Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

Yes to the new shotty but a huge DO NOT WANT if host advantage is still alive and kicking.

Yes to what appears to be Alex making her debut assuming they changed her hair color.

LOLWTF to Dom really letting himself go over the years. Someone give that man a hug or a cookie.

Off to a decent start so far I suppose. I just hope the game play continues where the trailer left off.

Looks like Gears of War. Are we sure that's Dom with the beard? It doesn't look like Dom. It looks like Marcus...with a beard.

Also, the trailer saying "The End" at the conclusion of the trailer makes me say 'yeah, right'.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']
Yes to what appears to be Alex making her debut assuming they changed her hair color.
[/QUOTE]
Unless they decided to add a Japanese teenage male character...

Never know with both Dom and Marcus in Lost Planet 2.

Besides that though, say what you want about Epic, but they make some of the best damn game trailer's of any company.

Was that one of them?
Better than the Crysis 2 trailer at least for the machismo/poignant/artful thing they go for, but that isn't not saying much.

Hopefully epic stays on it's April 8 target date...probably should edit that in the topic title if this will some point in the future become the General thread for it.

[quote name='dallow']Was that one of them?
[/QUOTE]
Hey I liked it. It wasn't random guitar riffs and I'm fine with letting visuals speak for themselves. Though my favorite is still "Rendezvous With Death" from Gears 2.

Hmmm i didnt think it was dom, but now that i look back it does seem like its him. He looks at the woman ash statue...probably thinking about maria. Wow he doesnt look the same if that is him.

Features

• Rod confirmed 4 Player Co-Op in the Gears IRC, with 4 unique characters. Rod confirmed that co-op includes Marcus, Dom, Cole, Baird and a "variety of other characters"
Story

• Set 18 months after Gears of War 2, and after the fourth Gears of War book
  • The location shown in the "Ashes to Ashes" trailer is a location nicknamed 'Char', where the remains of victims from the Hammer of Dawn strikes are heavily present.
Weapons

• The Pendulum Lancer is in Gears of War 3
  • A Double Barrelled Shotgun was spotted in the Ashes to Ashes trailer. Lee Perry expands:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee Perry
    FWIW, that weapon didn't exist until several hundred pages of the shotgun mechanic thread. That doesn't really give much away, considering the VAST amount of conflicting opinions in that thread; but the opinions in that thread definitely helped shape the weapon.

Haha, I wonder if we could have made a trailer with basically a slow camera pan down a new shotgun and had about the same amount of interest from existing players, hahha.

Characters

• Dom is now heavily bearded. According to Rod, this is due to his problems dealing with the loss of his wife.
  • Anya is the female COG soldier seen in the "Ashes to Ashes" trailer. We will learn more on her transition from pencil pusher to soldier throughout the books.
Enemies

• Lambent Locust: These enemies mutate and transform as you fight them.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']4. Player. Co-Op.

Please.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Trakan']Features

• Rod confirmed 4 Player Co-Op in the Gears IRC, with 4 unique characters. Rod confirmed that co-op includes Marcus, Dom, Cole, Baird and a "variety of other characters"
[/QUOTE]
Check.

:cool:

LOL. Wow... so that was Anya? Well maybe Marcus will actually get some for once now that she'll be within arms length. I don't know how I feel about 4-player co-op at the moment. I still remember the myriad of lag ridden partners I got stuck with during my Insane difficulty runs. ;'(

The Dom look makes sense. Being in a "war" like they have been should wear a person down and change them over time. Obviously more so with him with the loss of his wife but one could argue the change had already occurred in Marcus from the start of the series.

As for multiplayer, GoW1 was full of competition and some trash talking. In this game everyone just talks in Xbox party mode and the teams can't even talk to one another once the rounds are over. Maybe it's just me but I like for it to get a bit personal so that getting killed is a matter of pride...thats what made GoW 1 much better for me.

So excited for 4-player co-op! The campaign co-op in Borderlands and Left 4 Dead have been some of my best experiences on the 360. Gears of War 2 has one of my favorite campaigns of any game, and I'm sure 3 will be even more over-the-top. It's going to be a long year.

[quote name='Trakan'].[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Trakan!!

I just saw the Cliffy B clip on Jimmy Fallon. Thanks for adding the details.

I couldn't believe how much Dom aged in the trailer. Only 18 months have passed? Geesh, I thought it was several years. Nice to see Anya take to the field. And there's four books? I'm only on the second; Jacinto's Remnant.

I hope Epic doesn't make female soldiers run faster than the guys because they're lighter. This logic applies to vehicles. With human-form limitations, men generally run faster than women; even with both genders carrying armor. [

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they all go to a gay club or something? Why are are Dom and Marcus going with the Cole (No under shirt. Just top armor) look all the sudden in this one?

[quote name='slickkill77']Did they all go to a gay club or something? Why are are Dom and Marcus going with the Cole (No under shirt. Just top armor) look all the sudden in this one?[/QUOTE]

Oh, be nice.

[quote name='slickkill77']Did they all go to a gay club or something? Why are are Dom and Marcus going with the Cole (No under shirt. Just top armor) look all the sudden in this one?[/QUOTE]

I think this has more to do with the COG resources being depleted. In the second book, Jacinto's Remnant which is canon, their situation is getting really bad.

Baird has always been gay, anyway.

Great trailer. Along with the music and imagery, it got the message across that the war was getting near "hopeless"

It was a nice emotional touch to see Dom with the grizzled beard, seeing him get knocked down, seeing the "ash" woman which obviously reminds him of Maria, and have the Locust roll up on him, where you basically see him ready to die and give up.

Official release date here, nice to see! Though I expect it to be delayed, it could be too early in development for them to put an exact date on the game.

Woot!:bouncy:

P.S. If you are wondering, the US release date will be three days earlier then the EU date.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are a few screens from the trailer.

Double Woot!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mospeada_21']Thanks, Trakan!!

I just saw the Cliffy B clip on Jimmy Fallon. Thanks for adding the details.

I couldn't believe how much Dom aged in the trailer. Only 18 months have passed? Geesh, I thought it was several years. Nice to see Anya take to the field. And there's four books? I'm only on the second; Jacinto's Remnant.

I hope Epic doesn't make female soldiers run faster than the guys because they're lighter. This logic applies to vehicles. With human-form limitations, men generally run faster than women; even with both genders carrying armor. [

I'm also surprised to see 4-Player co-op. There must be something different then what we usually see in 4-Player co-op, because Cliffy B. was never really "into" the idea of having that many co-op players. He said he disrupted the experience, like having four people watch a movie. So I think they must have done something that gets the Cliffy B. seal of approval.

holy triple post!

anyways, hopefully they do something cool with the 4-player co-op to make it work really well, but as far as Cliffy not wanting to do 4 player, I think it was a smart move. That is the direction so many games are going, and it can make for a deeper experience if done right.

Now, for a game like Bioshock, there should not be co-op.
But, as stated, most of the scenes in the Gears of War SP campaign's generally contain 4 players, and I think the first two in the series could have been a ton of fun with 3 other team members. I welcome it and am looking forward to it.

[quote name='myl0r']holy triple post!

anyways, hopefully they do something cool with the 4-player co-op to make it work really well, but as far as Cliffy not wanting to do 4 player, I think it was a smart move. That is the direction so many games are going, and it can make for a deeper experience if done right.

Now, for a game like Bioshock, there should not be co-op.
But, as stated, most of the scenes in the Gears of War SP campaign's generally contain 4 players, and I think the first two in the series could have been a ton of fun with 3 other team members. I welcome it and am looking forward to it.[/QUOTE]

The first two Gears of War I thought were great with two players, and I have to agree (right now) with Cliffy B. that four player co-op would disrupt the experience of the game.

I mean, everyone knows how moronic most people online are, especially in team-based or co-op modes/games.

P.S. SUPER excited to see what they do with the MP. Maybe bump it up to 6v6 multiplayer? 4v4 is still somewhat small, especially when compared to 100% of other MP games.

Gears 2 is 5v5 and it's perfect just the way it is. I'm even excited to check out some 4 player co-op but mainly because I have some good buddies I can trust not to split when some random person from their friends list sends an invite.

Yes...perfect...besides the crippling lag and bugs and exploits.

Also, transitioning Anya to a soldier through the books instead of the game is really stupid. It's kinda important, don't you think?

You've got to start playing in private parties where that stuff doesn't fly. Better yet, Horde doesn't have any of that and it's still a blast to play with strangers.

I know it's too late but lag issues seem to have gone the way of the dodo.

[quote name='JDKnuckles']Custom Trailer I made for the game.[/QUOTE]

all you did was use another soundtrack... :roll:

so we're calling this a 'custom trailer' now? :whistle2:s

(I'm gonna refrain from dropping harsh insults in case your brother accidentally accessed your account, too)

Well glad they finally let the cat out of the bag, although its not like we didn't know it was coming.

Really excited to hear about the 4 player co-op. I loved playing co-op campaign in the first two games. Always was alot of fun with friends or with randoms. I have really enjoy Horde mode as well. I don't like the vs. MP at all in either game, but that isn't really my cup of tea anyways.

I will be interested to see how they decide to kick us in the nuts with one or two pain in the ass achievements. Gears 1 had Seriously, which set the stage for other games to do 10k kill achievements. Even worse the achievement is glitchy as all hell, sometimes requiring people to do thousands of kills more just to get it to unlock. Gears for Windows made it twice as bad having 10k kill achievements for both Ranked and Player matches. Now Gears 2 has Level 100, which is just a cruel grind. I'm at level 50 and only have like 800k XP. I think I need something like 8 million more xp to get to Level 100? Forget that.

I really wish they would add a halo 3 type theater mode where you could save the last 25 matches or whatever, and upload some clips. All we can do right now is take screenshots and thats of other people since we cant watch ourselves.

I hope they do something drastically different with the MP. Gears 1 MP showed a lot of potential, but Gears 2 pretty much ruined it.

[quote name='ProggleRock']I hope they do something drastically different with the MP. Gears 1 MP showed a lot of potential, but Gears 2 pretty much ruined it.[/QUOTE]

Well, for everyone saying the Gears 2 multiplayer was trash, I sure do see a TON of people that are very high level players. You don't get that high playing a game you hate.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Well, for everyone saying the Gears 2 multiplayer was trash, I sure do see a TON of people that are very high level players. You don't get that high playing a game you hate.[/QUOTE]
horde gives xp

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Well, for everyone saying the Gears 2 multiplayer was trash, I sure do see a TON of people that are very high level players. You don't get that high playing a game you hate.[/QUOTE]

LOL.

A large majority of those "high level" players either glitched their rank and/or bridge host with their friends to ensure a decent connection and an easy win. What could they possibly have to complain about?

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']LOL.

A large majority of those "high level" players either glitched their rank and/or bridge host with their friends to ensure a decent connection and an easy win. What could they possibly have to complain about?[/QUOTE]

Chainsaw noobs.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Chainsaw noobs.[/QUOTE]

Any host team who let themselves get wrecked by a bunch of chainsaw scrubs deserves to lose. A decent team would switch up tactics e.g. a) Warzone Hammerburst/Lancer and control power weapon spawns or b) rush even harder with host shotty to overwhelm them by trading death for death (at worst if your teammates aren't one shotting them during the animation like they should be) until they are outnumbered.

That is... assuming the opposition isn't lagging by any degree to begin with and all they know how to do is chainsaw.

Either way you'd have to be a fool or just flat out new to the game to honestly believe host teams are playing the same game their opposition is forced to should they decide to stay in the match. Unless the team doesn't know they have it and lag isn't an issue then host advantage (who has it and what they do with it) matters. It always matters and that is one of the main reasons so many people agree Gears 2 multiplayer is absolute trash.

They need to fix the host scenario, I only got a couple hosts last night and one of them I started out 7-1 after their team killed our leader right away and then couldn't kill me.

[quote name='freshzen']They need to fix the host scenario, I only got a couple hosts last night and one of them I started out 7-1 after their team killed our leader right away and then couldn't kill me.[/QUOTE]

Being host makes it so easy. I was host once last night and went 11-2 i think in wingman. Then i got a message from someone calling me a cheater. LOL. I get so much hate mail just from beating people its ridiculous. More so in Gears than any other game. Someone said my moms a whore, another called me a melee noob. People sure like to bitch. If they dont like parts of the gameplay then dont play. Sore losers are what they are. But i really hate when im not host. Some games i can shoot a guy with a shotty 3-4 times and he doesnt even go down. I just pray they fix the lag issues and make this game more consistent.

I gues I need to get my ass in gear and play the second one. I have had it from day one but just never got around to it. I liked the first one but could not really get into the second. I will give it another chance.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Being host makes it so easy. I was host once last night and went 11-2 i think in wingman. Then i got a message from someone calling me a cheater. LOL. I get so much hate mail just from beating people its ridiculous. More so in Gears than any other game. Someone said my moms a whore, another called me a melee noob. People sure like to bitch. If they dont like parts of the gameplay then dont play. Sore losers are what they are. But i really hate when im not host. Some games i can shoot a guy with a shotty 3-4 times and he doesnt even go down. I just pray they fix the lag issues and make this game more consistent.[/QUOTE]

I got blamed for being host when I'm not and when I am host. I usually just mess around and don't play serious. I ended up just muting everyone its for the best. Since all you hear is trash talk or people complaining in general. I agree with you guys. They really need to get rid of that host advantage.

bread's done
Back