GameStop is a joke...

These places really do suck... they offer you 25 bucks when the game came out a week ago, and that used copy will either be priced at the same price as the new game, or for 5 bucks less.... it's a total sham.

Someone needs to start a game trading company where you have a base price, and then get extra based on the condition of your trade-in.

So;

AoT: $25 base + $1 for the DVD case + $4 for the game manual.

Yeah, it may only be an extra $5 but the point is that we should be getting more if our games are in better condition.

[quote name='SynGamer']Someone needs to start a game trading company where you have a base price, and then get extra based on the condition of your trade-in.

So;

AoT: $25 base + $1 for the DVD case + $4 for the game manual.

Yeah, it may only be an extra $5 but the point is that we should be getting more if our games are in better condition.[/quote]

That would work, figured it would have least traded in for $30

The most they ever give on anything is 30 dollars from what I hear.

Just sell it on ebay/amazon/here. You'll feel better about yourself in the end.

I've just stopped going to gamestop. I don't enter their store for any reason.

Well, how else are they suppose to earn money? They are a business afterall........ do you expect them to give you $40 for it and then sell it for $45 for a net profit of $5?

$5 doesn't go a long way in paying for salaries, lease, business expenses...... Obviously you have no clue in how business is run

$33 at GameCrazy w/ MVP.

I've just stopped going to gamestop. I don't enter their store for any reason.

Same. The last time I entered was.. hmm.. let me think.. well, I tracked down a copy of NHL 2001, one of my favorite hockey games, for a dollar last year.. other than that.. last summer for a 2GB memory stick.

[quote name='Kendal']Throw that bad lad on Half.com.[/quote]

Agreed. Their cut isn't small potatoes, but you'll likely get at least $40-45 for it.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Well, how else are they suppose to earn money? They are a business afterall........ do you expect them to give you $40 for it and then sell it for $45 for a net profit of $5?

$5 doesn't go a long way in paying for salaries, lease, business expenses...... Obviously you have no clue in how business is run[/quote]

Uh oh, a Gamestop advocate. You point makes sense, but you forgot that people here aren't really too interested in hearing about Gamestop's business practices ;).

Edit: Sorry for the double post ...

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Well, how else are they suppose to earn money? They are a business afterall........ do you expect them to give you $40 for it and then sell it for $45 for a net profit of $5?

$5 doesn't go a long way in paying for salaries, lease, business expenses...... Obviously you have no clue in how business is run[/QUOTE]

Well the thing is they give you $25 and sell it for $55 so they're gaining $30. I'm sure they could stand to give a bit more.

That's why I don't like trading my games to gamestop. Try to find an alternative game store to trade it in, if you don't like what they are offering you then your best bet is selling the game on ebay.

I know plenty of other stores around town that would happily give him atleast $40 for his game (though they will sell it for 50-55 sure).

Gamestop doesnt need to be the empire they are, but they are.

Let me put it to you this way.

You give Gamestop your games, your making it possible for them to receive a huge financial gain from you game when they resell it. They turn around and use those millions of dollars they sucker off of you and buy out our beloved stores.

Babbages.
FuncoLand
EB Games
Rhino
and many more stores have ceased to exsist EXCLUSIVELY DUE TO YOUR SUPPORT OF THEIR STORE.

Think about that the next time you want to return a game to them, or the next time you want to buy a game from them. Dont. Buy a used game off of eBay/Amazon/Forums/Mom n Pops shops/and many more (but not for long!) stores.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']CAG Trading board FTW[/quote]

I'll trade you Kameo and Perfect Dark for your INSERT NEW RELEASE HERE? :D

But in all honesty, it's good to try to trade on the trading board just because you'll get something you want instead of trade-in credit at Gamestop, which won't even get you half a game most of the time.

$5 doesn't go a long way in paying for salaries, lease, business expenses...... Obviously you have no clue in how business is run[/quote]

I do thankfully and when i see a game trade for $25 and then marked up to $54.99, then i get pissed. Not only that, i keep my games in great condition so when i get $25 yet the person next to me is missing the case and manual and the disc is scratched, yet they get the same trade-in value...it pisses me even more.

I walked in yesterday and found a Gamestop employee destroying old PSone systems (at least 4) and PS games with a hammer. He was literally making sure the PSones would not work anymore by taking a hammer to the laser lenses and PS games. Very strange.

[quote name='RudyPants']Agreed. Their cut isn't small potatoes, but you'll likely get at least $40-45 for it.[/quote]

I put God of War:CoO for $33 and got $31 after their cut. So $28ish after shipping. Not bad when I paid $6 out of pocket originally.

[quote name='OGHowie']I walked in yesterday and found a Gamestop employee destroying old PSone systems (at least 4) and PS games with a hammer. He was literally making sure the PSones would not work anymore by taking a hammer to the laser lenses and PS games. Very strange.[/quote]

A lot of places do that when they have goods that needs to be destroyed.

When I say destroyed, I literally mean it.

It's an LP issue because they don't want people digging through the trash to get perfectly good product.

The only time I'll trade to GameStop is if they've got a good trade bonus (read = 20%+) coupon going on AND if there's something in particular I want on sale. Otherwise, Blockbuster or GameCrazy are much better deals.

[quote name='monkeydeew']gamestop isnt a joke, YOU are if you trade it in for 25 store credit[/QUOTE]

QFT. I could never understand why people would want to trade their stuff in at Gamestop. You could list it on Ebay with a $40-$45 BIN and it'd sell in less than 5 min EASILY.

Even if you didn't have a Ebay account, just put it up on Craig's and watch it sell just as fast.

As someone else said, this is old news. GameStop always gives bad credit for games. This is life. Their big profits come from buying used games cheap and selling them for a lot more. Like others, I only trade there when there is a good deal, like bonus % or something.

Definitely use our trading forum here or goozex for old games. I guess a third alternative would be secondspin.com though NO ONE who deals cash for games will give you anything even close to what it's worth.

I traded in a couple old games that I couldn't trade anywhere else today (GRAW2/R6 Vegas) while they still had the 2 games for an extra 10$. Total came to 30.90 for the 2 with edge. Not bad but not great.

But what suprised me was they are already pushin preorders for Gears 2 and Fable 2.

[quote name='OGHowie']I walked in yesterday and found a Gamestop employee destroying old PSone systems (at least 4) and PS games with a hammer. He was literally making sure the PSones would not work anymore by taking a hammer to the laser lenses and PS games. Very strange.[/quote]

I remember the day when we had to defect like six Donkey Konga bongo sets.. THAT was a fun day.

$5 doesn't go a long way in paying for salaries, lease, business expenses...... Obviously you have no clue in how business is run[/quote]But they offer 25$ at the most and resell it for $54.99.......Also, condition of the game does not seem to matter.

But they offer 25$ at the most and resell it for $54.99
That is what professional resellers do. They buy low and sell high. They are offering you the convenience of being to dump your games right now, without having to wait for someone to buy them online or something. Also, $25 is not the most they offer. Plenty of games have $30 values right, even SMG, which only sells for $45 used.

[quote name='RyogAkari']I know plenty of other stores around town that would happily give him atleast $40 for his game (though they will sell it for 50-55 sure).

Gamestop doesnt need to be the empire they are, but they are.

Let me put it to you this way.

You give Gamestop your games, your making it possible for them to receive a huge financial gain from you game when they resell it. They turn around and use those millions of dollars they sucker off of you and buy out our beloved stores.

Babbages.
FuncoLand
EB Games
Rhino
and many more stores have ceased to exsist EXCLUSIVELY DUE TO YOUR SUPPORT OF THEIR STORE.

Think about that the next time you want to return a game to them, or the next time you want to buy a game from them. Dont. Buy a used game off of eBay/Amazon/Forums/Mom n Pops shops/and many more (but not for long!) stores.[/quote]

Funcoland? Who loved that overpriced store? We had one here and their prices were just as bad as the Gamestop that's sitting there now.

No love lost for them by me. Babbages was the same way.

$5 doesn't go a long way in paying for salaries, lease, business expenses...... Obviously you have no clue in how business is run[/QUOTE]

Obviously you have no idea what a normal profit margin is on a transaction that occurs thousands of times a day across the country. A $5 profit seems reasonable to an individual, because small transactions for an individual aren't worth the effort, but a large, large company receiving $5 for what is basically absolutely nothing more than a middleman fee (you could just as easily sell for that price directly to another buyer), is ridiculous. If you accept the "value" of $25 that's given to you, $5 is a 20% fee for doing nothing more than holding it until someone else comes along. Certainly, profit is required for any business, but at what point is the profit costing so much more than the value of the service they actually provide that you need to lube up?

EDIT: As another point of observation, consider that the profit they make comes out of both ends of the transaction, the sale and the purchase, so the net benefit is entirely to the company, and as a former employee, I can tell you with certainty that profit does NOT go in any way to benefit the employees or even store operations themselves. Until the buyout, Gamestop would not upgrade to EB Games' computerized system of managing credit and reservations because it is far, far easier to make mistakes in favor of the company when the only record of your transaction is stored in some unseen vault at "corporate" on a piece of register tape.

[quote name='Rollett'][/QUOTE]

Erased, but I'll answer your charge anyway.

That is NOT happening out of the goodness of Gamestop's heart; they know that when the new Madden launches in July or August, it's just as good as any other new release until the following year approaches. Sure, demand drops off as time goes on and Live hits in the winter, but you'll see that any game's prices change based on the demand. (the very day the next Madden comes out, the trade in value for the old one is $1-$3). Sure, at the front end, they may overpay, and lose something on the transaction, but that price will not drop until they recoup a certain amount of profit at price X, and they know they can afford to wait it out. Gamestop employs very, very skilled people to manage prices. They do not lose nearly as much taking in a flop title early at a higher price than they make inflating values on all titles across the board. Alternatively, think of it like this:

Gamestop takes in a game the day after it came out, let's call it "Game X". Game X will either be a flop, or a success.

Let's say they give you $30 on an expected sales for 2 months at $40; just for sake of argument.

If the game is a success, they will make the $10 profit on that title for two months.

If it is not, it will sit at that price for a month or so, and if sales are under a certain number of units out per units in, they will cut the trade-in value, and possibly cut the used price to $35, which will usually sell out the early trade-ins, and still net a $5 profit. They'll shift copies to markets that sell more to help ensure this. Also note that that $10 profit is a LOW margin for Gamestop; they drop used prices usually in $5 increments, and at a $15 discrepancy, that's 6 months to a year of occasional drops on many titles. Trust me, they do NOTHING out of altruistic motivations.

EDIT: Also note I mention Madden not because I have any love of sports games; I loathe them, but because you mentioned sports titles, and from Gamestop's perspective, Madden is the annual golden goose.

Never said it was out of the goodness of anyones heart.. but from a buisness standpoint it makes sense... not exactly a good deal on our end no... and not saying it is.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']You know who really steals your money.... Starbucks!

$5 for a cup of coffee FTW!!![/quote]

I can swallow that

Gamestop on the other hand, When I walk in with a game to trade in, when they tell me the value, it feels like I just got bitch slapped, Donkey punched, and still have to deep throat the Pre Orders that they shove down my throat till no end.

[quote name='Cuzza40']Erased, but I'll answer your charge anyway.

That is NOT happening out of the goodness of Gamestop's heart; they know that when the new Madden launches in July or August, it's just as good as any other new release until the following year approaches. Sure, demand drops off as time goes on and Live hits in the winter, but you'll see that any game's prices change based on the demand. (the very day the next Madden comes out, the trade in value for the old one is $1-$3). Sure, at the front end, they may overpay, and lose something on the transaction, but that price will not drop until they recoup a certain amount of profit at price X, and they know they can afford to wait it out. Gamestop employs very, very skilled people to manage prices. They do not lose nearly as much taking in a flop title early at a higher price than they make inflating values on all titles across the board. Alternatively, think of it like this:

Gamestop takes in a game the day after it came out, let's call it "Game X". Game X will either be a flop, or a success.

Let's say they give you $30 on an expected sales for 2 months at $40; just for sake of argument.

If the game is a success, they will make the $10 profit on that title for two months.

If it is not, it will sit at that price for a month or so, and if sales are under a certain number of units out per units in, they will cut the trade-in value, and possibly cut the used price to $35, which will usually sell out the early trade-ins, and still net a $5 profit. They'll shift copies to markets that sell more to help ensure this. Also note that that $10 profit is a LOW margin for Gamestop; they drop used prices usually in $5 increments, and at a $15 discrepancy, that's 6 months to a year of occasional drops on many titles. Trust me, they do NOTHING out of altruistic motivations.

EDIT: Also note I mention Madden not because I have any love of sports games; I loathe them, but because you mentioned sports titles, and from Gamestop's perspective, Madden is the annual golden goose.[/QUOTE]

man, you must like to hear yourself talk......especially about things you have no idea about...... get your facts straight before you open your mouth

[quote name='Rollett']Never said it was out of the goodness of anyones heart.. but from a buisness standpoint it makes sense... not exactly a good deal on our end no... and not saying it is.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm saying; it IS a good deal on your end. As an employee, it's human nature to see and note the glaringly obvious titles that have bombed and the company is losing money on, but what you don't see is that every single other title is netting them a HUGE profit. Think about it; for every game you know is a dog, sells legendarily poorly, and sits there, there are 30 more that are doing extremely well. And when a game reaches the low end, that's when the REAL profit comes in; take in a game at $1 under the pretense that nobody wants it, then sell it at $8 to someone who says, "Wow! Great deal!" (And this happens EVERY year for EVERY sports title), for 7X what they paid for it. Now repeat that nationwide thousands of times a day. Everything they do at Gamestop makes good business sense.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']man, you must like to hear yourself talk......especially about things you have no idea about...... get your facts straight before you open your mouth[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for proof. A personal attack is not an argument.

[quote name='Poor2More']I can swallow that

Gamestop on the other hand, When I walk in with a game to trade in, when they tell me the value, it feels like I just got bitch slapped, Donkey punched, and still have to deep throat the Pre Orders that they shove down my throat till no end.[/QUOTE]

The preorders are at least a good deal for you; while Gamestop is banking on the money during the time they possess it from when you do the preorder, the amount of interest you as an individual are likely to get on that interim is negligible, so it's a small price to pay to be able to guarantee a copy; Gamestop has lots of ways of making a profit, but as far as preorders go, you get a decidedly good deal out of it as well, so yes, while the nagging is a pain, the service that's provided on that is really not a bad value, especially on hardware/software package bundles like Guitar Hero, so that's not a service they should be discouraged from providing. In fact, I'd argue preorders, when they are filled, is Gamestop's single most valuable service.

[quote name='Cuzza40']The preorders are at least a good deal for you; while Gamestop is banking on the money during the time they possess it from when you do the preorder, the amount of interest you as an individual are likely to get on that interim is negligible, so it's a small price to pay to be able to guarantee a copy; Gamestop has lots of ways of making a profit, but as far as preorders go, you get a decidedly good deal out of it as well, so yes, while the nagging is a pain, the service that's provided on that is really not a bad value, especially on hardware/software package bundles like Guitar Hero, so that's not a service they should be discouraged from providing. In fact, I'd argue preorders, when they are filled, is Gamestop's single most valuable service.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you didn't even make a point in this posting...... you just said a whole lot of nothing

[quote name='Poor2More']Army of Two (360) only $25 trade in value, just came out a week ago lol[/quote]

If you sell it to a Transworld Entertainment store(FYE, Sam Goody, Coconuts, etc), you can get a base value of $26.50 for it(which may fluctuate, depending on how many they have in stock).

SecondSpin's trade value link: http://www.secondspin.com/search.jsp?page=1&type=games.title.sell&query=army+of+two

And right now, there's a deal going on for a bonus 20% trade value, which you should get on TOP of the 20 or 25% they give you if you take CREDIT.

It could add up to alot more than Gamestop would give you(in the $30's someplace), but then you're 'stuck' with Transworld credit. Although, to me, Transworld and their stores guarantee you better condition stuff to buy by not taking in the crap condition stuff like Gamestop does, which is why I like dealing with them alot more.

So, there's an option for you besides Gamestop.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If you sell it to a Transworld Entertainment store(FYE, Sam Goody, Coconuts, etc), you can get a base value of $26.50 for it(which may fluctuate, depending on how many they have in stock).

SecondSpin's trade value link: http://www.secondspin.com/search.jsp?page=1&type=games.title.sell&query=army+of+two

And right now, there's a deal going on for a bonus 20% trade value, which you should get on TOP of the 20 or 25% they give you if you take CREDIT.

It could add up to alot more than Gamestop would give you(in the $30's someplace), but then you're 'stuck' with Transworld credit. Although, to me, Transworld and their stores guarantee you better condition stuff to buy by not taking in the crap condition stuff like Gamestop does, which is why I like dealing with them alot more.

So, there's an option for you besides Gamestop.[/quote]

That's what I'm talking about: a poster that actually wants to help instead of just complain. Kudos to you IAmTheCheapestGamer.

Blockbuster is another one that a lot of people overlook. Any Blockbuster will let you trade in games (they might not advertise it, but they do), and their trade prices cap off at $35 for new games. Granted, it's Blockbuster store credit, but keep in mind that you can use store credit there on anything in the store - including the "keep it" price for rental games. If you've got a GameRush near you, there's always a good chance they'll have a decent selection of used games (obviously nothing like GameStop, as BB doesn't specialize in the format) as well as the top level new games and accessories.

Personally, I've purchased my Rock Band 360 bundle, Smash Brothers Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Rayman Wii, an extra nunchuk, and 1600 MS points at Blockbuster/GameRush, and did all of it using store credit that I got from either trading in stuff that I wasn't playing (and was worth considerably more at BB than GS) or from taking advantage of GS's used coupons and turning a profit at BB.

One more pro to Blockbuster - a used copy of Bioshock (360) sells for $34.99 at Blockbuster. That same used game at GameStop is $49.99.

[quote name='JJSP']Blockbuster is another one that a lot of people overlook. Any Blockbuster will let you trade in games (they might not advertise it, but they do), and their trade prices cap off at $35 for new games. Granted, it's Blockbuster store credit, but keep in mind that you can use store credit there on anything in the store - including the "keep it" price for rental games. If you've got a GameRush near you, there's always a good chance they'll have a decent selection of used games (obviously nothing like GameStop, as BB doesn't specialize in the format) as well as the top level new games and accessories.

Personally, I've purchased my Rock Band 360 bundle, Smash Brothers Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Rayman Wii, an extra nunchuk, and 1600 MS points at Blockbuster/GameRush, and did all of it using store credit that I got from either trading in stuff that I wasn't playing (and was worth considerably more at BB than GS) or from taking advantage of GS's used coupons and turning a profit at BB.

One more pro to Blockbuster - a used copy of Bioshock (360) sells for $34.99 at Blockbuster. That same used game at GameStop is $49.99.[/quote]

Problem is Gamerush locations are rarer than Game Crazy's (there are no Blockbuster/Gamerush locations in all of St. Louis while we still have 2 or 3 Game Crazy's) otherwise I would love to get in some of those deals at Gamerush.

When you're trading a game into Gamestop you are paying for convenience. All you have to do is walk into a store and they will give you credit for it. If you want more money there are other ways to go about but they require more time and effort. If they were the only way to trade in games you would have a valid complaint but since there are other ways there is no need to complain. If you don't like it don't shop there or start renting games that you feel like you are going to trade in after a week.

Considering there are tons of threads on this site where people are talking about buying and hoarding rare games so they can sell them for a large profit you can see that everyone is out to make a quick buck.

bread's done
Back