Gamestop - Trade in a system get bonus $20!

deadlykeyboard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Just got back from my local GS, they had signs that they were about to put up stating that they would give a bonus $20 for trading in a system with one controller and all the cables.

They accept all systems except for GBA and GBA Micro, if I remember correctly.

Traded in slim PS2 for $40 (before $20 bonus).

On a side note, when I was there trading in the PS2 system, a lady came in and wanted to see a specific colored DS in hand. She said her kid wanted to visually see it. The Gamestop clerk told that the DS pictured on the box would be the exact one she would be getting.

Next, she just told the guy to "shut your mouth", and the "customer is alrights right."
Man, I felt sorry for the guy.

[quote name='unforeseen']Traded in slim PS2 for $40 (before $20 bonus).

On a side note, when I was there trading in the PS2 system, a lady came in and wanted to see a specific colored DS in hand. She said her kid wanted to visually see it. The Gamestop clerk told that the DS pictured on the box would be the exact one she would be getting.

Next, she just told the guy to "shut your mouth", and the "customer is alrights right."
Man, I felt sorry for the guy.[/quote]

:lol: stupid woman....

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']Brought in a semi-broken ps2 I've been meaning to sell on ebay for parts and got the full $60 credit for it at gamestop (i accidentally pulled off the connector to the fan when i was replacing its laser). Console was missing warranty sticker, the square tiles on the bottom, and the screws weren't the stock screws that the original had. Pretty obvious it had been opened - but you can always count on gamestop employee incompetence.

Best part? I learned today that when you use credit, taxes don't apply. NICE.[/quote]
Apparently the people at my local Gamestops don't believe in the 'no taxes on credit' thing, since I've been nailed for taxes when I had credit with them before. This is why I spent ALL of my credit on ONE thing and haven't dealt with the jerkoffs at Gamestop in forever.
Also, how the fuck do you lose the original screws, mess up the fan connector and everything else you said while messing with the system? I'm guessing it was a slim though, because you said you got $60 for it. Those things seem flimsy to me.

[quote name='Capitalizt']A-holes at My Gamestop only gave me $10 for my Xbox. The warranty sticker had been peeled off on the bottom. I did it when I cleaned the system out a while back. I put the sticker back on but the guy seemed to notice. I thought I would at least get the $20 bonus for it..so $30 total, but NOPE! He just gave me the standard $20 - $10 refurb fee = $10. Should I have gotten the bonus or did I get ripped off?[/quote]
I've taken apart an Xbox before, so lemme ask this.... Did you glue the rubber feet back on the system properly? Did you clean the sticker residue from where you peeled up the warranty sticker and did you gently remove the warranty sticker? If yes to all of those, it should've looked like you never did ANY work on that XBox. If no, then you did a sloppy job and it was highly noticable.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Also, how the fuck do you lose the original screws, mess up the fan connector and everything else you said while messing with the system? I'm guessing it was a slim though, because you said you got $60 for it. Those things seem flimsy to me.[/quote]

lol. Well, I used to fix slim ps2's with disc read errors, replace their lasers, and re-sell them. So, at one point I had a whole bunch of these guys and decided to completely take one apart. Long story short, I fucked one up and decided to forget it and put it aside. So, here comes this sale and I'm missing all the damn screws and tiles for this PS2, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyways.

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']lol. Well, I used to fix slim ps2's with disc read errors, replace their lasers, and re-sell them. So, at one point I had a whole bunch of these guys and decided to completely take one apart. Long story short, I fucked one up and decided to forget it and put it aside. So, here comes this sale and I'm missing all the damn screws and tiles for this PS2, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyways.[/quote]

LOL I did the same with a fat PS2(the taking it all apart thing). I just did it to see if I could put it all back together and have it still work 100%. Shockingly, IT DID. I took it down to base components, with the lens laying in one spot, the drive tray in another, the motherboard in another spot and so on.

Most of the DRE problems I've fixed were done with either a simple adjustment of the laser or a thorough cleaning of the PS2.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL I did the same with a fat PS2(the taking it all apart thing). I just did it to see if I could put it all back together and have it still work 100%. Shockingly, IT DID. I took it down to base components, with the lens laying in one spot, the drive tray in another, the motherboard in another spot and so on.

Most of the DRE problems I've fixed were done with either a simple adjustment of the laser or a thorough cleaning of the PS2.[/quote]

Geez, those stupid PS2 systems. I've taken apart gamecubes, wiis, ps2s, ps3s, xbox 1s, xbox 360s, DS lites, and none of them are as big of a pain in the ass as the ps2s (phats). That system was just a big mess (the other big pain are the nintendo systems, those stupid Y-Wing screws. I just drill them out, oh well :) ). I just took apart a xbox 360 just now for a friend (gave me some cash too because I actually fixed his DRE problems...x clamp) but because of the heat sheild, I tore my arm up.

Anyways, I got $190 for my stuff yesterday, sold a DS lite, Pokemon Diamond (don't ask, gift), Final Fantasy III, Gears of War, Guitar Hero III, Mario Tennis. Pre-ordered my Socom Confrontation and will be picking up the beta ticket tomorrow.

On a side note, anyone see this, yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65I0HNvTDH4

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='daminion']Here's a summary of prices in the thread... so you don't have to go hunting around like I did.

All TIVs listed without any bonus.

:ds: DS Lite: $60
:ds: DS Phat: $20
:gba: GBA SP: $20
:ps2: Fat PS2: $35
:ps2: Slim PS2: $40
:xbox: Xbox: $26 / $30
:360: 360 core: $80-$120

Notes
The Edge does not work Systems[/quote]

Thanks a bunch for this... although what does that mean the original XBox goes for? $26 or $30?

Sears has some cheap DS lite chargers on sale I think, if you can find one. If not buy a crappy 3rd party one off ebay for like 5$.

For all those of you saying its morally wrong to trade GS your bad systems, first of all they are supposed to refurbish the system before they put it out to sell and second if it passes the trade in test or they just take it then why not. However from experience they just toss those systems right to the shelf that people trade in in nasty, smelly and filthy dirty condition (and sometimes it even smells like pot). Some of this stuff is worse than yard sale quality. I just can't believe how people take care of the stuff that their parents or themselves bought.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Be careful. Some games have problems with BC. Though getting rid of the fat one is a good idea. Slim is far superior.[/QUOTE]

WRONG!;) HD Loader is a ps2 fatty's friend. It's the best way(IMO) to play and protect your ps2 games.

traded in xbox and slim ps2. got about $100 credit. helped me get rid of old systems cluttering space. thought about trading in my phat ps2, but the trooper still works flawlessly, albeit obtrusively.

[quote name='rhymetimesfine']traded in xbox and slim ps2. got about $100 credit. helped me get rid of old systems cluttering space. thought about trading in my phat ps2, but the trooper still works flawlessly, albeit obtrusively.[/quote]

How much for the xbox? $45?

[quote name='Guy Legend']Ouch.[/quote]

That's really not that bad. You might get a little more on ebay but then have to deal with the shipping. It's really not to bad of a trade off.

Im looking at an auction for just the system with 2 controllers. It is at 37 with 8 minutes left. After fees and then paypal, it's a wash. Ill update with what it actually ends at.

Does the 40 for SP stack on top of the trade an SP and get a DS lite for 90 Bucks? I'm thinking about trading in my lite/sp and getting the pokemon special edition.

I believe someone said the deal ends today? And asked if there was still a trade in ds/sp and get ds lite for 90$?

I found this page on gamestop:
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty/tradeins/offers.aspx

I don't know if stores have certain sales but they are both valid promo until 8/31.

I was going to try to see if I could stack my DS and my SP to get a cheap Lite. I'll report my experience if I end up going tomorrow.

Traded in my 50001 model PS2 fatty today, along with a third party Interact(only damn third party controllers that were actually DECENT)controller that I bought back in the PS1 era for $5 used.

I got $55 for the PS2(after bonus) and $2 for the controller. Not bad, considering I went to THREE fuckin' Gamestops on Tuesday and each one had an excuse why they can't take the damn thing.

First place said 'you need a Dual Shock 2 for it'(I was trying to trade the Interact controller with it)AND an AV cable for it(I only had an old ass RF switch for it).

Second place said they could accept the system with the Interact controller and RF switch, but then noticed the missing warranty seal, so no go there.

Last place noticed the seal right off the bat and said no way.

So, I guess in this case, fourth time WAS the charm for me.

When the shit did Gamestop get so damned picky about what they take in. It's ridiculous, since I NEVER had that much trouble before taking stuff in to trade.

I used the credit(and $1 something in cash) and picked up a Dual Shock 3, which I'm debating if I truly want or not at this point.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Does the 40 for SP stack on top of the trade an SP and get a DS lite for 90 Bucks? I'm thinking about trading in my lite/sp and getting the pokemon special edition.[/quote]

No, one promo per transaction, so I guess you'll get a DS for $90 either way...

For my everything included PHAT PSP, they tried to give me $70. He didn't hone the deal, or my EBGames card, so I said hes a con artist, and have this old PSP I don't need.

:360: 360 core: $80-$120

What does this mean? I have a launch Xbox 360 that keeps breaking and is currently being fixed by Microsoft. I was thinking about trading it in towards a new one. How much will I get?

[quote name='keefurxxcore']For my everything included PHAT PSP, they tried to give me $70. He didn't hone the deal, or my EBGames card, so I said hes a con artist, and have this old PSP I don't need.[/quote]

I dont think you get a 10% bonus on the card since it doesnt include systems, just accesories and games, correct me if Im wrong here.

[quote name='weguzs']Hey if anybody wants i got the $30 Trade-In Any System Coupon.
Expire In 10/31/08[/QUOTE]

Yeah I would take that.

[quote name='keefurxxcore']For my everything included PHAT PSP, they tried to give me $70. He didn't hone the deal, or my EBGames card, so I said hes a con artist, and have this old PSP I don't need.[/QUOTE]

The trade-in value of a phat PSP is $50 (I called a week or two ago) so $70 included the extra $20. You don't get any extra trade-in credit with your EBGames card since it isn't valid on systems so even he took it, it would be pointless. I'm debating on keeping my old phat or upgrading but either way it might make more sense to ebay or craigslist it.

[quote name='rhymetimesfine']i got $30 w/ bonus. -$10 refurbishing fee.[/quote]

They charged you a refurb fee on the system? Was it opened? If not, then that's bullshit and I would've definitely walked out with my system.

Traded in an xbox system today for 20+30 (coupon hosted on SD.net) and a gba sp for 20+20. Threw down a $5 preorder on lego batman, mercenaries 2, and starwars force unleashed. The coupon works in Corona, CA.

In my area there's a few craigslist ads selling Xboxs for $20. Is there a limit on the $20 bonus? One bonus per person? I'm thinking of buying the systems and doing a trad-in for credit.

[quote name='dts5000']In my area there's a few craigslist ads selling Xboxs for $20. Is there a limit on the $20 bonus? One bonus per person? I'm thinking of buying the systems and doing a trad-in for credit.[/QUOTE]

In that case, you better make sure
a) comes with av cable and power plug and controller
b) has the stickers on the bottom
c) boots and plays games

If any of those 3 are not met, you may not be able to get the 20. If it is broken or incomplete, they will charge you a refurb fee ~10, and may or may not give you any bonus.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They charged you a refurb fee on the system? Was it opened? If not, then that's bullshit and I would've definitely walked out with my system.[/quote]

the drive was fucked (thompson 'original') and i took the easy way out.

[quote name='weguzs']Hey if anybody wants i got the $30 Trade-In Any System Coupon.
Expire In 10/31/08[/quote]

a day late and 20 GS bucks short now :whistle2:(. but i've got a few old systems that can benefit.

[quote name='ZKRefleX']Wait so you need a coupon for this or is it automatic...if so can someone point me in the direction of the coupon[/QUOTE]

The bonus $20 is automatic. There is a coupon floating on slick deals website that gives $30 bonus. I would say google 'gamestop $30 bonus coupon', which is how I found it. Unless someone who knows how to host a coupon posts it here.

[quote name='rhymetimesfine']the drive was fucked (thompson 'original') and i took the easy way out.[/quote]

That definitely IS the easy way out, which I took with about 3 old PS2's a couple of years ago when GS was giving $50-60 before bonuses for them, including one which did the same thing that 360's do if you move them with a disc in(ring shaped scratch).

GS-Extra30AnySystemTradeIn.png

^^Greatly appreciated:applause: Will test tomorrow.

update: was trying to get rid of a GBA, but no dice. I'm gonna try a different store, hopefully this weekend

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading the coupons fine print section it says no Game Boy Advance and other old game boys,

so why does the title say "ANY GAME" that BS man...

[quote name='GuardianE']Thanks a bunch for this... although what does that mean the original XBox goes for? $26 or $30?[/quote]

Both TIVs were reported in this thread.

I have an original Thompson Xbox where the drive comes and goes. The system has been opened. I've kept it around with the thought of eventually putting a media center on it, but that seems like a lot of work. Maybe I'll just trade it in, $40 would work for me.

I think the trade values for the Xbox 360 are $100 for the Arcade without a Hard Drive and it has the wireless controller, but with the wired controller you only get $80. So you can get $120 for it with the coupon. Is that correct?

bread's done
Back