Gears of War - General Discussion 2 - Re-release 6/24 w/Maps and Extras (No PC Stuff)

I meant, when someone only uses the pistol and just runs around whipping. Since it has the fastest melee in the game and the stun factor, once you're hit by one shot of it, you're fucked.

Once I know someone is only going to go for whips, I just make sure to get some active reload shots for my longshot or shotty.

[quote name='zewone']I meant, when someone only uses the pistol and just runs around whipping. Since it has the fastest melee in the game and the stun factor, once you're hit by one shot of it, you're fucked.

Once I know someone is only going to go for whips, I just make sure to get some active reload shots for my longshot or shotty.[/QUOTE]

Well at least I have a habbit of pulling out the pistol at start... If I have to shoot I always choose it over the machine gun since it's better chancing at downing a man/locust. I pistol whip, but I don't rely on it... it's just a habbit.

i hope they update it so that all the people that already complain get pissed off even more and stop playing. Then finally maybe I can play some fun matches online without all the bitching.

sent it in. thanks for the email address. hope it makes a dent in their opinion for the next update coming out.

[quote name='Brak']I'm sure they'll care about your opinion.

You know... especially since you already purchased the product.[/quote]

I hate it when people say stuff like this. It's a really jaded thing to say, even if it's true. Obviously they made an amazing game, but it's not perfect - so if the guy wants to send in his two cents, I think it's good.

I don't know that it would really help if they added ranked clan match making. I think most people that love to currently play ranked with their friends would continue to circumvent the system and play regular ranked matches because they love to play against random players -> easier to beat.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']1. That is the point of active reloads, extra damage.)[/QUOTE]
Extra damage is fine, put them on the verge of going down with an active reload bodyshot. The way it is now is completely unbalanced, especially when you add in the snipers stun melee. It's a shame too, because except for this huge problem the sniper in this game is completely balanced.
[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']2. Why else melee if it has no advantage (that is, no stun)?[/QUOTE]
There is a difference between advantage and unfair advantage. Halo melees didn't have stun and were completely useful and yet still balanced.

I mean, what was the point of the chainsaw in this game? The stun melee does the exact same thing except with more advantages and much less disadvantages. Hell, the Lancer would be a much better gun if it just had a regular melee on it instead.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I don't know that it would really help if they added ranked clan match making. I think most people that love to currently play ranked with their friends would continue to circumvent the system and play regular ranked matches because they love to play against random players -> easier to beat.[/quote]

I don't know about that. With the amount of impatient motherfuckers playing this game, I think they'd much rather get into the game as fast as possible and play the least amount of lobby as possible. I know I would.

[quote name='Puzznic']Extra damage is fine, put them on the verge of going down with an active reload bodyshot. The way it is now is completely unbalanced, especially when you add in the snipers stun melee. It's a shame too, because except for this huge problem the sniper in this game is completely balanced.

There is a difference between advantage and unfair advantage. Halo melees didn't have stun and were completely useful and yet still balanced.

I mean, what was the point of the chainsaw in this game? The stun melee does the exact same thing except with more advantages and much less disadvantages. Hell, the Lancer would be a much better gun if it just had a regular melee on it instead.[/quote]

There's nothing else an active reload bodyshot with the sniper could do. I love it, probably because I use it often.

Halo 2 melees were completely unbalanced. You could 'lock on' to your oppoenent and fly 10 feet towards him and melee him. I'm not saying I prefer Gears' melees, and I admit they're completely unbalanced, but I wouldn't exactly call Halo's balanced.

The chainsaw is its gimmick. It's one reason it sets itself aside from other shooters. The stun melee isn't the same exact thing, as you can get out of it sometimes. (Even if it is 15% of the time.) I'd much rather get melee'd and get a lucky shotgun shot out than get chainsawed and have no chance whatsoever.

[quote name='Trakan']There's nothing else an active reload bodyshot with the sniper could do. I love it, probably because I use it often.[/QUOTE]
An active reload shot should put you just on the edge of going down. Sniper bodyshots are pretty much the Gears equivalent of the plasma pistol in Halo. Headshots take skill, bodyshots...not so much.

[quote name='Trakan']Halo 2 melees were completely unbalanced. You could 'lock on' to your oppoenent and fly 10 feet towards him and melee him. I'm not saying I prefer Gears' melees, and I admit they're completely unbalanced, but I wouldn't exactly call Halo's balanced.

The chainsaw is its gimmick. It's one reason it sets itself aside from other shooters. The stun melee isn't the same exact thing, as you can get out of it sometimes. (Even if it is 15% of the time.) I'd much rather get melee'd and get a lucky shotgun shot out than get chainsawed and have no chance
whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Halo 2 is a wildly unbalanced game but the regular melees were never a problem for me. If anything the range you can hit people in Gears is much farther, especially with the Torque, Sniper, and Boomshot.

The chainsaw has 3 things going against it that make it fairly balanced.
-You have to rev it up
-If someone shoots you while your reving, it cancels it out
-You have to commit to the chainsaw. Meaning once you start sawing, someone on the other team can just come up blast you with the shotty as soon as the saw animation is over.

None of those things apply to a stun melee. I would rather fight a chainsaw guy everytime.

I don't think the longshot is unbalanced. Most people suck with it (myself included) and the chances that they end up getting active reload and hit someone is usually fairly slim. Maybe the melee is too strong, but it should be IMO due to how big the weapon is.

[quote name='Brak']I'm sure they'll care about your opinion.

You know... especially since you already purchased the product.[/QUOTE]
You're are a fucking idiot.

Epic has been working full-time on improving GoW, and they've been implementing good user feedback wherever possible.

That idea of strategizing between rounds is a decent idea, it won't be implemented though unless it's requested by a good portion of the gamerbase.

As for the host name, they're trying to keep things fair. Until they can set up a party system that allows all gamers to connect to ranked games with their friends, then it's silly having people go the roundabout way and connect to hosts. I must say I do like playing with the same host a few rounds in R6:V, but I'd much preffer if they implimented a party system for Ranked games.

[quote name='PyroGamer']As for the host name, they're trying to keep things fair. Until they can set up a party system that allows all gamers to connect to ranked games with their friends, then it's silly having people go the roundabout way and connect to hosts. I must say I do like playing with the same host a few rounds in R6:V, but I'd much preffer if they implimented a party system for Ranked games.[/QUOTE]

Well said... I know at this point many are saying that Epic shouldn't waste their time implementing a party/matchmaking system because it's already easy to join ranked games with friends. The problem is you have to jump threw hoops and work around the system to do so and you'll be teamed up with a group of friends but the other team will likely not be. I think it's still important for the sake of better competition. In my opinion, it's always better when 2 well formed teams using strategy and communication go head to head, instead of one team of friends vs. another team of randomly grouped people.

As for von551, I advise that if you seriously want to bring about change and don't just want to vent your frustrations, make sure you write a cohesive, well thought out message and keep it civil.

I don't have a problem with the active reload long shot. Not only is it very difficult to hit someone with, but you have to hit them in the torso for it to down them. I don't know anyone that can do that 5 out of 5 times.

[quote name='Puzznic']An active reload shot should put you just on the edge of going down. Sniper bodyshots are pretty much the Gears equivalent of the plasma pistol in Halo. Headshots take skill, bodyshots...not so much.

Halo 2 is a wildly unbalanced game but the regular melees were never a problem for me. If anything the range you can hit people in Gears is much farther, especially with the Torque, Sniper, and Boomshot.

-You have to rev it up
-You have to commit to the chainsaw. Meaning once you start sawing, someone on the other team can just come up blast you with the shotty as soon as the saw animation is over.

None of those things apply to a stun melee. I would rather fight a chainsaw guy everytime.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's my state of mind, but I don't find the game to be unbalanced that much. Everything has it's counter and think it was CliffyB himself that said it is like a giant game of "Rock Paper Scissors"

If someone is aiming you down with the sniper just roll around like crazy and pull some reggie bush jukes.
someone is rushing you with the chainsaw, bust out the shotty and blast em once and they are all yours.
if you get meleed just try your best to roll away. sometimes you make it sometimes you won't.

Everything has a fairly decent counter in this game, it is just playing it enough to learn how and when to use all the methods.

Truth is, there is no such thing as a balanced game. To have a game that is perfectly balanced is ideal for competition, but it would never be playable and die out quickly. A balanced game would mean this:

1. Same character skins so that no one is a bigger target (ie. Locust robe or Cole's huge physique).

2. Eliminate asymmetrical maps like Escalation.

2. There would only be one gun so that it's always paper-paper, rock-rock, and scissors-scissors.

The game would be so dull no one would play it. Imagine Street Fighter with just the character Ken (easy to play, easy to learn, easy to master, good priority, hard hitter so why spend time learning hard-to-master characters like Dhalsim and Zangief?). Everyone hates being blasted by a rampant wildin' out shotgunner when you are playing all tactical with a rifle but the point is that the shotgun is the top-tier weapon. You just have to deal with it that the shotgun will have a higher killing ratio than all the other weapons combined.

Variety = unbalanced
Stagnant = balanced (boring)

Play Street Fighter 2 for a month. Then go play Naruto GCN and DBZ Tenkaichi.

[quote name='Puzznic']
-You have to rev it up

None of those things apply to a stun melee. I would rather fight a chainsaw guy everytime.[/QUOTE]

Your argument was lost here. The chainsaw is the only thing I would consider "pussy" or "noob" in my book as I can suck you in with the chainsaw from 5-10 feet out. At least when I melee with the pistol I have to do it right up on you. If you can't shotgun good, thats not our problems. Good people will shotgun/lance/etc you everytime for running up on them.

As for your gripe with the sniper rifle, my favorite thing to do with snipers is run up on them from a side they least expect and tag them. By the time they realize I am long gone. 70% of my kills against snipers, the sniper had no clue that I was there. The other times the sniper miss 2-3 times before I took them down. I would say about 15% of the people I played against can use the sniper effiently. The rest can easily be picked off with some other method of kill.

[quote name='PyroGamer']You're are a fucking idiot.[/QUOTE]
You're an uneducated fucking idiot.

Go read Epic's numerous remarks, reasons and excuses for not including a party matchmaking system -- It's probably not going to happen. Regardless, a lot of players viewed the lack of a party system as an oversight, when it was intentional.

Now, I admire your tangent of how Epic is still striving the make Gears of War current and playable, but that really has nothing to do with my initial post, in which got you digitally infuriated enough to call me a fucking idiot, you fucking idiot:

'm sure they'll care about your opinion.

You know... especially since you already purchased the product.

Yes; that may have been a little extreme, but I believe it's true. I may have been catering to the extreme, hypocritical comments of "I'LL NEVER PLAY GEARS OF WAR AGAIN!!!", upon the announcement of removing host names from the quickmatch / custom match menus -- but the facts remain the same: It wasn't an oversight -- it was a design / balance choice.

One man's "idea", which mirrors the idea of many online forums, is either already known (guarantee they've been emailed for this numerous times, as they've addressed it in online interviews and magazines) or is on deaf ears (as it was their intent).

If you have any ideas, you could post them on their forums:
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/

[quote name='Puzznic']An active reload shot should put you just on the edge of going down. [/QUOTE]
That's what a regular Longshot shot does. If the active reload didn't put you down, then they're would be no point in taking your time to get the perfect reload.

The only problem I see with the active reload is that there is no system in place which regulates how and when you are able to get an active reload. That is why I always fire off two shotgun shots in the opening before switching back to the Lancer because I know my foe most likely has two open slots ready for some perfect reload shotgun shells as well.

Do unto others as you would like others to do unto you.

Do unto others as you would like others to before others do unto you. (much better version IMO)

[quote name='nintendokid']The only problem I see with the active reload is that there is no system in place which regulates how and when you are able to get an active reload. That is why I always fire off two shotgun shots in the opening before switching back to the Lancer because I know my foe most likely has two open slots ready for some perfect reload shotgun shells as well.

Do unto others as you would like others to do unto you.

Do unto others as you would like others to before others do unto you. (much better version IMO)[/QUOTE]
You know that those charged bullets wear off, after a while, if not used.

Maybe it is just because I am getting owned again (have not played much because of my Xbox being broken), but the glitching and power of the shotgun is starting to drive me crazy. Before the patch the shotgun didn't seem as powerful to me. Now I keep getting blown away constantly.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Maybe it is just because I am getting owned again (have not played much because of my Xbox being broken), but the glitching and power of the shotgun is starting to drive me crazy. Before the patch the shotgun didn't seem as powerful to me. Now I keep getting blown away constantly.[/quote]

I think it's just in your mind. Everyday I see people get better and better. Soon, it'll be like Halo 2 in which no one sucks anymore and everyone is toe-to-toe.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Maybe it is just because I am getting owned again (have not played much because of my Xbox being broken), but the glitching and power of the shotgun is starting to drive me crazy. Before the patch the shotgun didn't seem as powerful to me. Now I keep getting blown away constantly.[/QUOTE]

Power of shotgun is the same. It is still the best weapon a host can use ;)

I personally have been playing Warzone for the first time in a couple weeks so I can get my pistol achievement. For some reason, I am sucking bad in it compared to Execution. I guess people play differently between the two. Also, I am hating some of the people that play warzone. I melee people down and yet people steal my kills by coming up after I take them down and shooting them. People if you arent in a crazy firefight, you know who you take down... stop stealing kills.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Maybe it is just because I am getting owned again (have not played much because of my Xbox being broken), but the glitching and power of the shotgun is starting to drive me crazy. Before the patch the shotgun didn't seem as powerful to me. Now I keep getting blown away constantly.[/quote]

Its not just you, I constantly play and before the patch I could honestly say that I was good at the shotgun but after the patch I get blown away 99% of the time. I mostly use pistol whipping, chainsaw, and grenades now.

[quote name='nintendokid']I think it's just in your mind. Everyday I see people get better and better. Soon, it'll be like Halo 2 in which no one sucks anymore and everyone is toe-to-toe.[/quote]

That will never happen. There's way too much host advantage.

[quote name='Trakan']That will never happen. There's way too much host advantage.[/QUOTE]

I just hate when good players host in friendly matches. I know a few people that always try to host even though they get a large number of kills without it. I wish people would let the weaker players host, it makes the game much more fun.

I am just going to chime in one more time about the Longshot and then I won't bring it up again. I think I would be ok with the active reload snipe if they would just take off it's stun melee. If I can manage not to get shot at long and mid-range distance than i shouldn't have to deal with that BS when I get close. There is a sweet spot that is too far for them too melee but too close for them to shoot accurately but it's not that easy too get and it can be kind of frustrating.

Goddamnit! I fucking hate this game yet I can't stop playing it. I'm fucking sick of the shotgun. Epic ruined this game for me after they patched it. Loved it before, its a pain in the ass now.

[quote name='getmyrunon']So much bitching. I haven't played online for 2 months, I take it i'm in for a rude awakening :)[/quote]

Hell no, just get some friends to play with and you'll ahve blast! OTher wise, you'll have fun, but might only last for an hour or so, then youll wanna paly something else. People jsut complain too much (P.S. Try blind firing with the shotgun once and a while for soem clutch kills)

Linkin there was no change with the shotgun after the patch. Maybe you need to get some boys to back you up or something.

[quote name='help1']Hell no, just get some friends to play with and you'll ahve blast! OTher wise, you'll have fun, but might only last for an hour or so, then youll wanna paly something else. People jsut complain too much (P.S. Try blind firing with the shotgun once and a while for soem clutch kills)[/QUOTE]

Blind firing is definitely the trick. I destroy people with the shotgun because I can practically thread a needle with a blind fire now. I only aim in if the person isn't aimed towards me, if they are behind cover, or if i just want to change it up to throw someone off.

Just aim the front of your body towards someone and shoot. Pull pack the right stick a bit if you want to get more head shots

[quote name='Erillian']Linkin there was no change with the shotgun after the patch. Maybe you need to get some boys to back you up or something.[/quote]

I do hear this from about 50% of the people I talk to yet I can't seem to get it to work. I seriously haven't stopped playing since launch and I was fine until the patch came out. I'm also considering the fact that maybe everyone became pro at this game.

Could it be that maybe people are finding their nitch or finding a way to best use the map or to use certain guns. Maybe not "becoming pro" but just really learning the game. I know I am able to have a better understanding of how a fight will go down in what location and what will win the fight and what will not. Maybe people just wised up to the game making it seem like they turned pro when in fact they just are start to figure stuff out. Lets face it when the game first came out no one knew what the hell they were doing and it was easy to get a lot of shotgun kills on unsuspecting people. Times have changed since then.

I haven't noticed a change with the shotgun. Blindfiring is what I mostly use, I aim if my opponent is sluggish.

Also people are generally better now than they were before.

To ryles and Brak, sorry I didnt accept your invites last night. My one friend was over and we wanted to beat Act 3 on Insane. Right after I went to bed.

Is there anyway to check either in game or on Xbox Live.com how many more of any given stat it will take until you get the achievement?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Is there anyway to check either in game or on Xbox Live.com how many more of any given stat it will take until you get the achievement?[/quote]

Go to Xbox Live > Leaderboads. Select All-time, and look at whatever gametype you play.

They show how far you are along for some of the weapons, and don't show others.

I experienced my first glitch run and shotgun opponent yesterday. I didn't even know what it was because he ran too far past me on top of the sniper area of Gridlock and took cover accidentally and I chainsawed him. I thought it was just bad lag. It was after the round in which I heard my teammates offering not-so-good words.

On a ranked match today, a mofo actually did it again and I finally saw how cheap it was and was taken down by him. Fortunately, his teammates were against his cheating and he stopped and we raped them 5-2.

Any other suprises I should know about?

bobthecat, I managed to get onto GoW today and am still waiting for my box from Microsoft. Still, it was fun and I hope to play again with you sometime. Hopefully you read this message.

[quote name='Trakan']Go to Xbox Live > Leaderboads. Select All-time, and look at whatever gametype you play.

They show how far you are along for some of the weapons, and don't show others.[/quote]
Where is Leaderboards on the site? By the way, send me a friend request.

[quote name='seanr1221']To ryles and Brak, sorry I didnt accept your invites last night. My one friend was over and we wanted to beat Act 3 on Insane. Right after I went to bed.[/QUOTE]

just don't let it happen again. :)

Awesome game last night, thanks for the invite Brak, Ryles, Zewone, CheapyD, Jimmie Mac, & IsmashHotChicks (sorry forgot your cag name). :bow:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Awesome game last night, thanks for the invite Brak, Ryles, Zewone, CheapyD, Jimmie Mac, & IsmashHotChicks (sorry forgot your cag name). :bow:[/quote]
..speaking of which, let's get a Gears game going tonight. I've been away from this game far too long.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']..speaking of which, let's get a Gears game going tonight. I've been away from this game far too long.[/quote]

I should be on tonight, shoot me an invite when you see me on. I won't reject this time, I've been practicing a lot ;)

[quote name='felixlighter']... I know this is ridiculously off topic but why were you planning on going to Penn State?...[/quote]

Hah, to stay at my friends apartment, because I've never been there. Plus they made a new pong table I wanted to try out :lol:

Ah well, I might just go during my spring break, which is a week before PSUs

[quote name='seanr1221']Hah, to stay at my friends apartment, because I've never been there. Plus they made a new pong table I wanted to try out :lol:

Ah well, I might just go during my spring break, which is a week before PSUs[/quote]

:beer:PONG?

JK.

I'll be on tonight so if someone wants to invite me feel free...

I've been practicing up, please add me to friends lists.

I am too tired of the kids yelling 'nigga' in my ears all day....

bread's done
Back