GameRush Thread 12 ($5 bonus on trades? - details soon) (All used PS1 games - $2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
Sales Rumors/Upcoming Deals

There will soon be an additional 300+ items added to the 50% off sale that is currently going on. A list will be made available on here when GR's finally get the email (current expected date 4/20).

Okay, I think I saw the list of new titles that are going to be added to the 50% off clearance, but I'm not 100% certain that's what the list was. Call me 95% sure at this point. The prices for these games will be active tomorrow if they are indeed 50% off.

[quote name='io']So, has anyone seen Brain Age for the DS at their GR? Wondering if I need to pick this up at EB or GC.[/quote]

Pick it up for $15 at Best Buy with the GGC.

Does anyone know any other games that are part of the new batch of 50% off? I tried asking to see the new list, but it seems the employees have no idea that there's even a new sale.

I went in yesterday and got a used xbox wireless logitech controller for $8.50 and Fable for $10.

Traded in these:

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) - $5
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (PSP) - $24
Darkstalkers Chronicles (PSP) - $7
SOCOM (PSP) - $18

[quote name='Rictor']Pick it up for $15 at Best Buy with the GGC.[/QUOTE]

But that's almost full price - too much :D. My GR/EB/GC credit is better. Plus I have never seen one of these mythical GGCs before, and they sound like a hassle (have to go all the way to Best Buy to buy one, and they are hard to find, then return again to buy game?? too much trouble).

I just want to know if ANYONE's GR has had the game, then there's at least a slight chance it will come in at mine. I'm in no hurry on that game...

Dropped by GR today and found an Y's: Ark Of Napishtim (19.99) . Kind of debating whether to buy it nor or wait till Memorial Day weekend.

[quote name='io']But that's almost full price - too much :D. My GR/EB/GC credit is better. Plus I have never seen one of these mythical GGCs before, and they sound like a hassle (have to go all the way to Best Buy to buy one, and they are hard to find, then return again to buy game?? too much trouble).

I just want to know if ANYONE's GR has had the game, then there's at least a slight chance it will come in at mine. I'm in no hurry on that game...[/quote]

Say what? How is it a hassle to buy a gift card and why would it require 2 trips? I get them all the time. It's never hard to find them...if you don't know where they are, talk to a manager. You slap $20 on the gift card when you come in the store, then use it to pay when you leave the store. Or, if you don't want to stand in line twice, pay for the gift card when you pay for your game and do a second transaction to buy the game.

And for people that always swear up and down that your BB doesn't carry this gift card (doubtful), shoot an e-mail to Best Buy corporate or call customer service and tell them they're losing your business because of this. I'm sure they'll show up in a few days after that. Best Buy and all other stores love selling gift cards.

[quote name='Rictor']Say what? How is it a hassle to buy a gift card and why would it require 2 trips? I get them all the time. It's never hard to find them...if you don't know where they are, talk to a manager. You slap $20 on the gift card when you come in the store, then use it to pay when you leave the store. Or, if you don't want to stand in line twice, pay for the gift card when you pay for your game and do a second transaction to buy the game.

And for people that always swear up and down that your BB doesn't carry this gift card (doubtful), shoot an e-mail to Best Buy corporate or call customer service and tell them they're losing your business because of this. I'm sure they'll show up in a few days after that. Best Buy and all other stores love selling gift cards.[/QUOTE]

They may have them now, but about a year ago I kept looking for them and never saw them (and I found many other types of gift cards they had - I remember seeing EA sports ones and Xbox only ones). Haven't looked in almost a year. I mean, for most of last year the wonderous $5 off ANY game (no $19.99 limit) coupon was active, so there was no need to get into the GGC thing anyway. I used that coupon to the fullest - both to get games I wanted and to get GR/EB trade fodder.

However, I still don't want to pay $15 for Brain Age, so it's a moot point :D.

Back on topic, the bad news at GR keeps piling up:

- No Metroid Prime Hunters (but still on order)
- No Brain Age (but still on order)
- No Odama (and NONE on order, even though I have a preorder)
- Lost Magic, which comes out next week has NONE on order, even though I have a preorder.

Dammit... I was at a GC and I thought of doing the buy 2 over $24.99 and get 2 under $18.99 for free but the only $18.99 and under I could come up with were Ghost in the Shell and Nightmare of Druaga - so obviously they would be for GR trade-in. But then I figured what's the point of that...

To top it all off, I saw that my GR does have 2 copies of SSX on Tour for the GC on clearance (which I bought from them using the preorder deal). That and the Metroid Prime 2 and Baten Kaitos on clearance were clearly mocking me (I have yet to play much of any of those games and paid $30 or more for each).

OK, rant over.

They did an interesting thing at my GR - they reorganized the clearance games so they are on the same racks as the non-sale games. This makes it very easy to tell what percentage of games are on sale vs their entire stock. It is very obviously 25% of their PS2 games (1 of 4 rack sections, nearly all games are 2-3 deep in all 4 sections), 25% of their Xbox games (ditto), and about 30-50% of their Gamecube games (harder to tell there because they are crammed in with the GBA and DS ones). So there's still much more they could clear out if they want to make space. And these are just the floor stock - the newest games are locked in a glass case. So, if they *really* wanted to get rid of most new games they still have 75% of their older stock to clear out and then they'd be left with the 100 or so newest games (across all systems) that are locked up.

[quote name='Rictor']Say what? How is it a hassle to buy a gift card and why would it require 2 trips? I get them all the time. It's never hard to find them...if you don't know where they are, talk to a manager. You slap $20 on the gift card when you come in the store, then use it to pay when you leave the store. Or, if you don't want to stand in line twice, pay for the gift card when you pay for your game and do a second transaction to buy the game.

And for people that always swear up and down that your BB doesn't carry this gift card (doubtful), shoot an e-mail to Best Buy corporate or call customer service and tell them they're losing your business because of this. I'm sure they'll show up in a few days after that. Best Buy and all other stores love selling gift cards.[/QUOTE]

Most of the time I don't even pay for the cards anymore. I just grab a GGC when I am getting the game and I have them scan the coupon. They ask if there is any $$ on the card, I say no, and they move on. I have done this on more than 1 occasion and I have even had them do multiple transactions for multiple games. I really don't see the point of putting money on a card just to take it off again a minute later. Of coarse if you are having a hard time locating the GGCs (like I was about a month ago) then you should stock up by buying 5-10 of them with like $1 on each. I have 3-4 left that I keep in my truck. If they give you that weird look when buying the cards with $1 on them, just tell them they are gag gifts. Or even tell them the truth, you buy a bunch of games here and you buy these for the coupon! The cool thing about having the cards with $1 on them is it feels like you are getting $6 off. :)

Picked up a used logitech wireless ps2 controller (new version)for 4.99(after 50% off). Cannot beleive it. Great deal!!!. Last time picked up a used logitech xbox wireless one for $8.99. GR rocks!!! Also picked up a used original psp earplug w/the remote for $2.50.!!! what a day.

[quote name='neocisco']Does GR price match themselves w/in 30 days?[/QUOTE]

They don't seem to have any coherent return/price match policy. However, they can simply return something and resell it (if you were looking to get a further discount on Memorial day).

For example, I bought a Gameboy Player in late January. When it went 50% off in March I brought it back in and they just scanned it, credited the $44.99 to my account, and then sold it back to me for $22.49. I had the receipt with me just in case, but they didn't ask to see it. It is possible that they pulled up my account and returned it at the full price because they saw I paid for it at full price - though the guy who did it doesn't know how to work their computer system very well and did it very quickly. So I think it credited the $44.99 automatically. The interesting thing is, did the computer do this automatically because I had bought it there before, or did it just return at the full price because that is what it rings up at before "coupon"? If the latter, that could be exploited - not that I would do such a thing or encourage it. But it does make for virtual price matching - and it should make it very easy to do the "price match" without the clerk needing a manager or other help.

Does anyone have recommendations on some of these controllers? I saw the Star Wars controller 2 pack for Xbox for $10 but if they suck I would rather not get them.

[quote name='neocisco']Does GR price match themselves w/in 30 days?[/QUOTE]
From what I know, they do not have any policy for pricematching. You might get lucky like io, or you might get shit upon like me, where they sold me a $30 game for $40 because they dropped the price at release (while I preordered it).

[quote name='botticus']From what I know, they do not have any policy for pricematching. You might get lucky like io, or you might get shit upon like me, where they sold me a $30 game for $40 because they dropped the price at release (while I preordered it).[/quote]

You know, I think they do have an official policy. I was in just a few days ago and I noticed a two sided flyer on the counter which had a full explanation of trading and price matching policies. I think it was actually match + 10%, but required proof of the matching price. I will stop by and reread it tonight.

[quote name='stoned99']You know, I think they do have an official policy. I was in just a few days ago and I noticed a two sided flyer on the counter which had a full explanation of trading and price matching policies. I think it was actually match + 10%, but required proof of the matching price. I will stop by and reread it tonight.[/QUOTE]
Haha, that would fly in the face of the response: "We don't do anything like that." But this was a month after I got it, and two months after preordering. They said the only way they could have given me money back is if I had not opened the game yet and returned it and rebought it, or if the price had changed the day I preordered it.

And yes, the fact that I bitched about this is noted on my account so it can be brought up along with any other customer service-related thing I've requested for them to throw in my face if I want something.

The pricematching you are talking about is their "trade-in price guarantee". They'll beat any competitor's trade-in price by 10% as long as the game doesn't trade in for more than GR sells it for. You've got to have proof that the game trades for more at the other store though.

That's their policy on that, but honestly I'd be surprised if 90% of the BB workers would have any idea that such a policy exists or how to execute it. I've used the policy a couple of times in the past though.

BB/GR does not pricematch on new items. Otherwise they would get raped by people bringing in Circuit City and Best Buy ads to pricematch DVDs that those stores would sell for $13.99 while BB/GR sells them at $22.99.

[quote name='botticus']Haha, that would fly in the face of the response: "We don't do anything like that." But this was a month after I got it, and two months after preordering. They said the only way they could have given me money back is if I had not opened the game yet and returned it and rebought it, or if the price had changed the day I preordered it.

And yes, the fact that I bitched about this is noted on my account so it can be brought up along with any other customer service-related thing I've requested for them to throw in my face if I want something.[/QUOTE]

The only reason the return sealed/buy again thing works is that it is easy - they scan the barcode for the return, and then scan it again to sell it to you. It doesn't require manager approval or overriding anything or granting credit to make up the difference. Of course, a half decent manager would have just given you a $10 credit without any hassle, but you were unlucky there.

Funny that you mention the account notes - when they sold my Mario Kart to someone else the guy gave me a $10 credit (!) and I thought that was it. Later they printed out my account history so I could see if all my preorders were OK. I saw that he had put in a note "customer very upset about not getting game, but it was our fault". Now, I'm a pretty mellow guy and I would hardly say I was "very upset" - more like "mildy disappointed". But I suppose he put that in there to cover for the $10 credit he gave me, so that's OK. But those things clear off after 90 days anyway, so it's ancient history now :D.

Anyone see Brain Age or Lost Magic for DS at their GR today? Also, like Botticus, I might have to push them to do something about my Metroid preorder. If someone in CA can give me a store number that has multiple Metroid Prime Hunters in stock I can harass them about having one sent up maybe. I think they've had my money long enough :)

[quote name='io']Brain Age or Lost Magic for DS at their GR today? Also, like Botticus, I might have to push them to do something about my Metroid preorder. If someone in CA can give me a store number that has multiple Metroid Prime Hunters in stock I can harass them about having one sent up maybe. I think they've had my money long enough :)[/QUOTE]
No Lost Magic. As far as Metroid, just call up the regional office (number on your receipt) and have a DM call you. No point in you doing the work they should have done. Took maybe two days for the new and used copy to show up at my store.

I have a feeling my account is going to start looking like that one we saw a long time ago where the store accidentally printed out all the notes when he asked for his account history. "We think he's making money on this somehow." But mine will be more like "He keeps returning stuff... son of a bitch thinks just because he buys 30 games, he's allowed to return three."

Damn, take a look at Square Enix's E3 show list:

Final Fantasy III (DS)
Final Fantasy V (GBA)
Final Fantasy VI (GBA)
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS)
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PSP)
Children of Mana (DS)
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria (PS2)
Dawn of Mana (PS2)

What are the chances GR will get ANY of these titles (possibly they will get the 1 PSP and 2 PS2 ones anyway)? I've checked on a few of these and they weren't in the system last week. If anyone finds out about these getting added please let me know. I have a few dead preorders I can switch.

[quote name='io']Damn, take a look at Square Enix's E3 show list:

Final Fantasy III (DS)
Final Fantasy V (GBA)
Final Fantasy VI (GBA)
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS)
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PSP)
Children of Mana (DS)
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria (PS2)
Dawn of Mana (PS2)[/QUOTE]

mmmmm.. RPGs.. :drool:

I'm going to be in Atlanta in a few weeks. I checked the GR store located for the zip code I'm visiting. There are TEN GR within 25 miles of that zip! That is just insane! I have yet to visit more than just the one GR I have here. I couldn't imagine having that kind of selection. Guess I know what I'll be doing in the evenings. It's too bad it will be before the 75% off though. I guess I could risk buying some things there and returning/repurchasing when I get home. That ought to make my local GR happy :D.

Hell, I can probably just cancel my Metroid Prime preorder, get the $35 credit, and buy the game when I'm out there (and since I'll have my DS with me I can play it right away!). Would have to pay sales tax though - damn sales tax. :D

I know this isn't Brain Age io (i'm waiting for it too) but my GR got in Rampage for the Gamecube today. Have you guys heard any good/bad news about this title? I went ahead and bought a Brain Age from CC the other day and am holding on to the reciept so when (if) the game shows up at GR I'll use my credit to get it and return it to CC. They told me they have 2 on order and to check back tomorrow.

Some recent Trades:

PS2

Ape Escape 3 - $19.00
Champions of Norrath - $7.00
Champions 2: RTA - $12.00
Maximo - $0.75
Maximo Vs. Army of Zin - $1.50
Rumble Roses - $0.75

PS1

Gex - $1.00

GameCube

Viewtiful Joe - $2.50
Viewtiful Joe 2 - $1.25

Xbox

Rapala Pro Fishing - $1.50

NDS

Pokemon Trozei - $15.00
Trace Memory - $4.50

Only interesting thing was that I actually made money on Ape 3 since I got it at BB for $15 after GGC. Finished the game and traded it in for a little profit.

[quote name='io']I'm going to be in Atlanta in a few weeks. I checked the GR store located for the zip code I'm visiting. There are TEN GR within 25 miles of that zip! That is just insane! I have yet to visit more than just the one GR I have here. I couldn't imagine having that kind of selection. Guess I know what I'll be doing in the evenings. It's too bad it will be before the 75% off though. I guess I could risk buying some things there and returning/repurchasing when I get home. That ought to make my local GR happy :D.

Hell, I can probably just cancel my Metroid Prime preorder, get the $35 credit, and buy the game when I'm out there (and since I'll have my DS with me I can play it right away!). Would have to pay sales tax though - damn sales tax. :D[/quote]

What zip? Depending on the area I might be of some help. There seem to be a lot of CAG's in the ATL.

[quote name='neocisco']What zip? Depending on the area I might be of some help. There seem to be a lot of CAG's in the ATL.[/QUOTE]

30092 - It looks like the 2 Alpharetta locations are the closest. Any tips/hints on good GR with decent selections? It looks like I will only have ONE evening where I can run to GR (and CC, if it is convenient neocisco!). So maybe I can hit 2 GR's. I'm really curious to see how some others are run.

I didn't think we had ANY Atlanta people in the GR thread - it seems everyone is from Florida, Ohio or SoCal. I didn't know you were there.

I wish we had some GR's around by me, but we don't. But, my Blockbuster had a shelf or three with the 50% off games. I nabbed a copy of Xenosaga II a while back from them($10), which I was gonna flip on Ebay with the guide I bought from a TRU going outta biz for like $20 or so.

Though, now that I think about it, I may just FINALLY end up playing it(since I rebought a PStwo last week).

Either way, the only game store/video store combo we have is ONE Gamecrazy/Hollywood Video combo store, which is about 30-45 mins from me at the least.

Also, has anyone else noticed that Blockbuster took down their 'grace period' stuff from when they had that whole 'you can keep it longer' debacle?

I wonder if this means they eliminated that policy now? Anyone who works for Blockbuster, please clarify, did they eliminate the late fee grace period deal?

[quote name='botticus']Interesting... I just got a call that Tetris is in, even though I filled my preorder a week ago.[/QUOTE]

hmmm...interesting.

[quote name='botticus']Interesting... I just got a call that Tetris is in, even though I filled my preorder a week ago.[/QUOTE]

D'oh! #-o

Funny, I DIDN'T get a call that Metroid was in :bomb:

[quote name='io']30092 - It looks like the 2 Alpharetta locations are the closest. Any tips/hints on good GR with decent selections? It looks like I will only have ONE evening where I can run to GR (and CC, if it is convenient neocisco!). So maybe I can hit 2 GR's. I'm really curious to see how some others are run.

I didn't think we had ANY Atlanta people in the GR thread - it seems everyone is from Florida, Ohio or SoCal. I didn't know you were there.[/quote]

My CC is definitely out of the way for you but there is one in Alpharetta you should check out. There is also a BB and TRU in the immediate area. North Point Mall also has 1 EB that I know of. I don't know the area well enough to tell you where the GR's are, though.

There's a GameRush on Old Milton Pkwy/State Bridge in Alpharetta, GA that I (used to) frequent being only a few miles from my house. Honestly, the staff has turned over so much that I don't know anyone there anymore and with the inconsistency in getting games on time and lack of any really good used stuff, I just don't visit except for a special occasion. I have $250 in credit that I'm hoping will be used for a PS3 but if it looks like it's going to close, I'll bite the bullet and pick up a PSP instead.

:whistle2:\"

:whistle2:\"

So, I wonder when GR will start taking preorders for the Wii?
I do NOT look forward to asking about that :lol:.

got phairah @ a Ft Wayne Blockbuster still rang up as $15.XX with tax so don't know if the sale is in effect @ the Fort wayne IN blockbusters
'

[quote name='io']
So, I wonder when GR will start taking preorders for the Wii?
I do NOT look forward to asking about that :lol:.[/QUOTE]
:lol:
No Lost Magic or Odama today, but they did get in a couple copies of Brain Age.

[quote name='botticus']:lol:
No Lost Magic or Odama today, but they did get in a couple copies of Brain Age.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's some bit of good news - at least not ALL Nintendo (specifically) and DS (in general) games have stopped shipping to GR. I'm going to be up there in a couple hours. Here's hoping they got Brain Age in at my store (and MPH!). I'm going to check on all those Squeenix games in the preorder system, as well as do my weekly New Super Mario Brothers preorder query.

[quote name='eraser813']Brain Age came in at my GR also. Highland, Ca.[/QUOTE]

Well, no Brain Age or Metroid at my GR tonight. I was able to get a sliver of good news though: they finally added New Super Mario Brothers to the preorder list for DS - now whether they get it or not is a different story. I switched a dead preorder over to it in any case. They also have Rogue Galaxy for PS2 in the system (at $49.99 but since it is a Sony title I'm sure it will come out at $39.99 - so I'm only going to preorder this if they will switch my Metroid preorder over for free, which they should since it never came in and it was a $29.99 deal preorder).

They DO NOT have the Valkyrie Profile games (either PSP or PS2), or the Squeenix DS titles in the system yet (DQ, FF III).

I forget, when did GR start taking 360 pre-orders? was it after E3? I pre-ordered early...but I forgot when. It seems the PS3 is coming out around the same timeframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back