Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

[quote name='The 7th Number']Well looks like im gunna have to buy bulletstorm now to get into the beta for sure. Turns out you unlock stuff like the gold retro lancer that has flames on the sides of it, coles football uniform, and other stuff by beta only. I cant pass on that good stuff.[/QUOTE]

Cosmetic stuff, but certainly cool to have.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']any guarantee that you need a code AND Bulletstorm disc for the beta?[/QUOTE]

Yes its like halo 3 was with crackdown. They even said dont throw away the disc because you need it. Last night i put bulletstorm in and there is already an option saying gears of war 3 beta under the regular menu. But you cant select it.

Would love to get into the Beta (I've never been in a Beta before!) considering I've played the hell out of GoW2 (all cheevos but 100k kills and lvl 100), but I don't need to be. GoW3 is a day-one purchase, Beta or not.

I would like to get in the Beta but I'm not going to buy Bulletstorm just to get in. I'm just assuming there will be other ways to get in but if not I won't sweat it. It's not like I won't buy GoW3 if I can't get in the beta, I'm buying it no matter what.

Gears 3's beta, which is estimated to last "at least two to three weeks" when it launches this spring, is an opportunity for players to unlock virtual goods in the retail release, due in September for the Xbox 360. Gold-colored weapons and a special Thrashball uniform, Epic Games hopes, will motivate Gears of War fans to partake in the beta.
"It's all cosmetic — but cosmetic is powerful," Bleszinski says of the unlockable virtual items, which also include a "Flaming fucking Lancer" gun for those who own Bullestorm.

Kotaku

Glad i own a copy of bulletstorm. Flaming Lancer sounds really sweet. :D

So I'm assuming the GOW3 beta will be open to public, where whoever wants it can download it off jthe xbox marketplace. But if you have bulletstorm you get early access. I have bulletstorm, just finished it and am considering selling it while it's worth $40, but I don't want to miss out on the beta all together

Only the special Epic Edition nets you early access (about a week) to the beta. Vanilla copies will get you in just not before everyone else.

If you're not real interested in Bulletstorm, IMO it would be better to try and get in on the public beta. As far as I know the "public" beta will just a free-for-all first come first serve type of deal for a while, but not everyone who wants in will get in even after it goes "public"

so it may appear now the way into the beta is to have Bulletstorm, or by pre-ordering gears of war 3 and you acquire a beta code that way

There's also an array of unlockables up for grabs for the full version of Gears 3 by playing the beta, such as a gold retro Lancer, Cole's Thrashball outfit, a flaming Hammerburst, flaming Lancer, a flaming Gnasher shotgun, flaming Sawn-Off and a lovely beta tester medal.
Man thats sweet, hopefully i can unlock all those. I hope they have a meter that fills up, or a way to confirm you unlocked something like the flaming lancer so you can make sure you dont miss anything. ill be getting the 150 package. Im still hoping they release a gears of war xbox 360 like they did with halo reach.

Gears of War 3 Beta Unlockables:
  • Beta Tester Medal - Complete one match in the beta to unlock the Beta Tester medal, which will carry over to your gamer profile in the final game. The Beta Tester title will be featured in the "Gears 3" multiplayer lobby as well.
  • Thrashball Cole - Complete 50 matches in any game type to unlock the Thrashball Cole character variant in the beta. Once unlocked, complete 10 matches as Thrashball Cole during the beta and the character will carry over to your gamer profile in the final game.
  • Gold-Plated Retro Lancer - Show your ultimate "Gears of War" fandom by unlocking the Gold-Plated Retro Lancer. Complete 90 matches in any game type to unlock it for the beta, and score 100 kills with it once unlocked to carry the exclusive weapon skin over to your gamer profile in the final game.
  • Flaming Hammerburst - Complete one match by Sunday, April 24 and unlock this weapon variant.
  • Flaming Lancer - Complete one match during the week of April 25 and unlock this weapon variant.
  • Flaming Sawed-Off Shotgun - Complete one match during the week of May 2 to unlock this weapon variant.
  • Flaming Gnasher Shotgun - Complete one match during the week of May 9 to unlock this weapon variant.

So looks like Bulletstorm owners will get a week more to complete these challenges, and are the only ones who can unlock the flaming hammerburst.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The 7th Number']Man thats sweet, hopefully i can unlock all those. I hope they have a meter that fills up, or a way to confirm you unlocked something like the flaming lancer so you can make sure you dont miss anything. ill be getting the 150 package. Im still hoping they release a gears of war xbox 360 like they did with halo reach.[/QUOTE]
As long as I can play as Anya with the pink lancer, I'm good. :)

Seriously, this game cannot come soon enough. I still have this preordered from way back in the ECA stackable discount code days, so after Amazon's $20 cert my final price is like $22. I really would like to keep that rather than shelling out for a CE. So Epic, keep Anya and the pink lancer in the basic edition please!

Gamestop has their say in this as well, looks like "public beta" will require a pre-order code...

When does the Gears of War 3 Public beta actually begin?

A: The Gears of War 3 Public beta will begin on Friday, April 25, 2011.

Q: I purchased BulletStorm: Epic Edition for Xbox 360 and a Gears of War 3 beta code was included with my copy of BulletStorm: Epic Edition. Is that the same beta?

A: The Public Beta begins 4/25. You can gain access to this beta ONLY by pre-ordering Gears of War 3 at GameStop
. The beta included with BulletStorm: Epic Edition will begin seven days prior and can only be accessed by purchasing BulletStorm: Epic Edition for Xbox 360. Have a question that isn't answered above? Email GameStop's Customer Service team here at [email protected].

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/gears-of-war-3/default.aspx

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What's the bonus for the Bulletstorm beta?[/QUOTE]

1 week early, and only way to unlock the flaming hammerburst.

Gears of War 3 Beta Unlockables:
  • Beta Tester Medal - Complete one match in the beta to unlock the Beta Tester medal, which will carry over to your gamer profile in the final game. The Beta Tester title will be featured in the "Gears 3" multiplayer lobby as well.
  • Thrashball Cole - Complete 50 matches in any game type to unlock the Thrashball Cole character variant in the beta. Once unlocked, complete 10 matches as Thrashball Cole during the beta and the character will carry over to your gamer profile in the final game.
  • Gold-Plated Retro Lancer - Show your ultimate "Gears of War" fandom by unlocking the Gold-Plated Retro Lancer. Complete 90 matches in any game type to unlock it for the beta, and score 100 kills with it once unlocked to carry the exclusive weapon skin over to your gamer profile in the final game.
  • Flaming Hammerburst - Complete one match by Sunday, April 24 and unlock this weapon variant.
  • Flaming Lancer - Complete one match during the week of April 25 and unlock this weapon variant.
  • Flaming Sawed-Off Shotgun - Complete one match during the week of May 2 to unlock this weapon variant.
  • Flaming Gnasher Shotgun - Complete one match during the week of May 9 to unlock this weapon variant.

Here is a picture of the Beta tester medal you get...

headbon.png

This is what the flaming lancer will look like. But the flames are animated. Also Epic staff will have a liquid metal type of animated skin for their guns so you know who they are.

81068436.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Never really understood the fascination with flaming items on your body in a mutiplayer match. Sure it looks cool but it only makes you stand out more on the map then the others with the normal guns. Does anyone know what the Gears of War 3 epic editon is gonna have in it? Was browsing the Gamestop website and they have it listed but no details on whats in it.

[quote name='Spanky']Never really understood the fascination with flaming items on your body in a mutiplayer match. Sure it looks cool but it only makes you stand out more on the map then the others with the normal guns. Does anyone know what the Gears of War 3 epic editon is gonna have in it? Was browsing the Gamestop website and they have it listed but no details on whats in it.[/QUOTE]

There are no details, all i know for sure is its the limited edition plus more, which was confirmed by Rod on twitter.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I assume the flaming weapons will carry over into the main game?[/QUOTE]

Only if you play the beta, each week is a different weapon to unlock the flames for, first week is for hammerburst which only bulletstorm beta players can get. Then yes they carry over into the retail game. But if you are hoping for DLC or it to be released for non beta people, that isnt going to happen.

the code is on the receipt so if you copy the code to something/or keep the receipt. you might be good. cant activate it until april

Yeah, the split-screen is actually surprisingly well-implemented with Black Ops.

I gotta go preorder Gears 3 to get into the beta...

Think I'm gonna preorder from GS, then cancel my preorder, since that seems like an easy/cheap way to get into the Beta. I wonder how much Beta codes are going to go for on ebay??

What do you all think the epic edition of gears 3 will and should include? At $150 it better be some good stuff. Do you think there will be any chance of seeing a gears 3 limited edtion 360? I'd love to see something done like the halo reach edition but gearified.

bread's done
Back