GAMESTOP: Save $25 on any new game $29.99 or higher when trading select titles.

Congrats to those that got this deal to work. It's been a bust so far for me. I tried to trade in a copy of Mario and Sonic 1 for the Wii so I could pick up Assassin's Creed 2. First Gamestop had some pasty fat sack working behind the counter, I asked him if they had the trade deal going, he said yeah and handed me the flier. I went and got the game out of my car and when I gave it to him he pointed to the front of the flier and said “which one of these games do you want?” meaning I had to choose from one pictured on the flier, I said excuse me and showed him the big red text that said “ANY GAME 29.99 OR HIGHER.” Then I told him I wanted ACII and he begrudgingly went to the drawer, flipped past the sealed ones, paused for a second and pulled out a gutted copy and started walking to the front bins to pull a case out. I asked him if they had any sealed ones and he said “no” basically lying to me for the second time. I said forget it and just left.

Second GS had 10 people in line, most trading in games as well, and only one person working the counter so instead of waiting in line half an hour I just left. The 3rd one I went to said the same deal about only having gutted copies saying that those were the only ones available for the Game Day Sale, I thought about it and just decided to get one anyway since I wasted enough time and gas so far. The clerk then tells me that since there were some scratches (admittedly there are a few light surface scratches, but the game still works perfectly) on the Mario and Sonic there would be a fee. Keep in mind the game is complete- white case with insert and manual. I ask him how much and he hesitates for a second and says “4 Dollars.” What the hell? When did GS start charging a 4 dollar refurbishing fee for anything?

I used to be pretty neutral towards GS but between shifting policies, trying to weasel out of their own promotions, and lying employees they can eat shit for all I care.

Worked for me and i got the edge bonus, i'm about to go back, or go back tommorow and return it so i can the credit and use it toward my street figter 4 pre-order

[quote name='GEMONYTE']It should work; it did for me when they held the $20 trade promo a while back.

I had great success today due the lack of info provided to the GS employees at my local store. Traded M&S at the Olympic Games, SSBB, Dead Rising:CTYD and SFIV. Total credit = $83.45 :applause:

What happened was that the system would not automatically give the $25 trade for the eligible titles because what I bought and paid for were pre-orders for Super Streer Fighter IV & Transformers: war for Cybertron. So, the employee manually overrode the trade for M&S and SSBB to $25 but the system also gave me my Edge bonus PLUS the stack promo of 20% extra value for 4 games traded. He even told me it was giving me too much, and I understood, but after several attempts and coming up with the same result he said 'F' it, you're a regular customer' and gave me full credit. $30.40 for SSBB and $29.65 for M&S.

As soon as we were done and I had my receipt, the manager walked in and the employe explained what had happened. The manager said she had no problem with it because I had paid for both pre-orders in full ($17.73 out of pocket). But did explain that it was limited to stock on hand. She said if I had other game that went with promo she would do the same as long as any future pre-orders were paid in full.

Now, I've got one more SSBB and M&S to trade and I have to decide what to do with them. The M&S games were acquired through BBV's b1g1 and SSBB though Goozex specifically for this purpose ( 550 points for $30 credit at GS).

I love being a CAG. :D

BTW, the store was in Cypress, TX ( Northwest Houston ) on hwy 529 near hwy 6 in front of Wal-Mart in Copperfield.[/QUOTE]

Only issue with that was that they were willing to since you were a regular there. Me, I have never stepped into a Gamestop (before today) since Madden 09 pick up. Only reason I want/have to go is stupid UFC 2010 has exclusive fighters I want. :roll:

This is going to be a dumb question, I've only scanned the thread, but is it "trade in 1 of the games from the list, and get a bonus $25 credit ON TOP of the regular t.i.v." or a "Bring in one of the games, and get a $25 credit" ? Need to know if because I think I'm going to trade in Bioshock 2 for Splinter Cell.

[quote name='faceinthecrowd']This is going to be a dumb question, I've only scanned the thread, but is it "trade in 1 of the games from the list, and get a bonus $25 credit ON TOP of the trade regular t.i.v." or a "Bring in one of the games, and get a $25 credit" ? Need to know if because I think I'm going to trade in Bioshock 2 for Splinter Cell.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's only $25 credit for all games, if they added the $25 to the regular TIV then they would be losing money. :cool:

OBVIOUSLY. Thats the whole point of why I wanted clarity on it (and to take advantage).

The ad says "Save $25 on any new game $29.99 or higher when trading select titles"

the fine print says $25 is net after trade, some games trade in higher than $25.

The wording is confusing, it doesn't say "Get $25 in credit towards a new game for trading in a game on the list." It says SAVE $25, like trading in a specific game acts like a coupon. Gamestop makes most of their money on used game sales, so getting a lot of hot new titles to mark up is more profitable then making $5-10 off a new game. Either way, I'll just talk to someone at GS tomorrow, should be a good conversation. I know a few of the staff... thanks for pointing out the obvious though Mok.

[quote name='faceinthecrowd']OBVIOUSLY. Thats the whole point of why I wanted clarity on it (and to take advantage).

The ad says "Save $25 on any new game $29.99 or higher when trading select titles"

the fine print says $25 is net after trade, some games trade in higher than $25.

The wording is confusing, it doesn't say "Get $25 in credit towards a new game for trading in a game on the list." It says SAVE $25, like trading in a specific game acts like a coupon. Gamestop makes most of their money on used game sales, so getting a lot of hot new titles to mark up is more profitable then making $5-10 off a new game. Either way, I'll just talk to someone at GS tomorrow, should be a good conversation. I know a few of the staff... thanks for pointing out the obvious though Mok.[/QUOTE]

Its going to be $25 dollars plus EDGE.

So for example SSBB trades in for $14 or so normally thanks to the promo it bumps up to $25 + EDGE (So like $27 if you have edge) I believe that is why its worded the way it is

Thanks joshnorm, it just seemed most titles on the list already value around $25 (I can trade in Bioshock 2 for $24+edge and get a used copy of Borderlands at $30 after edge spending $4 instead $15 for a new copy), and the wording makes it sketchy. I'm assuming you've already used this deal? Either way, I'm still going to talk to a friend at GS and get the scoop, and hopefully convince them to do the deal like the ad makes it seem. I've got 10 minutes to blow after work.

I traded in Darksiders and ended up getting total credit of $50.69, so I ended up paying about $10 for FFXIII. Most of the Gamestops I've been to have been-- if not great, then at least courteous, and they try to help me out with the deals.

Of course, I usually go to the ones that have older employees. A lot of the ones with young kids, it's like you can tell it's their first job and they're already shitting in their own bed.

[quote name='faceinthecrowd']Thanks joshnorm, it just seemed most titles on the list already value around $25 (I can trade in Bioshock 2 for $24+edge and get a used copy of Borderlands at $30 after edge spending $4 instead $15 for a new copy), and the wording makes it sketchy. I'm assuming you've already used this deal? Either way, I'm still going to talk to a friend at GS and get the scoop, and hopefully convince them to do the deal like the ad makes it seem. I've got 10 minutes to blow after work.[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI, sale / trade values are for purchase of NEW games, not used. But, just like I succeeded in using the trade-Ins on pre-orders, you could probably get an exception.

i bought morden warfare reflex and punch out from blockbuster b1g1free for $14.99 and traded them in @ gamestop for FF13 and heavy rain. at first one guy at a gamestop told me the games were scratched and they would take $4 off each game. i told them that was BS and went to a different gamestop. the guy there didn't even open the cases.

The incompetent asshats at Blockbuster in West Hartford wouldn't sell me Punchout for its 9.99 price tag because it rang up at 39.99. I spent the next two hours going to other Hartford county Blockbusters and wasting my life - they had NOTHING with a TIV above $5.

[quote name='GEMONYTE']It should work; it did for me when they held the $20 trade promo a while back.

I had great success today due the lack of info provided to the GS employees at my local store. Traded M&S at the Olympic Games, SSBB, Dead Rising:CTYD and SFIV. Total credit = $83.45 :applause:

What happened was that the system would not automatically give the $25 trade for the eligible titles because what I bought and paid for were pre-orders for Super Streer Fighter IV & Transformers: war for Cybertron. So, the employee manually overrode the trade for M&S and SSBB to $25 but the system also gave me my Edge bonus PLUS the stack promo of 20% extra value for 4 games traded. He even told me it was giving me too much, and I understood, but after several attempts and coming up with the same result he said 'F' it, you're a regular customer' and gave me full credit. $30.40 for SSBB and $29.65 for M&S.

As soon as we were done and I had my receipt, the manager walked in and the employe explained what had happened. The manager said she had no problem with it because I had paid for both pre-orders in full ($17.73 out of pocket). But did explain that it was limited to stock on hand. She said if I had other game that went with promo she would do the same as long as any future pre-orders were paid in full.

Now, I've got one more SSBB and M&S to trade and I have to decide what to do with them. The M&S games were acquired through BBV's b1g1 and SSBB though Goozex specifically for this purpose ( 550 points for $30 credit at GS).

I love being a CAG. :D

BTW, the store was in Cypress, TX ( Northwest Houston ) on hwy 529 near hwy 6 in front of Wal-Mart in Copperfield.[/QUOTE]

I might have to go by & try this since I live a min away from the Copperfield store,thanks for the tip man

[quote name='faceinthecrowd']Thanks joshnorm, it just seemed most titles on the list already value around $25 (I can trade in Bioshock 2 for $24+edge and get a used copy of Borderlands at $30 after edge spending $4 instead $15 for a new copy), and the wording makes it sketchy. I'm assuming you've already used this deal? Either way, I'm still going to talk to a friend at GS and get the scoop, and hopefully convince them to do the deal like the ad makes it seem. I've got 10 minutes to blow after work.[/QUOTE]

Yea I was able to use the deal on a few Wii games from the B1G1 over at BBV.

While most games on the list don't really make sense but games like Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (1st one), Super Smash Bros Brawl, etc have values around $10-$15 so its worth it for them espically if you get them for $9.99 :D

Either way good luck

I was able to pick up mario and sonic Olympics and mario sluggers for $10 at BBV, but they are not in the best condition. I've never gotten a refurb fee at my local GS, but these two seem like likely candidates. Will the refurb fee cause the games to be omitted from this deal?

I'm really hoping to pick-up Infamous and Killzone 2 (again).

Just did my first trade-ins with this deal; I was a little worried that the missing manual from SSBB might lessen the value, but I was informed only the game/case mattered (YMMV).

The promotion only applies to 1 trade per new game; I originally intended to trade 2 games from the list to get $50 off Bioshock 2, but when the sale was totaled in the register, I only received $15 back on the second game. Decided instead to grab Halo Wars and RE5:Gold. There's enough copies of Bioshock 2 still floating around that I'll just wait til new ones drop to $30.

I've had tales of vesparia sitting on my shelf for like a year and a half and haven't touched it since. I'm GETTIN ME SOME POKEMANS SOUL SILVER YEAAAAH.

Just got of the phone with Gamestop. The guy told me he knew of the $25.00 trade in deal, but he said it would be absolutely crazy if it was $29.99 and up. He said it was only applicable on games $49.99 and up. I told him I had a print-out of the better deal and he said bring it in to prove him wrong. So if anyone is attempting the deal, make sure to bring a printout of the deal.

[quote name='amorbis696']Just got of the phone with Gamestop. The guy told me he knew of the $25.00 trade in deal, but he said it would be absolutely crazy if it was $29.99 and up. He said it was only applicable on games $49.99 and up. I told him I had a print-out of the better deal and he said bring it in to prove him wrong. So if anyone is attempting the deal, make sure to bring a printout of the deal.[/QUOTE]

In Most stores, they have fliers. Or just tell them to check their planners.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']In Most stores, they have fliers. Or just tell them to check their planners.[/QUOTE]
In my store they not only have the fliers, they actually shoved it into my hand and proclaimed that I could get $25 instead of $15 for my trade-in. Not all Gamestops are bad!

I went back to return a game i picked up with the deal with a gift receipt hoping to get store credit. They said they could only offer me cash back for the game, So i made somewhat of a profit. They gave me 30 dollars of cash back for a game i paid about 5 bucks for. Used it to pay of my SSFIV :)

I can't decide whether or not to keep Tales of Vesperia I have sealed and eventually play it or sell it, or to give it to GS for $25.

They only had gutted copies of infamous and LBP GOTY :(.

Im gonna return those and rebuy them for sealed copies. I actually WANT the red cases cause i have a few GH games

Kinda ran into a problem at GS. tried to use Mario and Sonic at the Olympics games towards Splinter Celland the manager told me it was for 2 games on the list. I guess she was upset when I bought a game and immeditately returned it to preorder RDR the other day with Mario Super SLuggers and another Mario and Sonic (even tho the guy told me that day that it could work for Splinter Cell since it was within the promotions period). O well, went to another GS and guy was super cool. He overrode the computer and tried to bump the game to 25$, however I used the Kingdom Hearts I had found towards the preorder of SC, so i used the 25% power trade. Well, I guess the computer didnt like that, so he had to trick it somehow and actually gave me a dollar more credit on SC. Awesome, paid 12 dollars for the preorder.

my gamestop had no idea about it... and i was about to have to bring up the webpage on my phone to them but they just scanned the game i was grabbing over 29.99 to try and it rung up automatically.

My friend gave me his EDGE card's number thing to use online. Can I take this number to the store to apply for the extra 10%?? Or do they need to see/scan the actual card? Thanx

questions

I went to trade in mario and sonic and was denied

the girl asked to see my id and said I wasn't allowed to trade in b/c they got a message from coperate saying I had too many trade ins...

i didn't really question it

anybody have this issue?

looks like they are cracking down ....beware!

[quote name='darknight88']My friend gave me his EDGE card's number thing to use online. Can I take this number to the store to apply for the extra 10%?? Or do they need to see/scan the actual card? Thanx[/QUOTE]

Not sure how it works at all stores, but at my local one they didn't even ask for my card, they used my phone number and/or birthdate to bring up the info in the computer. I'm fairly sure they frown on EDGE sharing, but either way it's not something I'd recommend myself. ;)

[quote name='josh62488']questions

the girl asked to see my id and said I wasn't allowed to trade in b/c they got a message from coperate saying I had too many trade ins...

anybody have this issue?

looks like they are cracking down ....beware![/QUOTE]

Just how many trade ins did you do? Are you BANNED for good?

thats waht im wondering
ima call tommorrow
i have had alot of trades this year with BB free games and a few BBV flips
we will see...ill report back

[quote name='AMadcap']Not sure how it works at all stores, but at my local one they didn't even ask for my card, they used my phone number and/or birthdate to bring up the info in the computer. I'm fairly sure they frown on EDGE sharing, but either way it's not something I'd recommend myself. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok. Thanx for that advice.

Roughly how many trades have you made? 50? 500? That might give us an idea.

I think I've got to be over 50 already this year, but I've never had a problem.

And I found out tonight that the deal doesn't automatically apply in all cases. I traded in 9 games plus a Mario and Sonic Winter Olympics to buy a LBP GOTY. When he rang everything in, he let the "promotion wizard" choose the best deal, which resulted in me getting $20+ for Mario and Sonic. I pointed out that I should have gotten $26.30 ($25 plus 10% Edge on base TIV). He was surprised because the wizard program almost always makes the right choice. He just deleted everything and did the trade-ins on one transaction and the Mario and Sonic/LBP on another. Worked out fine and got me an extra $5.

[quote name='darknight88']Ah, ok. Thanx for that advice.[/QUOTE]

You can always make your friend come along with you on your trips to GS and make him use the card himself.

[quote name='Zippon']Roughly how many trades have you made? 50? 500? That might give us an idea.

And I found out tonight that the deal doesn't automatically apply in all cases. I traded in 9 games plus a Mario and Sonic Winter Olympics to buy a LBP GOTY. When he rang everything in, he let the "promotion wizard" choose the best deal, which resulted in me getting $20+ for Mario and Sonic. I pointed out that I should have gotten $26.30 ($25 plus 10% Edge on base TIV). He was surprised because the wizard program almost always makes the right choice. He just deleted everything and did the trade-ins on one transaction and the Mario and Sonic/LBP on another. Worked out fine and got me an extra $5.[/QUOTE]

GS's system is that ONLY 1 PROMOTIONAL DEAL can only be applied, which is basically their policy unless you weasel them into doing an override.

[quote name='Zippon']Roughly how many trades have you made? 50? 500? That might give us an idea.

And I found out tonight that the deal doesn't automatically apply in all cases. I traded in 9 games plus a Mario and Sonic Winter Olympics to buy a LBP GOTY. When he rang everything in, he let the "promotion wizard" choose the best deal, which resulted in me getting $20+ for Mario and Sonic. I pointed out that I should have gotten $26.30 ($25 plus 10% Edge on base TIV). He was surprised because the wizard program almost always makes the right choice. He just deleted everything and did the trade-ins on one transaction and the Mario and Sonic/LBP on another. Worked out fine and got me an extra $5.[/QUOTE]

welll i probobly only have about 40
but there has been alot within the past 4 months b/c of the BB flips

ill let yall know what ifind out

GS maybe cracking down like BBV did with FTF

[quote name='josh62488']thats waht im wondering
ima call tommorrow
i have had alot of trades this year with BB free games and a few BBV flips
we will see...ill report back[/QUOTE]

It sounds more like you may have been banned for trading in too many games of the same title. Did you trade in multiple copies of 1 game?

I hate to ask this a third time, but I need to know before I leave tomorrow- can you return a game you bought with this deal for the game's full value? Or would it be the ~$6 for a $30 game, etc.?

[quote name='flop']
GS's system is that ONLY 1 PROMOTIONAL DEAL can only be applied, which is basically their policy unless you weasel them into doing an override.[/QUOTE]

That's not the point. The two applicable promotions were "extra 40% TIV" or "$25 off new game $29.99 or more". The wizard applied the lower one (40%) rather than the $25 off. I had more than six games already, plus the new game was on the bill, so it should have defaulted that one game (Mario and Sonic) to the better deal.

The clerk fixed it, but I'm pointing out that it isn't automatic in all cases, since people keep asking.

[quote name='josh62488']questions

anybody have this issue?

looks like they are cracking down ....beware![/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me.

Traded about 25 copies of Nerf N-strike ~ $450.00
and less than 20 copies of sudoku detectives before that

Any1 else getting similar treatment? I'm going to try again just before the 25 off 29.99 promo ends.

edit: trades were spread out across multiple stores

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nixmahn']Same thing happened to me.

Traded about 25 copies of Nerf N-strike ~ $450.00
and less than 20 copies of sudoku detectives before that

Any1 else getting similar treatment? I'm going to try again just before the 25 off 29.99 promo ends.[/QUOTE]

is it written in their policy that customers cant trade in multiple copies of same title?
I know they wont accept 2 copies of same title at same store but if it's 10 copies spread about 10 stores I don't see the harm. I have bought and paid for all games i trade (well except for BB ones, but that can be documented) I believe the account freeze came about because corporate might think I am trading stolen merchandise which is not the case and I can prove.

idk it's not a big deal to me
my $338 in credit needs to be spent anyway b4 I rack up my credit

they better not ban me for trade ins. that's messed up. credit can only be used their so they know they have our business for the future. weird. also my 25 wasnt bumped up with edge, just straight 25. oh well. I got killzone 2 for $10total and spend $8 no dlc package this week, lol. peace

[quote name='josh62488']is it written in their policy that customers cant trade in multiple copies of same title?
I know they wont accept 2 copies of same title at same store but if it's 10 copies spread about 10 stores I don't see the harm. I have bought and paid for all games i trade (well except for BB ones, but that can be documented) I believe the account freeze came about because corporate might think I am trading stolen merchandise which is not the case and I can prove. [/QUOTE]

I think I had 18 Sudokus and 8 Nerfs, plus a bunch of random stuff, but no problems yet.

I do have weird feedback about the 1 per store thing, though. I always read that here and spread my duplicate trades out, no more than 1 per store. But this week I had some multiples and mentioned it to the clerk. He said, "Do you have them?! Go get 'em. We'll take em all!" I asked about the 1 per store thing, and the clerk next to him said, "We have a rule about that?" LOL. The first guy said, "Yeah, it's to prevent shoplifting, but we rarely enforce it." So he let me trade in duplicates. Today I traded in 3 copies of Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny to another store, along with 7 other games. I asked if he wanted to see receipts, and he said no worries. So the 1 per store is most definitely YMMV.

I definitely want to hear what corporate has to say about your situation. Please post a new thread when you find something out. I think we'd all like to know. Because they either see trades as some sort of "favor" that you might be abusing (rubbish!--GS makes their biggest profits off used games) or it's a suspicion of stolen merchandise, which you might be able to disprove using receipts. I save all my Best Buy freebie receipts for that very purpose.

Good luck!

you guys are hilarious, just like the Star Wars game that was removed from the list, now sonic! Jr detectives are catching on

Heck, I bring in multiple sealed games to my Gamestop all the time. The employees don't care. As long as I have a receipt to show that I didn't steal them, they take them no problem. If I got banned for doing that, though, I'd be PISSED. Like you all said, credit HAS to be used at Gamestop, so being banned from a store you've accumulated a bunch of credit at FOR accumulating credit is bullshit.

bread's done
Back