Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

My Troll Sense starts tingling every time I gloss over a MYT post so I wouldn't believe a word of what that kid/grown man says without actual proof.

Obvious must-buy for most. The customization could be nice in the MP, adding just a little bit more to the gameplay and the feel of it. I think this is most likely going to be GOTY in 2011, based off my early impressions.

P.S. I have a hunch Gears 3 beta will probably just have something to do with signing up on the site/pre ordering the game. I would be surprised if Epic tried something that would displease the fans.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']My Troll Sense starts tingling every time I gloss over a MYT post so I wouldn't believe a word of what that kid/grown man says without actual proof.[/QUOTE]

LOL He's banned.

I like that the games turn into a shotgunfest when it gets close range the thing I don't like is the host/host's team usually dominates the shotgun battles and they hit you from so far away doing ridiculous damage. The shotguns wouldn't be so bad if the advantage was removed.

Bah. I know most gears fans love close range shotgun parties. I hate them. Gears was my favorite game until it started getting worse in that regard.

Gears MP shines most, imo, at the long and medium range fights. But when you play against people that only ever try to flank charge you with the shotgun, it gets boring fast.

It just sucks that charging in with the shotgun is as good or better than any weapon in the game, and its a weapon everyone starts with. They either need to drop shotty damage significantly or make it far more risky to charge in or make the shotty a pick-up weapon. Then I'd be happy.

It just needs more game modes. Including some without shot guns on bigger maps that focus on mid and long range fights.

Also desperately needs a deathmatch mode that has respawning and playing to a set score like every other shooter, rather than just kill the other team to win a round modes.

It won't have any of that stuff though, so I'll just play campaign and Horde like with Gears 2.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It just needs more game modes. Including some without shot guns on bigger maps that focus on mid and long range fights.

Also desperately needs a deathmatch mode that has respawning and playing to a set score like every other shooter, rather than just kill the other team to win a round modes.

It won't have any of that stuff though, so I'll just play campaign and Horde like with Gears 2.[/QUOTE]

They said they are adding a TDM mode with a set amount of respawns for the casuals.

[quote name='hustletron']They said they are adding a TDM mode with a set amount of respawns for the casuals.[/QUOTE]

Well I stand corrected and give them a round of :applause:.

Should just be unlimited respawns until someone hits the score limit though. It's no fun watching a round when you die early. Which happens often if you suck at online gaming like me!

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well I stand corrected and give them a round of :applause:.

Should just be unlimited respawns until someone hits the score limit though. It's no fun watching a round when you die early. Which happens often if you suck at online gaming like me![/QUOTE]

I feel exactly the same way. I am liking this gears 3 more and more.

[quote name='hustletron']LOL He's banned.

I like that the games turn into a shotgunfest when it gets close range the thing I don't like is the host/host's team usually dominates the shotgun battles and they hit you from so far away doing ridiculous damage. The shotguns wouldn't be so bad if the advantage was removed.[/QUOTE]

Thank God. I was beginning to wonder whether he'd/she'd/it would end up on my ignore list. The first and only that's for sure. Anyway you are preaching to choir my friend. I honestly wouldn't enjoy Gears as much if it dissolved into every other MP shooter I own with nearly every match lasting longer than it should because both teams want to wage unnecessary spawn camping wars with each other to see who is the alpha bitch of the pack. I'm sorry but the last thing I want to see during a 1v1 or 2v1 match is a bunch of idiots wasting my time by not rushing the poor sap together thus allowing them to plant a million frags in obvious places or pick and choose which power weapon he or she is in the mood to clutch with. There's absolutely no excuse for time to run out with those odds especially when 99.9% of time the game hasn't even reached its third round yet. What are you afraid of? Hell by the time you actually HAVE downed the other clown time is going to run out before you can close the gap to execute them. That's assuming both of you aren't host to begin with... ugh.

As I've said in the past Warzone (and quite a few others if host advantage didn't exist) is exactly the game type where shotgun rushing isn't going to get you anywhere except waiting to respawn into the next round if you're playing against a good team hence why I can't stand it. I loathe camping because (IMO) it takes roughly the same amount of skill to two piece as it does to sit in cover or a corner for hours hard aiming your life out from different positions on the map like a damn statue. Said style of play bores me to absolute tears. Host advantage, lag and terrible randoms were the only reasons most WZ matches dissolved into EX-Lite because players knew from jump street they could survive a half/full clips of active rounds just long enough to walk away unscathed with a guaranteed kill. Very little of it had anything do with Gnasher weapon damage and everything to do with who had the better connection.

You can blame the terrible net code and guaranteed lag Gears 2 had to offer for screwing up weapon balance overall.

This ^ is why I almost always play horde mode in Gears 2. You can't really cheat, no one cares about host advantage or lag. That being said, if Gears 3 fixes those problems then I'll jump into every mode headfirst.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well I stand corrected and give them a round of :applause:.

Should just be unlimited respawns until someone hits the score limit though. It's no fun watching a round when you die early. Which happens often if you suck at online gaming like me![/QUOTE]

The system they said would be in place is you have a set amount of respawns in TDM once 1 team hits the end of the respawns it turns into warzone.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']

You can blame the terrible net code and guaranteed lag Gears 2 had to offer for screwing up weapon balance overall.[/QUOTE]

Yeah pretty much.

I didn't try out the Gears2 MP, and I only played about a week or so of Gears1 MP, which pretty much turned into Gears of Shotguns. It was super annoying, I wanted to play a cover based shooter about flanking and making sure you aren't leaving yourself open to flanking, but it ended up being players running to each other, dive-rolling around and blindly shooting their shotgun or trying to tag one another with grenade (which is cool, don't get me wrong). It just wasn't fun.

Here's hoping Gears3 doesn't turn out like that. And if it does, then SP and Horde mode will suffice.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I didn't try out the Gears2 MP, and I only played about a week or so of Gears1 MP, which pretty much turned into Gears of Shotguns. It was super annoying, I wanted to play a cover based shooter about flanking and making sure you aren't leaving yourself open to flanking, but it ended up being players running to each other, dive-rolling around and blindly shooting their shotgun or trying to tag one another with grenade (which is cool, don't get me wrong). It just wasn't fun.

Here's hoping Gears3 doesn't turn out like that. And if it does, then SP and Horde mode will suffice.[/QUOTE]

This x1000

That's exactly why I stopped playing gears. Shotgun rushing and dive rolling is not a cover based shooter.

Got the latest OXM over the weekend and they reveal a ton of stuff. Seems like they'll have a customization system similar to Halo Reach's cR...They had pictures of Cole in his football uniform, and Lancers with different schemes. The biggest thing that caught my attention, was the Locust queen was finally revealed...and she looks like a human with a Locust skinned outfit.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Got the latest OXM over the weekend and they reveal a ton of stuff. Seems like they'll have a customization system similar to Halo Reach's cR...They had pictures of Cole in his football uniform, and Lancers with different schemes. The biggest thing that caught my attention, was the Locust queen was finally revealed...and she looks like a human with a Locust skinned outfit.[/QUOTE]

The cole outfit is just another skin, which has been stated before. I dont think you will be able to customize the characters, but they might have alternate skins. The guns though have a lot of different designs you can use. Personally i would rather have less customization, leave that stuff for halo and call of duty.

I just noticed this, I'm probably behind, but Amazon is running a $20 game credit once again for preorders of Gears 3 and seeing as how they kind of dropped the ball with Black Ops, what with removing the gaming credit then running another one so close to launch, maybe it would be a good time to preorder your copy and lock in your $20 credit.

I just completed my order and they won't charge till the game ships.

Meh, im waiting for the collectors edition to be announced before i go pre ordering Gears3.

Plus im hoping they do they same thing for gears 3, as they did with the halo reach console.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy Bulletstorm "Epic" edition and get access to GoW3 Beta:

http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/kotaku/full/~3/hx4dNnsh8yo/buy-bulletstorm-epic-edition-get-into-gears-of-war-3-beta-early

I already had mine pre-ordered at EA so I'm good :). The "Epic" edition is a free limited upgrade to the LE, kinda like what EA did with Medal Of Honor, and NFS: Hot Pursuit.

http://www.amazon.com/Bulletstorm-E...CC2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292630596&sr=8-1

For a limited time, pre-order Bulletstorm and receive a free upgrade to Bulletstorm - Epic Edition, which contains the full version of Bulletstorm plus early access to the Gears of War 3 beta, Peace Maker Carbine, boots and armor, 25,000 experience points, and visual upgrades for the iconic leash. Pre-order offer ends on February 21, 2011.

So wait only the Epic Edition includes early access? Wack. I hadn't planned on missing Bulletstorm but with Kmart destroying its competition with irresistible deals I intended on skipping a pre-order altogether. I hope they clarify soon because I can't pass up the opportunity to evaluate Gears 3 asap. I don't want to add another regret title to my collection.

Im disappointed they went the crackdown/halo route. It doesnt surprise me, but as someone who played the shit out of gears 2, got to level 100, they give early beta access to people who pay for it. Why not give it to people who played your previous game to death? I dont have a job, so i cant afford to pay 60 bucks for a beta, not when i plan to plop down 100 to 150 for the gears 3 limited edition that will most likely be announced sometime in 2011. Who knows, they might even have a 400 dollar xbox 360 slim Gears 3 edition. Hopefully there will be a free beta download at some point. I love gears, but i dont have the money to buy a beta.

everywhere I've seen it as "early access to gow3 beta" which makes me think there will be other ways in

edit: from cliffs twitter

@therealcliffyb
Cliff Bleszinski
http://$$$$$$$/ibjhoR Bulletstorm is coming in an EPIC EDITION. Oh, also, with early access to the Gears 3 beta.

I seriously hope dedicated servers make it into Gears 3, Gears 2 was such a clusterfuck with lag. I work nights and get off work at 8 in the morning and most Amercan players are at work and me and my friends would get matched up with nothing but Taiwan, Spain, or Afghanistan hosts...I've never raged quitted as many times in a single game as much as I did in Gears 2.

[quote name='KingNothing09']I seriously hope dedicated servers make it into Gears 3, Gears 2 was such a clusterfuck with lag. I work nights and get off work at 8 in the morning and most Amercan players are at work and me and my friends would get matched up with nothing but Taiwan, Spain, or Afghanistan hosts...I've never raged quitted as many times in a single game as much as I did in Gears 2.[/QUOTE]

I like it when people rage quit.

Especially when I or one of my buddys has host, and we are very sure we are in the continental U.S.

Rage quitters.

[quote name='Amblix']I like it when people rage quit.

Especially when I or one of my buddys has host, and we are very sure we are in the continental U.S.

Rage quitters.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Why would you like it if people rage quit when you have host? That just leaves you with less people to kill.

I also hope Gears 3 has dedicated servers. Gears 2 was by far my favorite MP game. It was just annoying when lag was effecting it.[/QUOTE]
I haven't played since last year. It's just funny and entertaining.

My K/d was above 4.0, while my W/l ratio ws like .950something, when it first came out I joined alot of random games, then I found alot of friend played and started winning. So it made it easier to get my W/l up as well. :)

[quote name='Amblix']I like it when people rage quit.

Rage quitters.

Apparently there are a lot of Gears 3 files for the beta on the Bulletstorm disc.

Spoilers ahead, including map names, lancer skins, characters, and chapter names.

Map List:
Aftermath
Artillery
Azura
Blood Drive
Dry Dock
Clocktower
Cove
Day One
Old Town
Gridlock
Checkout
Hotel
Jacinto
Mercy
Overpass
River
Rustlung
Sandbar
Thrashball
Trenches
Lancer Skins:
Gold
Chrome
Omen
Tribal
Camo
Digital
Deadly Cute (Pink)
Garish
Black
There are also characters listed as well as all the Chapters. Check out the vid as it is too much to type.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4t0gvIKGiU

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']
Clock Tower
being back is the best news I've heard about this game in a while :cool:[/QUOTE]

Amen. What I don't understand is how
River and Day One made the cut. #-o

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Amen. What I don't understand is how
River and Day One made the cut. #-o
[/QUOTE]
I can understand River, since I've been a part of some pretty badass matches on there, but Day One kind of blows my brain. If the glitches on River rear their ugly head on Gears 3 like they did early on for Gears 2, I will want to quit gaming.

I loathe River with a passion due largely in part to the Boomshot placement. I've always thought they should have either reversed it with Mortar or kept it completely out because it's way too close to spawn for my tastes. Randoms never rush it and coherent teams have to if they aim to control the match. If no one is there to stop you from picking it up nailing Torque/Snipe pick ups is child's play.

Day One on the other hand is a prime example of terrible map design and choice of power weapon spawn in general. COGs have a spawn advantage to Torque and Hammer making it an uphill battle especially if you're up against host or lagging which was all too often. Mortar is worthless to pick up a large majority of the time while Sniper is near suicidal because of the roof glitch.

Since I obviously never cared for either map I'm skeptical the updated versions will change my mind.

Just in case anyone is doubting the source. If that dude is in CP then it is probably legit. Those guys are/were the leaders in finding exploits in Gears.

I can write in all spoilers too... >_>

Is anyone hyped for Gears 3 enough to buy a copy of Bulletstorm at a sub-$60 price point, with an unused beta key? I intend on getting Bulletstorm, but I don't want to play Gears 3, and figure I'll be bored of Bulletstorm by April-ish, when the beta starts.

I figure 7 extra days in the beta could be pretty worthwhile for someone who adores Gears. Especially since betas usually don't last longer than 2-3 weeks.

Blood Drive was my favorite map in Gears 2 and I hope the leaked files means it's coming back in Gears 3.

This will sound ignorant, but why would Bulletstorm have all that info? Unless this is going to be a huge beta, which I doubt...

I hate the bullshots Epic Games releases for this game.

Edit:
L.M.A.O. They really jumped the shark with that Locust Queen design.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='seanr1221']
Blood Drive was my favorite map in Gears 2 and I hope the leaked files means it's coming back in Gears 3.

This will sound ignorant, but why would Bulletstorm have all that info? Unless this is going to be a huge beta, which I doubt...
[/QUOTE]

I agree, it seems weird that the game would have that much info within the disc. I highly doubt the beta will have all that content in it, so it seems weird that the info about the game that's on the disc looks like the entire game's worth.

played the shit out of Gears 2 (still need 100k kills though). I might end up getting Bulletstorm just for the Beta... then afterwords maybe get achievements in Gears 1!

Just came from the multiplayer press event. The embargo for our news coverage lifts Thursday night. Cliffy B and a special guest were there. You might be able to guess who.

Well looks like im gunna have to buy bulletstorm now to get into the beta for sure. Turns out you unlock stuff like the gold retro lancer that has flames on the sides of it, coles football uniform, and other stuff by beta only. I cant pass on that good stuff.

bread's done
Back