Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

Flaming Retro? Lame if that's the case. Free is free though so I'll take it. Any word on if it's an ACTUAL event that affects the War Supporter medal?

[quote name='knightsmith']I know that they need to do something to unlock the flaming retro-lancer but It said exclusive skin that makes me think more of a skin set. and not just one gun. Plus a month to get it. got to be something better then that.[/QUOTE]

yeah just like gears of war 2 level 100s reward... right? Oh wait. Yeah its probably flaming retro.

I just need doorman, aficionado, and force multiplier and I'll have all the onyx medals in campaign. Then I can start working on Beast mode. Seriously 3.0 isn't going to be nearly as hard as it originally seemed especially now since there suppose to be fixing the Vengeful medal.

Anyone interested in doing beast mode for medals? I figure with a group of 3-4 dedicated guys we can get all the oynx medals in a week or 2 if we do beast mode at least 10 times per day.

^
You are going to have hard time with the Onyx Allfathers Medal (3,000 matches of each gametype). I don't know how you are going to do it without going idle, since Epic may ban you for that.

i'd say, hire a sibling, roomie, or independent contractor to play your account while you're away dealing w/real life issues...I've come to accept somethings are either just not worth the time and effort or just impossible to achieve. i.e. all of DDR's achievements.

Breaking news... from rods twitter...

Hardcore #Gearsweekend - Gnasher Only Playlist, Warzone/Execution get 5 rounds and original stalemates and public Horde becomes "Hardcore"

Not exactly what i wanted, but gnashers only sounds pretty cool.

[quote name='popular penguin']^
You are going to have hard time with the Onyx Allfathers Medal (3,000 matches of each gametype). I don't know how you are going to do it without going idle, since Epic may ban you for that.[/QUOTE]

I'm just gonna keep idling matches. If Epic wants to ban me so be it. They can only ban me from playing online and you dont need to play online to unlock Seriously 3.0 so I don't really care. Also Im pretty sure this was said just to scare people just like when Microsoft said they would ban people who use unofficial HDDs and when Sony said they would ban people for using homebrew on their PS3s both of which never happened.

Yeah i tried to ask rod twice on twitter if i would be banned for idle boosting in private and he didnt answer. :(

@GearsViking Will i be banned from #Gears3 if i boost for medals in PRIVATE matches AFK? If you dont answer ill take that as a no.

:D

[quote name='The 7th Number']Breaking news... from rods twitter...

Not exactly what i wanted, but gnashers only sounds pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

If we're doing Gnashers only for this event, I hope we eventually get an event that is rifles only, no shotguns at all.

I guess it is a scare tactic. I remember that people were supposed to be banned for the level 100 glitch in Gears 2. I don't think that happened either.

When they say "Gnashers only", I think that means sawed offs are not allowed.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Yeah i tried to ask rod twice on twitter if i would be banned for idle boosting in private and he didnt answer. :(

:D[/QUOTE]

questions like that usually go unanswered for a while...we've experienced that stuff on Reach.

Well damn idk what to do. I mean usually they make some kind of announcement about what would get you banned. Then again this is epic, so who knows.

Someone suggested Cluckshot special event on twitter the other night, that would be pretty hilarious to play. :)

you figure, it's better to not say what is bannable so ppl won't try their best to work around it...sometimes just the fear of being banned for questionable activity works for a while. it's only a matter of time before the word gets out what will get you banned, how often, etc. Reach was a good example, ppl figured out that you wouldn't get banned if you only idle boosted FF every few games. I suppose if everytime you did everyone actually tagged you as quitting early etc it might speed the process.

I see this as a soft control to help others who aren't as efficient at boosting medals to catch up in lvls etc. in the end, whatever floats your boat.

saw this guy w/the golden hunter and a gold medal as his lvl...the guy pretty much carried his team every round. I almost felt bad I wasn't contributing until about 4 matches in. whichever team he was on, they always one except once. bleh...never saw someone stick and move so much, almost felt like I was playing in slow motion.

a lot fun nonetheless.

New expansion DLC announced. This time it's single player campaign (3 hours), 6 multiplayer characters, and a "Chocolate Weapons Set." The DLC is part of the Season Pass package.

http://kotaku.com/5851677/gears-of-war-expansion-adds-three-hours-to-campaign-and-chocolate-guns

For $15 on December 13, you'll be able to add three hours to Gears of War 3's storyline campaign by downloading a new expansion to the game called RAAM's Shadow. You'll also be able to play as a bad guy in it.

The creators of Gears of War 3 spilled details on the second big downloadable content release for September's Xbox 360 exclusive today, promising that RAAM's Shadow will add more than three hours of gameplay through a mini-campaign set after Emergence Day, the event that triggered the war that has been raging through the three Gears games. Emergence Day preceded the events of the original Gears of War by 14 years.

In RAAM's Shadow, you'll be playing as members of Zeta squad, including Michael Barrick from the Gears comics, Lt. Minh Young Kim from the first game, Tai Kaliso from the second and a new character named Alicia Valera. Players will also play as RAAM, essentially taking on the role of one of the end boss of the first Gears of War as he storms a human stronghold.

The $15 expansion will also add six characters to multiplayer, an opportunity for 250 Achievement points and the Chocolate Weapons Set, which is presumably a silly, alternate array of guns for multiplayer. Yummy!

Those who bought the Gears of War 3 season pass will get RAAM's Shadow as part of their pass.

so...w/the new chocolate wpn's set, does that include the Mortar? I want to be able to "Chocolate Rain" on my opponants. (i couldn't resist)

...100% krakow!

Sounds pretty good, can't wait to see the chocolate weapons.

Also, since all of the Horde Command Pack content is already on the disc, but the stuff in the subsequent DLCs apparently isn't, I guess we're going to start seeing compatibility packs for Gears. I wonder if they will be mandatory or how that will be handled.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ryuukishi']Also, since all of the Horde Command Pack content is already on the disc, but the stuff in the subsequent DLCs apparently isn't, I guess we're going to start seeing compatibility packs for Gears. I wonder if they will be mandatory or how that will be handled.[/QUOTE]

I'd imagine they'll have to be mandatory. I don't know how else you'd do new multiplayer characters in a game with someone who doesn't have the DLC. I guess they could just make the new characters Marcus or whatever from the perspective of someone who doesn't own the DLC, but that wouldn't be advertising the new DLC to people who don't have it yet. You'd think Epic would want people to see other gamers playing as Kim, for example, to encourage them to buy the DLC.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I'd imagine they'll have to be mandatory. I don't know how else you'd do new multiplayer characters in a game with someone who doesn't have the DLC. I guess they could just make the new characters Marcus or whatever from the perspective of someone who doesn't own the DLC, but that wouldn't be advertising the new DLC to people who don't have it yet. You'd think Epic would want people to see other gamers playing as Kim, for example, to encourage them to buy the DLC.[/QUOTE]
Street Fighter IV's costume packs were the exact same issue, but they're optional. I'm not even sure Microsoft would allow mandatory compatibility packs. Title updates are mandatory but there are strict limits on how big they can be.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Any pics of the DLC?[/QUOTE]

Only pics i see is this backshot of RAAM

AWESOME! I think its cool to see 6 new characters, and a 3 hour campaign at a time before RAAM dies. I was hoping you would be RAAM though, and see his side of things. But still this is more exciting than the horde command pack for me. As for the chocolate guns, how is that going to look any different than regular black guns? LOL

[quote name='The 7th Number']I was hoping you would be RAAM though, and see his side of things.[/QUOTE]
There apparently is a part of the campaign where you play as RAAM (why all caps anyway, what does it stand for?) and wreck shop on some humans.

[quote name='100xp']RAAM is always angry, that's why he uses all CAPS...all the time.[/QUOTE]
I was pretty angry during the 20 tries it took me to beat him... on Casual. :cold:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I was pretty angry during the 20 tries it took me to beat him... on Casual. :cold:[/QUOTE]

im trying to play through the 2 previous gears on and off, I heard RAAM was quite the boss. hopefully towards the end, I'll be able to recruit some veteran help and make him fertilizer.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I was pretty angry during the 20 tries it took me to beat him... on Casual. :cold:[/QUOTE]

LMAO.

I cant wait to wreck shop against humans with RAAM. I believe the procedure goes... Lift, Stab, Throw (repeat)

[quote name='The 7th Number']LMAO.

I cant wait to wreck shop against humans with RAAM. I believe the procedure goes... Lift, Stab, Throw (repeat)[/QUOTE]

I hope that the controls & cam for RAAM look and feel like the heavies & Kantus in beast

[quote name='The 7th Number']LMAO.[/QUOTE]
RAAM could kill Dom just by looking at him funny. Gears 1 on Casual was 100x harder than 3 on Hardcore. :lol:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']RAAM could kill Dom just by looking at him funny. Gears 1 on Casual was 100x harder than 3 on Hardcore. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Gears 1 played really fast Vs. 2 & 3

[quote name='100xp']im trying to play through the 2 previous gears on and off, I heard RAAM was quite the boss. [/QUOTE]
Just have someone be a decoy while the other person moves for the Troika on the far opposite side of you. Let him unleash the Kryll on you and just hold down the trigger on the Troika. He'll fall into chunks faster than the Kryll can fly to you.

I still occasionally jump into random Insane Cooperative games to help people for just this reason, as AI Dom is too much of a liability, and not many people play that game anymore.

But the hardest part of Gears of War is driving the junker on Insane...especially in Cooperative. If there's one thing Gears of War 3 did correctly, it's not having a driving sequence.

@the ebbtide - yeah...i'm not up to that part yet, I just got past the berserker, when I need a break from 3 I go back to 1 and eventually 2. thanks for the tips though. i'll look for you on the battlefield when the time comes.

There is also the RAAM glitch where he gets stuck by the block, i think thats how i beat it on insane. I really cant remember. Me and a friend beat RAAM recently and it was easier than i thought. Just load up on torque bows and nades!

[quote name='The 7th Number']There is also the RAAM glitch where he gets stuck by the block, i think thats how i beat it on insane. I really cant remember. Me and a friend beat RAAM recently and it was easier than i thought. Just load up on torque bows and nades![/QUOTE]
Yeah, if he gets stuck it's a sign from the Allfathers that RAAM must die.

Or lose weight.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Just have someone be a decoy while the other person moves for the Troika on the far opposite side of you. Let him unleash the Kryll on you and just hold down the trigger on the Troika. He'll fall into chunks faster than the Kryll can fly to you.

I still occasionally jump into random Insane Cooperative games to help people for just this reason, as AI Dom is too much of a liability, and not many people play that game anymore.

But the hardest part of Gears of War is driving the junker on Insane...especially in Cooperative. If there's one thing Gears of War 3 did correctly, it's not having a driving sequence.[/QUOTE]I could never get the troika option to work although I only tried a few times and it seemed impossible so I just did it the old fashioned way.

Oddly enough I only died once in the junker mission on casual when I couldn't tell where the kryll were coming from. Not once on the harder difficulties. After hearing all the horror stories about it I was ready to crush a controller in rage, but musta gotten lucky.

[quote name='The 7th Number']There is also the RAAM glitch where he gets stuck by the block, i think thats how i beat it on insane. I really cant remember. Me and a friend beat RAAM recently and it was easier than i thought. Just load up on torque bows and nades![/QUOTE]Don't forget the longshot as well.

where are these codes for the beta unlocks coming from? damn Epic saying there'd be no way to get them if you didn't play the beta

also Gears 1 Insane... must have wasted over an hour on Raam. I told my friend it lets just stay withthe lancer at him since he was sniping and I was using boltok/lancer once the shield was down. lancer only would have worked but was taking too long and we died eventually. I then told him lets go find a torque bow... he grad torque and a longshot while I had longshot and lancer. The torque takes out the shield and literally within 2 minutes the credits were rolling :applause:

lol tl;dr. Use a torque bow on Raam's shield.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Hardcore is live and absolutely scrumptious.[/QUOTE]

I might have to pull myself away from Arkham City for this. But only for a bit. ;)

Beware: The Gnasher of War 3 remarks are actually funny now because they ARE true!

Strictly Gnasher and Snub Pistol w/ Infinite Ammo and Must Active Mutators. SOS scrubs and rifle enthusiasts were warned. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a permanent classic playlist without Retro and SOS in the future. If only Epic would admit what type of game play made their multiplayer popular in the first place. Hmm...

How long does it take to go from 1-50 in Horde? I'd like to get a group together one night and complete this mode, the farthest I've ever gotten was wave 37 with some random group and I'd love to be able to finally get the achievement.

Would also like to do a 4 player coop run on Insane and Arcade mode sometime.

bread's done
Back