Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

They need to fix the meat shield button too. It was stupid to make it button A. Unless they purposely wanted to make it hard to grab a meat shield. Half the time im not even moving and i try to pick someone up and i end up rolling instead of picking them up. All while the RB is not even used for anything.

[quote name='The 7th Number']They need to fix the meat shield button too. It was stupid to make it button A. Unless they purposely wanted to make it hard to grab a meat shield. Half the time im not even moving and i try to pick someone up and i end up rolling instead of picking them up. All while the RB is not even used for anything.[/QUOTE]

I forgot about that. They need to fix that as well. I hope Gears 3 was set up like the first one instead of the second one. If not I hope at least they make the online way better than what Gears 2 was. I hate to admit it. Even If the online is same as Gears 2 I'll still be playing Gears 3. Since I love Gears so much.

I hope there's a compilation version like for Gears2 or free dlc after a while like Gears1...I'm not buying this after what I dropped on dlc for Gears 2

[quote name='Gamer SDP']I hope there's a compilation version like for Gears2 or free dlc after a while like Gears1...I'm not buying this after what I dropped on dlc for Gears 2[/QUOTE]

Well, there wasn't THAT much DLC for Gears 2. Its not like it was a ton more then any other game that has DLC.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Well, for everyone saying the Gears 2 multiplayer was trash, I sure do see a TON of people that are very high level players. You don't get that high playing a game you hate.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GUNNM']horde gives xp[/QUOTE]

Yea, when they do the double/triple XP weekends you get 750xp in one wave of horde on insane. Just keep playing Security wave 1, jump through lasers, then restart. Fastest way to level up legit.

I thought they did one over st pattys day but I didn't play. Once I hit 50 I pretty much gave up on grinding to 100. Unless they do some insane xp event I won't throw this back in.

Im on level 82 now. Took me around 16 hours to level from 81 to 82. Though i only average about 900 pts a game, so maybe 1,500+ XP per match in guardian. Play a little wingman sometimes too since thats gives out the best XP.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Half the time im not even moving and i try to pick someone up and i end up rolling instead of picking them up. All while the RB is not even used for anything.[/QUOTE]

I thought RB was reload and active reload. Unless, an alternate controller setup is used.

And I do agree with you regarding practically every point. Many times, when I try grabbing a 'sweetie pie' meatshield, I end up rolling. *expletive*-ing annoying, cause that usually ends up rolling right up to the guy I'm trying to knock out.

btw, how can you tell that you're host up front? you know, besides your team winning by a landslide?

I do agree, Gears 2 MP winners, are often decided by host/lag advantage which makes this game frustrating as hell to play sometimes. What's odd is, even when you play with AI's on your own machine, there's frame rate issues! damn, Epic, fix that.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']I thought RB was reload and active reload. Unless, an alternate controller setup is used.

And I do agree with you regarding practically every point. Many times, when I try grabbing a 'sweetie pie' meatshield, I end up rolling. *expletive*-ing annoying, cause that usually ends up rolling right up to the guy I'm trying to knock out.

btw, how can you tell that you're host up front? you know, besides your team winning by a landslide?

I do agree, Gears 2 MP winners, are often decided by host/lag advantage which makes this game frustrating as hell to play sometimes. What's odd is, even when you play with AI's on your own machine, there's frame rate issues! damn, Epic, fix that.[/QUOTE]

My bad, RB is for reloading. LOL. But they could still make it maybe press the right analog in to pick up a meat shield.

As for knowing if you are host, just watch the clock tick down when you are picking your character/gun in the lobby. If you are host it will flash 0:00 twice. If you are not the host it will only flash once. My host sucks balls, because most of the time someone on my team ends up lagging out. I was just host my last game and had 2 bots cos the other two guys probly didnt connect with my shitty connection. But my team still won.

Anyone else hear the rumor that the game was ready for release around Thanksgiving but was pushed back by Microsoft because of Halo:Reach being released around the same time?

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Well, for everyone saying the Gears 2 multiplayer was trash, I sure do see a TON of people that are very high level players. You don't get that high playing a game you hate.[/QUOTE]

It's still a fun game, and there's really nothing else out there like it; I just think there are all of these little issues with it that keep it from being great and competing with games like Halo and CoD. Some of it is technical (like all the glitches and host advantages, etc), but I think most of it is just archaic design. The matchmaking system is horrid, each round's time limit is way too long, and it basically caters to people who let their team die and wait for the enemy to fall into their series of traps. Proximity grenades/mines are still not a good idea in MP games, and racing teammates for the good weapons gets old quick.

And why is everything so damn slow? It takes forever to get through matchmaking, forever to CANCEL matchmaking, forever to start a match, and forever to FINISH a match -- with all the stats and "network" updating, whatever the hell that means.

Gears 1 was much faster paced, and IMO, a better online game. Getting into a game took seconds, and the combat was actually a lot faster, too. For instance, in Gears 2 there's a little delay between ending a roll and being able to fire a gun (namely the shotgun), making it just feel awkward and frustrating. I guess they were trying to nerf the shotgun by doing this, but all it did was make shotgun battles sloppier.

[quote name='5of9']Anyone else hear the rumor that the game was ready for release around Thanksgiving but was pushed back by Microsoft because of Halo:Reach being released around the same time?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like speculation manifesting into a rumor.

I had to buy the new Cog suit for gears 3, along with the ticker. :D

One other thing about gears 2, today i played a match where the opposite team had 2 leaders each round. One was fake, and one was real, and the same dude was the real leader every round. Is this a hack or just a glitch in the game?

I'm a rather huge COG in the Gears of War, love it. Spent the majority of the last few weeks attaining achievements in boosting parties in Gears1, afraid that by the time Gears3 is released, there will be another EA fiasco and drop online support for Gears1 (only supporting MP in the later games).

So, for the time being, I'm working on the final 6 cheevos on Gears1, then moving onto Gears2, where I fear stalling out very quickly.

Can't wait for Gears3! :)

[quote name='The 7th Number']I had to buy the new Cog suit for gears 3, along with the ticker. :D

One other thing about gears 2, today i played a match where the opposite team had 2 leaders each round. One was fake, and one was real, and the same dude was the real leader every round. Is this a hack or just a glitch in the game?[/QUOTE]
I think its a glitch in the game because it happened to me once. I was the real leader like 4/5 rounds, and the person who should have been the leader was a fake. It could have been something someone else on my team did, but I assume it was a glitch.

I actually preordered this yesterday. 11 and a half months early. lol. I had an unclaimed preorder I needed to roll over to something, and I didn't see anything else worthwhile. But I was surprised it was even in their system this early!

Yup, I've got this preordered too... My Prime trial was about to run out so I figured I'd get one more preorder in while I could. God knows I'm going to want this right away, but I'm not enough of a Gears fan to need the inevitable collector's edition.

I was reading on x360a forums last night, I guess they are taking out the chainsaw lancer and putting in a different lancer that will have a bayonet. There will also be a double barrel shotgun with less range and longer reloads, but it will be more powerful with the ability to take out a few guys at once if they are lined up.

Personally hoping they copy some Dead Space type weapons ^_^

I wont pre order till i see whats exclusives there are, also they will probably have a limited edition and im all for that.

As far as the chainsaw, i think its badass, but i really do hope they take it out of MP.

I'm on the opposite side of that arguement. I hope they have a MP mode with no shotgun! (But I doubt it!)

But I do hope that double-barrel shotgun needs to be reloaded after two shots, and doesn't hold 6-8 rounds. If it's going to be that powerful, they need to balance it with the low capacity.

I think the Pendulum Lancer, with the bayonette instead of the chainsaw, is just an alternate gun, I don't think it's replacing the normal chainsaw Lancer. In the storyline, I believe this is the older model gun, and they are starting to use them again out of desperation.

if they just fix the netcode most of my weapon complaints will be gone. my major weapon complaint is that there are too many and the game should go back to being more simplistic.

I guess you could say I'm right smack dab in the middle of the 'argument'. I would honestly prefer either a vamped up playlist for private games or a "pro"/MLG type where (provided the entire host situation is resolved) you could nix just about anything. At the very least tone down the damage output of some weapons.

A melee/host advantage/lag/saw-less Gears experience would be nothing short of ambrosial for me.

This series just sucks online. GoW 1 was acceptable because Halo 3 or CoD 4 hadn't hit the 360 yet, but GoW 2 was laughably bad, especially since matchmaking didn't work the first 3 or so months.

They just need to make it like a third person, little bit slower Unreal Tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gears 1: shotgun all the way. boom, roll, boom. wow, strategy.
Gears 2: wait, wait, wait, lag, lag, lag.

I got so fed up with online, I actually went back to play Gears 1's offline campaign on insane difficulty.

I have a feeling if Epic dialed down the graphics for online play, things could run a lot smoother.

Silverback suits reminds me of lost planet. Hopefully those suits dont move as damn slow. Those new locust things look pretty cool. I cant wait for this game.

Gears+3-5-PS.png

The in-game shot looks pretty damn good.

Can someone tell me what Dom is doing in that first picture. It looks like he is reaching for an ash figure of a locust that's trying to punch him.

[quote name='slickkill77']Can someone tell me what Dom is doing in that first picture. It looks like he is reaching for an ash figure of a locust that's trying to punch him.[/QUOTE]

Have you seen the trailer? I think he is just reaching out to an ashed covered lady thinking of maria.

[quote name='slickkill77']http://themindchannel.blogspot.com/2010/05/first-gears-of-war-3-gameplay-pictures.html

New pictures out. Looks damn good.[/QUOTE]

nice, thanks!

new enemies [lambent?] look to be a cross between locust and akrid; down to the 'please shoot me here' signatures. yeah, they're taking a lot from Lost Planet 1 for sure, even the Silverback VS. The graphical enhancements are awesome, and Anya looks great. What is that on Dom's hip, a canteen or a disc bomb?

Have they killed off Baird, yet? Any mentions of Clay?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Have you seen the trailer? I think he is just reaching out to an ashed covered lady thinking of maria.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured but its just so random seeing it in a picture since normally their trailers don't really coincide with gameplay ever

[quote name='thrustbucket']+1 for removing the shotgun from online. Totally ruins the game.[/QUOTE]

Is this a wish, or something you read they are doing? I dont mind shotguns so much, but the game is dominated by them. But i hate chainsaws. I wish they would remove them from MP, or at least make the lancer a gun you have to pick up. Also i dunno why they took out the smoke that breaks up meat shields. Now meat shields are just way too ridiculous.

They really need to balance things out more, and id prefer more maps where each team can pick up a special weapon like canals, all fathers garden, and such. In those maps you can pick up a sniper for each team in addition to the power weapons in the middle. Instead of these maps like Jacinto and blood drive that only have special weapons in the middle.

[quote name='thrustbucket']+1 for removing the shotgun from online. Totally ruins the game.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is accurate. If you listen to what Cliff says in the video (on the dashboard) he says that his "favorite weapon" is the shotgun because it's so widely used online- so it's THE favorite weapon. There is NO WAY they would take it out, in fact in gow 3 there will be a sawed off double barrel shotty

The only reason it's everybody's favorite weapon is because it's connection based broken bullshit. It sucks when it devolves into a shotguns only match.

Yeah I didn't mean they weren't taking out the shotgun, I meant I wish they would.

Long to medium distance fighting in gears games are my favorite online shooting experiences. Sadly, it's become extremely rare to get in a game where that's what it is.

Figuring out a way to charge the other team and gib them repeatedly, isn't fun; and that's mostly what Gears 2 is.

Last I recall long to medium distance Hammerburst and Lancer wars were the norm for Warzone unless the general pool of players switched tactics which would prove near suicidal against a real WZ team. I agree every other game type is a honest toss up though. Since I abhor camping and long drawn out matches (pure run and gunner here) I doubt I'd enjoy Gears half as much if rush based combat weren't the norm in most game types. Hell... it's the only shooter I own where camping is rarely an issue and I'm thankful for it.

All the magazines are going to have a big reveal this month. This magazine was just leaked/uploaded first. GI is going to have a 10 page spread.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Last I recall long to medium distance Hammerburst and Lancer wars were the norm for Warzone unless the general pool of players switched tactics which would prove near suicidal against a real WZ team. I agree every other game type is a honest toss up though. Since I abhor camping and long drawn out matches (pure run and gunner here) I doubt I'd enjoy Gears half as much if rush based combat weren't the norm in most game types. Hell... it's the only shooter I own where camping is rarely an issue and I'm thankful for it.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I am glad there was hardly any camping in GoW2.

[quote name='5of9']Anyone else hear the rumor that the game was ready for release around Thanksgiving but was pushed back by Microsoft because of Halo:Reach being released around the same time?[/QUOTE]

I would be kinda surprised if this was the case, but nonetheless its possible. Microsoft wouldn't want to spread their customer's too thin.

Beast Mode sounds pretty cool:

Beast mode actually isn’t that much of a departure from the existing Horde mode formula. The twist is that instead of controlling human COG soldiers, up to five players get to control not only the bipedal Locust as in the competitive multiplayer, but also other Locust types. That’s right, you can even play the role of the suicidal Ticker!

Going against the COG soldiers, players start off with lesser Locust enemies, such as Tickers and Wretches, and work their way up the leveling ladder until they get to the ultimate Locust beast, the Berserker herself (Brumak not yet confirmed!). But that’s only one of the classes, as players will also get to choose other more traditional Locust enemies and level them up to unlock superior variants.

Horde mode fans need not worry, as it will be making a comeback and will feature more gameplay upgrades and distinct new challenges.
http://www.xboxic.com/news/6254

I wasn't too hyped about this game until I witnessed the demo on the MS keynote yesterday...the Campaign seems like it's going to be more fast paced and pretty nuts. Horde mode was my favorite addition to GoW2 and Beast mode looks like it might be one of my favorite additions of GoW3.

bread's done
Back