Games you were excited about and turned out to be TurDs !!!

X-Men for Genesis. About pissed myself waiting for it, then got it for my birthday the week following release. Turned out to be a terrible piece of shit. I remember sitting there trying to convince myself it was good and I got a great birthday present.

[quote name='KaneRobot']X-Men for Genesis. About pissed myself waiting for it, then got it for my birthday the week following release. Turned out to be a terrible piece of shit. I remember sitting there trying to convince myself it was good and I got a great birthday present.[/QUOTE]

Is that the one you had to reset the Genesis to advance past the 5th level (Mojo's world)? That was its only redeeming quality and probably among the first instances of really breaking the 4th wall or whatever they say. That game was pretty decent.
This thread is sort of hollow. It either boils down to "this game was overhyped" or "I just don't like this game."
I know everyone says "it's your opinion and blah blah" and yeah everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I still tend to think most people know quality when they see it. Like the Devil May Cry series - that was quality.
It just depends on what you are looking for out of a game. I tend to judge a game on how close it came to fulfilling the goal the designers had for it.
Devil May Cry was supposed to make the player feel like an action hero, giving control to moves that were usually reserved for cut scenes (ex. the stripper pole in the third one - not groundbreaking...just fun as hell). I think it did that and did that well, so that's not a disappointment.
God of War, same thing. It was about very visceral combat, and it acheived that through its controls, graphics, atmosphere, etc.
The medium of gaming is about taking all these tools and utilizing each of them to create a feeling. Many games are successful at this.
Some that weren't - MGS 2 (people who praise the story aren't thinking, it was a turd and made no sense), Kingdom Hearts 2 (not because it wasn't great, but because the story blew and I guess the whole novelty "OMG ITS SQUALL AND YUFFIE AND HOLY SHIT MICKEY MOUSE)" sort of wore off), and, of course, Fable. Not because Fable wasn't an OK game, it was just so...generic. People would have forgiven it if it had disappointed but still been unique. People will never forgive generic.
I prefer to think about all the pleasant surprises: what about Godhand? I bought for $11 during the CC clearance and man, aside from bad clipping on walls, I would have felt fine paying $40 for it. Criminally underrated.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.

At least for me, this was the biggest disappointment of the last generation. I had such hopes for Square's return to a Nintendo console. FF on the cube? fuck yeah!

Wrong wrong wrong.

Don't confuse overhyped with actual crappy games. Just cause it was over hyped doesn't mean it's a turd.

If you thought Bioshock and Fable were disapointments, then consider yourself lucky that you haven't played a really shity game.

For me the new Sonic title for the X360/PS3....I just want a good, mechanically competent Sonic in 3D....The most fun playing a 3D sonic I've had yet is STILL Sonic Adventure on the DC...which is sad....I think Sonic Team needs more pressure to make a good game.

[quote name='Joon2324']Ninety Nine Nights. 360 games were lacking, and trailers made it look cool.[/quote]

Wow when I had my 360 that was one of the few games I liked

Someone mentioned it earlier and I will repeat it again.....Pacman for the Atari 2600. That game was the first great misfire in video game history and a kick in the balls to all the people who rushed to the stores and bought it.

[quote name='Xevious']Someone mentioned it earlier and I will repeat it again.....Pacman for the Atari 2600. That game was the first great misfire in video game history and a kick in the balls to all the people who rushed to the stores and bought it.[/quote]

It was still pac man just a little more squared lol don't lie you know you people still had fun with it.

I think the biggest dissappointment was the first 3d castlevania on ps2. Never played a 3d castlevania after that so can't say anything about those. It just lost all of the cool atmosphere that I thought the 2d ones had. Everything sort of looked the same (didn't get too far into it though so can't comment too much).

[quote name='dragonsho']I think the biggest dissappointment was the first 3d castlevania on ps2. Never played a 3d castlevania after that so can't say anything about those. It just lost all of the cool atmosphere that I thought the 2d ones had. Everything sort of looked the same (didn't get too far into it though so can't comment too much).[/quote]

Wow did you ever play the 3D Castlevania's on the N64 ? llol the PS2 ones were much better..

[quote name='refusedchaos']the Gungraves....i loved the anime and i was so excited when i heard they were coming out......damn[/QUOTE]

Oddly enough, Gungrave was the one anime adapted from a game that turned out to be good... but the games are awful.

[quote name='Derrick1979']Wow did you ever play the 3D Castlevania's on the N64 ? llol the PS2 ones were much better..[/quote]
Yeah I did play the n64 one. It was pretty damn awful but I bought it for like $5 from the video store near my house so didn't really expect much. This is was before I fell in love with castlevania also so I didn't know how amazing the others were.

[quote name='Chacrana']Oddly enough, Gungrave was the one anime adapted from a game that turned out to be good... but the games are awful.[/QUOTE]

Weren't those games budget priced for like $20 - $10 at launch?

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Weren't those games budget priced for like $20 - $10 at launch?[/QUOTE]

I think the first one retailed for the standard $50 (not positive), but the second game, Overdose, retailed for $15.

One I fogot to mention was Steambot Chronicles....

This is another one of those love hate titles and just to much was bad for me to like it.....

This to me was another one of those Atlus "oh it is going to be rare" titles lol

Unreal Tournament 2003

Whoever butchered Face 3 with that stupid fucking pyramid (Inoxx?) should be shot.

... oh, and pretty much every FPS that came out after Deus Ex ;P

[quote name='refusedchaos']the Gungraves....i loved the anime and i was so excited when i heard they were coming out......damn[/QUOTE]
I liked them, however since he
dies at the end of 1
I like how at the beginning of Overdose the girl just says
I brought him back to life somehow

That avoids any boring plot they might have put in :lol:

You know I have seen this thread various times since its been up... I always thought it was some thread to rag on DS games since the D in Turds was capitalized.

Fable for me was the game I just had a hard time getting into after the hype. I even tried toa void the hype for that very reason.

[quote name='Chacrana']Oddly enough, Gungrave was the one anime adapted from a game that turned out to be good... but the games are awful.[/QUOTE]

yea...but at least Overdose was a bit playable

[quote name='whoknows']I liked them, however since he
dies at the end of 1
I like how at the beginning of Overdose the girl just says
I brought him back to life somehow

That avoids any boring plot they might have put in :lol:[/QUOTE]
true that

ok i got another one: Gundam Crossfire....i thought this game was going to be wicked cool but boy was i wrong..

All-Pro Football 2k8. It's not exactly a "turd", and it's still pretty enjoyable -- but, after the awesomeness that was NFL 2K5, I expected much more. I think I'm the only person who bought All-Pro at $60.

Also, Wrestlemania XXI for the xbox (1). All signs pointed to it being really bad, but I was basically just like "omg good grafix". Then I bought it...and was really disappointed. It could've been a good game, too, if the developers polished it some more.

[quote name='Hitze']All-Pro Football 2k8. It's not exactly a "turd", and it's still pretty enjoyable -- but, after the awesomeness that was NFL 2K5, I expected much more. I think I'm the only person who bought All-Pro at $60. [/quote]I did too! Got my money's worth I think. It's a solid football title that'll never go out of date so when I feel like throwing down some football, the latest Madden won't tempt me :)

g05706o0ayj.jpg

Anyone remember this turd? God, it was awful...

[quote name='pacifickarma']
g05706o0ayj.jpg

Anyone remember this turd? God, it was awful...[/quote]

Yeah, I remember this. But you were excited about it?

For me, it was a very obscure game for the Genesis called Saint Sword. I remember reading how you could turn into a Centaur, Winged swordman or a Merman. Then I bought and thought, WTF?!
Also, Mario Kart Double Dash. The whole 2 person thing made no sense, and they took away the jumping.
Oh yeah, Lair and Madden 08 for the PS3. What the fuck were they smoking?!

Sonic the Hedgehog.

Damn, this game was supposed to be THE game to save the Sonic franchise after the turd that was Shadow. It's only slightly better than Shadow...ok it's a bit better, but it still sucks like heck!

Damn you, new Sonicteam, I loved Sonic Adventure!

THIS is the game that lost my faith in Sonicteam...and since then I have refused to buy any Sonicteam games unless I really read the reviews carefully....and thoroughly. Right now I believe Nights will suck...I just don't have faith any more.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Nice well thought out post you have here.

On an related note, there are days I wish abortions were manditory.

Don't breed.

Edit: It has been brought to my attention that you hated state of emergency... while that only requires more taste than a soda cracker... it commands a small iota of respect.[/quote]

Normally, I would consider these biting remarks and cynicism to be the hallmark of an uncultured individual.

However, you have Okami as your avatar.

Carry on.

[quote name='whoknows']Dead Rising.

This one really hurt since I was really excited to get it.[/quote]Awww. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this, whoknows. Anything specific or over all you just didn't care for it?

[quote name='guinaevere']Awww. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this, whoknows. Anything specific or over all you just didn't care for it?[/QUOTE]
The save system is the main thing that killed it for me. The rest of the game was ok, but not as good as I had hoped. I recently got a 360 and it was my most wanted game. I guess my expectations were just too high :cry:

Pretty much any game that had a really cool advertisement in the NES days. I'd get sucked in by those.

Also, almost any fighter that came out within 5 years of SF2, but wasn't named Mortal Kombat.

[quote name='Apossum']Pretty much any game that had a really cool advertisement in the NES days. I'd get sucked in by those.[/QUOTE]

Everyone had those few "turds" in thier NES collection. For me it was Caveman Games. What the hell was I thinking when I decided to buy that?

I think this may have already been mentioned but the original Katamari. Bought it when it first came out after reading about it, but I didn't play it for some time later. During that time the hype was overwhelming. I finally got around to playing it and I was bored.

Another for me is Lumines.

[quote name='whoknows']The save system is the main thing that killed it for me. The rest of the game was ok, but not as good as I had hoped. I recently got a 360 and it was my most wanted game. I guess my expectations were just too high :cry:[/quote]I can understand that.

I was hoping for a creepier game from the zombie side. The creeps turned out to be the scoop characters you'd have to fight (that fat policewoman and the clown come to mind). I love the game for the number of enemies onscreen at any one time. Driving and running through the tunnels, the onscreen enemies is crazy high. I still play here and there to get any of the achievements I've missed. But it didn't scare me as I was hoping it would. Still fun to play, though.

I think my biggest disappointment right now is halo 3. It's beautiful and plays perfectly
aside from cortana and gravemind interrupting you every five minutes and the vehicles being scripted to be allowed in some areas but not others... at least in one and two if you managed to get a vehicle where it wasn't supposed to go, you could still use it. In halo 3, if you're in a vehicle and the designers wanted you on foot in the next section, you hit ye olde invisible wall until you get out of the vehicle.
But the storytelling took a huge dive. One and Two, you'd play the game and the story unfolded. In Three, the cut scenes are... I dunno, it's like "okay here's what's going on NOW." Like what they say about a joke, if you have to explain it, it wasn't funny. In three, they keep trying to tell you what the story is and why this is important and blah blah blah, and it comes over as poorly constructed.

And Cortana writhing in agony is just absurd. She's a program/AI/OS/whatever. I get that she was scripted to be an interface, and a userfriendly interface at that. I get that she was created to have a personality. Loved her in one, she got toned down in two and she's completely absurd in three.

Phantasy Star Universe , the Wii system is sucking really bad right now. Also I just recently played the new Fear demo and wow am I dissapointed. I loved the 1st one so much.

bread's done
Back