Games you were excited about and turned out to be TurDs !!!

spiderman 2....hyped up, played basically all the way through, but once you got past the first few missions, you realize the voices are annoying, the game is shallow, and it basically feels like a tech demo of swinging spidey around

gta: sa....bought it, barely played it, really come on, you can't fix any of the broken controls to this series? so many things that were still never corrected from gta 3 in this game...plus RPG type elements? what idiot thought that was a great idea?

oh and world series baseball 2k1, um hello this game was hyped to be like the saturn/genny MLB series, you couldnt field, the game was broken, didnt feature anything that was mentioned early on that the game would include (including what was on the cd case itself), was unfinished, and yuck just terrible

[quote name='The Crotch']If it's not a turd, then why bring it up?[/quote]

Because some people want to threadcrap.

Because others read the first half ("games you were excited about") and don't bother with the second.

Maybe someone ought to create a "Games you were excited about and were massively disappointed with" thread although half the posts for that are already here.

A "turd" should be something worthless, awful, and (figuratively, at least) complete shit. While there may be a person or two who likes that sort of thing, there really should be general agreement that yes, that's a steaming pile of crap.

The Wii and PSP are not turds. Halo 3 is not a turd. Gears of War is not a turd. Katamari is not a turd. You may not personally like them, but you're just showing one of two things if you declare they're turds. You're showing you can't read/understand really basic words, or that your idea of being provocative is utterly lame and pathetic.

Wiffle Ball is a turd. Shogun Empires is a turd. Elf Bowling is a turd.

Granted, those games probably don't belong in this thread either, as I can't imagine anyone excited by them. But those games are certifiable turds.

Games like PS3/360 Sonic, Bomberman Act Zero, DS Lego Star Wars II, DK Barrel Blast -- these are the kind of turds we should be talking about here.

Can we get back to some genuine crap here?

wow your looking way to far into this.. to each his own and what they think was a turd is thier opinion and you can take "turd to any content you want just not a reason to start a fight seeing this thread has been fairly clean...

I gotta agree with blandstalker. Several pages back I wrote something similar to this; but if you thought games like Halo 3 & Gears of War were turds then consider yourself lucky.

I think most of the posts aren't meeting the criteria of both "excited about" & "complete turds." Just my observation.

Just because the OP used the term "turds" doesn't mean you have to take it literally. He started off with Persona 3, which has gotten great reviews from media and fans, so that lends itself more to a thread about letdowns than actual worthless games. So how are you going to define "turd"? It is semantics.

The thread has over 200 replies and almost 5,000 views so someone must be enjoying it.

To me Katamari was a terrible game. Different? Yes. But I stopped playing after a few levels because I was bored and didn't enjoy it so to me it was a "turd", despite what anyone else says.

[quote name='blandstalker']Because some people want to threadcrap.[/quote]
To me you are the one threadcrapping here. Let the thread evolve into what others want, not what you want.

I also hate the 3D sonic games after sonic adventure.

Why can't we just run Sonic around in scenic on-rails rollercoaster tracks and loops while avoiding cool enemies and grabbing gold rings (hardcore games could have the option to turn the rails off) I would totally buy that game no problem.

I really don't give a fuck about a side-mission involving fat cat and his lost fishy. If you really need side characters, just have a shadow bonus mission where he plays like a slightly slower Sonic with a death blossom button.

All-Pro Football
I should've read the reviews on this one before I purchased it. I was expecting NFL 2k5 style gameplay. Boy was I wrong. The game just feels extremely slow.

Dead Rising:
I had to forced myself to play through the game. But the save system and NPCs were so annoying

Loco Roco:
I just don't get the appeal or the challenge of this game

Metroid Prime, and Super Mario 64
I just don't like the new 3D nintendo games as much as I liked the old 2D ones

GTA San Andreas. I bought an Xbox just to play it, and got bored 1/3 of the way through. It was buggier than the first two, just as aggravating, and the characters were all so stupid with such awful dialogue that I wanted to see them all die.

Simpsons Hit and Run. I was looking forward to finally playing a good Simpsons game, and it started great. Then I realized the entire friggin game was like a series of training missions. And who wants to play a Simpsons game where you race cars all the time? Yeah, it had great SImpsons jokes, but the gameplay bored me to death. I think reviewers overscored it because they wanted so badly to finally like a Simpsons game.

[quote name='blandstalker']Halo 3 is not a turd.[/quote]The story telling in it is. Thankfully, I found a way to enjoy the game. By skipping past every single cut scene. But Mr the Crotch, I don't want any hard feelings. Shall I go out and get you a dish of all blue M&Ms or something? Would that help?

Oh, thought of another. Sword of Mana.

[quote name='guinaevere']I think my biggest disappointment right now is halo 3. It's beautiful and plays perfectly
aside from cortana and gravemind interrupting you every five minutes and the vehicles being scripted to be allowed in some areas but not others... at least in one and two if you managed to get a vehicle where it wasn't supposed to go, you could still use it. In halo 3, if you're in a vehicle and the designers wanted you on foot in the next section, you hit ye olde invisible wall until you get out of the vehicle.
But the storytelling took a huge dive. One and Two, you'd play the game and the story unfolded. In Three, the cut scenes are... I dunno, it's like "okay here's what's going on NOW." Like what they say about a joke, if you have to explain it, it wasn't funny. In three, they keep trying to tell you what the story is and why this is important and blah blah blah, and it comes over as poorly constructed.

And Cortana writhing in agony is just absurd. She's a program/AI/OS/whatever. I get that she was scripted to be an interface, and a userfriendly interface at that. I get that she was created to have a personality. Loved her in one, she got toned down in two and she's completely absurd in three.[/QUOTE]

No need for me to reiterate - gwen said it perfectly.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Simpsons Hit and Run. I was looking forward to finally playing a good Simpsons game, and it started great. Then I realized the entire friggin game was like a series of training missions. And who wants to play a Simpsons game where you race cars all the time? Yeah, it had great SImpsons jokes, but the gameplay bored me to death. I think reviewers overscored it because they wanted so badly to finally like a Simpsons game.[/quote]

Haha I felt the same way but never wanted to admit this because I really love the Simpsons and I thought the problem must have been me because the game scored so high. The Haloween thing was about the only thing I thought was really neat.

Yeah there were alot of problems - to be honest the new Simpsons game looks much better (actual levels!) but I'm willing to bet it has alot of the same "repetitiveness" issues.

You know what game feels like a turd in retrospect? Super Mario Bros 2. That game felt like the biggest waste of time. It also felt so removed from the original and even 3.

Let me add Jaws Unleashed to the mix. I was looking forward to playing as a "Great White Shark" And when I heard it was being developed by Appaloosa of Ecco fame I figured it was gonna be a sure fire win. I was dead wrong. Unfourtunate for me I didn't read any reviews or impressions and bought it the day of release. It got really old after about 1 hour. Sure, you can chomp and munch on innocent beach-goers, but it got old fast. The missions were boring with no replay value. It could be easily beaten in 5 - 7 hours. I think I beat it the next morning.

I saw this game as a Greatest Hits a few days ago and it baffled me. Isn't a game supposed to sell a certian amount and be a semi-decent game? This was none of the above.

[quote name='jordan23']It is a good game mechanically and fairly well executed.[/QUOTE]

You mean Jaws? If so sorry, but I gotta disagree. The controls were poor, getting this guy where he needed to go wasn't fun (unike Ecco.) The camera seems like it tries it's best to be screwy. It's so bad it makes navigating through small spaces is a pain and often Jaws would get stuck in walls, pipes, etc. A few times I've had the timer run out and lose the mission just cause I was stuck. This game was poorly executed and mechanically frustrating.

[quote name='lawlflip']Gears of War
Halo 3
Shadowrun
Saints Row

Can't think of anymore right now.[/quote]

Dude, no way.

[quote name='davo1224']You know what game feels like a turd in retrospect? Super Mario Bros 2. That game felt like the biggest waste of time. It also felt so removed from the original and even 3.[/quote]

Agreed.

I played it years later and was like - WTF

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Let me add Jaws Unleashed to the mix. I was looking forward to playing as a "Great White Shark" And when I heard it was being developed by Appaloosa of Ecco fame I figured it was gonna be a sure fire win. I was dead wrong. Unfourtunate for me I didn't read any reviews or impressions and bought it the day of release. It got really old after about 1 hour. Sure, you can chomp and munch on innocent beach-goers, but it got old fast. The missions were boring with no replay value. It could be easily beaten in 5 - 7 hours. I think I beat it the next morning.

I saw this game as a Greatest Hits a few days ago and it baffled me. Isn't a game supposed to sell a certian amount and be a semi-decent game? This was none of the above.[/quote]

Im starting to think that whole GH" title is a ploy to get people to buy these games after they price drop.... parents will go out and see " Greatest Hits" and say wow all these must be great games and look hunny they are only $19.99... great way to sell....

1. Halo 3
1a. Halo 2

All these two games have done is sit on my makeshift entertainment system. The only real reason I have them was to complete the Halo story, and it's really the only game my friends play on Live.

Brute Force, Had such fun playing its story with 4 player co-op, but the multiplayer and online was horrible.

Lost Planet, Was really excited to play that game after playing the demo, but found the story to not make any sense and took a lot a way from gameplay since I was doing objectives, but didn't know why.

[quote name='basilofbkrst'][SIZE=-1]Gauntlet: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Seven Sorrows
Perfect Dark Zero

And of course:
Final Fantasy 7 :puke:
[/SIZE][/quote]

I will say FFIII (or 6) to me was the best FF game and 7 was good but not great but it did set the line for all the pretty CG cut scene's we all know and expect from a FF game.

[quote name='ighosty']Brute Force, Had such fun playing its story with 4 player co-op, but the multiplayer and online was horrible.
[/quote]

Brute Force didn't have online multi-player.

[quote name='rmb']bioshock
[/QUOTE]
OMG UR SO COOL

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Galaga: Destination Earth (or whatever the name it was for the remake of the arcade game) PSone[/QUOTE]
I remember that game...did some cool stuff like changing the views.

Tempest X3 (PS1)

I loved Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar, but this version was damn near unplayable. It was really hard to tell what was going on, with so much needlessly happening on the screen.

Warcraft Adventures. OK... doesn't really fit with the thread. But I was looking foward to it, then Blizzard scapped it, I'm assuming because it was a TurD. :(

[quote name='mrelusive']Warcraft Adventures. OK... doesn't really fit with the thread. But I was looking foward to it, then Blizzard scapped it, I'm assuming because it was a TurD. :([/quote]

Speaking of Blizzard what ever happened to that console 3rd person shooter "Star Craft: Ghost" I think it was called....

I would have to say jericho,
the new one by clive barker.

I was excited with the screen shots and it does look nice but the squad based game play sucks and i think it just feels clunky in the demo.

but i did only play it on ps3 so maybe other versions are better?
but i doubt it....

Starcraft: Ghost has been effectively cast into the Development Phantom Zone, set adrift in space. That's not to say a Starcraft II shockwave couldn't shatter its prison and free it (they discuss this game specifically on a recent "GFW Radio"*, I think).

Topic-wise, it's Prey for me. Yes, Summer '06 was a desperate time for 360 owners. Real desperate. And on top of the totally insipid, knuckledragger-pandering, penalty-free 'death' mechanic, the teleportation portal puzzles were apparently designed by and for first-graders.

But hey, easy Achievement points!

P.S. Could my answer have been a console? I kid, I kid!!

*--"Listen to our podcast, yo, yo!"

[quote name='Derrick1979']Speaking of Blizzard what ever happened to that console 3rd person shooter "Star Craft: Ghost" I think it was called....[/quote] Yeah, Ghost was canned last year. It lives on as a great book though (mind you a prequel to the game's story), which I'm about 2/3rds of the way through.

[quote name='The Crotch']I believe I was promised a danish! I know I'm on live right now. I don't care. I'm not doing anything until I get my danish![/quote]But... I'm not on live. =(

[quote name='ighosty']Brute Force, Had such fun playing its story with 4 player co-op, but the multiplayer and online was horrible. [/quote]I loved Brute Force, but it was definately one of those, it's so bad (characters/story) it's enjoyable experiences. Had the halo engine, so it played perfectly.

[quote name='evilmax17']Tempest X3 (PS1)

I loved Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar, but this version was damn near unplayable. [/quote]Aww yeah! Tempest 2000 high five, my friend. Never tried Tempest x3. Dont think I will now, either.

Half-Life 2--I don't know if it's because it's been over-hyped or I just don't like this particular brand of dystopian storytelling (I loved Bioshock, though). It could also be because I'm playing it on the 360 for the first time, but donno...really wanted to like this game, was excited about the chance to play it, but fell flat on its face for me.

Silent Hill 3--My introduction to the Silent Hill series, and failed hard in my eyes. Super slow paced survival horror may just not be my thing.

Blitz: The League--I still play Blitz 2000 on the N64 two or three times a week with my dad, and I was hoping for a game that'd make him keen to take a new console for a spin. I turned this game on, played it for about five minutes, and then promptly deleted it from my hard drive. You don't take a BLITZ game and put in injuries.

FF Tactics advance...For that matter, most Square games as of late. What the heck is going on, here? Gimmie RoboTrek over any of these games.

Super Smash Bros Melee was such a letdown. I love the N64 one, and I still play it to this day. I just think that Melee sucks.

[quote name='IOnceWasLegend']Silent Hill 3--My introduction to the Silent Hill series, and failed hard in my eyes. Super slow paced survival horror may just not be my thing.[/quote]

IMO SH3 would suck if you never played the original (it wasn't that good).

SH2 is the only one you need to play.

Although it is a good game and all im going to say "Puzzle Quest" for the PS2.

The issue I have with the game is basically this, lets have all the fun of a RPG puzzle with reading segments. To be funny lets make the text tiny as hell without voiceovers...

WTF

bread's done
Back