GameStop Ad 01/02-01/08 50% Off Strategy Guides, Skylanders Deals, Price Drops, more

klimb22

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
GameStop Ad 01/02-01/08: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/weeklyad/current/010213/pdf/olfsi_010213.pdf

I know this is usually litepink's thing (props), but I'm not about type out the whole ad when the .pdf is readily available. I wikified the thread if litepink or others would like to add other items of special interest.

Don't mind if I do :) -lp

:360: :ps3: :wii:
Wii_U_platform_icon.png
:3ds: Skylanders Giants Starter Pack $64.99
icongs_r1.gif
Skylander Giants Exclusive 3-Pack $24.99 (releases 01/11/13)

-Bobblehead Stylus $4.99
-Adventure Case $19.99
-Zip Case $9.99
-Battle Arena $29.99

:360::ps3: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion GOTY $19.99

:wii::3ds: Wreck-it Ralph $19.99

:360::ps3: Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013 $69.99 :wii: $49.99

:360::ps3: Legends of War Patton $39.99

:pc: World of Warcraft Battlechest $4.99

:360::ps3: Angry Birds Trilogy $29.99

:360::ps3: 007 Legends $49.99

:360::ps3: Family Guy Back to the Multiverse $49.99

:360::ps3: NASCAR Inside Line $49.99

:360::ps3: WWE 13 $29.99

icongs_r1.gif
50% off all strategy guides

[quote name='MSUHitman']Oblivion is REALLY clunky compared to F3 & Skyrim. Still fun though.[/QUOTE]

Skyrim's interface is better, but I liked Oblivion's story 10x as much. Skyrim's main story sucked. I gave Skyrim a good once through, level everything up to 100, did my thing in it, but that was it. Maybe I'll pick it up in a couple years again when the GOTY version is $20. Oblivion I still go back to.

Went to a local Gamestop to get the Kingdoms of Amalur guide and was told it was pennied out today anyone have confirmation?

I might go ahead and get the pokemon black and white 2 collectors edition guide. I got it for the first black and white and even tho I haven't put much time into 2nd one for some reason I'd like to get the guide for it.

[quote name='MrBonk']I'm sorry, Pennied?[/QUOTE]

as in the price dropped to 1 cent (a penny) for them to clear out stock. They will either do this or throw them out.

[quote name='whoknows']Anyone know if the price of guides on gamestop.com is the same as in store?

Mainly looking at the XIII-2 CE guide.[/QUOTE]

It's $25 in store so it should be $13 after discount.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Skyrim's interface is better, but I liked Oblivion's story 10x as much. Skyrim's main story sucked. I gave Skyrim a good once through, level everything up to 100, did my thing in it, but that was it. Maybe I'll pick it up in a couple years again when the GOTY version is $20. Oblivion I still go back to.[/QUOTE]

Agree, Oblivion was a much better game than Skyrim. Skyrim's story is nonexistent and the game is just bland/boring imo. I'm actually playing Two Worlds II right now and enjoying it far more than Skyrim.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']Ive never seen a videogame guide for a penny at GS. Are you guys getting lucky or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

Where I work when something rings up for a penny that means that we are suppose to destroy the product then throw it away. I don't work for GS so I don't know if they have that policy.

Does GameStop have a price guarantee? I'd like to get a partial refund on my kid's sky lander set that I bought a few weeks ago, if so.

Gamestop never fails to unimpress.

I love how there is a full page of Skylanders yet none of the actual figures are on sale.

And e-guides for $9.99??!?!?

How much were they before?
People pay more then $10 for a digital guide?

Gamestop's prices in general are just flat out uncompetitive and don't even bother trying to get something used online. Chances are it won't be complete

[quote name='MrBonk']Gamestop's prices in general are just flat out uncompetitive and don't even bother trying to get something used online. Chances are it won't be complete[/QUOTE]
Hell it might not even work. I got Dragon's Dogma used recently from GS.com because of CAG16, and it kept freezing at the start. Had to return it to a store.

I went into my local GS to see what guides they had. They keep them all in the back room, so the woman printed a list of what they had in stock. :roll:

[quote name='gravel']I went into my local GS to see what guides they had. They keep them all in the back room, so the woman printed a list of what they had in stock. :roll:[/QUOTE]
Wow, every GS I been to have them on one of those rotating racks. Plus a few right on or on a rack on the bottom of the counter.

[quote name='gravel']I went into my local GS to see what guides they had. They keep them all in the back room, so the woman printed a list of what they had in stock. :roll:[/QUOTE]Were you able to check if they were half off? For some reason, the discount isn't online yet (and I don't see "in-store only" in the ad for that promotion).

Went to the local Gamestop around 10 o'clock this morning. Paper Mario: Sticker Star Official Strategy Guide rang up for $8.99 after discounts. My total was $9.87 with tax. If you add a guide to your cart, it will say 50% OFF STATEGY GUIDES - 50% off Select Strategy Guides. Some exlcusions may apply. Expires 1/15/2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sale should be working now. If you can find a Soul Calibur 5 guide, it should be $2.50 (which is insane for a hardcover 500 page guide) Discount Card will give you an extra 10% off the sale price if you have one.

[quote name='gravel']I went into my local GS to see what guides they had. They keep them all in the back room, so the woman printed a list of what they had in stock. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Went to one GS at lunch and they only had a handfull out on display and the non-wrapped ones were a mess. So like the guy above, the rep printed me a copy of the list of in stock guides. Picked up RE6 standard ($4.49) and ME3 ($6.75). Not bad.

[quote name='bob330i']Went to one GS at lunch and they only had a handfull out on display and the non-wrapped ones were a mess. So like the guy above, the rep printed me a copy of the list of in stock guides. Picked up RE6 standard ($4.49) and ME3 ($6.75). Not bad.[/QUOTE]

Interesting choices. I bought those two exact same guides. :applause:

:bomb: I apparently threw out the receipt for the RE6 guide I bought at $9.99 a month or so ago, so that's $5.50 I won't be getting back. :wall:

Had the same issue. I know they're trying to deter penny guide pick-ups, but how do they expect to move any of this merchandise if it's not on the floor?
He even went through the trouble of telling me: 'Anything that's a penny, we don't have'. Yeah, right...got you.

Would anybody who knows anything about this nonsense care to chime in?

Anybody have an opinion on that $19.99 Skylanders case? It seems like that the case it holds the most guys but is a case really necessary? Cant you get away with a smaller Rubbermaid type tub or something like that.

[quote name='Vigilante']:bomb: I apparently threw out the receipt for the RE6 guide I bought at $9.99 a month or so ago, so that's $5.50 I won't be getting back. :wall:[/QUOTE]

Did you buy it using your PUR account? If so, they can look it up.

[quote name='bob330i']Did you buy it using your PUR account? If so, they can look it up.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I did; I guess I'll look back through GS's weekly ads until I find when they had that guide "on sale" and hope that's enough info to look up the transaction. Thanks. :)

EDIT: Found it--the weekly ad for 11/28-12/4 had it at $9.99.

[quote name='ajh2298']Anybody have an opinion on that $19.99 Skylanders case? It seems like that the case it holds the most guys but is a case really necessary? Cant you get away with a smaller Rubbermaid type tub or something like that.[/QUOTE]
Yes, don't buy the overpriced cases. My son keeps all of his in a small fishing bag I wasn't using. There are better options out there through. I can't remember off hand what people use though

I'm glad I had forgotten that a local GS had the Dark Souls guide in stock. I just picked it up for $2.49.

I went to see if I can pick up a Kingdom Hearts 3DS guide. Guy said he didn't have any even though he kept referring to the game as something else (kept saying Dreamcast oddly enough). He was totally out of it though. He must of been really tired from the way he was moving around and yawning. I have no time to check other stores so I'm trying Online pick up. I do feel they have the guide.

Well I got lucky. I stopped at the GS I go to the most and they had 3 huge stacks of guides from making a walkway over the Holiday shopping time. I find 4 copies of KoA:Reckoning. One is open a beat up but the other three were sealed and in great condition. I take 2 up front and I ask him to price them. Sure enough they were $0.01 but he says they are not allowed to sell them. He asks the manager what to do and the guy says they are not allowed to sell them (I guess they are to be returned or destroyed?) but he tells the other guy to put both in a trash bag and leave it on the floor for me. He said I am in all the time so he was cool with me taking them.

Also got Borderlands 2 LE for $15.75.

[quote name='dragonjud']Had the same issue. I know they're trying to deter penny guide pick-ups, but how do they expect to move any of this merchandise if it's not on the floor?
He even went through the trouble of telling me: 'Anything that's a penny, we don't have'. Yeah, right...got you.

Would anybody who knows anything about this nonsense care to chime in?[/QUOTE]

He isn't trying to cheat you. Merchandise that doesn't sell is "pennied out" in the system: inventory drops the item's price to a penny, which is a way of telling whether or not a certain product has been discontinued. Gamestop has an agreement with most publishers that dictates they'll get a credit for destroying those items.

You know how books have a message on one of the first couple of pages about it being stolen if it has a torn cover? A book is stripped in order to mark it as unsellable. That's what penny guides are, essentially: everything that's "pennied out" is reported as "unsold and destroyed," so Gamestop has to throw it out to keep up its end of the bargain.

Grabbed a MP3, ME3 and RE6 guide for about $16.xx. Not bad considering I never have any luck when guides are pennied in my area.

Thanks OP; used a $10 off PUR coupon and got AC3, Borderlands 2, and Soul Calibur 5 guides for about $32 out of pocket. All hardbound CE guides as well (the only kinds I like).

[quote name='coopscohen']Grabbed a MP3, ME3 and RE6 guide for about $16.xx. Not bad considering I never have any luck when guides are pennied in my area.[/QUOTE]

Are the guides actually more than 50% off? I thought those three were all $20 MSRP (i.e. $10 each at 50% off)?

[quote name='knight19']Are the guides actually more than 50% off? I thought those three were all $20 MSRP (i.e. $10 each at 50% off)?[/QUOTE]

GS is selling them right now below MSRP. Before discount:

MP3 $9.99
RE6 $9.99
ME3 $14.99

And you get an extra 10% off the price after the 50% discount if you have a PUR card.

[quote name='coopscohen']GS is selling them right now below MSRP. Before discount:

MP3 $9.99
RE6 $9.99
ME3 $14.99

And you get an extra 10% off the price after the 50% discount if you have a PUR card.[/QUOTE]

Ok - thanks for the clarification! :)

[quote name='Ceol_CAG']He isn't trying to cheat you. Merchandise that doesn't sell is "pennied out" in the system: inventory drops the item's price to a penny, which is a way of telling whether or not a certain product has been discontinued. Gamestop has an agreement with most publishers that dictates they'll get a credit for destroying those items.

You know how books have a message on one of the first couple of pages about it being stolen if it has a torn cover? A book is stripped in order to mark it as unsellable. That's what penny guides are, essentially: everything that's "pennied out" is reported as "unsold and destroyed," so Gamestop has to throw it out to keep up its end of the bargain.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Been doing penny guides for quite a while now, so didn't need the whole explanation. My point was that it's useless for GS to keep guides in the back. You may detract penny transactions, but you will not sell any at retail price either.

Most stores have them on the floor (as it should be), but a few keep 'all' of them in the back room.

You can also tell me that all GS destroy all penny guides the minute they're pennied, but I also know that's not true. It all depends on the employees, and given how shady they can be (at times), I know there're many back rooms full of them.

bread's done
Back