GAMESTOP: Save $25 on any new game $29.99 or higher when trading select titles.

[quote name='kylerg']How and where did people get nerfs stuff that traded in for $450?![/QUOTE]

BB reward zone coupon computer glitches...

ima call corporate tomorrow and see what the deal is
I did do a lot of returns from this promo to get the free $25 in credit @ GS
they may have flagged me because I had alot of returns at different stores ...they may think its suspicious

or they could see all of my multiple copy trade ins (sudoku, nerf, mario/ sonic) at different stores in my area

or they could of just froze my account b/c I've had alot of trade in's in a short period of time

[quote name='josh62488']is it written in their policy that customers cant trade in multiple copies of same title?
I know they wont accept 2 copies of same title at same store but if it's 10 copies spread about 10 stores I don't see the harm. I have bought and paid for all games i trade (well except for BB ones, but that can be documented) I believe the account freeze came about because corporate might think I am trading stolen merchandise which is not the case and I can prove.

idk it's not a big deal to me
my $338 in credit needs to be spent anyway b4 I rack up my credit[/QUOTE]

I think it is part of their policy. The 2 per store is to prevent shoplifters, but they also don't want tons of multiples and that is enforced by District Managers, i.e. across the stores they survey, multiples make you a reseller. They don't care if they're not stolen once they identify you as a reseller. They don't want multiples of a title all at the same time because it hurts their business, at least in principle, and certainly in reality when multiple people do it.

Their business plan is set up so that once they receive enough copies of a title the TIV goes down of course. Yes, one person can't really put on the hurt, but they need the policy enforced at the individual level because it's the only way to stop it. They also don't want to have tons of copies of a title whose resell value is now lower, especially at 1 store.

People have been banned completely from trading for doing this. If you've traded quite a bit higher than 2+ of the same title for the same platform in your DM's region don't be surprised to be banned entirely.

[quote name='Zippon']
I definitely want to hear what corporate has to say about your situation. Please post a new thread when you find something out. I think we'd all like to know. Because they either see trades as some sort of "favor" that you might be abusing (rubbish!--GS makes their biggest profits off used games) or it's a suspicion of stolen merchandise, which you might be able to disprove using receipts. I save all my Best Buy freebie receipts for that very purpose.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

You trade by their terms of course, and their terms are setup for maximum profitability so they have the power to revoke your trading as they deem fit. There's ~4,429 stores in the US so say they get 1 copy of a title in every store on avg per 2 weeks, that's 4,429 of that title, but say they get 10 copies of a title in every store on avg per 2 weeks, now they have 44,290 copies of that title. They could sell those 4,429 copies at say $20 = $88,580 (0.05). But now they have to lower the price to $15 so 44,290 at $15 = $664,350, (0.067). But there's also the likelihood they don't sell them all at $15, making their losses even larger. I don't like it and I would be mad if I were you. I'm just trying to put it into perspective after seeing this happen years ago to other traders.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']I hate to ask this a third time, but I need to know before I leave tomorrow- can you return a game you bought with this deal for the game's full value? Or would it be the ~$6 for a $30 game, etc.?[/QUOTE]

Here's a free bump. I would assume either no or you would get $25 store credit and then the $6 back on however you paid for it, depending on the employee. But maybe someone else knows for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zippon']
I definitely want to hear what corporate has to say about your situation. Please post a new thread when you find something out. I think we'd all like to know. Because they either see trades as some sort of "favor" that you might be abusing (rubbish!--GS makes their biggest profits off used games) or it's a suspicion of stolen merchandise, which you might be able to disprove using receipts. I save all my Best Buy freebie receipts for that very purpose.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

You trade by their terms of course, and their terms are setup for maximum profitability so they have the power to revoke your trading as they deem fit. There's ~4,429 stores in the US so say they get 1 copy of a title in every store on avg per 2 weeks, that's 4,429 of that title, but say they get 10 copies of a title in every store on avg per 2 weeks, now they have 44,290 copies of that title. They could sell those 4,429 copies at say $20 = $88,580 (0.05). But now they have to lower the price to $15 so 44,290 at $15 = $664,350, (0.067). I don't like it and I would be mad if I were you. I'm just trying to put it into perspective after seeing this happen years ago to other traders.

Yeah, if you are trading 20+ titles at a time, its shocking to me that they have not used the banhammer more rapidly. Flipping kind of goes along with wholesaling and buying to re-sell...retail stores are trying to cut that out and crack down on it all the time (not just limited to games). It should be relatively obvious that they would have a problem with that and why. Not that I have a problem with anyone doing this...its legal, just a loophole.

I'd like to know as well about the refunding/re-crediting after using the $25. I'm thinking about picking up ACII with (hopefully) my Mario and Sonic Olympics that I got at BBV. I have such a big backlog right now, though, that I may not open it by the time I start wanting another game.

[quote name='J7.']
I think it is part of their policy. The 2 per store is to prevent shoplifters, but they also don't want tons of multiples and that is enforced by District Managers, i.e. across the stores they survey, multiples make you a reseller. They don't care if they're not stolen once they identify you as a reseller. They don't want multiples of a title all at the same time because it hurts their business, at least in principle, and certainly in reality when multiple people do it.

Their business plan is set up so that once they receive enough copies of a title the TIV goes down of course. Yes, one person can't really put on the hurt, but they need the policy enforced at the individual level because it's the only way to stop it. They also don't want to have tons of copies of a title whose resell value is now lower, especially at 1 store.

People have been banned completely from trading for doing this. If you've traded quite a bit higher than 2+ of the same title for the same platform in your DM's region don't be surprised to be banned entirely.

You trade by their terms of course, and their terms are setup for maximum profitability so they have the power to revoke your trading as they deem fit. There's ~4,429 stores in the US so say they get 1 copy of a title in every store on avg per 2 weeks, that's 4,429 of that title, but say they get 10 copies of a title in every store on avg per 2 weeks, now they have 44,290 copies of that title. They could sell those 4,429 copies at say $20 = $88,580 (0.05). But now they have to lower the price to $15 so 44,290 at $15 = $664,350, (0.067). But there's also the likelihood they don't sell them all at $15, making their losses even larger. I don't like it and I would be mad if I were you. I'm just trying to put it into perspective after seeing this happen years ago to other traders.[quote name='J7.']

well if thats the case that's fine...it sucks b/c i wont be able to flip anymore to GS

but it would help limit the number of "deals" I capitalize on ...my friends are planning a big CAG intervention soon...

question
for the people that have been banned, I assume it is indefinitely?
your blacklisted and never able to trade again or just temporarily?

[quote name='david12795']Wait they removed mario and sonic???!!!![/QUOTE]

No. I traded mario and sonic olympics and mario sluggers today (sun 4/11 ~5:50PM) with no problem.

Picked up 2 copies of Infamous because they didn't have Killzone 2 at the store. Will exchange one out at another store tomorrow; probably.

After playing around with dirt 2 from sears for a little bit..its ok but i liked motorstorm pacific rift more. Im going to trade dirt 2 for sakura wars on wii i think.

[quote name='ace1233']doesnt seem like a good deal for some reason[/QUOTE]

It's excellent if you work it right. I think most of us are trading $5 games (like the Mario games, which are $10 and B1G1F at BBV right now) for $25 credit. $20 more than paid is sweet no matter how you slice it.

But if you are trading in a game that normally gets you $20+, then the deal isn't so hot (and Bill Engvall has a sign for you...). ;)

[quote name='josh62488']
well if thats the case that's fine...it sucks b/c i wont be able to flip anymore to GS

but it would help limit the number of "deals" I capitalize on ...my friends are planning a big CAG intervention soon...

question
for the people that have been banned, I assume it is indefinitely?
your blacklisted and never able to trade again or just temporarily?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure you're banned forever. I'd start flipping your stuff to ebay.

[quote name='J7.']I'm pretty sure you're banned forever. I'd start flipping your stuff to ebay.[/QUOTE]

yea probably...not really too concerned ...although GS is the main place to flip games...there are other places

[quote name='J7.']I'm pretty sure you're banned forever. I'd start flipping your stuff to ebay.[/QUOTE]

You mean that place that now takes like 15% off the top and will always back a buyer in a dispute? No thanks.

Not trading at GS would be a real blow. I think I'd just try to create a new account. Shouldn't be too difficult. It's not like they check ID's or anything.

[quote name='nixmahn']Same thing happened to me.

Traded about 25 copies of Nerf N-strike ~ $450.00
and less than 20 copies of sudoku detectives before that

Any1 else getting similar treatment? I'm going to try again just before the 25 off 29.99 promo ends.

edit: trades were spread out across multiple stores[/QUOTE]

Damn. You and josh got the banhammer for trading in multiples? I imagine if I go to trade in a Blockbuster BOGO game that qualifies for the $25 off thing I'll find out I'm banned too now.

Then again, I have lotsa 'fishy' stuff on my trade history(returning games bought via promos with gift receipts, $20 off any purchase into $20 in credit glitch done multiple of multiple times(like 8-12 times), including dumping 3 copies of the Nerf game from BB on one store.

But I proved to them where I got them, how much I 'paid' and their manager approved it.;)

I'll have to test it out with a game from the EA Store ones I got last week tomorrow when I'm at the mall to mail out my games for the BB trade-in and the game I have to mail out for a CAG deal.

[quote name='darthballz']No. I traded mario and sonic olympics and mario sluggers today (sun 4/11 ~5:50PM) with no problem.
[/QUOTE]

I traded a M&S on Sunday too. I have one more to trade so I hope it stays. There wasn't much I wanted to get (and keep) but I came up with one and by utter dumb luck they actually had a new/sealed copy. It was SMT Strange Journey. At first the guy said they had the slip cover out on the floor and the game sealed behind the counter. I was going to go with that as at least the game case is sealed - but that means the slip cover would have an impossible to remove sticker (since it is on the paper of the slip cover) and the soundtrack would have been removed. But I asked him to check one more time and he actually found a fully-sealed one. So I got that for just $8.91 after the M&S trade. He tried to trade in SSBB for me at the same time but it just gave me the regular value for that.

So, theoretically, I could do 2 more: I have another M&S and the SSBB. I'm not sure I want to hassle with the return though and there's not much else I want to pay full price for even after the boost. I mean, eventually I will want Star Ocean International and White Knight Chronicles but I'm assuming I'll be able to get both new (or mint used) for considerably less than $60 at some point and I'm in no hurry to get them. I'm trying not to let the $10 or so boost in TiV push me into a rash purchase - still trying to be a cheapass!

I was a little worried about the bannings until I read they were for people who traded 18-20 or more of a game. Yeah, I don't think I'll have a problem with the 2 M&S or 2 Bully's and 2 GTA IV's I plan to trade over the next week (to different stores) ;). I missed out on the whole Nerf game deal because I was at Disneyland with the kids (being very very non-cheapass there - that place makes you hemorrage money :cry:).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Damn. You and josh got the banhammer for trading in multiples? I imagine if I go to trade in a Blockbuster BOGO game that qualifies for the $25 off thing I'll find out I'm banned too now.

Then again, I have lotsa 'fishy' stuff on my trade history(returning games bought via promos with gift receipts, $20 off any purchase into $20 in credit glitch done multiple of multiple times(like 8-12 times), including dumping 3 copies of the Nerf game from BB on one store.

But I proved to them where I got them, how much I 'paid' and their manager approved it.;)

I'll have to test it out with a game from the EA Store ones I got last week tomorrow when I'm at the mall to mail out my games for the BB trade-in and the game I have to mail out for a CAG deal.[/QUOTE]

yea i'd be careful with the promo /returns thing....those were the last transactions I had and maybe thats what flagged me

actually got the idea from you lol
im happy with my credit...it's not like they banned my card from being used...placed an order last night

but if I am banned forever...it would suck...but then agian...since joining CAG I do waste wayyy to much in gas money when I travel all around town to flip games for profit...

UPDATE:
called gamestop CS...rep said she didn't know why they wouldn't let me trade...I gave her the edge card number...she looked it up and it was still good to go...she put me on hold spoke with manager...said that since I had multiple transactions in one day...they might of tried to "slow me down" cause it looked suspicious...she told me since the card value had high amount ($338) they might of just froze the edge card. Therefore she told me that it seemed like only the card was restricted (which would make sense, b/c when I tried to trade in last the girl swiped my edge card first and then asked for my id) therefore a prompt might of come up about the card...idk just guessing

I assume if I go in to trade in and get a new edge card...it should go through...gonna be too busy writing paper to try it this week though....all you other "banned" CAG's report back when u can

Last edited by a moderator:
tI finally got an answer to my question, guys. I went by Sears and picked up a copy of Dirt 2 for $15, and traded it in at the Gamestop in the same shopping plaza a couple days ago. I managed Sonic Classic Collection for $5 in credit with it ($20 total).

So I took Sonic Classic Collection to the Gamestop by my house before class started to try and get a full refund. Everything was going smoothly, and I had to try really hard to stomach a grin when I saw the signature thingy display the total as $32.91. But when the employee hit Total to try and finalize the transaction, the refund changed to 1 cent. He tried a few different things and couldn't get them to work, and finally had to call someone to find out how to give me the amount I "paid" for the game. I looked around a bit while he was trying to figure it out, and he finally was able to put it on a gift card for me.

So... Basically, YMMV on being able to return the game for full retail. I shouldn't have to tell you, but don't forget to raise a case before they scan your card to give you a penny back. If they want to give you the $6-whatever if you traded in towards a $30 game, explain to them why the credit from your trade-in would be lost if you did that, so you really wouldn't be getting a full refund. And if you get back a full refund, good for you. :D

I traded in Sonic & Mario Olympics today and bought Assassin's Creed II LE with no problems. Cost me about $55-60 for Mario & ACII LE :)

Anyone know if this works towards pre-orders? Just curious so I can just pay off Splinter Cell Conviction tonight... if not, i'll just wait til' it comes out tomorrow.

[quote name='Daywalker']Anyone know if this works towards pre-orders? Just curious so I can just pay off Splinter Cell Conviction tonight... if not, i'll just wait til' it comes out tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

It's not going to work. I tried to put it towards SSF4 but only got the regular trade in value. But the employees were cool about it, let me buy a $30 dollar game so I would get the $25 and just returned it right then and there and put it towards SSF4.

Question for IATCG;

I've noticed some of your posts and it looks like you're an expert at flipping games :D

So, my question to you is what is my best flip option for 2 copies of L4D2? Credit for BB or GS? I'm a bit conflicted at the moment.

[quote name='Daywalker']Anyone know if this works towards pre-orders? Just curious so I can just pay off Splinter Cell Conviction tonight... if not, i'll just wait til' it comes out tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

The guy at one Gamestop told me Splinter Cell would work cause it within the time period of the promotion.

I went to another one and I told the guy If I couldnt do it then Id just come back when I picked up the game. Really cool guy, he just overrode the comp and actually gave me 28.XX$ in credit. I was trading in Kingdom Hearts from Blockbuster and used the Power Trade towards SC, so the cmp wouldnt let him stack the things, that was the reason for the override.

ACII from the Gamedays sale didn't work so I used the $25.56 I got for Brawl and got a brand new God of War III Ultimate Edition for $60 in GS Credit.

[quote name='Zippon']You mean that place that now takes like 15% off the top and will always back a buyer in a dispute? No thanks.

Not trading at GS would be a real blow. I think I'd just try to create a new account. Shouldn't be too difficult. It's not like they check ID's or anything.[/QUOTE]

Do auction and just put it near the price you want for the 9%. Ya he could try using someone else's account or a new Edge card. I'd look into trading to AMZ, TRU, and BBY too.

[quote name='skiizim']What are some good $29.99 games they have right now at GS? I have a few games to trade in for this promo.[/QUOTE]

Pizza Delivery Boy ~ Wii

Its a fund game.

went to a gamestop today and they said this promotion was over .... was it only because they were mistaken or something?

[quote name='pharmer']went to a gamestop today and they said this promotion was over .... was it only because they were mistaken or something?[/QUOTE]

Did you go to another Gamestop? That is unfortunate that they told you it was over as the promo clearly states the following:

[quote name='GUNNM']Offer valid 4/5/10 - 4/25/10.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='josh62488']
UPDATE:
called gamestop CS...rep said she didn't know why they wouldn't let me trade...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update, josh. Glad to hear it worked out (though it still sounds slightly shady on their part).

I tested the waters by trading in another 6 games today (putting me over $450 on my Edge card)--no problems. I've had plenty of duplicate trades, even in the past week (4 Soul Caliburs, 5 Kingdom Hearts, etc), but nobody batted an eye. The one thing I've never done is a shady/fraudulent return or pre-order cancellation. I know those are popular. But I don't have any on my record, so maybe that helps....?

I don't want any game for $29.99 or more but I want to get rid of a game that qualifies to get more $ for it. Any suggestions for games above $29.99 from GS I could flip or even sell - even if I'd only break even?

I didn't read the whole thread yet, but I'm wondering if I can trade in two eligible games and get $50 off a title (provided it's expensive enough, lets say for example $59.99).

[quote name='ryanflucas']I didn't read the whole thread yet, but I'm wondering if I can trade in two eligible games and get $50 off a title (provided it's expensive enough, lets say for example $59.99).[/QUOTE]

I tested this out (granted, only with a $35 new game) and it didn't work. But I still don't think it would work on a $59.99 game - there's nothing inherently wrong with them giving you more credit than the game you are buying as that has happened on promos before (you just the extra refunded to your Edge card). I think it is tied to one game trade/one new game purchase/one $25 boost. You might be able to trade 2 games and get 2 new ones though - but then you run the risk of a conflict between this deal and the trade 2/4/6 one. I had 7 games to trade and made sure the one I wanted the $25 for was in it's own transaction with the new game and the other 6 were in a different one for the 40% boost.

[quote name='SelmaBlair']So.... you could trade Modern Warfare 2 in for a 29.99 game and only need to pay 5 dollars? Or am I missing something.[/QUOTE]

Yes - actually, less than $5 if you have an Edge card since you will still get the 10% extra for whetever the base value of MW2 is.

[quote name='chronoserge456']It's not going to work. I tried to put it towards SSF4 but only got the regular trade in value. But the employees were cool about it, let me buy a $30 dollar game so I would get the $25 and just returned it right then and there and put it towards SSF4.[/QUOTE]

See my previous posts. I managed to get full value for 2 trades but the pre-orders I made had to be paid in full in the transaction. Very YMMV; multiple stores in my area are doing this ( they rotate their employees ).

Good luck

I called two local GS about trading in one of the select titles, buying a new game, returning it to get the promo value on current games that are pre-orders. They said that because when you return it, the trade in value is returned and the amount paid with card or cash is also returned. So technically (in my case), I would buy a game on the 4/25 and wait until 5/25 to return it and get the $25 credit and pay off UFC Undisputed 2010 (release date of 5/25). Both said it is doable and shouldn't be a problem as it's not a store by store policy but a company policy.

[quote name='AsianChexMix']I called two local GS about trading in one of the select titles, buying a new game, returning it to get the promo value on current games that are pre-orders. They said that because when you return it, the trade in value is returned and the amount paid with card or cash is also returned. So technically (in my case), I would buy a game on the 4/25 and wait until 5/25 to return it and get the $25 credit and pay off UFC Undisputed 2010 (release date of 5/25). Both said it is doable and shouldn't be a problem as it's not a store by store policy but a company policy.[/QUOTE]

wait so your GS stores are actually telling you that it's ok to buy the game with the $25 promo TIV and then return the game to keep the credit?

[quote name='josh62488']wait so your GS stores are actually telling you that it's ok to buy the game with the $25 promo TIV and then return the game to keep the credit?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is what they are saying. I mean I asked them about standard return policy and they said it applied.

I traded in a Sonic and Mario: Olympic games today and got $25 off but didn't get the game trade in aswell so a $30 game cost me $5. Is that what happened to everyone else?

[quote name='AsianChexMix']Yes, that is what they are saying. I mean I asked them about standard return policy and they said it applied.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing. I did it at the GS and asked what would happen if I bought a game with it and returned it so I could preorder RDR. The guy said I could do it on Splinter Cell cause it was within the promotion. The manager didnt seem to happy about it but let me do it for RDR. When I went back to try it on Splinter Cell the lady tried to tell me that it was cause I traded two games in and it had to be two games on the list. Well i knew that was BS so I went to the another GS down the street and the guy was happy to do it for Splinter Cell. I traded in Kingdom Hearts with the Power Trade for Splinter Cell and he gave me the 25 (plus EDGE) for Mario and Sonic on Splinter Cell as well. Well, the computer wouldnt stack the promotion so he had to overrdie it and actually gave me 28 and change instead of 27.50 for Mario and Sonic.

[quote name='Abeja']I did the same thing. I did it at the GS and asked what would happen if I bought a game with it and returned it so I could preorder RDR. The guy said I could do it on Splinter Cell cause it was within the promotion. The manager didnt seem to happy about it but let me do it for RDR. When I went back to try it on Splinter Cell the lady tried to tell me that it was cause I traded two games in and it had to be two games on the list. Well i knew that was BS so I went to the another GS down the street and the guy was happy to do it for Splinter Cell. I traded in Kingdom Hearts with the Power Trade for Splinter Cell and he gave me the 25 (plus EDGE) for Mario and Sonic on Splinter Cell as well. Well, the computer wouldnt stack the promotion so he had to overrdie it and actually gave me 28 and change instead of 27.50 for Mario and Sonic.[/QUOTE]

hmmm i originally thought that my account was "on hold" because of this buy/ return trick to get the $25 credit value...if GS employee's are actually telling customers to do this I need to investigate...anyone know how to get ahold of District Managers at GS?

bread's done
Back