Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

There's an Event going on this whole week called Shotguns and Snipers, or something like that. It's the automatic, 4 shot sniper rifle and the gnasher, with a slightly modified grenade.

It's one more for War Supporter, so make sure you get it.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']There's an Event going on this whole week called Shotguns and Snipers, or something like that. It's the automatic, 4 shot sniper rifle and the gnasher, with a slightly modified grenade.

It's one more for War Supporter, so make sure you get it.[/QUOTE]

do you get a 1 shot snub too?

[quote name='100xp']do you get a 1 shot snub too?[/QUOTE]
I didn't notice, but it may be. I only used the pistol once to get the last kill on a guy I downed, and he only needed 1 shot.

Also, the grenades don't explode when planted, at least not immediately. You can still shoot them, but planting them doesn't work as effectively, and the blast radius of them is significantly lessened.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']I didn't notice, but it may be. I only used the pistol once to get the last kill on a guy I downed, and he only needed 1 shot.

Also, the grenades don't explode when planted, at least not immediately. You can still shoot them, but planting them doesn't work as effectively, and the blast radius of them is significantly lessened.[/QUOTE]

i recall planted frags used to s'plode me from 3 car distances away on some maps...it was more like getting hit by a rocket splash. I'm glad it's not as potent as it used to be.

The frag proximity reduction only applies to the Event Playlist going on now, unfortunately.

I guess this playlist will go into the weekend, as the Events are really supposed to be for the weekends. The guy who makes them is busy at the Game Developers Conference, so that's why he started it on Monday.

I wouldn't be at all surprised it if also was really started on Monday to try and keep people from jumping straight to Mass Effect 3's campaign and multiplayer.

I dont care about any sniper vs gnasher playlist. I hate playing snipers and they just hard aim at you while you are under cover. They need to have some kind of scorcher/incendiary event. Not sure why this hasnt happened yet. We pretty much got an event for every weapon except those.

Man i still have about 10,000 kills to go between hammerburst, heavy weapons, and pistol. Cant wait to get those over with.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I dont care about any sniper vs gnasher playlist. I hate playing snipers and they just hard aim at you while you are under cover. They need to have some kind of scorcher/incendiary event. Not sure why this hasnt happened yet. We pretty much got an event for every weapon except those.

Man i still have about 10,000 kills to go between hammerburst, heavy weapons, and pistol. Cant wait to get those over with.[/QUOTE]

I've gotten hard aimed during the wings event. worst time of my Gears MP career.

...maybe they'll have one for Burning Man.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']The frag proximity reduction only applies to the Event Playlist going on now, unfortunately.

I guess this playlist will go into the weekend, as the Events are really supposed to be for the weekends. The guy who makes them is busy at the Game Developers Conference, so that's why he started it on Monday.

I wouldn't be at all surprised it if also was really started on Monday to try and keep people from jumping straight to Mass Effect 3's campaign and multiplayer.
[/QUOTE]

damn...oh well.

need...

49 wins to get onyx match winner
266 more warzone matches to onyx that.

Those are the closest ones to onyx i have. lately ive just been boosting match types mainly. Got tired of grinding weapons. The good thing is i only have 3 weapons left. Most medals i need can be boosted AFK.

Has anyone seen any new media for the Forces of Nature DLC?

EDIT: Found a small batch:

med_Forces_Of_Nature_KeyArtRender.jpg

Love the Savage Grenadier, totally has a Spawn thing going on!

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...-3--Forces-of-Nature--DLC-Screens-Strike.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ryuukishi']So is there a new event for this weekend, or is Shotguns 'n' Snipers continuing?[/QUOTE]
Just Shotguns and Snipers.

I assume next week they'll have official information to talk about for the upcoming DLC.

I've got a quick question.

I've been playing a bunch of random Horde and have yet to see any of the Fenix Rising maps as one of the three options.

Has anyone else been able to play the FR maps on random Horde?

[quote name='GuitarMan']I've been playing a bunch of random Horde and have yet to see any of the Fenix Rising maps as one of the three options.

Has anyone else been able to play the FR maps on random Horde?[/QUOTE]
If you see people in the match who have white color ranks, or a Bronze set of wings, they probably lack the Fenix Rising Map Pack, which is why you're not getting it offered as a map selection.

If you need help getting the achievement for that map pack (50 Waves of Horde on any Fenix Rising Map), I'd help you get it. I already have done it on Escalation, so I'd prefer to do it on another map, since I hate seeing 0/50 showing on the other maps in my War Journal. Hopefully there's 3 other CAGs here who'd be willing to help you too, if you're interested.

Also, Forces of Nature achievements have been listed;
Natural Selection - 20G
(Complete all 12 waves of Beast on all Forces of Nature maps.)

Horde Natural - 20G
(Complete 20 waves of Horde on any Forces of Nature map without going down or dying.)

Unstoppable Force - 25G
(Complete all 50 waves of Horde on any of the Forces of Nature maps.)

Elemental - 25G
(Get 25 kills with any of the hidden elementally charged Cleavers in Horde.)

Stock Piled - 20G
(Achieve the maximum level on all fortifications in Horde mode.)

Force Multiplayer - 25G
(Win a match of Guardian on all Forces of Nature maps.)

Witty Repairtee - 25G
(Build or repair 50,000 worth of fortifications as Mechanic Baird LE.)

Hunter Gatherer - 20G
(Bag and Tag 20 opponents while playing as the Savage Hunter in Versus multiplayer (any mode).)

I've Got This! - 20G
(Kill 10 opponents as the leader in a round of Guardian on a Forces of Nature map.)

Force Multiplier - 50G
(Kill a Lambent Berserker with a team comprised of 5 Forces of Nature characters in Horde.)

Kill 10 opponents as the leader in guardian in one round? Hope you can do that private matches.

I still have to max out all fortifications in horde.

Either way im down for achievements the day this DLC comes out! :D

[quote name='The Ebbtide']
Stock Piled - 20G
(Achieve the maximum level on all fortifications in Horde mode.)[/QUOTE]
Including the Silverback? :cold:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Including the Silverback? :cold:[/QUOTE]

If I don't glitch out and if they don't add fortificatons/levels I am done with that one. Only one that looks hard would be the guardian one if it is only public matches (and has to be done on a specific set of maps) Knew I should have left some horde medals for the last dlc :)

Shall we set up a horde party for release night?

If you need help getting the achievement for that map pack (50 Waves of Horde on any Fenix Rising Map), I'd help you get it. I already have done it on Escalation, so I'd prefer to do it on another map, since I hate seeing 0/50 showing on the other maps in my War Journal. Hopefully there's 3 other CAGs here who'd be willing to help you too, if you're interested.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply Ebbtide. I kind of figured that was the case. I did Escalation too, with a CAG group...well one that was in early rounds.

I'm 19K to max out the Decoy, and forever on the SB. I haven't even unlocked the rockets yet. (grumbles about the Baird skin)

I'm down for Horde and the FoN achievements whenever.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Including the Silverback? :cold:[/QUOTE]
Someone asked this to an Epic employee on Twitter, and they answered that's it's retail specific. That means you only have to have it to level 2.

Similar to the I've Done It All achievement, which is specific to the ribbons that came with the game, this new one is specific to the levels in Horde that came with the game. Really lacks creativity, but at least people won't have to waste time playing to a level 5 Silverback. I guess you don't even need to upgrade the Command Center, as it wasn't include with the retail disc (...sort of).

[quote name='The 7th Number']Gears 3 calendar still shows the digger event, the rest is DLC advertisement. LOL Pathetic.[/QUOTE]
What seemed like a neat idea to inform the community of what was being altered in the game on the server side, and what was supposed to tell us what the upcoming Event Game would be (thus an Event Calendar), instead reflects the greed that has ensnared most companies.

I don't even get the point of it now, though. If you lack the DLC, it tells you to buy RAAM's Shadow in the Campaign section of the game, and the Versus area tells you under certain game types that you need specific DLCs to play. It's not like people don't know about them.

Got about 1600 execution matches done. These can be done fast. I have it where the old standoff rule is off, so i set it to 2 bots vs me with 1 minute. Even if they dont kill me, the match ends and i lose.

After that i have about 1000 more TDM, and a whole lot of KOTH, CTL, and Wingman. I only have the last 3 around the 300 match mark.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Someone asked this to an Epic employee on Twitter, and they answered that's it's retail specific. That means you only have to have it to level 2.[/QUOTE]
Ha, what a relief! I already have everything else to max, but getting Silverback from 3 to 5 would have taken forever.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Ha, what a relief! I already have everything else to max, but getting Silverback from 3 to 5 would have taken forever.[/QUOTE]

...or the incredible concerted effort by a bunch of boosting buddies.

I still want to unlock rockets.

[quote name='Blabadon']So...
What happened to Griffin?
[/QUOTE]
He ran away, vowing to come back and screw Marcus over someday. I think that was the last we saw of him.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
He ran away, vowing to come back and screw Marcus over someday. I think that was the last we saw of him.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly, anyone know if the comic explains more?

[quote name='Blabadon']Exactly, anyone know if the comic explains more?[/QUOTE]
This had been asked over at the Gears of War 3 forums, and I don't think anyone had an answer.

I kind of feel like they left it ambiguous as his only real point was to present how bad the COG looked to the stranded, reinforced by how pretty much everyone died but Griffin.

But it also felt like bad writing, leaving an open ended character who is either foe or just someone that will need to be rescued to change his mind about the COG. I don't read the books, but perhaps they'll incorporate him later into a future story.

And I actually like Ice-T's voice acting in the game. I was surprised with how many interviews he had to do, and all of the hype behind his character, that he was in the game for less than 10 minutes. A DLC to explain what happened would at least put closure on his story, and fit better with the game design...but with the Lambent and Locust dead, maybe it would have nowhere to go.

I really need to get the season pass, it seems. Gears 3 is pretty much useless for rank whores such as myself without being able to play ranked :lol:

This had been asked over at the Gears of War 3 forums, and I don't think anyone had an answer.

I kind of feel like they left it ambiguous as his only real point was to present how bad the COG looked to the stranded, reinforced by how pretty much everyone died but Griffin.

But it also felt like bad writing, leaving an open ended character who is either foe or just someone that will need to be rescued to change his mind about the COG. I don't read the books, but perhaps they'll incorporate him later into a future story.

And I actually like Ice-T's voice acting in the game. I was surprised with how many interviews he had to do, and all of the hype behind his character, that he was in the game for less than 10 minutes. A DLC to explain what happened would at least put closure on his story, and fit better with the game design...but with the Lambent and Locust dead, maybe it would have nowhere to go.
[/QUOTE]

I think they had made the game a little too comic-y for us to feel that way, but I agree that was their point.
I find it weird how poorly both big TPS, this and Uncharted 3, told their stories. About the ending, also:
The last battle felt so anticlimactic, and it really was weird how it all ended on some circle platform as compared to what they had to go through to reach their end areas in the previous two Gears.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I really need to get the season pass, it seems. Gears 3 is pretty much useless for rank whores such as myself without being able to play ranked :lol:[/QUOTE]

I recommend skipping DLC 1&2. Just buy DLC 3&4 to save some money.

I'm a couple hundred matches away from 3,000 Wingman matches. It's been a bitch trying to grind these fucking things out.

Got my onyx for execution, now im working on KOTH.

Also TU4 will be out tomorrow morning.

Here are the release notes of Title Update 4.
IMPROVEMENTS

• Savage Drone and Savage Grenadier can now “swat” turn in Beast mode
  • Spectator mode now starts viewing a player instead of a battle camera
  • Alternate control users in multiplayer will no longer look at DBNO characters when pressing R3
  • The crosshair for the Longshot and Hammerburst will now show an X if a shot is obstructed.
  • KOTH – ring locators are now visible in spectator mode
  • KOTH – some hill locations have been adjusted
BUG FIXES

• The Onyx Guard decoy in Horde will not drop his rifle after exhausting the Vulcan ammo
  • Clients will no longer be stuck with a “Waiting For Players” message up if the host quits Horde during the progression screen
  • Chainsaw audio loop will now persist for listeners who leave the audible range and re-enter it
  • Fixed some instances where special event ribbons would not be properly awarded
  • COG pistol firing rate has been adjusted to be equal on host and clients
  • The Flaming Retro Lancer is now available for attendees of the first special event
  • Fixed some issues fixed related to the destruction of meatbags
  • The Slab start up screen no longer has debug text
  • After a host migration in Horde, the waves will no longer go past 50
  • Cover near the elevator on Hotel no longer allows players to lean outside of the visible area
  • Grenade throwers that are killed mid-throw will receive credit for any kills that grenade causes
  • Silverback will be disabled if hit by a smoke grenade when the driver is in the middle of the exit animation
  • Team Deathmatch time limit no longer resets to 3 minutes when both teams are out of respawns

hmmmm

The Flaming Retro Lancer is now available for attendees of the first special event

nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The 7th Number']Got my onyx for execution, now im working on KOTH.

Also TU4 will be out tomorrow morning.

Here are the release notes of Title Update 4.
IMPROVEMENTS

• Savage Drone and Savage Grenadier can now “swat” turn in Beast mode
  • Spectator mode now starts viewing a player instead of a battle camera
  • Alternate control users in multiplayer will no longer look at DBNO characters when pressing R3
  • The crosshair for the Longshot and Hammerburst will now show an X if a shot is obstructed.
  • KOTH – ring locators are now visible in spectator mode
  • KOTH – some hill locations have been adjusted
BUG FIXES

• The Onyx Guard decoy in Horde will not drop his rifle after exhausting the Vulcan ammo
  • Clients will no longer be stuck with a “Waiting For Players” message up if the host quits Horde during the progression screen
  • Chainsaw audio loop will now persist for listeners who leave the audible range and re-enter it
  • Fixed some instances where special event ribbons would not be properly awarded
  • COG pistol firing rate has been adjusted to be equal on host and clients
  • The Flaming Retro Lancer is now available for attendees of the first special event
  • Fixed some issues fixed related to the destruction of meatbags
  • The Slab start up screen no longer has debug text
  • After a host migration in Horde, the waves will no longer go past 50
  • Cover near the elevator on Hotel no longer allows players to lean outside of the visible area
  • Grenade throwers that are killed mid-throw will receive credit for any kills that grenade causes
  • Silverback will be disabled if hit by a smoke grenade when the driver is in the middle of the exit animation
  • Team Deathmatch time limit no longer resets to 3 minutes when both teams are out of respawns

hmmmm

The Flaming Retro Lancer is now available for attendees of the first special event

nice![/QUOTE]

What's the first special event?

Not sure really, im guessing it was week 1 when you got the gold hammerburst and lancer. If you have those im guessing you will get the flaming retro. I could be wrong, guess you will find out tomorrow.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Update 4 out tomorrow morning: http://gearsblog.com/archive/gears-of-war-3-title-update-4-release-notes/

Edit: Ahh forgive me, I scanned the page before and didn't see the update talked about. I see it now.[/QUOTE]

Probably my fault for putting them in a spoiler. :lol:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So just to confirm, the flame retro lancer will be available with tomorrow's update, not right now...correct?[/QUOTE]

yes they will unlock tomorrow after the update.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Not sure really, im guessing it was week 1 when you got the gold hammerburst and lancer. If you have those im guessing you will get the flaming retro. I could be wrong, guess you will find out tomorrow.[/QUOTE]I thought those gold skins came from having the gold skins in Gears 2 and those were preorder bonuses.

Man i did 4 hours of KOTH and only got about 90 matches done. Thats about 2.6 minutes a match and loading in between. Guess that isnt too bad. I have 1 controller vs 2 bots on insane just hoping that would speed it up instead of against just 1 bot.

bread's done
Back