GameStop: $100 trade in credit on 3DS to upgrade to 3DS XL!

cigaro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Preliminary word from gamestop has just come in this morning to the systems, letting them know about this promotion.

CREDIT GOES TO StormKing3 on the IGN boards. Here is a quote from him:

"I wish I could tell you more, but that is all that is known on my end at this time. If you want to call your local GS, tell them to check their "go store" or "go system" if they are not yet aware of it. I asked this clerk to check even though she insisted there was nothing. Appatently it was added this morning without prior notice. This is breaking news ATM. Even for the employees."

It seems that many of the stores are nto aware of this yet, and it will be a couple days until it is officially advertised.

I have called my local stores and ask them to check, and they have confirmed they have received the info.

This is great news for those looking for upgrades! Call your stores and see what you can find out people :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesnt seem like gamestop is trying too hard to accommodate their customers right now..... I just want it to be sunday already

[quote name='cigaro']It doesnt seem like gamestop is trying too hard to accommodate their customers right now..... I just want it to be sunday already[/QUOTE]

i decided to go another way...

i have checks from my credit card company that give 0% for a year

i may just buy the system some place later (I still say meijers has a 20 off 100 sale labor day weekend)

I will leave all of my download games on my normal 3ds and probally be able to get 200 + out of the normal 3ds around the hoiildays

since

ONE its still under warranty till may 29 2013
and
it has around 50 download games that would cost the person around 200 to download
and
people will pay stupid prices around xmas LOL

if i cant sell it i will just use the OLD 3ds system as a Download system and just play the downloaded games on that unit (got it only 60 buck anyways)

[quote name='ZForce915']Why would demand for a system that everyone is selling go up?[/QUOTE]

Maybe he's expecting some winter boom, like the DS had in it's prime. Which, I wouldn't get my hopes up for, the handheld market in the US is really winding down at the moment.

Ah I love my best Buy managers.

They are going to match the gamestop deal by basically taking the amount off of the XL. So lets say my 3DS trades in for 60 at best buy, he is going to just price match the XL down 40 dollars effectively giving me the 100 that gamestop would have.

Also they are going to let me do the system transfer in store.

This is why I love best buy. They take care of me better than any store I shop at. (its probably why i have silver status through feb 2014 too) :hot:

[quote name='Vigilante']This is an interesting idea...

I have ~$300 in GS credit, so I could conceivably buy the (most likely red) XL for full price (at a GS where I wouldn't pay tax on that $200 ;)), do the system transfer myself at home, and sell my black 3DS later in the year for $125-$150 on Amazon when the demand is greater.

What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

You'll have to pay shipping and Amazon fees out of that $125 - $150. If it sold for $125 you'd be walking away with about $110. At $150 I'd say you're getting about $130. Those are based n the "hope" of there being a high demand for a system that has multiple colors and multiple hardware designs.

Personally I'd take the $100 GameStop is offering and be done with it.

I Have a question to ask okk so I have two 3ds and I just did the system transfer today on my bros 3ds and I going to trade in mine for the xl on Sunday but it says that I can't do a other transfer until 7 days. Is there a way to bypass that or do I have to suck it up and wait??? And will I be able to transfer again on a other system??

[quote name='dgwillia006']The amount of YMMV on that has to probably be further than the distance to the moon[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah definitely. But the managers know how much money i spend there (im seriously in best buy at least twice a week), so they try to help me out as much as they can

[quote name='hruben42']I Have a question to ask okk so I have two 3ds and I just did the system transfer today on my bros 3ds and I going to trade in mine for the xl on Sunday but it says that I can't do a other transfer until 7 days. Is there a way to bypass that or do I have to suck it up and wait??? And will I be able to transfer again on a other system??[/QUOTE]

I'm almost positive that you'll have to suck it up and wait. Although you could try messing with the clock on your 3DS, but I don't know if that would work or not. Luckily you did the system transfer now so you'll still be able to get in on the trade-in deal without losing your stuff.

Does anyone know typically how long they keep these deals going? I'd like to wait until an all-black or all-white version comes out to upgrade, or even a special edition one like the Zelda 3DS last year.

[quote name='fullcourt']Does anyone know typically how long they keep these deals going? I'd like to wait until an all-black or all-white version comes out to upgrade, or even a special edition one like the Zelda 3DS last year.[/QUOTE]

100 off the system will be for the week of the 21th

they had one back in i think May where they was giving a pure 100 credit off (no need to buy anything)

then the system fell to 45 to 55 from may till now

EDIT: I may hit up best buy tomorrow for the 100% trade in... I think i found 20 DS games lying around i no longer play or want that fetch 4 to 5 each before trade in (says lego batman and lego battles both 5 each (10)

if i can get at least 8 each out of 20 games =160 that would almost pay for the system so maybe i will be getting a system tomorrow after all (fingers crossed prices do not crash and the online prices are the same as instore)

[quote name='Makoclouds']It's japan only as of now but it's a start. Hopefully it makes its' way over here but knowing NOA I doubt it.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/08/yellow_pikachu_nintendo_3ds_xl_coming_to_japan[/QUOTE]

:lol: Looks like Pikachu has nipples. Reminds me of this:

qVazc.jpg

Wouldn't look too bad if it didn't have the whole cameras as nipples thing and the white spine... why would you do that? Just make the whole thing yellow.

So tempted to buy one of these. Which doesn't really make sense, because I'm just as tempted to sell all of my 3DS stuff. What's wrong with me?

[quote name='biggie2123']Would Gamestop accept a 3DS or a DS XL without a stylus?[/QUOTE]

Yes but you'll likely have to buy a stylus pack unless they have extras laying around you can sweet talk them into using.

Gamestop is really annoying me. I ask them if I can transfer my games and they act like they have no idea what I am talking about. They also said I needed to contact nintendo and said if I unlinked my current 3ds and then traded it and linked my new 3ds to my club nintendo all my stuff would be there.....

Also remember that youll have to trade in your charger, which the new version does not come with one. So take another $10 off your trade in. I also highly doubt they would give you a stylus for free if you were missing yours. This is gamestop we're talking about. Any chance they get to nickel and dime their customers they take.

The big problem with selling a used 3ds on Amazon is that Amazon takes a pretty big cut. If you list your 3ds at $115, Amazon takes $11.54, netting you $103.46. And that assumes you can ship your 3ds for the $3.99 credit they give you.

My local gamestop is a little clueless on the trade in issue, but I'm going to try to go that route. Seems like the least hassle.

[quote name='PDJ']Also remember that youll have to trade in your charger, which the new version does not come with one. So take another $10 off your trade in. I also highly doubt they would give you a stylus for free if you were missing yours. This is gamestop we're talking about. Any chance they get to nickel and dime their customers they take.[/QUOTE]

The US version certainly does come with a charger.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yes but you'll likely have to buy a stylus pack unless they have extras laying around you can sweet talk them into using.[/QUOTE]

I tried to trade in my 3ds without a stylus or charger the other day.

They offered to take $10 off my trade to cover the charger, but said they couldn't do the same for the stylus.

Doesn't make any sense, but this is Gamestop were talking about here.. they hire idiots without hesitance.

[quote name='steve_dave']The US version certainly does come with a charger.[/QUOTE]

Whoops my bad. Thought I remember them saying it doesn't come with a charger. Guess it just doesn't come with the charging cradle.

[quote name='PDJ']Whoops my bad. Thought I remember them saying it doesn't come with a charger. Guess it just doesn't come with the charging cradle.[/QUOTE]

It didn't come with one in Japan, the US media went crazy at Nintendo, and NoA decided to keep the charger in the US.

Since I haven't downloaded anything off e-shop. I don't have to do a system transfer right?

If I bite on this I want to keep my memory card with my saves.

I just stopped in my local GS and they said I get $100 for my 3DS and $60 for my DSi XL. The problem is they said that I may only have the option to trade one or the other and I'll have to wait until tomorrow when they see if both will ring up for those trade prices in the system together. Does anyone know how this works?

[quote name='breakingcustoms']i asked this earlier in the thread and didn't get an answer...do they require the memory card for the trade in?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Tygamr']Does Gamestop expect you to trade in your 3DS with the SD card? Or can you keep it?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they don't require you to trade in the SD card along with the system, stylus, and charger. It would be strange if they did so for the 3DS considering they don't require you to include the HDD of an Xbox 360 if you trade that in, the memory stick from your PSP if you trade that in, etc.

[quote name='AutoPilotOff']Gamestop is really annoying me. I ask them if I can transfer my games and they act like they have no idea what I am talking about. They also said I needed to contact nintendo and said if I unlinked my current 3ds and then traded it and linked my new 3ds to my club nintendo all my stuff would be there.....[/QUOTE]

With the 360 Slim came out they would actually let you either borrow/rent out a transfer cable and keep your HDD for an extra day or whatever to transfer your stuff over. I don't remember the specifics, just that they worked with people.

If they were smart they'd do something similar with this. Of course since these are portable systems they could just let people open up their new system right there, plug it in, and transfer everything over.

So I have ambassador status but have barely downloaded any of the games.... they are all listed in my downloads though and available for "redownload".

if I do a system transfer, I will still be able to select the redownload option onto the XL right?

I plan on doing the transfer and just downloading the ambassador games after so there is less to transfer when i do it, and it goes quicker. Or do I need to download them on my original 3DS and transfer them?

I really want to upgrade to the XL, but it would cost me KI:U and MK7, but the bigger screen, and form factor would also compel me to want to play KH3D for more than the hour I have played it this past month.

[quote name='iiSaviour']I really want to upgrade to the XL, but it would cost me KI:U and MK7, but the bigger screen, and form factor would also compel me to want to play KH3D for more than the hour I have played it this past month.[/QUOTE]

Dude I feel the same about KH. I am a huge KH fan, and this one has disappointed me big time.

I dont know what it is, but I have played it for like max 2 hours since release. I hope the bigger screen will make me more inclined to play, although I think it is one of the most boring KH I have played .

[quote name='cigaro']Dude I feel the same about KH. I am a huge KH fan, and this one has disappointed me big time.

I dont know what it is, but I have played it for like max 2 hours since release. I hope the bigger screen will make me more inclined to play, although I think it is one of the most boring KH I have played .[/QUOTE]

For me it is the screen and the controls (even with CPP) that kill it for me. I just can't do it. I am hoping the XL fixes this. I've heard from quite a few people it is an entirely different game on the XL.

Ditto here. KH... I just can't keep playing. Don't know what it is. Hoping the XL reinvigorates it.

Mostly I wanna play Zelda and Link 2 on an XL.

Called GameStop, said I can do a system transfer in store, and they don't accept the charging cradles as a trade in.

[quote name='cigaro']So I have ambassador status but have barely downloaded any of the games.... they are all listed in my downloads though and available for "redownload".

if I do a system transfer, I will still be able to select the redownload option onto the XL right?

I plan on doing the transfer and just downloading the ambassador games after so there is less to transfer when i do it, and it goes quicker. Or do I need to download them on my original 3DS and transfer them?[/QUOTE]

I just wanna quot this to try and get an answer about it

Anyone know if any retailers are selling Screen Protectors for it? I know Amazon is, but i dont want to have to wait a week after getting the system.....

[quote name='biggie2123']Would Gamestop accept a 3DS or a DS XL without a stylus?[/QUOTE]

A little late, but Best Buy has these for 99 cents as part of their Blowout Sale:

3DS Clean and Protect Kit (SKU# 2126056)
DSi XL Clean and Protect Kit (SKU# 1151594)

Both of those kits come with styluses

[quote name='dgwillia006']Anyone know if any retailers are selling Screen Protectors for it? I know Amazon is, but i dont want to have to wait a week after getting the system.....[/QUOTE]

Just check Gamestop release day, they are usually good for selling them the day the system comes out. You might not be able to get the Hori one though.

[quote name='cigaro']I just wanna quot this to try and get an answer about it[/QUOTE]
You're correct, it will transfer your account.

If someone doesn't mind, I have a couple of quick questions about the 3DS, as I am thinking of getting it, mainly to play 5 games: New Super Mario Bros (DS), NSMB 2, Mario 3D Land, Mario 64 DS, and Yoshis Island(DS). Maybe some other ones Like ocarina of time and a few more, but mainly those 5.

1. Is it BC? Obviously as 3 of the games I want to play are DS games, this is a biggie.

2. Can you turn of the 3D feature? I have a small ocular condition and as a result 3D doesn't work on me. I just see 2 pictures with messed up colors and everything. So can you fully turn off the 3D?

[quote name='Hyperfludd']You're correct, it will transfer your account.[/QUOTE]

Okay so I will hold off on downloading any ambassador games then, it will make the transfer go way quicker.

[quote name='JP73']If someone doesn't mind, I have a couple of quick questions about the 3DS, as I am thinking of getting it, mainly to play 5 games: New Super Mario Bros (DS), NSMB 2, Mario 3D Land, Mario 64 DS, and Yoshis Island(DS). Maybe some other ones Like ocarina of time and a few more, but mainly those 5.

1. Is it BC? Obviously as 3 of the games I want to play are DS games, this is a biggie.

2. Can you turn of the 3D feature? I have a small ocular condition and as a result 3D doesn't work on me. I just see 2 pictures with messed up colors and everything. So can you fully turn off the 3D?[/QUOTE]

1. yes it is backwards compatible. And you can play it fullscreen or at a smaller native screen resolution.

2. Yes the 3D can be turned off completely.

[quote name='Xtrminatr']Just check Gamestop release day, they are usually good for selling them the day the system comes out. You might not be able to get the Hori one though.[/QUOTE]

I thought they might. Just seems weird no one has them listed on their sites yet (Or any accessories outside of one or two cases).

Only ones i see so far are on Amazon or Ebay, and i want to have those things on my screen right after i check for any issues.

bread's done
Back