Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

I just paid off my GOW3 Epic edition at gamestop (Just untill I see who has the best pre-order deal) Oh they are going to tell everyone what's going to be in the L.E. and E.E. AT E3 I think June 6th? but anyway.. Love it the beta needs work but love that I am back on the sticks with gears again.

We get the "Better with Friends" codes ON May 8th, at least according to my email. So maybe we have until then to earn them?

[quote name='knightsmith']I just paid off my GOW3 Epic edition at gamestop (Just untill I see who has the best pre-order deal) Oh they are going to tell everyone what's going to be in the L.E. and E.E. AT E3 I think June 6th? but anyway.. Love it the beta needs work but love that I am back on the sticks with gears again.[/QUOTE]

Im hoping for NECA to make some sick book ends for the EE. 70 bucks is a big jump from LE to EE. Hopefully its packed with a few things, and not just a giant cole train bust, or lancer replica. Id rather have bookends, in game DLC thats for EE only like a lambent locust MP skin, theme/gamerpics/avatar gear and other stuff. Cant wait to see the reveal.

Man I missed the Amazon lancer deal. I just got a 360 just for gears of war 2! played 1 with a friend and went out and got one the next day and picked up gears of war 1 and didn't even know that gears of war 2 was coming out the next week. so I wouldn't have been able to pre-order it anyway. but I did find a L.E. and got the gold hammburst code for 3 bucks. Do you think they should make a 360 System bundle with a black and red xbox with the Cog logo on the power button and let it play the omen tune when you turn it on.

4get about flaming helmets it's all about flaming guns baby!

Played a couple more matches of KOTH. I really like Gears 3, but I have a few quirks that probably have been mentioned before.

- When you look at the Leaderboards, you're not on it even though your friends are
- I'm unsure if these "Unlock in Retail" skins are only for Beta Players or not (I hope not)
- I have no idea where the Grenades are on the map (Smokes SUCK)
- Why do I need to Unlock Executions?
- No Horde Mode in the Beta? Dissapointing

[quote name='KingBroly']Played a couple more matches of KOTH. I really like Gears 3, but I have a few quirks that probably have been mentioned before.

- When you look at the Leaderboards, you're not on it even though your friends are
- I'm unsure if these "Unlock in Retail" skins are only for Beta Players or not (I hope not)
- No Horde Mode in the Beta? Dissapointing[/QUOTE]

I'm on the leaderboards, so I'm not sure why you aren't seeing it. Maybe you need to play more.

The unlock in retail skins are only for beta players, that unlock them in the beta, for retail.

Smokes are very useful.

The rare times the mantle kick works, I freed my leader with it in CTL.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']what email are they sending these codes to?[/QUOTE]

It should be tied to the XBL account you play the beta on.

[quote name='KingBroly']Played a couple more matches of KOTH. I really like Gears 3, but I have a few quirks that probably have been mentioned before.

The grenades show up on the map at the start of the match. Also you can hold down LB during the round to see where the grenades are on your HUD.

Smokes are useful in that they stun people. Also they are very useful for CTL in that they can be used to free your leader.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's a beta, not a demo.

[quote name='skubish']The grenades show up on the map at the start of the match. Also you can hold down RB during the round to see where the grenades are on your HUD.

Smokes are useful in that they stun people. Also they are very useful for CTL in that they can be used to free your leader.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't LB show the HUD?

[quote name='Luxuria']It's a beta, not a demo.[/QUOTE]

They certainly aren't treating it like one. How many bugs have they fixed during this? I noticed earlier that I spawned directly in front of an opponent, who then proceeded to kill me. Reminds me of World at War. They didn't fix that either.

oh at first this crawling was a novelty and funny thing. now its just getting retarded having to get shot and wait to respawn/ or shoot a guy after already shooting him.

[quote name='KingBroly']They certainly aren't treating it like one. How many bugs have they fixed during this? I noticed earlier that I spawned directly in front of an opponent, who then proceeded to kill me. Reminds me of World at War. They didn't fix that either.[/QUOTE]

Many times ive seen on the epic forums, them say they fix something in the final game, but not the beta. So the beta is helping fix issues, but they arent fixing them in the beta, just the final game.

[quote name='seanr1221']...what?[/QUOTE]

Think he's referring to getting downed/downing somebody.

Edit: That's my 1000th post. What a waste. I need to spice it up.

Did you know that a 10-gallon hat barely holds 6 pints?

Did you know that all porcupines float in water?

Did you know that every time Beethoven sat down to write music, he poured ice water over his head?

And now for some celebration music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

Alright, back to the thread.

[quote name='timesplitt']oh at first this crawling was a novelty and funny thing. now its just getting retarded having to get shot and wait to respawn/ or shoot a guy after already shooting him.[/QUOTE]

Well I mean, that was in the first Gears, so Idk what to tell you

i dunno what these are worth so anything that pops into your head for trading wouldnt be a bad start

i really want the map pack for call of duty though lol

[quote name='moogle']sorry im a newbie. just searched gears of war and posted =\[/QUOTE]

Hell at least you searched before you posted :applause:, most of the newbies don't even bother searching.

[quote name='seanr1221']...what?[/QUOTE]

I think he's saying it should be like Gears 2 that if you're down you should just die. I disagree.

Also, I hope they fix the lock onto cover mechanic. People are moving into from so far away in this game it's not even funny.

What's the best way to revive yourself? When I'm down I keep mashing the A button, but sometimes when I'm crawling I manage to pick myself back up. Can't figure out how to do it consistently, though...

Stop crawling around. You have hold perfectly still for the mashing to have any sort of worthwhile effect on your revive time.

How do you do the Locust exeucution where you rip the guy's arm off and beat him with it? Is that tied to one particular character? What is the unlock criteria, if any?

Thanks!

I reached my 90th match last night and unlocked my golden retro lancer. Now, after playing one match with it, I need to get about 97 more kills with it, and I'll be all set for retail.

The execution you're talking about is their standard Y button execution. Any Locust character can do it but you have to equip a weapon that you haven't unlocked a special execution for otherwise that weapon's animation will take its place. Easiest way to guarantee it is to switch to your snub pistol and press Y. Works every time.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Stop crawling around. You have hold perfectly still for the mashing to have any sort of worthwhile effect on your revive time.[/QUOTE]

I think this is funny. One match an enemy and myself downed each other at the same time, i started mashing A as fast as i could without moving, yet the enemy was moving around and we both got up at the same time. So i dont know what the difference is. But in that situation there was none. I always thought i heard standing still would get you up faster, like you had to choose, but i didnt see it there.

That's the way it's supposed to work from the in-game explanation and has been for me, but there are so many random and isolated cases in this beta I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't consistent.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I think this is funny. One match an enemy and myself downed each other at the same time, i started mashing A as fast as i could without moving, yet the enemy was moving around and we both got up at the same time. So i dont know what the difference is. But in that situation there was none. I always thought i heard standing still would get you up faster, like you had to choose, but i didnt see it there.[/QUOTE]

Hence my confusion! Thanks for the advice, though.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I think this is funny. One match an enemy and myself downed each other at the same time, i started mashing A as fast as i could without moving, yet the enemy was moving around and we both got up at the same time. So i dont know what the difference is. But in that situation there was none. I always thought i heard standing still would get you up faster, like you had to choose, but i didnt see it there.[/QUOTE]

i thought tapping A only just makes you crawl faster? not get up faster? whenever a situation where me and someone else gets downed at the same time, we always get up at the same time or whoever got downed first. I've never had A get me up faster except just crawling. hence why i never bother tapping A anymore when i realized that. I just let it roll

During the Beta I was downed at the same time as my attacker, and I was able to get up a few seconds before him from mashing A. It could have been a connection issue, or something else I'm not aware of, but it seemed like hitting A rapidly was what got me up first. In other cases, I've had the same experience as what others are posting.

You'd figure by the 3rd game Epic would've have addressed this issue, since hitting A seemed to do absolutely nothing in Gears of War other than distract you from being paralyzed while waiting to bleed out or revive [from a teammate].

Maybe it's intentionally useless to combat turbo buttons or controllers?

Depends on the game type and players. Some games end in 2 or 3 minutes, others take 30 minutes. Team DM generally goes the quickest but CTL can very quick or very long depending on the skill levels of other players.

[quote name='nas6034']On the usual how long does it take to go thru a match? Want to get thrash cole and the golden lancer ASAP.[/QUOTE]
If you are going for Thrash Cole, I recommend playing TDM. It's the fastest matches.

For getting kills with the retro lancer, I play KOTH. It's easy to just bayonet charge into the crowd that is hanging around the ring.

[quote name='skubish']If you are going for Thrash Cole, I recommend playing TDM. It's the fastest matches.

For getting kills with the retro lancer, I play KOTH. It's easy to just bayonet charge into the crowd that is hanging around the ring.[/QUOTE]

Yea, TDM are very quick most of the time. CTL games can be fast too since most groups of randoms play it like it is TDM. KOTH can be very long, but they are great for farming kills once you unlock the gold retro.

For kills with the retro I think the bayonet charge is hit or miss and leaves you too vulnerable. The retro is like a rifle/shotgun and will down quickly. If you sneak up on someone, you will down them with no problem and still keep enough distance between you and your foe without having to charge. If someone charges you with retro/gnasher/sawed off, use the sights with very quick bursts and you'll probably get a down before they get close, but if they do get on top of you just blind fire and circle strafe them. Turn your controller sensitivity up if you are getting beaten 1v1 against a guy with the gnasher. Against sawed off just make sure they miss with their first shot and you should get an easy kill due to their long reload time. To keep your kill just keep blind firing and circle strafing as they are down. It only took me a few matches to get the kills in KOTH, but I pretty much used the retro exclusively from the get-go.

Also, once May 8th hits and the friend beta codes go out there will be a fresh crop of beginners in the mix if you are struggling for kills, but if you play 90 games with the retro just to unlock it, you should be pretty handy with it when the kills start to count. ;)

I'm severely tempted to use the beta that's floating around the net - my friend said he did and hasn't been banned from the gow3 servers yet, but I'm skeptical...

Man i really miss guardian. That was the main game type i played in Gears 2 90% of the time. TDM and CTL doesnt cut it for me. TDM is boring because noobs waste most of the lives. CTL is more like submission to me, its not nearly as fun as Guardian imo. Part of the fun in Guardian was being able to kill the leader, now that thrill is gone. Picking up the leader just leaves you SUPER VULNERABLE to die, and makes me even question why i even try.

Man the lag is still there. Today i was playing a game on trenches and i shot an anya with my sawed off, i watched her splat apart, then one second later i die. WTF? How did i die when she was in 20 different pieces?

I don't think I'll get to 90 matches before I can unlock the Gold Retro.

Honestly though, the Retro Lancer is pretty terrible. The kickback is just INSANE.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't think I'll get to 90 matches before I can unlock the Gold Retro.

Honestly though, the Retro Lancer is pretty terrible. The kickback is just INSANE.[/QUOTE]

It's the best rifle in the game. Don't try to use it at long range, none of the assault rifles are good at long range. The Lancer is more accurate, but it takes half of your clip to down someone and you aren't going to land that many bullets across the map like that. Use the Retro just outside of shotgun range. It's a beast. It's also worth noting that it has very good hipfire.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't think I'll get to 90 matches before I can unlock the Gold Retro.

Honestly though, the Retro Lancer is pretty terrible. The kickback is just INSANE.[/QUOTE]
It's worth noting that if you join a game in progress at round 2 or 3, and a team wins before you got to play, it still counts the game toward your total for matches played...

At the end of each match, leave when the next match starts and search for another game that's far in progress. Once you hit 90 matches, only play King of the Hill and use your Gold Retro. You know people will be rushing the hill, so the "kills" will actually come to you if you're holding it.

I only played 10 matches a day and got the Golden Retro Lancer unlocked after 9 games. That's 99 games or matches total in 10 days. You still have time to get this.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I wonder why there's no flaming retro lancer. I dig the gold one, but it would have been nice.[/QUOTE]
The ad on Live now shows Marcus holding a Flaming Sawed Off Shotgun. Maybe they changed the ad to that because too many people were asking Epic how to unlock it?

I was hoping it would be what that "Special Weekend" Epic teased would be for. Something like, if you get so many kills or wins this weekend it would unlock that weapon skin.

It really annoys me to see people as the Leader deciding that they're officially Rambo and just run into the enemy base. Had a game end in under a minute because of that.

bread's done
Back