gamestop ps3/360 used systems $150 with free $20 game

Any info on this or is this just speculation/sarcasm? Unless it's a newly converted new to used product like the PS2 Slims 2 years ago, I think I can wait until BF for a deal on a 360, I just hope its better than the $200 plus games bundle we have seen the last couple of years. Unless I know who I am buying this gen consoles from, I am avoided them will all cost.
Speculation. They may be $150 but I really don't see the BF price being 200 again, especially with the PS3 MSRP $30 lower than it was last year. They're going to try to sell as many of the old consoles as they can in the next 2 years because they're profitable and people won't be able to buy new games on them for much longer.

I'm thinking I might wait till Black Friday for a new 360. Hopefully there are some decent deals during the holiday season. If not I can wait. I'm really tempted though.

My wife got the wink wink nudge nudge about this yesterday when she ran in to pick up a game for me.  So something is definitely happening tomorrow, but she couldnt get the prices out of the GameStop employee.

I have always been a Playstation guy, but my oldest wants an Xbox 360 for a couple of certain Kinect games (he is a huge Wipeout fan).  Since the console will be in a location without Ethernet, can someone tell me how to tell if a particular model has built in WiFi?  If there are multiple models with built in WiFi is one preferable over others for a particular reason?

We have a ton of GameStops around here, so I should be able to find a certain type of system somewhere close by.  I just don't have any clue what to look for.

I have always been a Playstation guy, but my oldest wants an Xbox 360 for a couple of certain Kinect games (he is a huge Wipeout fan). Since the console will be in a location without Ethernet, can someone tell me how to tell if a particular model has built in WiFi? If there are multiple models with built in WiFi is one preferable over others for a particular reason?
The S (slim) and E (new model) both have it built in. The S does have two slightly different variants with a glossy model and a matte model for the 250GB. The matte systems are slightly newer and feel like they're built with a lot better quality plastic but should be functionally the same.

The S (slim) and E (new model) both have it built in. The S does have two slightly different variants with a glossy model and a matte model for the 250GB. The matte systems are slightly newer and feel like they're built with a lot better quality plastic but should be functionally the same.
This, they basically all have Wifi now as long as you don't buy an older console.

My wifi is weak where I use my consoles (extreme opposite of the router) so I've been using a MoCA Network Adapter which does ethernet over coaxial. It works great and is extremely stable. I'd highly recommend it over ethernet over powerline adapters. If you have fios the router itself is a MoCA bridge so all you need is a device in any room you want to share Internet with a wired connection. I went from all kinds of buffering on Netflix to no buffering and I'm able to stream 1080p with 5.1 on both Netflix and VUDU without any stutters or buffering.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-Service-ECB2500CK01/dp/B008EQ4BQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381330831&sr=8-1&keywords=moca

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick response. Isnt the E the one without the Hard Drive built in? If so, I guess I am looking specifically for an S.

Another question, are the apps like Watch ESPN being the Xbox Live pay wall? It seems like it is based on my quick googling. I have no plans to get Xbox Live for him, but I hoped to use some of the other features of the box on occasion. Can you do anything with the box online without paying for Gold?

Thanks for the quick response. Isnt the E the one without the Hard Drive built in? If so, I guess I am looking specifically for an S.

Another question, are the apps like Watch ESPN being the Xbox Live pay wall? It seems like it is based on my quick googling. I have no plans to get Xbox Live for him, but I hoped to use some of the other features of the box on occasion. Can you do anything with the box online without paying for Gold?
The S has a removable HDD. I just looked up the E and it seems to as well. As for the paywall, EVERYTHING is behind the paywall with MS.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Xbox+360+E+Teardown/15062/1

For you guys debating about this system, also keep in mind there will be BF deals just around the corner.  Although last year, I remember the best deal last BF was on the PS3 bundles.  250GB system with Uncharted GOTY and Infamous Collection for $199.  I don't recall the Xbox offer being as good.  However, this deal was for a brand new system and I upgraded because I wanted to "reset the clock" on the YLOD for my system since I had spent hundreds of hours on my PS3 already up to that point. 

GS can take in some pretty fucked up consoles though.  Even though you have the return policy in place, you never really know how irresponsible the previous owner was with the system or if it was even banned :/  If you guys don't know where to look for them, I'd recommend looking up videos on YouTube so you know where to properly locate the Sony and Microsoft warranty seals.  Even though they are supposed to check for it, some employees are lazy and don't bother to look for them. 

My Xbox is gathering dust now but picking up an LE Xbox console is mighty tempting.  So I'm guessing with the holiday return period in effect, we can swap these out for an even exchange until January? And Is the online stock locator disabled or something?  Like merchie said, I can't find any new LE consoles (i.e. Gears/Halo 4/Call of Duty MW3/Star Wars) bundles either. 

The S has a removable HDD. I just looked up the E and it seems to as well. As for the paywall, EVERYTHING is behind the paywall with MS.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Xbox+360+E+Teardown/15062/1
Thanks a lot for that post. The only Es I had seen seemed to be the 4GB version which was why I thought it was by default without a hard drive. That pic made me realize I can not put it (at least an E) in his room. He has an older tube TV with no HDMI input. Ill try and find a pic of an S to see if it had one still.

I cant believe all the apps are behind Gold. That really sucks. I guess I now have to determine if I am willing to spend that kind of money for him to basically play the one game he wants (and probably wont really like when he plays it).

As far as your earlier mocha post, I work for a company that makes products that cable companies sell, very familiar with mocha and you are right about it being better than Home Plug.

All models have a removable hard drive and everybody should check the size of the hard drive through the account settings menu just to be safe to ensure it comes with the stock hard drive (i.e. 320GB S models). The large S hard drives are worth a lot and anybody that has a screwdriver can swap out their 320GB stock hard drive for a cheap phat 20GB hard drive. Hell, I have a phat 120GB hard drive in my 4GB S model.

Thanks a lot for that post. The only Es I had seen seemed to be the 4GB version which was why I thought it was by default without a hard drive. That pic made me realize I can not put it (at least an E) in his room. He has an older tube TV with no HDMI input. Ill try and find a pic of an S to see if it had one still.

I cant believe all the apps are behind Gold. That really sucks. I guess I now have to determine if I am willing to spend that kind of money for him to basically play the one game he wants (and probably wont really like when he plays it).

As far as your earlier mocha post, I work for a company that makes products that cable companies sell, very familiar with mocha and you are right about it being better than Home Plug.
The S has an HDMI port as well as a "regular" xbox 360 port. I believe it comes with a composite cable so if you want HD you're going to need to buy a component video cable.

E is just the most recent super slim version:

Xbox_360_E.jpg

I doubt they'll be offering these as part of the deal and it will only be 250GB S models but that's just a guess.

So $45 for my old 360, $8 for my oldHDD, $17.50 for my wifi adaptor. That's $70 with no bonuses. If slim 360s are $130 this is a hard deal to pass up but they're still used. If its $130 with a 250GB HDD then that's even harder to pass up. I have no powerup coupons available (not enough points) sadly. I don't know, I'm hoping for a $99 black friday deal

I'm all over the new model 360 if I can find one and get it for $75 after coupon with a $20 game. That is potentially a smokeshow of a deal. Probably hard to find a used one. My current 360 is torn apart and waiting for a new laser from China.

;) + :whistle2:$

• ANY PS3 SYSTEM JUST $149.99 INCLUDING A FREE $20 GAME

• XB360 ORIGINAL MODEL $99.99 INCLUDING A FREE $20 GAME

• XB360 4GB SLIM MODEL $119.99 INCLUDING A FREE $20 GAME

• PUR EXCLUSIVE 10/10 ONLY - 30% OFF XB360 AND PS3 PRE-OWNED ACCESSORIES

• PRE-OWNED KINDLE FIRE 8GB FOR $89.99

• iPOD NANO GEN 5 FOR $39.99

Edit: I was told that the original model is just the core system itself, no hard drive included. Maybe that's how they've always sold them? too lazy to check lol.

;) + :whistle2:$

• ANY PS3 SYSTEM JUST $149.99 INCLUDING A FREE $20 GAME

• XB360 ORIGINAL MODEL $99.99 INCLUDING A FREE $20 GAME

• XB360 4GB SLIM MODEL $119.99 INCLUDING A FREE $20 GAME

• PUR EXCLUSIVE 10/10 ONLY - 30% OFF XB360 AND PS3 PRE-OWNED ACCESSORIES

• PRE-OWNED KINDLE FIRE 8GB FOR $89.99

• iPOD NANO GEN 5 FOR $39.99

Edit: I was told that the original model is just the core system itself, no hard drive included. Maybe that's how they've always sold them? too lazy to check lol.
So does this mean only the really old models are $100, the newer models are not on sale except the 4GB version for $120?

It is, they treat them as separate items now.

I think that really kills the 360 deal for most people.

So does this mean only the really old models are $100, the newer models are not on sale except the 4GB version for $120?

Correct. Unless you really have to have it right now I think we'll get a better deal on a 360 in November by the time you factor in HDD cost. The fat model you can get a 60GB drive for a reasonable price but the system won't have wifi built in and that piece is still not cheap. The S model hard drive is like $100 still so that kills that to me when most high profile 360 games have a sizable mandatory install now..

It is, they treat them as separate items now.

I think that really kills the 360 deal for most people.

Correct. Unless you really have to have it right now I think we'll get a better deal on a 360 in November by the time you factor in HDD cost.
This, I picked up a 250 gig last BF with two games for my little bro's Christmas present for only 200. I'm more than certain this year will be lower. The PS3 deal may also be trumped on BF. As much as I'd love a special edition console, I'm holding off.

Correct. Unless you really have to have it right now I think we'll get a better deal on a 360 in November by the time you factor in HDD cost. The fat model you can get a 60GB drive for a reasonable price but the system won't have wifi built in and that piece is still not cheap. The S model hard drive is like $100 still so that kills that to me when most high profile 360 games have a sizable mandatory install now..
Yeah, I will not be buying now since I can reason with the wife with these changes. I was on the fence even at $75 for a newer used one. Only debate now will be if I go ahead and get a Kinect now with the discount or expect that to be in a good deal bundle later. Probably just wait on it all. Appreciate the help guys.

E is just the most recent super slim version:

Xbox_360_E.jpg

I doubt they'll be offering these as part of the deal and it will only be 250GB S models but that's just a guess.
I was tempted by that new X360 till I found out they removed some of the things the S model had.

Yeah, I will not be buying now since I can reason with the wife with these changes. I was on the fence even at $75 for a newer used one. Only debate now will be if I go ahead and get a Kinect now with the discount or expect that to be in a good deal bundle later. Probably just wait on it all. Appreciate the help guys.
Make sure you don't get 1 of the first run Kinects.

still a bit skeptical on the 150 ps3 price..otherwise its a great deal as u can make out with a newer slim or super slim with at least a 250 gb hdd.

This might be the best way to get one of the PS3 60GB models just for the PS2 backwards compatibility if those are also $150.

Are there any kind of limits on the games like used only or can only pick from a certain list?

Dang it my PUR membership just expired. The OP mentions this being available to everyone else come Fri.? Also I'm trying to check stock at my local stores, online. Do systems listed as "refurbished" count as Used for the purpose of this deal?

Dang it my PUR membership just expired. The OP mentions this being available to everyone else come Fri.? Also I'm trying to check stock at my local stores, online. Do systems listed as "refurbished" count as Used for the purpose of this deal?
my advice to you is renew your membership today, cuz i know cagers like me are gonna try and get the new ps3 super slims with the 500 gb hdd.

also if ur just lookin for the system itself you can always go ahead and trade back in the controller for another 20 dollar savings

If you're on the market for a used console just go to eBay. People sell theirs cheaper and they bundle them with all their games. Especially now with the new consoles coming out, I'm sure there's some good deals to be had if you look around.
EBay doesn't have a 30-day return policy or the ability to buy a 1-year replacement plan.

EBay doesn't have a 30-day return policy or the ability to buy a 1-year replacement plan.
actually pre owned products returns for money back is only 7 days, exchange is 30 days. but get this, gamestop holiday return policy is in effect since october 1st so i think you have till mid january to return. so if your system goes to shit in 2 months, you can exchange or return i believe.

actually pre owned products returns for money back is only 7 days, exchange is 30 days. but get this, gamestop holiday return policy is in effect since october 1st so i think you have till mid january to return. so if your system goes to shit in 2 months, you can exchange or return i believe.
It does have to be in condition that they can sell it again so if you buy a system and it dies on you then you're probably going to get rejected.

No. Still 7 days if it doesn't work.

If I'm actually lucky enough to find a preowned Star Wars xbox console, it won't include the Kinect Sensor or the Star Wars Kinect game, will it? But it should include the 320gb hard drive, correct? (and the shiny gold controller if the person who traded it in decided not to trade in a plain old white controller instead?)

If I'm actually lucky enough to find a preowned Star Wars xbox console, it won't include the Kinect Sensor or the Star Wars Kinect game, will it? But it should include the 320gb hard drive, correct? (and the shiny gold controller if the person who traded it in decided not to trade in a plain old white controller instead?)
It sounds more like you'll have to be lucky enough to find one, convince the employee to remove the hard drive, switch it out with a 4gb model, and sell you it as that instead. Otherwise, it doesn't look like special edition consoles will be a go with this.

Well it shouldn't have the Kinect or game, that stuff gets taken in separate. Should have the HDD unless someone swapped it out and the controller probably depends on what was traded with it.

Is $150 worth it for PS3? I know people are scared of getting used 360s, do used PS3s have a better chance of being quality? I know there could be good BF deals, but I think I might want one of the first slim models instead of the very newest for flexibility purposes.

So I guess I'm torn between wondering if I could get a used slightly older one in good condition, or if I could get a new BF one and maybe Sony will allow those to become more flexible after the PS4 comes out. Then again, even if they did, I'm not sure the community is out there to utilize it like they were with the PS2.

Guy posted its only old systems or 4 gb slims not LE consoles...
fuck ,....yeah. Damn it. I read back a few pages and noticed that after my last post asking about the Star Wars console. That really sucks. I really am just interested in a 320gb hdd and a kinect sensor. I could use a controller, but I doubt a refurb one will be in any better shape than my controllers.

I might buy a 30% off Kinect sensor though. I think it should be about $29.99+tax with the 30% discount and PUR discount.

But watch on black friday it will end up being like $30 brand new everywhere. That's my luck. But I have no interest in getting the stupid bundles with Kinect Adventures, Gunstringer, or Fruit Ninja Kinect because I already have all of those games. I just need the damn sensor (and the power cable since I'll be using my old console). I just have to remember to check the model number isn't 1414 like someone mentioned earlier.

my advice to you is renew your membership today, cuz i know cagers like me are gonna try and get the new ps3 super slims with the 500 gb hdd.
Man... this is really stupid of me, considering my current employment situation, but I just talked to the dude at my local Gamestop and they have a white 500gb super slim. Although he mentioned some concern about the BD drive in the super slims. Anyone hear about this?

fuck ,....yeah. Damn it. I read back a few pages and noticed that after my last post asking about the Star Wars console. That really sucks. I really am just interested in a 320gb hdd and a kinect sensor. I could use a controller, but I doubt a refurb one will be in any better shape than my controllers.

I might buy a 30% off Kinect sensor though. I think it should be about $29.99+tax with the 30% discount and PUR discount.

But watch on black friday it will end up being like $30 brand new everywhere. That's my luck. But I have no interest in getting the stupid bundles with Kinect Adventures, Gunstringer, or Fruit Ninja Kinect because I already have all of those games. I just need the damn sensor (and the power cable since I'll be using my old console). I just have to remember to check the model number isn't 1414 like someone mentioned earlier.
I know it would be a long shot, but keep your ears open when at GS IF a customer brings a sensor in for trade... they only give $7...

I was asleep at the wheel as I could have easily gone outside and bought it for $15...

Man... this is really stupid of me, considering my current employment situation, but I just talked to the dude at my local Gamestop and they have a white 500gb super slim. Although he mentioned some concern about the BD drive in the super slims. Anyone hear about this?
I haven't had any but if you're prone to dropping things on your console you could have issues since it's more exposed on the top and the door is the most likely part to get damaged.

With used PS3s... a lot of the original 20/60gb models have issues with noisy fans. Supposedly you can spray or coat the cpu with something that keeps it cool. They do have a top of the line disc drive though.

I have a 2009 120gb (slim) that started having issues identifying blu-ray movies after 2.5 of very light use. I think it was more from dirty discs than the amount of use.

360 S are okay... the disc drives are junk but otherwise nothing else should go bad. I'd just keep a fat 360 instead of upgrading. Wait til after xbox one to upgrade.

I know it would be a long shot, but keep your ears open when at GS IF a customer brings a sensor in for trade... they only give $7...

I was asleep at the wheel as I could have easily gone outside and bought it for $15...
I was at a GS when a customer was trading in like $600 worth of stuff including a sensor. I didn't have the balls to ask, but I definitely will in the future. I'd give the person at least $20 cash if the kinect sensor looked like it was in good shape.

Do you know if the $7 TIV is for the sensor only or for the sensor+power cable?

Is $150 worth it for PS3? I know people are scared of getting used 360s, do used PS3s have a better chance of being quality? I know there could be good BF deals, but I think I might want one of the first slim models instead of the very newest for flexibility purposes.

I'm going to be after one of the converted to pre-owned 320g PS3's.

So the 360 deal isn't worth it unless you can get the old LEs. But It still seems weird to have any and all ps3s at 150, there is such a range from fat slim to super slim. I'm debating if it'd be worth it to buy a 500gb at 150, or wait.

bread's done
Back