and $8 after my blue coins) its still too much to spend on a guilty pleasure like that, especially after what I've heard about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back