GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

I haven't tied it, but I know there is a profile/login section in SPMC. Would that pull down settings from an online account?
IDK I think msql or whatever is called needs 24 hr server to get in touch for example, I will check what profile/login section does, but I think is just to have different profiles in that same kodi/spmc machine, thanks!

Not sure if any of you show interest in SlingTV (http://www.sling.com), but I received my 7-day trial over the weekend and it streams perfectly. ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, USA, TBS, Food and more. $20/month after trial, but the app is nice to stream pay TV. USTVNOW is free for all locals, so this becomes a nice alternative TV Package with Sling, USTVNOW and addons to Kodi/SPMC for all the cable cutters out there. Dock is need for this to work, unless you get are getting fast wireless..........

UPDATE: PURCHASED AND SHIPPED

I'm kind of over mine, I mainly bought it for emulation but many of my arcade roms either do not work or have such choppy sound it makes them unplayable.

If anyone is interested I would sell the gamestick and dock (with controller and all cords) for 30 shipped. Just send me a PM if interested.

Also, I do not have the original packaging, but have all accessories still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if any of you show interest in SlingTV (http://www.sling.com), but I received my 7-day trial over the weekend and it streams perfectly. ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, USA, TBS, Food and more. $20/month after trial, but the app is nice to stream pay TV. USTVNOW is free for all locals, so this becomes a nice alternative TV Package with Sling, USTVNOW and addons to Kodi/SPMC for all the cable cutters out there. Dock is need for this to work, unless you get are getting fast wireless...
Nice find on Sling TV :) Also, the options you mentioned seem like nice (legal ?) alternatives to streaming.

Although I don't have an ethernet port near my GameStick, I'd pick up a dock if a GameStop near my had one in stock.

Having said that, has anyone tried using a USB to ethernet adapter? I know certain rooted phones can do it via an OTG cable, so I don't see why the GameStick wouldn't work. Does anyone know if the GameStick ethernet port is gigabit? I'm betting it's only 100 Mbps, but I could be wrong.

Nice find on Sling TV :) Also, the options you mentioned seem like nice (legal ?) alternatives to streaming.

Although I don't have an ethernet port near my GameStick, I'd pick up a dock if a GameStop near my had one in stock.

Having said that, has anyone tried using a USB to ethernet adapter? I know certain rooted phones can do it via an OTG cable, so I don't see why the GameStick wouldn't work. Does anyone know if the GameStick ethernet port is gigabit? I'm betting it's only 100 Mbps, but I could be wrong.
According to someone in an earlier post they will work just fine. Just disable the wifi and it should pick up an internet connection via ethernet with that.

According to someone in an earlier post they will work just fine. Just disable the wifi and it should pick up an internet connection via ethernet with that.
Cool :) Seems like a nice alternative to a dock, especially if you can find a cheap adapter. I know the 100 Mbps ones are cheap; gigabit is a little more expensive though.

Might be a good item to get off eBay (shipping from China) really cheap :p

Cool :) Seems like a nice alternative to a dock, especially if you can find a cheap adapter. I know the 100 Mbps ones are cheap; gigabit is a little more expensive though.

Might be a good item to get off eBay (shipping from China) really cheap :p
Depending on your home setup, this is a GREAT alternative. Never have it drop below 65mbps plugged into the same outlet as the TV.
www.ebay.com/itm/291361412429

There's even cheaper ones from china but I chose to get one from the states = less shipping time for $3 extra.

Depending on your home setup, this is a GREAT alternative. Never have it drop below 65mbps plugged into the same outlet as the TV.
www.ebay.com/itm/291361412429

There's even cheaper ones from china but I chose to get one from the states = less shipping time for $3 extra.
Yeah, I know you've mentioned those a few times in this thread.

I need to test the internet speed on my GameStick compared to the wired connection at my house. I don't have very fast internet at home, maybe 4 Mbps tops.

I feel the latest kodi X.1 loads faster on the gamestick.  Not too much, but it has improved.

also, by running the stick on a CEC hdmi port on mine and enabling easylink I have managed to get it to stay booted up even after the tv is off, so I guess the hdmi and the dock are pushing the needed power after I made that simple change.  HDMI CEC sucks on mine though, I can write numbers and that is about it. (maybe because I'm using the blu-link controller)  lol

just picked up another gamstick yesterday and was playing around with it today for about an hour until it suddenly shut off. it was very hot and now i cant get it turned back on at all after about 5 attempts. first time ive had this problem. Waiting a little while to let it cool before i try again. any suggestions?

I just bought a new Gamestop wired PS3 controller and it worked great. I need to see what kind of speeds I'm getting. I have a 150 Mbps connection and it feels like it just chugs when using Kodi. Yes, I'm also usibg the dock and ethernet. Anybody know the top speed for the dock?

so my new gamestick (my 5th one) wont turn on still. no white LED, no power, no heat. i think its toast. i'd hate to return it since i have all my personal Google Play and Amazon info on it. how hard is it to open these things? im wondering if something got burned out inside now, and if its repairable.

Edit: yes, im using AC power adapters and even 2 separate docks to no avail.

Edit #2: i got it opened, (very easy afterall) nothing seems out of place or burned out at all. very weird.

so my new gamestick (my 5th one) wont turn on still. no white LED, no power, no heat. i think its toast. i'd hate to return it since i have all my personal Google Play and Amazon info on it. how hard is it to open these things? im wondering if something got burned out inside now, and if its repairable.

Edit #2: i got it opened, (very easy afterall) nothing seems out of place or burned out at all. very weird.
Yeah, probably just going to have to chalk it up as a loss. If it were just over heating I would say go crazy with some cooling mods for fun but it sounds like it's completely dead.

On a side note, apparently my tv usb port provides enough power to run a usb powered external hdd, wired mouse and xbox 360 wireless dongle all at once.

What emulators are you guys using. I am getting all kinds of crashes with Mupen and the sega emu i had on my nexus has no controller option other than touch

Anyone know how to remap the buttons (in keyboard mode) for the Red Samurai controller? I am at a complete loss. In the GS item description it says it is possible. There are no instructions on how to do it in the user guide. (Stupid GS!)

and this worlds away better than the optional Gamestick controller for $9?
I'm still getting used to the Red Samurai but I can tell you this: Just about anything is better then the GameStick controller.

Anyone know how to remap the buttons (in keyboard mode) for the Red Samurai controller? I am at a complete loss. In the GS item description it says it is possible, yet there are no instructions on how to do it in the user guide. (Stupid GS!)

^Wondering about this as well. I have yet to find a wireless controller that seamlessly handles navigation and performs well for retro gaming. I've had trouble with emulators only recognizing the analog stick, and not the d-pad. I've tried 360 controllers (wired and wireless) a DS3 (wired) and a WiiMote.

Well, i waited a day until trying to get my 5th gamestick running again and its not turning on for the life of me. I have some personal info on the onboard memory and since i cant turn it on to delete it, i gave the stick a quick ZAP in the microwave before re-assembling it so i can return it to Lamestop with piece-of-mind. so far only 1 out of 5 failed on me. May have to buy the next one on the site since i liquidated my brick and mortar stores of these things.

^Wondering about this as well. I have yet to find a wireless controller that seamlessly handles navigation and performs well for retro gaming. I've had trouble with emulators only recognizing the analog stick, and not the d-pad. I've tried 360 controllers (wired and wireless) a DS3 (wired) and a WiiMote.
official DS3, you can set it up as mouse and keyboard.

it is a very fragile item, A 3 INCH fall 'damaged' my first one while on. Didn't even last 5 minutes w me. Second one worked great out of the box. Handle them w care and use the cable extensions for CFW then set up in the dock forever. Prob. the leadfree joints are crap and very moldable in warm heat.

it is a very fragile item, A 3 INCH fall 'damaged' my first one while on. Didn't even last 5 minutes w me. Second one worked great out of the box. Handle them w care and use the cable extensions for CFW then set up in the dock forever. Prob. the leadfree joints are crap and very moldable in warm heat.
ya know, after some very extreme magnified examination, i thought i noticed a crack in the solder leading to the mini usb port inside. i Opened 2 others and the solder was in all different spots and quantity in the 3 i looked at. I came to the conclusion that these things had ZERO quality control and like you said, i keep them safe and cool in my docks as well. i didnt have the one that "burned out" in a dock, during my app download frenzy and think thats what ruined it (maybe?). Funny because i have a GS in my sons room with no dock and its on nearly everyother day streaming cartoons and have had zero problems with his.

ya know, after some very extreme magnified examination, i thought i noticed a crack in the solder leading to the mini usb port inside. i Opened 2 others and the solder was in all different spots and quantity in the 3 i looked at. I came to the conclusion that these things had ZERO quality control and like you said, i keep them safe and cool in my docks as well. i didnt have the one that "burned out" in a dock, during my app download frenzy and think thats what ruined it (maybe?). Funny because i have a GS in my sons room with no dock and its on nearly everyother day streaming cartoons and have had zero problems with his.
It prob. depends on many factors, Downloading and installing a bunch of apps will make it very hot inside than normal use. The main issue IMO is how the stick plugs into the TV, If it sits flat vs vertical in the HDMI port, maybe your sons TV lays it flat and yours was vertical or simple his has a better solder job. This solder nonsense reminds me of my fatty 60GB ps3 lol. I miss it kinda.

It prob. depends on many factors, Downloading and installing a bunch of apps will make it very hot inside than normal use. The main issue IMO is how the stick plugs into the TV, If it sits flat vs vertical in the HDMI port, maybe your sons TV lays it flat and yours was vertical or simple his has a better solder job. This solder nonsense reminds me of my fatty 60GB ps3 lol. I miss it kinda.
his GS is actually hanging (his tv is a wall mounted tiny 19 inch) and the GS that burned out was hanging in my room in the same fashion. i was in the middle of DLing some apps and updating some apps when the TV literally just shut off on its own. At first i thought it was the extension cord (for power) that crapped the bed, but after testing it on every tv in the house i had the same issue, no power to the gamestick. I wanna say that the GS was used, The sticker that holds the box shut seemed tampered with and the baggie that holds the gamestick controller combo had scotch tape keeping it closed. Im fairly certain it was already faulty to begin with. I had my local Gamestop send it to their store from another store thats like 50 miles away. Not their fault if it was preowned.

his GS is actually hanging (his tv is a wall mounted tiny 19 inch) and the GS that burned out was hanging in my room in the same fashion. i was in the middle of DLing some apps and updating some apps when the TV literally just shut off on its own. At first i thought it was the extension cord (for power) that crapped the bed, but after testing it on every tv in the house i had the same issue, no power to the gamestick. I wanna say that the GS was used, The sticker that holds the box shut seemed tampered with and the baggie that holds the gamestick controller combo had scotch tape keeping it closed. Im fairly certain it was already faulty to begin with. I had my local Gamestop send it to their store from another store thats like 50 miles away. Not their fault if it was preowned.
Sucks to hear you guys have been having problems... I've literally not had a single overheat or dead unit yet. A friend at work also gave me his to flash today and I had it in my pocket with my keys all day and no problems. I've not been gentle with them either as I'm sure you can tell from my literal hacking job on that one to put the heat sinks on.

One of my sticks w/ dock has been freezing lately... might be due to downloading multiple files to an external HDD at the same time... as it seems to lockup when I do that. Perhaps it's the external HDD driver? :\

Sucks to hear you guys have been having problems... I've literally not had a single overheat or dead unit yet. A friend at work also gave me his to flash today and I had it in my pocket with my keys all day and no problems. I've not been gentle with them either as I'm sure you can tell from my literal hacking job on that one to put the heat sinks on.
1 out of 5 isnt too bad still. im overall extremely happy with the ones i have now. That dead one i just had was returned and i got a full cash back refund, so i have no reason to complain.

Picked up the last GameStick at the local GS, and apparently the last one in a hundred mile radius. No docks left, unfortunately; if anyone can pick one up cheap at their local store I'd be happy to reimburse them, or maybe I'll get lucky and some overstock went to a local thrift store.

Is there any guide for setting up PS3 controllers? I kind of feel like an idiot here. Got the Sixaxis tool installed, got a clone controller paired. Doesn't seem to work at all USB-only; the only buttons that work in main menus are select to go back and start to tap; everything else either does nothing or acts like I'm typing a number. Never mind, turns out it's precisely because it was a clone controller. The one official controller I have on hand works over USB but doesn't seem to like the Sixaxis tool.

Also refuses to mount a FAT32 USB stick from my hub, even though I know damn well the hub and USB stick are working.

Picked up the last GameStick at the local GS, and apparently the last one in a hundred mile radius. No docks left, unfortunately; if anyone can pick one up cheap at their local store I'd be happy to reimburse them, or maybe I'll get lucky and some overstock went to a local thrift store.

Is there any guide for setting up PS3 controllers? I kind of feel like an idiot here. Got the Sixaxis tool installed, got a clone controller paired. Doesn't seem to work at all USB-only; the only buttons that work in main menus are select to go back and start to tap; everything else either does nothing or acts like I'm typing a number. Never mind, turns out it's precisely because it was a clone controller. The one official controller I have on hand works over USB but doesn't seem to like the Sixaxis tool.

Also refuses to mount a FAT32 USB stick from my hub, even though I know damn well the hub and USB stick are working.
Set it up as NTFS then, I have a 500gb hdd hooked up to mine with all of my roms/isos.

The FAT32 requirement is only for the micro usb card for the initial recovery menu.

Yeah, NTFS works. It's a bit bizarre as my phone and tablet both refuse to work with NTFS sticks but work fine with FAT/FAT32.

For some weird reason my Gamestick Wifi has been unreliable this week its been costantly losing connection. Already rebooted my router and to no avail all my other devices work fine. Anybody with some tips or quick fixes? I'm hoping its not hardware related.

For some weird reason my Gamestick Wifi has been unreliable this week its been costantly losing connection. Already rebooted my router and to no avail all my other devices work fine. Anybody with some tips or quick fixes? I'm hoping its not hardware related.
Wifi is extremely sketchy on these and ouya, if you HAVE to go wifi like myself I would highly recommend getting a cheap wifi repeater to plug in next to your tv. Took my 5mbps connection to a solid 65mbps connection.

So I managed to snag another unit to mess with. That makes 3. All 3 have terrible pairing issues with the controller. Works fine on a fresh start up but looses sync is about 5 minutes of idle time. After that I gotta grab my keyboard and go back into settings and turn the Bluetooth on and off to pair with the controller.

Couple questions! I have my GS in a dock but am currently using wifi.

1. Anybody having trouble getting Bluetooth to turn on? When I go to the Bluetooth control panel, it shows Bluetooth is off. When I click on, it tries to turn Bluetooth on but it never actually comes on :whistle2:(

2. How do I get DOSBox Turbo to recognize my mouse? I have my game config to use Physical Mouse, and I have a USB mouse connected. I can see the Android cursor moving around the screen, but MOO2 cursor doesn't move unless I click and drag :whistle2:(

Quick question, sometimes when i watch a movie it stops and buffers so many times and I am sure the wifi is not the problem. Is there a way to fix this?, i know the gamestick has a small ram but maybe some of you dont have this problem.

Quick question, sometimes when i watch a movie it stops and buffers so many times and I am sure the wifi is not the problem. Is there a way to fix this?, i know the gamestick has a small ram but maybe some of you dont have this problem.
Are you watching something that you're streaming from a local source, i.e. a computer in another room, or are you asking about streaming something remotely in Kodi/XBMC/SPMC? Because as a longtime fan of XBMC (from waaaay back on the original Xbox), I can tell you: sometimes it's just the source, man. A buncha bootlegs running off a buncha servers in China, yes, it's a wonderful thing, but about half the time, those sources have issues and there's just nothing you can do about it. Frustrating, I know, especially when you're all sat down and ready to watch something and it just won't play, and your wife just pats you condescendingly on the hand and says "It's okay, sweetie, you tried." :)

I picked up the GameStop "Red Samurai" Bluetooth controller I've seen people recommend, and so far I really like it, as far as controllers go: it's very, very comfortable in my hands (I have small hands, so take that into consideration), and button presses feel good, a bit mushier than a Dual Shock, more like a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive pad. Feels good with most retro games I've tried, though I can't really tell if it's suffering the same "Bluetooth slowdown" that the stock GameStick pad seems to cause. But my couch is too far from my tv, and my toddler would trip over a long cord, so it's Bluetooth or bust for me :p

Very basic Home screen navigation with it is functional, in that I can move in four directions, and click forward and back, but that's about it. And in half the emulators I've tried, Back button functionality just stops, making me get up and plug in a mouse again just to navigate menus. So I guess I still haven't found the perfect all-in-one control device, but for $8 I can't really complain.

maybe your cache is full, select a lower quality stream of the same video and see if that solves it.

Thank you for the kind response mates and yes, that happens when i use kodi and yes, its very frustrating when you are ready to watch a movie and the thing does not work or it starts and 15 seconds later it buffers several times every 2 seconds.. I am very happy with this but thats the only problem i found even with good servers like "vk". Thanks again mates.

Couple questions! I have my GS in a dock but am currently using wifi.

1. Anybody having trouble getting Bluetooth to turn on? When I go to the Bluetooth control panel, it shows Bluetooth is off. When I click on, it tries to turn Bluetooth on but it never actually comes on

2. How do I get DOSBox Turbo to recognize my mouse? I have my game config to use Physical Mouse, and I have a USB mouse connected. I can see the Android cursor moving around the screen, but MOO2 cursor doesn't move unless I click and drag
Bumping in case it got lost on page 51 :)

Just got one of these this weekend and was able to install CFW. The controller is crap, but I do have a NES30 controller to test on it. That is currently charging. I saw the red samurai at my local gamestop, but did not get it yet.

Netflix works good, but the WWE app would not show anything. I could log in and select a show, but it would not play. Tried a snes emulator, but only with the stock controller. It was not worthwhile. Hopefully, the nes30 will do better.

Thank you for the kind response mates and yes, that happens when i use kodi and yes, its very frustrating when you are ready to watch a movie and the thing does not work or it starts and 15 seconds later it buffers several times every 2 seconds.. I am very happy with this but thats the only problem i found even with good servers like "vk". Thanks again mates.
If it helps: I tend to stick to SD video sources in Kodi/SPMC. Though the Gamestick is a damn sight better at decoding and playing HD video than other devices I've used to run XBMC/Kodi, I encounter far fewer buffering issues with SD video files, presumably only because it's a smaller-sized file to have to squeeze through the many bottlenecks between the host server and me. Plus, my couch is far enough away from the TV that I'm usually hard-pressed to discern any noticeable difference in quality.

Are you watching something that you're streaming from a local source, i.e. a computer in another room, or are you asking about streaming something remotely in Kodi/XBMC/SPMC? Because as a longtime fan of XBMC (from waaaay back on the original Xbox), I can tell you: sometimes it's just the source, man. A buncha bootlegs running off a buncha servers in China, yes, it's a wonderful thing, but about half the time, those sources have issues and there's just nothing you can do about it. Frustrating, I know, especially when you're all sat down and ready to watch something and it just won't play, and your wife just pats you condescendingly on the hand and says "It's okay, sweetie, you tried." :)

I picked up the GameStop "Red Samurai" Bluetooth controller I've seen people recommend, and so far I really like it, as far as controllers go: it's very, very comfortable in my hands (I have small hands, so take that into consideration), and button presses feel good, a bit mushier than a Dual Shock, more like a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive pad. Feels good with most retro games I've tried, though I can't really tell if it's suffering the same "Bluetooth slowdown" that the stock GameStick pad seems to cause. But my couch is too far from my tv, and my toddler would trip over a long cord, so it's Bluetooth or bust for me :p

Very basic Home screen navigation with it is functional, in that I can move in four directions, and click forward and back, but that's about it. And in half the emulators I've tried, Back button functionality just stops, making me get up and plug in a mouse again just to navigate menus. So I guess I still haven't found the perfect all-in-one control device, but for $8 I can't really complain.
PS3 controller and using the SixAxis app from google play works great. I just bought a wireless dongle for my wireless 360 controller and it works amazingly well.

If it helps: I tend to stick to SD video sources in Kodi/SPMC. Though the Gamestick is a damn sight better at decoding and playing HD video than other devices I've used to run XBMC/Kodi, I encounter far fewer buffering issues with SD video files, presumably only because it's a smaller-sized file to have to squeeze through the many bottlenecks between the host server and me. Plus, my couch is far enough away from the TV that I'm usually hard-pressed to discern any noticeable difference in quality.
I'm still willing to bet it's the sketchy wifi antenna on the GS. Once I plugged a wifi repeater into the wall where my tv was connected I've had almost no buffering, unless of course it was from a slow source but you will know that by it tries to buffer when you first start it.

In case anyone is wondering, I tried Kodi 14.1 yesterday and the screen cutoff issue seems to be fixed.

That's with Android set to 1080p and Kodi set to the default 720p.

I also tried a HD stream (same stream I used when testing SPMC and Kodi 14.0) and it started playing immediately.

Still gonna do some testing, but things are looking good for Kodi 14.1 :)

In case anyone is wondering, I tried Kodi 14.1 yesterday and the screen cutoff issue seems to be fixed.

I also tried a HD stream (same stream I used when testing SPMC and Kodi 14.0) and it started playing immediately.

Wired or wireless?

I'm still willing to bet it's the sketchy wifi antenna on the GS. Once I plugged a wifi repeater into the wall where my tv was connected I've had almost no buffering, unless of course it was from a slow source but you will know that by it tries to buffer when you first start it.
Just wondering what's your internet speed? Since my router is a few feet from the gamestick wifi runs good. I do only have a shitty 4mb connection though.

Btw genesis takes a while to update their shows list unlike primewire for me. Is there a way to manually refresh the recent episodes that come out that same day or is that normal genesis behavior since quality is much higher Than primewire. .

Yeap. I said this a few pages back when .1 first became available. Even if it said cache full it ran the hd stream.
Not only that but primewire works great on it w .1.

bread's done
Back