Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

XP - TDM on the five new maps like 7th said.

Finally got a chance to play on Azura and my god is it a shitty map. Truly a paradise fit for a king... of f*cking campers. If Epic had added all the maps to private matches instead of just two I wouldn't have had to waste my time being terrorized on P2P public stuck on a reject team of 0.1 - 0.5 randoms in the first place. Social is truly bottom of the barrel now and unless you enjoy losing I suggest you avoid it alone. If Epic doesn't release more maps soon I may have to sell or shelve this permanently. I can barely muster up enough enthusiasm to find the game as it is and the few friends that have the time to play aren't even interested anymore. It's dreadfully boring and infuriating to touch without a decent team. Well... that's assuming you're actually connecting to real server cause I'm not. Gears 2 must have taken more out of me than I thought. It just doesn't feel the same anymore.

I played some tonight after not playing for months. Man it takes a while for me to get the groove back once i miss a chunk of time with this game. I was having gnasher problems, shooting blanks, IDK. I just hate when i shoot someone 5 times and he returns 2 shots from the same distance and i die. Or someone rolls right into my gun and i blast them and nothing. One guy jumped a barrier, so easy kill right? I line him up, blast him away and nope, he is still alive, had to shoot him a 2nd time to kill him. By then his teammates had me because the first shot screwed me over, which should have killed him easy. Also i still hate SOS, worst thing they did to the franchise.

You should probably not play the game anymore if you're not having fun. (InkSoWell and 7th). I see the same negative comments over and over in this thread from you two. The game isn't going to change, so I don't know why you keep playing it if you aren't enjoying it.

I don't play everyday anymore, but when I do, I still have fun. I'm not very good or ultra-competitive, so maybe that's why. It's a good game though. No, it's not Gears 1 or Gears 2; if you wanted more of the exact same game, just go back and play the old one(s) again.

[quote name='hustletron']I really enjoyed the maps the other night, however I'm not feeling the Silverback on Rustlung, seems out of place and unnecessary.[/QUOTE]
I played Rustlung in the Booster Playlist and the rounds never lasted long enough to generate one. Does it have Rockets in Versus? I'm curious as to how uneven it makes the match. Aside from the middle area, Rustlung seems like it's tight enough to not give a full advantage to a Silverback, unless you're spawn cornered.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']You should probably not play the game anymore if you're not having fun. (InkSoWell and 7th). I see the same negative comments over and over in this thread from you two. The game isn't going to change, so I don't know why you keep playing it if you aren't enjoying it.

.[/QUOTE]

agreed 100%

[quote name='PrarieD0G']You should probably not play the game anymore if you're not having fun. (InkSoWell and 7th).[/QUOTE]

I've actually done just that for weeks until the free map pack released and only put it in to check out those maps. Now that I have it's back on the shelf until my friends force me to play it. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's been quite some time since I contributed with any sense of frequency to this thread.

I see the same negative comments over and over in this thread from you two. The game isn't going to change, so I don't know why you keep playing it if you aren't enjoying it.

I beg to differ. The game actually has changed quite a bit since launch with various behind the scene weapon tweaks and the inclusion of the Alpha playlist to attract the hardcore back into the game. I still play Gears because I love the franchise, consider myself a part of that community and I can't form a decent opinion on those changes without playing the game.

If you have no interest in hearing our opinions then why bother reading something you could easily avoid? There's an ignore feature for a reason and I'm positive 90% of regulars here already use it or ignore our posts subconsciously. It's not a terribly difficult concept to grasp and an even easier one to practice. I do the same thing in other threads for other games without breaking a sweat instead of busting someone's chops about it because that requires much more energy to do than the latter.

I don't play everyday anymore, but when I do, I still have fun. I'm not very good or ultra-competitive, so maybe that's why. It's a good game though. No, it's not Gears 1 or Gears 2; if you wanted more of the exact same game, just go back and play the old one(s) again.

I never said wasn't a good game. It is. I just feel it could be much better than its current iteration and have gone on record genuinely complimenting Epic for giving enough of a damn to try pleasing everyone by fixing their mistakes. Not every single thing I say about this game is negative, but I honestly don't expect you to pay attention to everything I've said in here. The "go back to Gears 1/2" is one hell of a half-assed STFU esque remark though but also an almost entirely different discussion in general.

This weeks gears weekend is "this is my rifle" yeah so they just removed shot guns. Sounds rather boring to me.

I tweeted this to cliffy...

@therealcliffyb how about a #GearsWeekend where players run twice as fast, or instagib, or scorcher/incendiary, or tac-com shows everyone.

Seriously, they can come up with better stuff than rifles. -_- I think the tac com idea would be fun because no one can hide behind a corner, or try to camp it out.

Lol, damn someone got offended. I'm just saying man, why play something when you don't like it. Your posts are mostly negative/complaints about the game (and the game has been out for a few months already), so I was just observing--making inferences based on your patterns of posting. I guess I didn't know how you really felt about it overall; I can understand playing more because of friends. I know I personally wouldn't play a game if I wasn't having fun with it, though.

i think considering he may have already onyx'd 1 or even all 3 of the rifles and unlocked the golden guns, a playlist that doesn't really advance his onyx career as efficiently as he'd prefer is boring or not as an attractive playlist as others. i just play the social list once for credit then go back to other things if it's not to my liking. boom snipes concept was fun but not being used to sniping in gears as i am in reach, i pretty much handed out frags to anyone on higher ground.

I'm not able to play online, it says "to play online games, switch your party type to an xbox live enabled mode" but the 3 xbox live enabled modes are greyed out/unable to click. wtf?

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Lol, damn someone got offended. I'm just saying man, why play something when you don't like it. Your posts are mostly negative/complaints about the game (and the game has been out for a few months already), so I was just observing--making inferences based on your patterns of posting. I guess I didn't know how you really felt about it overall; I can understand playing more because of friends. I know I personally wouldn't play a game if I wasn't having fun with it, though.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't offended I just felt like responding man. Never understood the logic behind complaining about complainers myself but to each his own. As previously mentioned I rarely play this so you'll rarely know I'm here.

[quote name='The 7th Number']This weeks gears weekend is "this is my rifle" yeah so they just removed shot guns. Sounds rather boring to me.

I tweeted this to cliffy...

@therealcliffyb how about a #GearsWeekend where players run twice as fast, or instagib, or scorcher/incendiary, or tac-com shows everyone.

Seriously, they can come up with better stuff than rifles. -_- I think the tac com idea would be fun because no one can hide behind a corner, or try to camp it out.[/QUOTE]

Super speed + SOS sounds like a nightmare and that gun already fulfills the instagib quota as well. Scorcher/Incendiary is a great idea. I think this game has enough CoD influence that Tac-Com isn't necessary, but could be fun. I'm still curious as to why they haven't brought over some of the sillier Horde Mutators like Comet for instance. No guns, KOTH rings that last like 15 - 30 points, everyone roadie running around like morons for a kill. Too much work for too little gain I suppose. /shrug

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']this is pissing me off, cant find any info online how to fix this and just renewed a 3 month xbox live code to play some versus tonight, what a bunch of bs[/QUOTE]

Do you have more than one controller plugged in?

[quote name='100xp']i think considering he may have already onyx'd 1 or even all 3 of the rifles and unlocked the golden guns, a playlist that doesn't really advance his onyx career as efficiently as he'd prefer is boring or not as an attractive playlist as others. i just play the social list once for credit then go back to other things if it's not to my liking. boom snipes concept was fun but not being used to sniping in gears as i am in reach, i pretty much handed out frags to anyone on higher ground.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you were talking about me, but i dont have any onyx medals on any rifle. I have gold medal in lancer and bronze medal in hammerburst/retro. I just dont think it sounds fun because you can already play with rifles only. Sure it gets rid of shotties but its not that big of a difference really. Maybe it will help the community stop being shotgun rushers, and learn how to sit back and lancer/hammerburst more. IDK.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']
Super speed + SOS sounds like a nightmare and that gun already fulfills the instagib quota as well. Scorcher/Incendiary is a great idea. I think this game has enough CoD influence that Tac-Com isn't necessary, but could be fun. I'm still curious as to why they haven't brought over some of the sillier Horde Mutators like Comet for instance. No guns, KOTH rings that last like 15 - 30 points, everyone roadie running around like morons for a kill. Too much work for too little gain I suppose. /shrug[/QUOTE]

Yeah super speed + SOS sounds like trouble, but its only a weekend event remember. I think more events need to be more unique, fun, with weapons we dont use that much. Give us something special to look forward to, using rifles doesnt sound appealing, at least not to me.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']I'm not able to play online, it says "to play online games, switch your party type to an xbox live enabled mode" but the 3 xbox live enabled modes are greyed out/unable to click. wtf?[/QUOTE]

I cut/pasted your quoted message on google and found something on the EPIC community forum.
I guess people were getting banned, from EPIC.
On page 8..."People that are banned in Gears3 90% of the time are banned because they leaked footage from either the early players or the leaked build." - Joe Graf (Super Moderator) Epic Games.

Others have stated they got banned from EPIC for playing Gears1/2 on modded boxes and such.

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/824741-Can-t-play-online

Last edited by a moderator:
If people have requests for event ideas, you're better off requesting them on Epic's Forum page for Gears of War 3. They have a sticky request thread, and the response you get from members increases it's chance of getting through.

I found a fix for my problem, deleted gamertag and recovered it, and now playing on live fine. I was scared when I first read people with this same issue may have been banned, but realized quickly I've done absolutely nothing as far as leaking info or boosting or anything. It is weird though that I even had this problem, when thanksgiving weekend I was playing just fine online. it may have been since I just renewed my gold membership maybe that took a bit to kick in, who knows.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']I found a fix for my problem, deleted gamertag and recovered it, and now playing on live fine. I was scared when I first read people with this same issue may have been banned, but realized quickly I've done absolutely nothing as far as leaking info or boosting or anything. It is weird though that I even had this problem, when thanksgiving weekend I was playing just fine online. it may have been since I just renewed my gold membership maybe that took a bit to kick in, who knows.[/QUOTE]

I'm happy to hear things worked out for you.
That is weird that it happened and maybe you're right about it taking a while for gold to kick in.

@7th - even gold in a rifle is impressive, that's a ton of kills. an all rifles playlist isn't mandatory, it's optional for the social challenge. I do agree though that while it may not be very original, the mere fact it takes out shotguns is a nice change. most ppl complain about getting gibs from far away, I hardly see ppl use anything but the gnasher and sawed off. i'm more open to being gunned down by rifles from distance than wondering how in the world I got shotty'd to death from 15 ft away or my shots not killing at point blank range.

[quote name='100xp']@7th - even gold in a rifle is impressive, that's a ton of kills. an all rifles playlist isn't mandatory, it's optional for the social challenge. I do agree though that while it may not be very original, the mere fact it takes out shotguns is a nice change. most ppl complain about getting gibs from far away, I hardly see ppl use anything but the gnasher and sawed off. i'm more open to being gunned down by rifles from distance than wondering how in the world I got shotty'd to death from 15 ft away or my shots not killing at point blank range.[/QUOTE]

when everyone is using rifles though, you're gonna be going down a lot faster from long range, and it'll bug you a lot more than those shottys after a bit, guaranteed. especially if people start using those hammerbursts like one kid was today, he was averaging 20+ kills with it, maybe 3-5 bullets would put me down, was kinda suspect.

[quote name='100xp']i'll take getting rifled to death vs. an evade/shotty gib from 15 ft. away any day.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. A shotgun-free event? Count me in! I think I'm better with the rifles than the average player (who in turn is about 10x better than me with a shotty, because I suck with them), and I should be able to consistently get a positive K/D ratio with Lancers/Hammerbursts only.

I think this weekend will be fun. I really can't wait for all the Gnasher lovers to get on the forums to fuss about it. it is what it is. it's just for the weekend. you have to give epic some love for doing weekend events. The impossible mission event was over hyped by us.

Lets talk about the new maps... ive been playing the new map playlist, and its somewhat refreshing since there are some really bad maps that came on the disc.

Blood drive - its as good as i remember, plus they added the option to jump out of the window by spawn, but also its easier to shoot from outside the window into the inside. Overall this is still a good map. Had a match last night that was pretty campy though, most of the time we all camped our side of the map. The only time a team would push is when that team got the sniper/torque.

Azura - This map reminds me of Jacinto a bit. But its a good map that i like. Snipers on both sides makes it interesting. Not sure if the hammer of dawn works well though. I dont really see many teams rushing for it. The mulcher seems like a bad idea since there are two snipers on the map. They should replace that with something else. Maybe a mortar? But overall i like it.

Rustlung - This is an interesting map, and overall im happy with it. Some areas seem too wide open, but overall its a good map IMO. Ive seen a couple people actually get into the silverback, but both times there was like one player left on the other team. It takes a long time to show up. But i like this map so far.

Clocktower - I really think this might be my favorite map of the new maps. Its just a really good map. I dont know what else to say about it other than i like it a lot.

Bulletmarsh - Personally i dont like this map. There doesnt seem to be many areas to do battle on this map. Most of the fighting tends to be outside of someones spawn, because very often one of the teams will get spawn trapped. I usually spend most of my time near the incendiary nades, or right outside that area. But overall i dont really like it.

[quote name='knightsmith']I think this weekend will be fun. I really can't wait for all the Gnasher lovers to get on the forums to fuss about it. it is what it is. it's just for the weekend. you have to give epic some love for doing weekend events. The impossible mission event was over hyped by us.[/QUOTE]

well, they also don't have to play that event's playlist anyways.

I remember disliking Clock Tower back in the day, but I really dig the new update. Same goes for Bullet Marsh. Blood Drive was always one of my favs, and as far as Azura and Rustlung, great additions.

Just wish there were no 'Private' match achievements. I play at odd hours and I can never get enough people to get these achievements. :/

yeah its better than i thought it would be. I got into an execution gametype and it was pretty fun. Considered playing execution but then again that playlist has about 500 players at the time i looked, that cant be good for connections. -_-

Its pretty sad how many people left gears. They add retro and SOS to bring in casual gamers, and it doesnt seem to have worked. IMO they just made the game worse for those loyal fans who stick around like me. I know i bitch about SOS alot, but i do love gears. But looking at major nelsons statistics... MW3, and Blops are the top 2 games on xbox live...Battlefield, Fifa are also better than Gears 3. But even games like Halo Reach and MW2! are beating out gears 3. Thats pretty sad. Even during weekend events every week they cant pull in better numbers than that?

[quote name='The 7th Number']yeah its better than i thought it would be. I got into an execution gametype and it was pretty fun. Considered playing execution but then again that playlist has about 500 players at the time i looked, that cant be good for connections. -_-

Its pretty sad how many people left gears. They add retro and SOS to bring in casual gamers, and it doesnt seem to have worked. IMO they just made the game worse for those loyal fans who stick around like me. I know i bitch about SOS alot, but i do love gears. But looking at major nelsons statistics... MW3, and Blops are the top 2 games on xbox live...Battlefield, Fifa are also better than Gears 3. But even games like Halo Reach and MW2! are beating out gears 3. Thats pretty sad. Even during weekend events every week they cant pull in better numbers than that?[/QUOTE]

Gears is a lot harder to master. sure those kids can play with SOS and grab some kills, but they get their asses handed to them more often than not, and it's a frustrating game if you aren't good at it. I consider myself good and still get frustrated, can't imagine if i sucked. so thats why it doesnt surprise me they move right back on to cod which isn't as frustrating when you die (since its basically like paint ball, you just get hit, no death animation or anything). in gears you get chain sawed in half or blown away from behind with a shotgun and its painful as hell as a player when that happens. anyways, thats my look at it. Gears will never be as popular as COD, its more hardcore and they need to cater more to their core audience.

I was never good at Gears, and Gears 2, I was OK but no where near as good as I'm on Gears 3.

Out of all the 3 games, this is the most fun I've ever had on the MP. I absolutely love it. Yeah there are glitches here and there, but in the long run, it's still the best it's ever been for me.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I was never good at Gears, and Gears 2, I was OK but no where near as good as I'm on Gears 3.

Out of all the 3 games, this is the most fun I've ever had on the MP. I absolutely love it. Yeah there are glitches here and there, but in the long run, it's still the best it's ever been for me.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I still think I kind of suck, but I'm definitely having the most fun on Gears 3, and usually at least find myself finishing in at least the top half of players.

Me 3. I played gears 1 & 2 when they came out and just played it for the campaign on all levels; I never really got into the MP part of the game. For Gears 3, I've finished all levels of campaign and totally love playing Horde, and some of the MP events. And, I've only started playing beast mode.

@prairieDOG-Thanks for joining our horde. It sucks when a high level 'random' leaves so quickly, but you came to the rescue. I don't know what it was but I just sucked and couldn't help much..couldn't believe we only got to lvl 20. So, I decided when we all died, I'd shut off and relax/have dinner for a couple hours. When I got back on @~ 10pm, I finished a 'longhaul' with another group of randoms. This time the lowest level 'random' quit on us midway...too bad for him/her.

Any advice with countering people using the boomshield? I cant seem to figure out how to defeat them. Trying to get around them seems hopeless because they can turn around just as fast as i get around them.

Lately my gears of war 3 has been freezing my system on a black screen. Twice today so far, and once yesterday. Not sure if this is due to the newest dash update or not. But i dont remember Gears 3 ever freezing my console before. Anyone else having freezing problems?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Lately my gears of war 3 has been freezing my system on a black screen. Twice today so far, and once yesterday. Not sure if this is due to the newest dash update or not. But i dont remember Gears 3 ever freezing my console before. Anyone else having freezing problems?[/QUOTE]
Is this a new console? Usually, that was a precursor to the Red Lights for me. I hate to ask the dumb question, but are you're AV cables secure into the XBox and TV?

I've had it drop me from Live, yet when I went to the dashboard it said I was connected to Xbox Live. I restarted the game and had the same issue. Eventually, it just stopped.

Im using the Gears 3 xbox 360. I havent had any issues until lately, and there was a dashboard update on dec 1st. So it might just be that. I use VGA for my hookup. I hope its not my console.

It usually freezes when im joining a MP game in progress. Otherwise i have no problems.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Im using the Gears 3 xbox 360. I havent had any issues until lately, and there was a dashboard update on dec 1st. So it might just be that. I use VGA for my hookup. I hope its not my console.

It usually freezes when im joining a MP game in progress. Otherwise i have no problems.[/QUOTE]
VGA?

Composite Video:
An analog interface that uses a RCA style plug connection for 1 video (Yellow) connectors and jacks. It is also called Baseband. Composite only supports displaying video in 480i. High-Definition is not supported. A Composite connection will provide better video quality than an RF connection. The yellow composite video connection is used for VCR and standard TV hookups as well as other video connections such as a camcorder to a TV. Typically you will use 2 Audio (Red and White) connectors and jacks to provide the analog sound as the yellow connection is only video.

S-Video:
An analog interface that uses a 4-pin connection for video only. It is also called Y/C. An audio connection can be completed by using the Composite (Red and White) audio connections. S-Video only supports displaying video in 480i. An S-Video connection will provide better video quality than an RF connection.

Component Video:
An analog interface that uses a 3 wire connection for 3 components of the video (Red, Green, Blue). It is also called YPbPr. Component supports displaying video in 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. High-Definition is supported. An audio connection can be completed by using the Composite audio connections or SPDIF connections.

HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface):
A digital interface that uses a multi-pin connection for video and audio. HDMI supports video in 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i / 1080p. High-Definition is supported. The HDTV must support HDCP, otherwise the screen will be blank, without audio. Video between DVI-D and HDMI ports is compatible with a physical adapter, but audio would need to be connected separately. Generally HDMI is replacing DVI as a video interface.

I've had no probs with my Gears 3 LEC. well DEC 6th the new dash will be released so let's hope it fix your prob for ya.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Any advice with countering people using the boomshield? I cant seem to figure out how to defeat them. Trying to get around them seems hopeless because they can turn around just as fast as i get around them.[/QUOTE]
Use the pistol or hammerburst and aim at their feet.

[quote name='knightsmith']VGA?[/QUOTE]

Yeah i use this hookup.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']Use the pistol or hammerburst and aim at their feet.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the advice, last night i ran into one but luckily i had my sawed off. Been using the sawed off a little more recently because gnasher is inconsistent for me. But i eventually switched back to gnasher later.

I also use VGA for my 2nd 360, hooked to a projector & 100" screen.

Makes it easier for friends/family to get together and play rockband 2. Especially for us older gamers.
No way could we have done it with my main 360, hooked up to 20" CRT TV.l

[quote name='The 7th Number']Yeah i use this hookup.

thanks for the advice, last night i ran into one but luckily i had my sawed off. Been using the sawed off a little more recently because gnasher is inconsistent for me. But i eventually switched back to gnasher later.[/QUOTE]
Got cha. Output side of the cable.

I just noticed how they updated the nades on a few maps. Like Gridlock is always inks, and never smokes anymore. Thrashball is always nades, no more incendiaries.

Sometimes when im playing and someone throws a nade the character will say "throwing fire" and sometimes when they throw incendiary they will say "throwing nade" or something, i forget what they say. But it seems mixed up.

I think my problem with the gnasher lately is i try too many times to kill someone by hip firing it, and not pop shotting. But hip fire seems so weak and like you have to be exact. I know a few times i was right up against someone and shot 2-3 times hip fire and nothing. The spread must be really small or something. I just hate zooming because when you zoom you cant follow them because your aim is too slow. And i know hip fire can kill someone in one shot.

Hmmm i read over on epic forums someone said if you play in 720 res then you get 6 more fps. is this true? I tried to set mine to 720 but it wouldnt allow it. I have VGA and have it at the highest setting. I dont really want to go back to component hookup. :/

I would have you changed the cables for about an hour and try joining some matches then you will be able to see if it's the video settings/cable or if it's the xbox as a whole/game.

bread's done
Back